PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners being allowed to workout:

mscomc
06-04-2009, 04:11 AM
hey guys I wanted to know your oppinion on somethig. I was recently reading an article in a mucle magazine and I am sure those of you who read these kinds of magazines often see small articles about regular jane and jon doe's sending in their "success" stories. For example, how they have lost 100 lbs or gained 20 lbs of muscle etc etc.

One article caught me eye very well. There is a prisoner in ohio who was in it, and recently won some kind of "state" (by which i mean prison) powerlifiting competition title, whic he has also won the last 3 years in a row. Get these stats:

6'4 and 245 lbs

Max bench: 525 lbs
Max Deadlift : 700 lbs
Max squat : 675lbs

Those are pretty impressive feats, about the peak of human strength. Now get this............. the guy is in the latter stages of a 10 year concurrent sentence for armed robbery and stat rape if I recall correctly.

What happens when this guys gets out? I mean, I hope he is re-habilitated, but what if he goes back to crime? Now hes a super jacked and un-stopable monster. How could your average woman try defend herself against a guy like that now if he were to heaven forbid try and assault her? Or what if he tries to rob again? or what about police saftey? I saw an episode of cops once, where there was guy 3 cops were trying to subdue, and he was a pretty big guy and faily muscular, but he didnt look like he could be the guy I mentioned above in terms of size and strength (looks can be deceiving i know). Anyway, two cops tried to hold him down while the third tried to taze him with a stun gun, AND IT SITLL WASNT ENOUGH. It took like 4 more cops just to get the guy down. Now imagine this dude coming into contact with a cop?

I dont thik inmates should have access to weights in order to bodybuild. What do you guys think?

Take care, Malcom.:)

Jason 16
06-04-2009, 04:37 AM
hey guys I wanted to know your oppinion on somethig. I was recently reading an article in a mucle magazine and I am sure those of you who read these kinds of magazines often see small articles about regular jane and jon doe's sending in their "success" stories. For example, how they have lost 100 lbs or gained 20 lbs of muscle etc etc.

One article caught me eye very well. There is a prisoner in ohio who was in it, and recently won some kind of "state" (by which i mean prison) powerlifiting competition title, whic he has also won the last 3 years in a row. Get these stats:

6'4 and 245 lbs

Those are pretty impressive feats, about the peak of human strength. Now get this............. the guy is in the latter stages of a 10 year concurrent sentence for armed robbery and stat rape if I recall correctly.

What happens when this guys gets out? I mean, I hope he is re-habilitated, but what if he goes back to crime? Now hes a super jacked and un-stopable monster. How could your average woman try defend herself against a guy like that now if he were to heaven forbid try and assault her? Or what if he tries to rob again? or what about police saftey? I saw an episode of cops once, where there was guy 3 cops were trying to subdue, and he was a pretty big guy and faily muscular, but he didnt look like he could be the guy I mentioned above in terms of size and strength (looks can be deceiving i know). Anyway, two cops tried to hold him down while the third tried to taze him with a stun gun, AND IT SITLL WASNT ENOUGH. It took like 4 more cops just to get the guy down. Now imagine this dude coming into contact with a cop?

I dont thik inmates should have access to weights in order to bodybuild. What do you guys think?

my dad should realy answer this he worked in one for 25 years as a locksmith/gunsmith/fire arms instructer.

I would say yes becuse weights keep the peace in prisons enough to be more good then harm and for why it could be bad we do have the right to own a gun......

Josh
06-04-2009, 04:46 AM
I think they should give them the cheapest reasonably healthy food possible and no weights. They should come out of prison looking like Corey Hill.

Jason 16
06-04-2009, 04:49 AM
I think they should give them the cheapest reasonably healthy food possible and no weights. They should come out of prison looking like Corey Hill.

well they all ready do that and if they mess up in any way fights drugs or anything there weights get taken away and they dont want that to happen so they keep there act together

Josh
06-04-2009, 05:01 AM
well they all ready do that and if they mess up in any way fights drugs or anything there weights get taken away and they dont want that to happen so they keep there act together
Really? It works that well?

Jason 16
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Really? It works that well?
atuly yea lifting is all some of them have to look to for enjoyment so yea if it was taken away you would have alot of Pissed off immates

mscomc
06-04-2009, 05:07 AM
i agree from that perspective that it keeps them occupied and probably less active in terms of criminal things they may do in prison or plot once out of prison. But I would suggest that instead of giving them weights, FORCE them to go to school in prison. Make them get GED's if they dont have them. Force them to learn skills and be productive instead of becomming mini hulks.

I mean sure, guns can be accessed and carried, but how many people really carry them? epesically a young teenage woman like this man would target if he was to re-offend?

Jason 16
06-04-2009, 05:15 AM
i agree from that perspective that it keeps them occupied and probably less active in terms of criminal things they may do in prison or plot once out of prison. But I would suggest that instead of giving them weights, FORCE them to go to school in prison. Make them get GED's if they dont have them. Force them to learn skills and be productive instead of becomming mini hulks.

I mean sure, guns can be accessed and carried, but how many people really carry them? epesically a young teenage woman like this man would target if he was to re-offend?

in prison they do give them a second chance to get there GED but what is the good of makeing if they dont want to because if it did work they would have made it through high school. and the second part I agree I just said guns because I realy dint know what to say. I dont know ankle bands that alert the police when they are out to late or are some where that there not supose to be and have these offences as a way of breaking parole and could send them back to jail. this might sound bad but they are working there way to prove that they deserve to be trusted .

MattHughesRocks
06-04-2009, 05:20 AM
They may be able to "force" them into a class room but they can't be forced to learn.
As far as the weights, some states don't allow any weights in their prisons but I personally don't see the harm. Besides, they can build mussel a lot of other ways without the use of free weights.They may be huge when they get out but they stop working out the minute they get out.It doesnt take but a few short weeks to start going back to their normal size, strength.Not to mention they are usually "good" for at least a little while after they get out.

Mac
06-04-2009, 05:22 AM
I always had the same thoughts. I say take em away . Give em footballs and basket balls , heck build a tennis court . But to be honest, giving them the weights is just like raising pitbulls , they are just building them bigger and badder to do more destruction . Heck give em a tread mill if they wanna work out.

Jason 16
06-04-2009, 05:25 AM
I always had the same thoughts. I say take em away . Give em footballs and basket balls , heck build a tennis court . But to be honest, giving them the weights is just like raising pitbulls , they are just building them bigger and badder to do more destruction . Heck give em a tread mill if they wanna work out.

atuly I saw there weight room and it does have tread mills ......and its HUGE guess what we are buying it with our tax money:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

I do agree with foot ball more of them that get hurt more money my dad make in over time about $50 an hour

mscomc
06-04-2009, 05:34 AM

I absolutley agree....I agree with the pitbull analogy. In terms of not forcing them to learn, I disagree. If you are in prison, chances are a bad person unless you are innocent and got screwed and are in jail..... but if you want to be released as a productive member of society, you better prove that you are, and I beleive education is one of those things. If you dont want to learn, then stay rotting in your cell.

Maybe i am being a little harsh, but i dont have much sympathy for sex offenders (like the guy im talking about in the article i read)

MattHughesRocks
06-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Well sex offenders are an entirely different group.I don't give a crap about them. But the others, wow, there are SO many issues that prevent them from just sitting in a class and learning....It's never just black or white with these people..

matthughesfan21
06-04-2009, 05:54 AM
atuly I saw there weight room and it does have tread mills ......and its HUGE guess what we are buying it with our tax money:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

I do agree with foot ball more of them that get hurt more money my dad make in over time about $50 an hour
from what ive seen, most maximum security prisons only have like a few bench press and a few chin ups out on the yard....even the guys in solitary are still buff because they do pushups and crunches all day, you can't force them not to do pushups

Jason 16
06-04-2009, 05:56 AM
from what ive seen, most maximum security prisons only have like a few bench press and a few chin ups out on the yard....even the guys in solitary are still buff because they do pushups and crunches all day, you can't force them not to do pushups

Iam just bitching that the federal prison in minersvile PA Wasted alot of money going over board

Quell
06-04-2009, 06:26 AM
You cant stop them from working out. I've seen them put books or water bottles in laundry bags for curls or whatever. They also lift the beds or each other. One way or another they are going to get a good workout in and they have all the time in the world to come up with a creative way to do things. As far as protecting yourself.....MACE!! or umm chemical agents lol there is a three pack on ebay that I bought my gf. One for the house, car visor and keychain.

atomdanger
06-04-2009, 06:27 AM

What happens when this guys gets out? I mean, I hope he is re-habilitated, but what if he goes back to crime? Now hes a super jacked and un-stopable monster. How could your average woman try defend herself against a guy like that now if he were to heaven forbid try and assault her? Or what if he tries to rob again? or what about police saftey?

For one, only model inmates get to lift weights,
medium security and minimum, so I doubt he was in for armed robbery and rape.
Sounds like a max security crime to me.

Either way, inmates will workout, lifting eachother, buckets of water, etc..
Trust me, as the hughes forums resident felon, the last thing corrections officers want is a bunch of inmates with nothing to do. Believe it or not, getting access to weights because a privileged, and most guys don't wanna do that because it gives them something to concentrate on.

Either way, If he is going to go back to a life of crime,
he probably won't keep up the weight lifting and eating right,
so he won't be all jacked up for long.

atomdanger
06-04-2009, 06:28 AM
I absolutley agree....I agree with the pitbull analogy. In terms of not forcing them to learn, I disagree. If you are in prison, chances are a bad person unless you are innocent and got screwed and are in jail..... but if you want to be released as a productive member of society, you better prove that you are, and I beleive education is one of those things. If you dont want to learn, then stay rotting in your cell.

Maybe i am being a little harsh, but i dont have much sympathy for sex offenders (like the guy im talking about in the article i read)

What an ignorant post,
good people make poor choices too.

J.B.
06-04-2009, 06:39 AM
I think they should give them the cheapest reasonably healthy food possible and no weights.

Well, thats actually what a LOT of prisons do.

Many prisons have actually removed weights because they end up getting used as weapons on the yard, but the prisoners still find ways to lift. They will fill bags with ice or water and lift that way.

Prisoners are some of the craftiest individuals in the world, and even though we can manage to take just about every single facet of civilized existence away from them... the ability to stay in shape and find ways to tone their bodies is ultimately up to them. We deprive them of everything else, and prison is about as tough of a life as it gets, so I don't think we need to waste our time trying to find ways to deprive them of that.

Quell
06-04-2009, 06:42 AM
Trust me, as the hughes forums resident felon,

lmao that was funny

atomdanger
06-04-2009, 06:50 AM
lmao that was funny

Well haha, its true.

que
06-04-2009, 07:01 AM
this whole idea is ridiculous and unrealistic. so what if an inmate gets out of jail and he is jacked. what are you proposing, a ban on gaining muscles? that's insane. besides, even without traditional weight equipment, they will always find ways to get jacked one way or another if they wanted to.

Josh
06-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Well, thats actually what a LOT of prisons do.

Many prisons have actually removed weights because they end up getting used as weapons on the yard, but the prisoners still find ways to lift. They will fill bags with ice or water and lift that way.

Prisoners are some of the craftiest individuals in the world, and even though we can manage to take just about every single facet of civilized existence away from them... the ability to stay in shape and find ways to tone their bodies is ultimately up to them. We deprive them of everything else, and prison is about as tough of a life as it gets, so I don't think we need to waste our time trying to find ways to deprive them of that.
I'm not talking apointing a panel at 20 million a year to stop prisoners from lifting weights or anything like that. I just want to spend as little as possible while still being humane. Well unless we are talking about rapists. Then I say we use them as landfill. I don't think I have ever personally met an inmate from a prison that got out and turned their life around but I have met many that went to jail many times who have. I believe that Christ saves people from every walk of life and I am no better than the worst criminal so it isn't like I think we should treat them like dogs.

J.B.
06-04-2009, 07:38 AM
I'm not talking apointing a panel at 20 million a year to stop prisoners from lifting weights or anything like that. I just want to spend as little as possible while still being humane. Well unless we are talking about rapists. Then I say we use them as landfill. I don't think I have ever personally met an inmate from a prison that got out and turned their life around but I have met many that went to jail many times who have. I believe that Christ saves people from every walk of life and I am no better than the worst criminal so it isn't like I think we should treat them like dogs.

I did not say you said any of that, so I think we actually agree more than you realize. :)

I just don't see it as an issue that is even worth thinking about because there is no way to police it and also no way to even gauge if it is a relevant factor in any crimes of repeat offenders.

Did you ever read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"? There is no sense in fighting a battle that you cannot win. This is one of them. Ya know, come to think of it, somebody around these parts told me the same thing when I made a thread complaining about seat-belt laws...., and they were right! :laugh:

Josh
06-04-2009, 07:50 AM
I did not say you said any of that, so I think we actually agree more than you realize. :)

I just don't see it as an issue that is even worth thinking about because there is no way to police it and also no way to even gauge if it is a relevant factor in any crimes of repeat offenders.

Did you ever read Sun Tzu's "The Art of War"? There is no sense in fighting a battle that you cannot win. This is one of them. Ya know, come to think of it, somebody around these parts told me the same thing when I made a thread complaining about seat-belt laws...., and they were right! :laugh:
Yeah you are right. No way to police it. I have never read "The Art of War" but I would love to. Actually lately I feel like a total loser because I haven't been reading anything. I started a book but I stopped. Maybe I will pick that one up some time.

County Mike
06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
If they're going to find a way to workout anyway, then don't spend more money providing them with workout equipment.

There are two sides to the workout argument. On one hand, they're becoming more dangerous by working out, getting stronger, etc.

On the other hand, it keeps them occupied so they'll cause less trouble.

Ideally, I'd like to see them restricted to running, basketball, handball, etc. and learning. Education should be pushed to the max. If they're released with an education they might have a chance to be a productive member of society instead of just a well-built criminal.

rockdawg21
06-04-2009, 01:01 PM
There's no doubt that weight training allows these guys to release some anger. Better than taking it out on themselves, other prisoners, or the guards.

You never know, some of those guys may have learned to channel that negative aggression into the gym rather than committing violent crimes. I used to get mad about things and want to start fights when I was drunk. I stopped drinking (mostly) and made a lifestyle change once I became fat. Since then, I learned the best place to take out aggression is in the gym on those very heavy sets.

Miss Foxy
06-04-2009, 01:41 PM
There's no doubt that weight training allows these guys to release some anger. Better than taking it out on themselves, other prisoners, or the guards.

You never know, some of those guys may have learned to channel that negative aggression into the gym rather than committing violent crimes. I used to get mad about things and want to start fights when I was drunk. I stopped drinking (mostly) and made a lifestyle change once I became fat. Since then, I learned the best place to take out aggression is in the gym on those very heavy sets.
I agree very much with your post. I think a lot of them find it therapeutic to work out. I don't believe all people in prison are societys rejects some made bad choices and are doing time. I do believe there are clusters of inmates that don't stand a chance in/out of prison unfortunately.

rearnakedchoke
06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
If they're going to find a way to workout anyway, then don't spend more money providing them with workout equipment.

There are two sides to the workout argument. On one hand, they're becoming more dangerous by working out, getting stronger, etc.

On the other hand, it keeps them occupied so they'll cause less trouble.

Ideally, I'd like to see them restricted to running, basketball, handball, etc. and learning. Education should be pushed to the max. If they're released with an education they might have a chance to be a productive member of society instead of just a well-built criminal.
yes, working out in the yard keeps them busy ... and all that muscle mass increases their testosterone and keeps them more busy in the cells .... i guess they knew what they were doing when they put weights in prisons ... LOL

mscomc
06-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Yeah I agree more with letting prisoners use othe workout regimens like: Basketball, football, tennis, just sprinting or running etc.

I know they can workout regardless by doing: pushups or chinups etc and I do beleive they probably find ways to improvise by using water jugs to do curls and stuff....I just dont think we should grease the wheels and help them along with equipment that can take them from getting cut and fit to getting realllll buff.

Oh, and perhaps I did mis-speak when I mentioned earlier how "if you are in prison chances are you are a bad person". I didnt articulate that right. I still had thoughts of the orignial inmate I was talking about being convicted of stat rape, and I am a little sensitive when it comes to the topic of rapists.
So I do agree with above posts, there are alot of good people who went to prison and just made a mistake or were down on their luck at the time etc etc.

Crisco
06-04-2009, 03:28 PM
If it was stat rape it could easily mean that he was 18 and had relations with a 17 yr old girl. I think that is a stupid charge.

Of course if he was 18 and tried to get with like a 13 yr old that is nasty.

atomdanger
06-04-2009, 07:48 PM

They don't spend much money on it, if any.
Prisons don't have nautilus machines and crap lol

A lot of it is donated, for a tax cut.

atomdanger
06-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Trust me, or ask any Corrections Officer.

You want a prison full of inmates with stuff to do,
and stuff to have on their minds.
Not one full of bored, angy, violent people with no outlets.

Hughes_GOAT
06-08-2009, 05:41 PM
let them lift.

Tyburn
06-08-2009, 06:59 PM

6'4 and 245 lbs

I dont see why they shouldnt be able to have free weights. I do not think they deserve gym facilities, but they could be provided with an enclosed courtyard to exercise cardio, and free weights, under supervision.

Competing inside of there OWN prison is fine...but they should not be allowed to compete against people in other prisons, or anything like that, an inhouse competition is fair enough I suppose...but lets not be funding away matches or else stupid like that.

Option should not be avilable to those who are reprimand within the prisons, those in solitary, or those awaiting execution, or those who would be a danger to others and must be kept segrgated.

I know...I missed my calling :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
06-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Trust me, or ask any Corrections Officer.

You want a prison full of inmates with stuff to do,
and stuff to have on their minds.
Not one full of bored, angy, violent people with no outlets.
FACT

rockdawg21
06-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I agree very much with your post. I think a lot of them find it therapeutic to work out. I don't believe all people in prison are societys rejects some made bad choices and are doing time. I do believe there are clusters of inmates that don't stand a chance in/out of prison unfortunately.
I always knew you had the hots for me. :Whistle:

Miss Foxy
06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I always knew you had the hots for me. :Whistle:
LOL!! :cool: