PDA

View Full Version : Obesity surgery

TexasRN
06-03-2009, 11:41 PM
CHICAGO - Doctors are testing a new kind of obesity surgery without any cuts through the abdomen, snaking a tube as thick as a garden hose down the throat to snap staples into the stomach. The experimental, scar-free procedure creates a narrow passage that slows the food as it moves from the upper stomach into the lower stomach, helping patients feel full more quickly and eat less.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31090449/

:scared0015: As thick as a garden hose? Wow. Ouch. They may make the surgery less invasive but they can't do anything about the common complications from it. I had a friend who died from hers getting infected, she was a doctor.

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
06-03-2009, 11:43 PM
I want it! :w00t: I'd love to lose 20 pounds and be too skinny! :happydancing:

TexasRN
06-03-2009, 11:55 PM
Ugh, the surgery is nasty. If you eat more than just a handful of vitamins, you puke and have massive dumping syndrome. Which includes explosive diarrhea. Just become bulimic, Michelle. Then you get to eat the fun stuff and taste it twice. :unsure-1:

~Amy

MattHughesRocks
06-03-2009, 11:59 PM
I've got the scarfing down...just need to learn the barfing.As far as I'm concerned, you can't be too thin ( unless of course your sick) you can't have too much money and a diamond can never be "too big".:w00t:

gaUgh, the surgery is nasty. If you eat more than just a handful of vitamins, you puke and have massive dumping syndrome. Which includes explosive diarrhea. Just become bulimic, Michelle. Then you get to eat the fun stuff and taste it twice. :unsure-1:

~Amy

Primadawn
06-04-2009, 01:18 AM
I used to do case management and made determinations on whether or not patients qualified for gastric bypass. It's amazingly easy to get insurance to pay for it...
What I always found amusing though, is that on their questionnaires, EVERY SINGLE PATIENT wrote that they didn't overeat. Every one.
Lotsa 400+ pound people out there not overeating...:laugh:

medic92
06-04-2009, 01:30 AM
As thick as a garden hose? Wow. Ouch. They may make the surgery less invasive but they can't do anything about the common complications from it. I had a friend who died from hers getting infected, she was a doctor.

~Amy

It doesn't sound any worse than gastric lavage after a lot of activated charcoal. :)

I was an absolute master at timing a does of Ipecac so that it didn't take effect until I had dropped the patient off at the ER and then ran away like a big chicken. :laugh:

TexasRN
06-04-2009, 11:20 AM
It doesn't sound any worse than gastric lavage after a lot of activated charcoal. :)

I was an absolute master at timing a does of Ipecac so that it didn't take effect until I had dropped the patient off at the ER and then ran away like a big chicken. :laugh:

Yeah, thanks for that. Projectile vomiting of black liquid that stains anything it gets on is awesome stuff. We had to have ceiling tile replaces several times from it. We would cut a hole in a trash bag at the bottom of it to slip over patient's heads and cover their upper body so they wouldn't be so hard to clean up after they finished. No need to start cleaning them until they were through.

I also know that if you put it into a McDonald's cup, kids will willingly drink it and you don't have to do the ng tube for them.

~Amy

rockdawg21
06-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Great, now people will lose the fat and think they're healthy. When are they going to come up with a surgery that removes plaque from within the arteries and fat build up on major organs? Most likely, never.

Watch your diet and get off your ass - this is the only true weight loss procedure.

County Mike
06-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Watch your diet and get off your ass - this is the only true weight loss procedure.

QFT

Miss Foxy
06-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Great, now people will lose the fat and think they're healthy. When are they going to come up with a surgery that removes plaque from within the arteries and fat build up on major organs? Most likely, never.

While you are correct to an extent some people are way past dieting. Some cases of morbid obesity surgery is the only option left to save the persons life.:sad:
I will also express that parents who have obese children and feed them burgers, pizza, and other un-healthy foods outta be charged with a crime. Its one thing if your son/daughter is chubby or overweight, but I am speaking of those parents you see on Maury who have a 3 yr old thats 100lbs. It is sickening that they are slowly killing that child!

rockdawg21
06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
While you are correct to an extent some people are way past dieting. Some cases of morbid obesity surgery is the only option left to save the persons life.:sad:
I will also express that parents who have obese children and feed them burgers, pizza, and other un-healthy foods outta be charged with a crime. Its one thing if your son/daughter is chubby or overweight, but I am speaking of those parents you see on Maury who have a 3 yr old thats 100lbs. It is sickening that they are slowly killing that child!
Well, the other part of the problem is that people still have the fat stored on vital organs. This is why people who have obesity surgeries still die from heart disease even while they're thin.

You make a good point about the morbid obese, but after the surgery is done, cardiovascular exercise should literally be a requirement to remove the fat from vital organs. Without that, the surgery didn't do anything except change a physical appearance, not saying that's a bad thing, but it certainly does not save the person's life.