PDA

View Full Version : Should Matt Retire?

Boomer
06-05-2009, 02:27 AM
I'm back in Afghanistan and my two week trek back to the good ol US of A couldn't have been better. Of course as soon as I arrived back here I had quite a few folks asking about the fight and wanted details and pictures and everything that goes along with going to an event that captures peoples attention. There has been one reoccurring theme in most of my conversations around UFC 98 and that is the one of Matt's decision not to retire. Some are surprised and some question if this decision is right. With the recent “Changing of the guard” talk and Matt's recent losses to GSP and Alves there is a perception by some that Matt should pass the torch and stop trying to carry it himself. I whole hardly disagree with this. Since bringing facts together to paint the full picture is what I do for a living … let me lend a bit of my analytical insight into this russel of discussion that is creeping around the Hughes camp.

Like I said, I have had a few of these convo's in the few days I've been back and read a few things here and there on the internet. Most people I talk to just ask if Matt's age is hurting his ability to compete at the level the UFC offers and of course my answer is “no”. After a few base reasons of why I believe this, they seem to easily agree with my reasoning and move on. I did however have a fellow analyst, who is quite the MMA fan and chose to mentally spar with me on this subject. (I think more or less he did it just to get me going rather then any real convection to his option. Kinda like a Cardinals fan ribbing a Cubs fan just to get under the skin.) The basics of his argument boiled down to two issues:

1)Matt's age is a factor that can't be ignored according to him. Eventually younger fighters, even without the skill and experience of a vet, will have an advantage just based on what their bodies can do. He gave the examples of Chuck and Randy and Shamrock so on ….. this is the “changing of the guard” talk I referred to earlier.
2)Matt Serra was not the same caliber of fighter that Matt has his two most recent losses to. He wanted to know what was the bases for my belief that Matt could still be considered a player for the WW belt.

Admittedly I was annoyed at these presumptions, which in part was his goal … but again were also formed out of just surface knowledge of issues and nothing of real substance. Since these questions also might be on the minds of some other fans of Matt, ( I read a few on the blog post) I figured I'd share my responses to him, that by his own admission trumped his poorly thought out conclusions.

1)I started with Matt is not as old as Chuck (39), Randy (44) or any of the others he named. Four or five fighter years can be measured like dog years …. they multiply. Matt being only at 35 and the way he takes care of his body still makes him a contender against the most skilled 24 year old in the realm of speed, agility and strength. I have no doubt about that.

My answer to this question prompted his second question of, well how do you explain those recent losses?

2)I responded what I see as true around those last two losses. Now let me caveat this with I'm not making excuses for Matt not winning. Losses happen. I am however examining all the critical facts around those events to address the questions some have of, “Should Matt retire?” First the loss to greasy Georges at UFC 79. This fight was originally going to be the fight with Matt Serra. After training for the Serra fight, Serra had to pull out last minute because of a back injury. Now with all of the Hughes fans weeks away from the event and we all already had non-refundable plane tickets, hotel reservations and event tickets with no other purpose for going other then to see Matt, him not fighting would have caused an unquenchable uproar that would probably still be heard in the highest level of the heavens to this day. Matt wanting to put on a good show, came forward with the grudge match against GSP to give us all something to ease our Serra pull out woes. GSP is a totally different style of fighter then Serra and it effects your game. Also ….. he was greasy. :D I believe that if Matt had the right time to train for greasy Georges … he'd have his number. The Alves fight still puts a fire under me in that I think his camp did some strategic posturing before the event to give him an edge in the fight. The facts around that are that Alves was coming off a suspension for the illegal use of diuretics and at UFC 85 he came in to a HEADLINE fight 4 pounds over weight. Other facts around this include this was also a short notice fight in that Matt was filling in for Chuck who had to pull out with an injury at the last minute. The UFC needed a fighter with a built in draw for the British fans. Matt was that answer. Cutting weight before a fight is apart of the fight game and effects your ability to perform the next day. Alves already proved that he needed help in cutting by using illegal substances to assist him in previous bouts. The strategic posture I believe coming from the Alves camp was that they knew Matt wouldn't back out of this fight if Alves didn't make weight. Matt wouldn't leave the UFC or Dana hanging like that … and a win over Matt was greatly needed to advance Thiago's career as a major contender for the belt. Being four pounds over in a HEADLINER fight to me shows they didn't really try. Thiago monopolized on the circumstances around the fight to come in at an advantage against Matt. Besides that fact and the short notice to fight over seas, the flying knee didn't knock Matt out. I've watched the DVD over and over. It was Matt's knee turning at a 90 degree angle on the fall down. Matt's already proven he can take damage to deal it. It was just a bad fall. I would love to see this rematch.

Again I'm not making excuses. A loss is a loss is a loss and I'm sure Matt probably doesn't really care about what people are saying about his decision not to retire. These are also 100% my opinions . . . But, I think it's only fair that a man that has given us 50 extraordinary professional fights in his career, out of which 43 he had his hand raised at the end, deserves a little bit more credit in supporting his decision to not hang it up. Matt is a competitor and he'll continually evolve his game to meet to challenges ahead. When he does make the decision to stop fighting, it will be at the right time for the right reasons.

In the mean time .. us die hard Hughes fans love this decision and still have at least one more call to war to get ready for.

St. Louie … here we come....

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Ok, now that ran a little too long for me ( as you may have guessed) but I got the "jist" of it. I really, in my heart, believe that Matt should do whatever he wants to do but in many ways, I agree with your friend.
Todays fighters are different.They started younger and were taught every MMA there is from day one.They seem to be more "hungry" then Matt ever seemed to be and I believe that has been because...well...Matt Hughes has a life:laugh: Seriously, when he's not training for a fight he just has so much to his life.Most of the other up and comers...fighting is their life.When they aren't training and fighting they are promoting via clinics mma movies, games. Like I said, it's their life. So, for a few short years, they are on top.
It's unrealistic to think that someone, even Matt Hughes can stay on top forever.And as with anything, age is going to matter as the years go by.
I'll pick Matt over anyone any day but there has been a fight or two that I was worried ( GSP the second time & Alves) but I'll back Matt Hughes to the day I die but that's because I'm a nuthugger and not afraid to admit it :laugh: Besides...look at that record! :w00t:
Someone being your friend doesnt make them better, younger,stronger,faster,more skilled.With that said I'll be cheering for Matt, yelling at him to get up if he gets knocked down, lose my appetite when he's getting ready to fight and wear my Team Hughes tshirt til the last thread tears.

WAR HUGHES! :w00t:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Ok, now that ran a little too long for me ( as you may have guessed) but I got the "jist" of it. I really, in my heart, believe that Matt should do whatever he wants to do but in many ways, I agree with your friend.
Todays fighters are different.They started younger and were taught every MMA there is from day one.They seem to be more "hungry" then Matt ever seemed to be and I believe that has been because...well...Matt Hughes has a life:laugh: Seriously, when he's not training for a fight he just has so much to his life.Most of the other up and comers...fighting is their life.When they aren't training and fighting they are promoting via clinics mma movies, games. Like I said, it's their life. So, for a few short years, they are on top.
It's unrealistic to think that someone, even Matt Hughes can stay on top forever.And as with anything, age is going to matter as the years go by.
I'll pick Matt over anyone any day but there has been a fight or two that I was worried ( GSP the second time & Alves) but I'll back Matt Hughes to the day I die but that's because I'm a nuthugger and not afraid to admit it :laugh: Besides...look at that record! :w00t:
Someone being your friend doesnt make them better, younger,stronger,faster,more skilled.With that said I'll be cheering for Matt, yelling at him to get up if he gets knocked down, lose my appetite when he's getting ready to fight and wear my Team Hughes tshirt til the last thread tears.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! SOMEONE GET A ROPE!!!! :fighting0092:

:D :laugh:

I think that at one point in his life fighting was everything. He gave up coaching, girl friend, vocation of being an electrician, lived on is managers couch .... I think he has progressed past that and now does have more of a focus on his family (which is right) ... but he has already paid his dues to get to where he is at. I believe all of his experience allows him to adapt his game more readily then someone with just a hand full of fights under the belt.

I know he can't stay on top forever ... I just don't think forever has come yet. :wink: AND I don't think I'm looking at this through a friend filter .... :tongue0011:

Mac
06-05-2009, 03:32 AM
The way i see it , Matt will hang em up when Matt wants to hang em up . Noone will decide that but him and noones presumtions will persaude him one way or the other.

Matt has a gift, he knows it , we all know it . Its a gift that not many people are blessed with . Personally i dont want to see him retire, do i think he SHOULD retire , well that gets a big HELL NO from this guy. I have agreed with Booms analsys of the fights since i first saw them . When rogan hollered that Matt was knocked out by a flyingknee i said bull****. That knee clearly hits Matt in the shoulder and doesnt come within 3 inches of his head. Like Boom said , it was a bad fall and alves took advantage of it as any fighter would do , plus i also agree that coming in overweight was part of his gameplan , Slip n SlidePierre is self explanitory.

When it comes right down to it , Matt is going to do whatever he wants to do , if the man wants to fight , then clear a path cause no bodys gonna stop him . If he wants to hang em up then ill be one of the first to pat him on the back and say good run buddy . But until that day comes , Ill wait for the next bout to be called.

I tell ya what i get a kick out of . Living in a small town folks know who knows who etc etc . Leading up to Matts fights is pretty neat , the amount of support he gets from folks that dont post on the internet , or have never met him that he doesnt know about is amazing . For instance , for this last fight at 98 , 3 weeks out from the fight , i would be heading into the gas station of a morning to get an ice tea or somethign and someone would stop me ," Hey , hows Matt doin , Is his trainging going good " or , " You talk to Matt latley ? Next time you do tell him we are all pulling for him" I litterally got flagged down in the middle of the road and had a couple younger guys run up to me in the truck they said " Matt is awsome , Tell him we will be screaming for the win come saturday night" . And this wasnt a once a week occurance , it was everyday. Folks just going nuts , wanting Matt to know that they were all behind him 110%

Hes got a gift and he has been blessed , he gets to go do something he enjoys , Can live comfortably on the income , still allows him to spend lots of time with his family , and he gets to do something that brings excitment and joy to alot of other folks . Would you want to walk away from that job ? Lemme tell ya , if i had those tallents i sure wouldnt .

Sorry for the rambling , kinda incoherrant in spots but youll get the jist.

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 03:37 AM
Why are you always so mean to me? :cry:

:laugh:

Yes, fighting used to be Matt's life...years ago.He grew up, matured, got a whole life...not looking through a friend filter....my ass :laugh:

Still, like I said, I'm always going to root for Matt. I'd fight to the death for him...heck I'd even argue the point with him:laugh:

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!! SOMEONE GET A ROPE!!!! :fighting0092:

:D :laugh:

I think that at one point in his life fighting was everything. He gave up coaching, girl friend, vocation of being an electrician, lived on is managers couch .... I think he has progressed past that and now does have more of a focus on his family (which is right) ... but he has already paid his dues to get to where he is at. I believe all of his experience allows him to adapt his game more readily then someone with just a hand full of fights under the belt.

I know he can't stay on top forever ... I just don't think forever has come yet. :wink: AND I don't think I'm looking at this through a friend filter .... :tongue0011:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 03:44 AM
:cool: Couldn't have said it better.

And I get the same thing Mac from folks I work with, to military people I'm around. As soon as one of his fights rolls around the love starts pouring out. :laugh:

The way i see it , Matt will hang em up when Matt wants to hang em up . Noone will decide that but him and noones presumtions will persaude him one way or the other.

Matt has a gift, he knows it , we all know it . Its a gift that not many people are blessed with . Personally i dont want to see him retire, do i think he SHOULD retire , well that gets a big HELL NO from this guy. I have agreed with Booms analsys of the fights since i first saw them . When rogan hollered that Matt was knocked out by a flyingknee i said bull****. That knee clearly hits Matt in the shoulder and doesnt come within 3 inches of his head. Like Boom said , it was a bad fall and alves took advantage of it as any fighter would do , plus i also agree that coming in overweight was part of his gameplan , Slip n SlidePierre is self explanitory.

When it comes right down to it , Matt is going to do whatever he wants to do , if the man wants to fight , then clear a path cause no bodys gonna stop him . If he wants to hang em up then ill be one of the first to pat him on the back and say good run buddy . But until that day comes , Ill wait for the next bout to be called.

I tell ya what i get a kick out of . Living in a small town folks know who knows who etc etc . Leading up to Matts fights is pretty neat , the amount of support he gets from folks that dont post on the internet , or have never met him that he doesnt know about is amazing . For instance , for this last fight at 98 , 3 weeks out from the fight , i would be heading into the gas station of a morning to get an ice tea or somethign and someone would stop me ," Hey , hows Matt doin , Is his trainging going good " or , " You talk to Matt latley ? Next time you do tell him we are all pulling for him" I litterally got flagged down in the middle of the road and had a couple younger guys run up to me in the truck they said " Matt is awsome , Tell him we will be screaming for the win come saturday night" . And this wasnt a once a week occurance , it was everyday. Folks just going nuts , wanting Matt to know that they were all behind him 110%

Hes got a gift and he has been blessed , he gets to go do something he enjoys , Can live comfortably on the income , still allows him to spend lots of time with his family , and he gets to do something that brings excitment and joy to alot of other folks . Would you want to walk away from that job ? Lemme tell ya , if i had those tallents i sure wouldnt .

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Oh Mac, your post was way better then mine and Boomer's :cry:

Mac
06-05-2009, 03:50 AM
:cool: Couldn't have said it better.

And I get the same thing Mac from folks I work with, to military people I'm around. As soon as one of his fights rolls around the love starts pouring out. :laugh:

Yeah , its crazy ha ha ha . Ive never gotten into sports really , unless it involved engines and 80% of the spectators were in cut offs or overalls lol. Its sad but true . My dad is the smae way , just always had something id rather do than sit in an easy chair and watch somebody run a foot ball down field. But Matt changed that for the both of us . Ive never seen my dad get excited over anything on the television or to deal with sports. Well unless he is yelling at obama when he is talkingon tv . But the ole man was up and out of his chair and hollerin loud that night , some of the stuff i cant repeat here but thats the most excited ive seen my dad in awhile. And today after work he walks up to me and get this , he says " Hey , were can i get me a team hughes shirt, everbody else has one and i dont" ha ha ha , never thought i would see the day.

Michelle you are right on some points , Matt has a family and understandably he enjoys that more than fighting , when it comes right down to it , like i said , hes gonna do what he wants to do , and the true fans will back him whichever road he wants to take.

Miss Foxy
06-05-2009, 03:51 AM
I think Matt should do what he feels is in his best interest. I would be sad don't get me wrong if he retired, however only he knows whats best. If he still chose to fight more power to him. Yes, the fighting styles and techniques are definitely changing....but Matt is so damn strong and he can give a good beating and he aint a punk when hit..No matter what choice he makes he will always be my #1 fighter and no one nor retirement will ever take that away...All these new and even some of the old guys need to always remember and respect his legacy.:wink:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 03:53 AM
Oh Mac, your post was way better then mine and Boomer's :cry:

Well, Michelle's for sure .......

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 03:55 AM
Suck it Boom.

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 03:56 AM
County Mike taught me that by the way :w00t:

Mac
06-05-2009, 03:56 AM

LMAO . Well its michells post , thats not hard to beat . Its like going to a cook off and being surprised that a 24 oz porter house wins over a boiled oscar meyer wiener .

But we thought it was good Michelle........... Honest Injun we did.............:Whistle: :Whistle: :Whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 03:58 AM
:sign0006:

LMAO . Well its michells post , thats not hard to beat . Its like going to a cook off and being surprised that a 24 oz porter house wins over a boiled oscar meyer wiener .

But we thought it was good Michelle........... Honest Injun we did.............:Whistle: :Whistle: :Whistle: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 03:58 AM
Same same buddy ..... only mine weren't engines and cut offs ... but church pews and music. :blink: :laugh:

I got a few of those team hughes baseball style shirts i printed up for Vegas left. I held one off for you .. and tell your pops I have one for him too. :wink:

Yeah , its crazy ha ha ha . Ive never gotten into sports really , unless it involved engines and 80% of the spectators were in cut offs or overalls lol. Its sad but true . My dad is the smae way , just always had something id rather do than sit in an easy chair and watch somebody run a foot ball down field. But Matt changed that for the both of us . Ive never seen my dad get excited over anything on the television or to deal with sports. Well unless he is yelling at obama when he is talkingon tv . But the ole man was up and out of his chair and hollerin loud that night , some of the stuff i cant repeat here but thats the most excited ive seen my dad in awhile. And today after work he walks up to me and get this , he says " Hey , were can i get me a team hughes shirt, everbody else has one and i dont" ha ha ha , never thought i would see the day.

Michelle you are right on some points , Matt has a family and understandably he enjoys that more than fighting , when it comes right down to it , like i said , hes gonna do what he wants to do , and the true fans will back him whichever road he wants to take.

Boomer
06-05-2009, 03:59 AM
I think Matt should do what he feels is in his best interest. I would be sad don't get me wrong if he retired, however only he knows whats best. If he still chose to fight more power to him. Yes, the fighting styles and techniques are definitely changing....but Matt is so damn strong and he can give a good beating and he aint a punk when hit..No matter what choice he makes he will always be my #1 fighter and no one nor retirement will ever take that away...All these new and even some of the old guys need to always remember and respect his legacy.:wink:

WARRR FOXY!!! :D

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 04:02 AM
Speaking of...where in the crap is mine? And where is my damned rock? :angry:

I got a few of those team hughes baseball style shirts i printed up for Vegas left. I held one off for you .. and tell your pops I have one for him too. :wink:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 04:03 AM
Suck it Boom.

:tongue0011: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 04:05 AM
Speaking of...where in the crap is mine? And where is my damned rock? :angry:

it will get there it will get there. mail runs only happen so often and its so BIG its hard to get movement for it.

Mac
06-05-2009, 04:15 AM
its so BIG its hard to get movement for it.

Call me crazy Michelle , but that statement sounds like Boomer is pooping in a box and sending it to you , :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Miss Foxy
06-05-2009, 04:37 AM

You hit home with this!! I literally barf before he fights I get too nervous. I am no fun to be around when he fights I get crazy lol..:happydancing:

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 04:45 AM
I think it might be a body Mac. he was "joking" about it recently :unsure-1:

Call me crazy Michelle , but that statement sounds like Boomer is pooping in a box and sending it to you , :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

MattHughesRocks
06-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Just stop eating a couple days before.It helps a lot :laugh: And then if your with Boomer you have to drink right out of the Jack Daniel's bottle to. Helps a lot :blink:

You hit home with this!! I literally barf before he fights I get too nervous. I am no fun to be around when he fights I get crazy lol..:happydancing:

flo
06-05-2009, 05:17 AM
Should Matt retire? IMO, no.

He looked great for his fight with Serra - confident, stronger than ever and he had fire in his eyes.

But I say that for selfish reasons, he is an exciting fighter and to me represents what's best about the sport of MMA, so I'd miss him if he retires.

Whatever he decides, I'll always be a fan. I've always thought that in a perfect world, the great ones go out with a win.

logrus
06-05-2009, 05:34 AM
Well of course Matt should..

Matt Serra that is Wacca Wacca Wacca@

cheachea
06-05-2009, 05:55 AM
I don't want him to retire. I got so much respect for the guy, that I just would like to see him win a few more fights before he does retire. Honest to God, him and Fedor are the only fighters I really Really pull for in MMA. It reminds me of when I was in 5th grade being so excited to watch Michael Jordan win games and slam dunk, it never gets old LOL :laugh:

Boomer
06-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Well of course Matt should..

Matt Serra that is Wacca Wacca Wacca@

:laugh: Good one ...

KENTUCKYREDBONE
06-05-2009, 06:59 AM
If his hearts really still in the Game I think he can still have another good run! His willingness to train with others and not just say he already knows everything is a great sign. It's like he knows that no matter how good you are you can still get even better! If he really wants it I think he can do it. It's completely up to him and how much he's willing to sacrifice. I couldn't blame him for ethier decision.

Quell
06-05-2009, 07:20 AM
and the true fans will back him whichever road he wants to take.

AMEN!!

Tyburn
06-05-2009, 12:07 PM
Of course he should retire at some point...you dont expect him to fight when he's over 65 do you :blink:

The question is not IF, but When...I personally feel he should retire whenever HE wants to. :)

KevinD
06-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Obviously no one should try and tell Matt what to do. If your asking for opinion, mine is I wouldn't want to see Matt retire just yet because I enjoy watching him fight. As my favorite fighter I get pumped before he fights and can barely sit as I watch the fights.

But honestly, I think of what Dana says about Chuck and apply it to Matt. What does he have to prove? He is the greatest welterweight of all time with the most successful title defences. He is a legend in this sport and will never be replaced. He is most certainly bound for the Hall of Fame.

Matt is an intelligent guy, a family man, and I am sure he will do the right thing at the right time. Whenever that day should come, it will be sad indeed.

cubsfan47
06-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I'll back Matt Hughes to the day I die but that's because I'm a nuthugger and not afraid to admit it :laugh: Besides...look at that record! :w00t:

Like many of you I respect and like Matt for who he is more than what he does. Whatever choice he makes is fine with me.

Llamafighter
06-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I got a lot of the same talk from my peers in the city. It actually now ticks me off when casual observers say a fighter should or shouldn't retire. Especially Matt. I thought Matt looked awesome going into the fight, and had he not got hit with those two illegal shots I think we would have seen an even more dominant performance. Almost certainly it would have been ended before the third.
I agree with what the majority of people have said on here in that I don't want him to retire, but will support whatever decision he makes. I'll be a fan of the man long after he stops being a fighter.

Good thread Boomer and hope all is well out there!

Crisco
06-05-2009, 03:16 PM
He's not allowed to retire.

I said so.

But if he does I support him.

TENNESSEAN
06-05-2009, 05:42 PM
i think i should retire.
rock on Matt.

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
06-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Matt retiring???????

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who will I cheer for... if its not Matt?:sad:
What reason will I have to go to the fights????:Whistle:
Who will I fight :punch: to get an up close seat at the weigh ins....if its not Matt weighing in????

Whos website will I become a forum member too?:blink:
Who will Boomer right about in the Boomer tale?:unsure-1:
Whos book signing and gym openings will I attend?:ashamed:
Who will I bet? And lose to? And be tormented by? :wink:
Whos autograph will I want on my shirts, tickets, books, magazines, posters....?:cry:

Whos bonfire will I be invited to? :huh: Who will I make smores with???:huh:
Whos tshirts, sweatshirts, and gear will I wear so proudly?:unsure-1:

I will go crazy if Matt retires !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:
:frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics: :frantics:

Blmfighter
06-05-2009, 07:31 PM
All I can say when asked if Matt should hung up the gloves or not is......

If he wants!

I hope he fights until he says it's over. I would love to see him fight in a UFC in Chitown or STL.

CAVEMAN
06-05-2009, 07:39 PM
I agree wholeheartedly with Boomer's post. Matt is still a major force to be reckoned with at WW. Having watched the Alves fight many times, Matt was doing well against a much heavier fighter. In fact, Matt controlled the fight in round 1 and was doing well on the ground in the beginning of round 2. I am very confident that if Matt gets a rematch, he will beat Alves.

As far as GSP goes, Matt has beat him once and is capable of beating him again. Matt knows what it takes to beat GSP and he has the tools and the ability to get the job done. That being said.....I was glad to hear that Matt is going to stick around for awhile and it is my hope we will see him on another title reign!

That's my 2 cents......whether you wanted it or not!:biggrin:

ramsey317
06-05-2009, 09:42 PM
i never gave much thought to mma or watching it. somehow me and a friend got on the conversation of what our walkout song would be if we fought (he was a follower of ufc). when he told me that a fighter walked out to "a country boy can survive" i started askin questions about him. he let me borrow made in america and i couldnt put the book down. i instantly became i big fan of matt hughes and regret that i didnt start watching him much earlier. the first full fight i have ever watched was ufc 98 and used some vacation time and left work early to watch it, after standing for 45 min to get a table at buffalo wild wings i impatiently watched the other fights on the card to see matt hughes take it to serra. the hours of promos and highlights ive watched before the fight made me to where i could barely sit still. i felt like i was watching alabama run on the field to play auburn in the iron bowl(roll tide) when hughes walked out wearin that black and blue omr shirt (which i ordered shortly there after). now im constantly scanning the interent for news on a new contract and i would love to witness hughes win the title one more time. oh and to meet him to get a picture or autograph, ha. the coolest thing about matt is hes a christian and that was my favorite part in the book, GOOD JOB MARK! MATT HUGHES FOR PRESIDENT!

J.B.
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
i never gave much thought to mma or watching it. somehow me and a friend got on the conversation of what our walkout song would be if we fought (he was a follower of ufc). when he told me that a fighter walked out to "a country boy can survive" i started askin questions about him. he let me borrow made in america and i couldnt put the book down. i instantly became i big fan of matt hughes and regret that i didnt start watching him much earlier. the first full fight i have ever watched was ufc 98 and used some vacation time and left work early to watch it, after standing for 45 min to get a table at buffalo wild wings i impatiently watched the other fights on the card to see matt hughes take it to serra. the hours of promos and highlights ive watched before the fight made me to where i could barely sit still. i felt like i was watching alabama run on the field to play auburn in the iron bowl(roll tide) when hughes walked out wearin that black and blue omr shirt (which i ordered shortly there after). now im constantly scanning the interent for news on a new contract and i would love to witness hughes win the title one more time. oh and to meet him to get a picture or autograph, ha. the coolest thing about matt is hes a christian and that was my favorite part in the book, GOOD JOB MARK! MATT HUGHES FOR PRESIDENT!

Welcome to the forums!

WAR MATT, no matter what road the good Lord leads him down in the future. :)

Miss Foxy
06-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Welcome! Also what a wonderful story!! :)

Boomer
06-06-2009, 02:22 AM
TENNESSEAN - You can start training with me to become a cage fighter. :w00t: Lets both just quit and go join the HIT Squad!!

DOC T - On the sad day when Matt does retire, my live fight fix will be moved to Robbie Lawler. (even though I go see him now as often as I can) I'm a fan of someone who is not only destructive in the cage, but is a good person outside of it too. Robbie fits that bill. Although ... I signed up for his forum as "Boomer" and I haven't been able to post in it ever. He might already have a block. :unsure: :laugh:

Caveman - :headbanger:

Ramsey - Great first post and welcome to the forum. Hope to see you around posting more. :)

gymcoach97
06-06-2009, 04:36 AM
First of all, I still think that Matt can compete with anyone in the world. With that said, I do have a couple of constructive comments. Hopefully, I don't get "blasted" because I am still a HUGE fan and have the utmost respect.

But, I think his greatest challenge is that he needs to get confident with his hands. Right now, his opponents know that he's not as dangerous standing and they can focus their training on avoiding takedowns and/or being on the ground. In addition, the sport has changed so much and these guys are constantly training with specialists in each martial arts discipline so they train specifically with wrestlers and they have become more comfortable with him and his strength. It's just different from the past.

The other thing that I personally would be interested in looking at is his strength and conditioning program. While he's obviously in phenomenal condition, I am curious as to how much power and speed training is incorporated into the program. And, at what phase of the training. His shots for takedowns just seem a little slower than they used to be. We can blame it on age or whatever else, but I don't believe a natural athlete like Matt got that much slower especially in something that he's done his whole life and is second nature to him.

At the end of the day, none of us have been in the octagon and therefore we have no idea just how strong or fast GSP is, how hard Alves hits, or what it's like to be stuck in BJ's triangle. So, unless we have fought Matt and all of these other guys, it's impossible to speculate on whether or not he can remain competitive. In fact, it's just plain naive.

I'm sure he can gauge perfectly well when the time is right. As far as I know, the time isn't yet, so let's sit back and enjoy! If nothing else, each fight always brings about some type of forum pilgrimage and folks either re-connect and/or meet new folks. Win or lose, it's always a good time.

TENNESSEAN
06-06-2009, 04:43 AM
TENNESSEAN - You can start training with me to become a cage fighter. :w00t: Lets both just quit and go join the HIT Squad!!

im in buddy
oh wait!
will they promise not to hit me in the belly?
getting hit in the belly really hurts.

atomdanger
06-06-2009, 04:49 AM
In a word, NO.

I think Matt got Alves down, and gave him a good run,
he didn't get walked through like Chuck did with Shogun.

I think Matt can still make a run at the title, and even if he cannot,
he is still a pleasure to watch compete, and can still win fights at an exiting level.

Boomer
06-07-2009, 01:13 AM
im in buddy
oh wait!
will they promise not to hit me in the belly?
getting hit in the belly really hurts.

I'm sure there is a no belly shot clause we can work around!! :w00t: I personnally don't plan on doing any cardio. I hate running ....

We'll be the best eva .... :cool:

que
06-07-2009, 03:38 AM
matt is the greatest UFC champion of all time. he can do whatever he wants and to be honest it doesn't matter what us, the fans, think he should do. it's all up to him. he has earned that right. if he feels that he is still competitive (which he does) then by all means he should keep living his passion and it doesn't matter about age or anything else. an in shape matt hughes can beat anyone in the WW division.

so i guess i should have just skipped all that and said: no, i don't think he should retire

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
06-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Got it Boomer...................Robbie it is!!!!!:punch:
I should have went to St. Louis tonight.....oh well, maybe next time!!!!

kosmo
06-10-2009, 09:25 PM
No chance. As eveidence by the pounding to Matt Serra, Matt still has plenty left in the tank. Keep it up brother, I love watching you fight.

Llamafighter
06-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm sure there is a no belly shot clause we can work around!! :w00t: I personnally don't plan on doing any cardio. I hate running ....

We'll be the best eva .... :cool:

After that freaking story Scott told us at 98, I think I want the body shot clause written in too.:blink:

Sign me up for Team Boomer!

Hughes_GOAT
06-11-2009, 12:44 AM
screw that! Matt still has another 10 years like Couture!

Boomer
06-11-2009, 03:20 AM
No chance. As eveidence by the pounding to Matt Serra, Matt still has plenty left in the tank. Keep it up brother, I love watching you fight.

Welcome to the forums Kosmo! Yip he’s still got a full tank … he even runs off ethanol !! :w00t: (its all about diversification now adays. Its how you stay relevant) :cool:

After that freaking story Scott told us at 98, I think I want the body shot clause written in too.

Yea Mark, maybe we can start the “lightly” HIT Squad for a militant branch of office workers and middle aged men who need something else to focus on rather then buffets. :laugh:

screw that! Matt still has another 10 years like Couture!

Here here GOAT. If I have a kid now, it’s possible that I could take him/her with me to see Matt fight one day. If Matt does give indication that he will hang them up before then … I’m going to have to borrow a nephew or something.

Llamafighter
06-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Yea Mark, maybe we can start the “lightly” HIT Squad for a militant branch of office workers and middle aged men who need something else to focus on rather then buffets. :laugh:

I swear Boomer when you get back we are going to do a two week training out there! We'll get our tails whooped into shape by day and karaoke by night!
Who else is in??

Boomer
06-11-2009, 03:38 AM
I swear Boomer when you get back we are going to do a two week training out there! We'll get our tails whooped into shape by day and karaoke by night!
Who else is in??

:wink: Sounds good buddy.

TENNESSEAN
06-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Can I watch you get your tails whooped into shape from the buffet?

Llamafighter
06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Can I watch you get your tails whooped into shape from the buffet?

:laugh: :laugh:
even if you can't see it, you'll hear it:laugh:

Faith and Grace
06-11-2009, 07:02 PM
As much as it bothers me to think about it my answers is yes he should retire.

Miss Foxy
06-11-2009, 07:24 PM
If it bothers you so much can you explain why you feel he should?? :blink:

Bonnie
06-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I thought Mac's post on this was really really nice. It made me kind of sad when I joined and realized Matt might not be fighting for that much longer; I had just "discovered" him afterall. :laugh: But, after being here a year now and seeing everything Matt has going for him in his life aside from his UFC/fighting career, I've decided to just enjoy the ride as long as Matt says he's in it for. The thing about Matt that is so different from so many of the other fighters (especially the younger ones coming into this sport) is that he's got "other" things that make his world turn. His life's not going to fall apart when the time comes and "he" decides to quit fighting. So I figure even if we don't get to see him fight forever like we want :wink: , we're still gonna see him doing something and we're still gonna want to watch him doing it.

I told Matt how I came to be here and he asked me which fight it was I saw and I told him Trigg 2. He said yeah that's a good fight for a newcomer. I told him I didn't start out watching it because of him, I didn't even know who he was, but by the time his fight was over, he was the only one I wanted to see. My exact words to my husband were, "Okay, forget all these other UFC fights/fighters, just get me everything you can on this Matt Hughes guy!" :laugh:

Miss Foxy
06-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I thought Mac's post on this was really really nice. It made me kind of sad when I joined and realized Matt might not be fighting for that much longer; I had just "discovered" him afterall. :laugh: But, after being here a year now and seeing everything Matt has going for him in his life aside from his UFC/fighting career, I've decided to just enjoy the ride as long as Matt says he's in it for. The thing about Matt that is so different from so many of the other fighters (especially the younger ones coming into this sport) is that he's got "other" things that make his world turn. His life's not going to fall apart when the time comes and "he" decides to quit fighting. So I figure even if we don't get to see him fight forever like we want :wink: , we're still gonna see him doing something and we're still gonna want to watch him doing it.

I told Matt how I came to be here and he asked me which fight it was I saw and I told him Trigg 2. He said yeah that's a good fight for a newcomer. I told him I didn't start out watching it because of him, I didn't even know who he was, but by the time his fight was over, he was the only one I wanted to see. My exact words to my husband were, "Okay, forget all these other UFC fights/fighters, just get me everything you can on this Matt Hughes guy!" :laugh:
Ahh I enjoyed reading this!! :wink:

TexasRN
06-12-2009, 02:54 AM

There ya go, Bonnie...show him that good ol' Texas loyalty! We'll watch him grow corn and be happy. :w00t: Ok, maybe not. My attention span isn't that great.....but I'd still love to hear about all the truly interesting stuff he really does do.

~Amy

Boomer
06-12-2009, 06:03 AM

Well I hate to do this but ... :fighting0092:

Now look at yea .. with a puffed up eye.

Bonnie
06-12-2009, 06:06 AM
There ya go, Bonnie...show him that good ol' Texas loyalty! We'll watch him grow corn and be happy. :w00t: Ok, maybe not. My attention span isn't that great.....but I'd still love to hear about all the truly interesting stuff he really does do.

~Amy

Yeah, forget about watch'n him grow corn, Amy. He needs to show us how to drive the tractor or let us go mudd'n with him! :w00t: I was going to say him and Mark could show us how to neuter a piglet, but I don't think I could stand to hear 'em squeal while their little giblets are being cut off. :cry: (For anyone who hasn't read Matt's book, the "piglet" story is in there and pretty funny.)

Boomer
06-12-2009, 06:07 AM

The younger fighters need good mentors for sure. thats why Im happy that Matt has his own gym. Even after he stops fighting, he'll still influence the industry.

Many many folks became fans of Matt after that fight. I was one of them. I saw it LIVE. Think that was the first fight he had after becoming a Christian too.

I think he should do movies after the fighting career. He already has an action figure!! :w00t:

NateR
06-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Think that was the first fight he had after becoming a Christian too.

Actually, that was UFC 50 when he defeated Georges St. Pierre. Matt got saved in July 2004, that fight was in October 2004. UFC 52 wasn't until April 2005.

Boomer
06-12-2009, 06:26 AM
Actually, that was UFC 50 when he defeated Georges St. Pierre. Matt got saved in July 2004, that fight was in October 2004. UFC 52 wasn't until April 2005.

:cool: Yes .. yes .. how could I have forgotten GSP 1. Before the days of slip-n-slide .... when the sport was pure and innocent. :cry:

Bonnie
06-12-2009, 06:47 AM
The younger fighters need good mentors for sure. thats why Im happy that Matt has his own gym. Even after he stops fighting, he'll still influence the industry.

Many many folks became fans of Matt after that fight. I was one of them. I saw it LIVE. Think that was the first fight he had after becoming a Christian too.

I think he should do movies after the fighting career. He already has an action figure!! :w00t:

I didn't realize "what" I was seeing when Matt's fight came up (I was watching on DVD). And, by "what", I mean "special". So I'm sitting there watching these two guys (Matt and Trigg) and the one guy goes down (Matt), the other guy is on top (Trigg) and so on and it looks like the one's fix'n to be choked out (Matt) and all of a sudden he turns and picks up Trigg (which is incredible in itself) and is carrying him across the cage and the rest is history... However, at the point he got out of that choke and picked Trigg up, it's like my brain kicked in and finally registered what was going on and I jumped up out of my seat and said, "Wait...what just happened here..." and I hit rewind to see exactly what happened going back to that illegal groin hit (which I still believe was deliberate :angry: ). I must have rewound that several times. It's amazing how much you can miss initially when watching a fight so I'm glad I had the DVD and could rewind. You can see Bruce Buffer in the background shot when Matt "lays" Trigg down. :laugh: Buffer jumps out of his seat with his arms wide just incredulous at what has just happened. And it shows Dana after the fight and you can "read" his lips and yes, I believe, he's using a version of his "favorite" word. :rolleyes: That was my first time to see Matt ever! :w00t:

When I saw him, I don't know, I just saw something "special" there and I was hooked! Like Mac said, he's been blessed. And, I agree, the young guys coming into this sport couldn't go wrong having Matt as a mentor. :cool:

matt hughes
06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
well if anyone wants my opinion......

not yet

Boomer
06-12-2009, 07:03 AM
I didn't realize "what" I was seeing when Matt's fight came up (I was watching on DVD). And, by "what", I mean "special". So I'm sitting there watching these two guys (Matt and Trigg) and the one guy goes down (Matt), the other guy is on top (Trigg) and so on and it looks like the one's fix'n to be choked out (Matt) and all of a sudden he turns and picks up Trigg (which is incredible in itself) and is carrying him across the cage and the rest is history... However, at the point he got out of that choke and picked Trigg up, it's like my brain kicked in and finally registered what was going on and I jumped up out of my seat and said, "Wait...what just happened here..." and I hit rewind to see exactly what happened going back to that illegal groin hit (which I still believe was deliberate :angry: ). I must have rewound that several times. It's amazing how much you can miss initially when watching a fight so I'm glad I had the DVD and could rewind. You can see Bruce Buffer in the background shot when Matt "lays" Trigg down. :laugh: Buffer jumps out of his seat with his arms wide just incredulous at what has just happened. And it shows Dana after the fight and you can "read" his lips and yes, I believe, he's using a version of his "favorite" word. :rolleyes: That was my first time to see Matt ever! :w00t:

When I saw him, I don't know, I just saw something "special" there and I was hooked! Like Mac said, he's been blessed. And, I agree, the young guys coming into this sport couldn't go wrong having Matt as a mentor. :cool:

That does it .. .AS soon as I get back you and me and the Hubby are going to see the next Matt fight!! :laugh:

:wink: You just get yourself all better and its buffets, fights and Kareoke alllll night long. :D

Boomer
06-12-2009, 07:05 AM

not yet

:laugh: I think its the only one that really matters. It's just something for us to talk about. :wink:

Bonnie
06-12-2009, 07:42 AM
That does it .. .AS soon as I get back you and me and the Hubby are going to see the next Matt fight!! :laugh:

:wink: You just get yourself all better and its buffets, fights and Kareoke alllll night long. :D

:w00t:

Sounds good Boomer! Except, maybe, you shouldn't eat before (and probably after too) Kareoke if I'm gonna be singing. :wink: Maybe I should just lipsync... :laugh:

TexasRN
06-12-2009, 12:34 PM
:w00t:

Sounds good Boomer! Except, maybe, you shouldn't eat before (and probably after too) Kareoke if I'm gonna be singing. :wink: Maybe I should just lipsync... :laugh:

I'll sing with you, Bonnie. We can do "Tiptoe Through The Tulips". It's not like we could butcher it any more than Tiny Tim did. :cool:

~Amy

TexasRN
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM

not yet

:w00t: You just made my day.

~Amy

Crisco
06-12-2009, 12:46 PM

not yet

Retirement is overrated anyway

Thanks for the good times Matt. and thanks for keeping them comin!

Llamafighter
06-12-2009, 01:56 PM

not yet

I go with this guys opinion :laugh:

It is fun to hear everyone's thoughts though. If anything it lets ya know how supportive your forum is :wink: as if there was any question:)

mikthehick
06-12-2009, 07:45 PM
:laugh: I think its the only one that really matters. It's just something for us to talk about. :wink:

Boomer's just stirring up the campfire coals again :cool:

Matts#1Fan...Dr.Tonya
06-13-2009, 01:48 AM

not yet

This is the ONLY opinion that Matters!!!!!:)

and I liked the answer...................
:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:
:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

WAR HUGHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.B.
06-13-2009, 12:24 PM

not yet

Good stuff! :)

Tyburn
06-13-2009, 02:38 PM

not yet

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: hahahahahahahaha :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That will teach us to talk "about you" rather then "too you" I suppose :laugh:

Primadawn
06-14-2009, 12:47 AM

not yet

Wooohooo! :happydancing:

You see Matt...I haven't even posted in this thread because your retirement was just too painful a subject to even CONTEMPLATE.

Shame on all of the rest of you...:Whistle:

Faith and Grace
06-14-2009, 05:46 AM
If it bothers you so much can you explain why you feel he should?? :blink:
Well Foxy, Matt is someone I look up to. he and I are the same age and same build. he is an inspiration to me but I feel that he needs to leave while he is still strong. Advice Shamrock should have taken. i do not want to see his legacy torn away by here today gone tomorrow fans who have no idea of how this man helped to build this sport. Also, I feel that Matt is not evolving with the sport. it is moving at a much faster rate than Matt is. I do see improvement in Matt each and every fight but these new guys started MMA when they were at a much younger age than what Matt was when he started. just don't want to see a great man go down.

J.B.
06-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Well Foxy, Matt is someone I look up to. he and I are the same age and same build. he is an inspiration to me but I feel that he needs to leave while he is still strong. Advice Shamrock should have taken. i do not want to see his legacy torn away by here today gone tomorrow fans who have no idea of how this man helped to build this sport. Also, I feel that Matt is not evolving with the sport. it is moving at a much faster rate than Matt is. I do see improvement in Matt each and every fight but these new guys started MMA when they were at a much younger age than what Matt was when he started. just don't want to see a great man go down.

not yet

:cool:

Vizion
06-14-2009, 04:27 PM
no...yes...no...yes...no...

I love Matt!! I want to see him go out on a victory, yet, multiple victories would be niice...:wink:

whatever you do Matt, you'll always be my #1 favorite

Liddellfan
06-14-2009, 10:07 PM

not yet

Sounds like a GREAT answer to me......and I agree 100% Matt has a lot of fight left in him, I think he proved that after the headbut in the Sarah fight.
:punch: :punch: :punch:

que
06-15-2009, 03:20 AM
matt took a huge headbutt from sarah and shook it off. that is an amazing accomplishment in itself considering sarah is the biggest butthead. heck, gsp couldn't even survive a strike to the back of the head from sarah, and gsp and his camp always use that as an excuse to his loss. hughes survived a headbut AND a strike to the back of the head from sarah, and still beat him. what's up now, gsp?

VCURamFan
06-15-2009, 12:03 PM
matt took a huge headbutt from sarah and shook it off. that is an amazing accomplishment in itself considering sarah is the biggest butthead. heck, gsp couldn't even survive a strike to the back of the head from sarah, and gsp and his camp always use that as an excuse to his loss. hughes survived a headbut AND a strike to the back of the head from sarah, and still beat him. what's up now, gsp?Combinne that with GSP new lack-o-grease and more than 6 weeks to fully prepare for a title bout & I like Matt's chances !!

Max
06-17-2009, 12:47 AM
I know Matt gave his opinion and that is all that matters but I wanted to go over the 2 points Boomer made in his first post.

1. Matt's age: Only Matt knows how his body is doing. Some fighters take enough punishment that they feel like they are 50 when they are 30 others dont take that much and feel like they are 30 when they are 40. Only Matt knows how his body feels. If he thinks his body can handle more fights then that is what matters.

2. The losses and the win over Serra: Every fighter gets beat. BJ lost 3 out of 4 at one point but he was not washed up. Nick Diaz lost 3 in a row and he was not washed up. There was a point when Rampage lost 2 out of 3 and if Evans get beat by Rampage he will have lost 2 in a row. When someone is fighting the best in the world they are bound to get beat every now and then. Losing 2 in a row does not make Matt washed up. As for the Serra fight, people on this site may not want to admit it but Serra is a good fighter. Matt had a great fight and still showed that he can compete in the UFC WW div.

Miss Foxy
06-17-2009, 01:55 PM
With all due respect I don't see his legacy being torn away by here today gone tomorrow fans.. Matt has a huge fan base, and his fans are loyal. I respect your thoughts, but I disagree big time..:wink: Im glad Matt clarified on his post so I guess we can all rest knowing he aint going anywhere anytime soon....

Faith and Grace
06-18-2009, 07:23 PM
With all due respect I don't see his legacy being torn away by here today gone tomorrow fans.. Matt has a huge fan base, and his fans are loyal. I respect your thoughts, but I disagree big time..:wink: Im glad Matt clarified on his post so I guess we can all rest knowing he aint going anywhere anytime soon....
let me re-word then. Reputation not legacy. Just look at how he was painted on TUF and on all the other MMA forums he was raked through the coals. Mainly by newer fans.

Miss Foxy
06-18-2009, 08:03 PM
let me re-word then. Reputation not legacy. Just look at how he was painted on TUF and on all the other MMA forums he was raked through the coals. Mainly by newer fans.
Im not going to speak on behalf of Matt, however I will as a fan. I don't think him, his family, nor his fans lose any sleep over how he is depicted in the MMA world. Real followers of the sport do give him the credit he has earned as a fighter. One of the reasons I became a fan of his is how humble he really is. Look at after he won Serra he by all means could have attacked that mans character, but he didn't. He does his job and does it well..:wink:

Faith and Grace
06-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I agree with you Foxy but there are many many fans of different fighters out there. We are the minority.

Boomer
06-21-2009, 07:03 AM
I agree with you Foxy but there are many many fans of different fighters out there. We are the minority.

I don't think we are faith ... If you go by other forums, or MMA sites then it may seem that way, but in general I think Matt's fan base is strongest in the folks who don't really have a desire to spend time posting their opinions on the internet. I know in the military Matt is a favorite along with Randy and Chuck. Many casual fans of the sport will get a PPV of the UFC when Matt is fighting, just to see him compete. Matt is an ambassador for the sport in other circles common to the demographic he appeals to like the hunting, outdoor / woodsman, Christian spheres of influence. Him branching out and using his interest outside of fighting to expose MMA to already established interest groups gives him a draw that few other fighters carry.

When it comes down to it ... I think we are more like the silent majority. :wink:

Faith and Grace
06-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Boomer. You know what? I have to totally agree with that. I stand corrected.

Llamafighter
06-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't think we are faith ... If you go by other forums, or MMA sites then it may seem that way, but in general I think Matt's fan base is strongest in the folks who don't really have a desire to spend time posting their opinions on the internet. I know in the military Matt is a favorite along with Randy and Chuck. Many casual fans of the sport will get a PPV of the UFC when Matt is fighting, just to see him compete. Matt is an ambassador for the sport in other circles common to the demographic he appeals to like the hunting, outdoor / woodsman, Christian spheres of influence. Him branching out and using his interest outside of fighting to expose MMA to already established interest groups gives him a draw that few other fighters carry.

When it comes down to it ... I think we are more like the silent majority. :wink:
Well said, Boom!

Boomer
06-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Boomer. You know what? I have to totally agree with that. I stand corrected.

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Where's Michelle .. where's Michelle .... you see?? I kan talc intllijunt sumtymes!!

MattHughesRocks
06-24-2009, 03:30 AM
I'm right here :laugh:

:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: Where's Michelle .. where's Michelle .... you see?? I kan talc intllijunt sumtymes!!

Boomer
06-24-2009, 03:36 AM
I'm right here :laugh:

Weeelllll . .I'm waiting for the:

"Oh Boomer I was so wrong to go against what you said. I see now that I am meant for the kitchen and dishes and will not say Matt should retire anymore. Thanks for showing me the way."

<tapping foot> Waiting ...

MattHughesRocks
06-24-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm scared of you right now http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff110/dreena_bucket/scared-1.gif

Weeelllll . .I'm waiting for the:

<tapping foot> Waiting ...

Boomer
06-24-2009, 03:46 AM
I can't see the picture ... but, nothing to be scared of. :D

MattHughesRocks
06-24-2009, 03:54 AM
It's a smiley girl in pigtails biting her nails in nervousness :laugh:

I can't see the picture ... but, nothing to be scared of. :D

jeremypugh
06-25-2009, 12:49 AM
I think that as long as Matt thinks he can still compete he should fight, but he shouldn't be fighting no name people. However, he also has a new baby on the way (congratulations) so that may affect his decision as it should. Whatever he decides to do I will say that he is the reason I started watching the UFC, partially because we are from the same area, about 20 miles apart and partially because some of my family personally knows Matt from church , my uncle actually wrestled against Matt in high school, but also and most important because he has been an outstanding fighter and person throughout his career. So whatever you decide Matt, I just want to say thank you for everything you have done for this sport.