PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports MMA game

matthughesfan21
06-02-2009, 12:58 AM
EA Sports to release MMA-themed videogame, "EA SPORTS MMA," in 2010
by Dann Stupp on Jun 01, 2009 at 6:25 pm ET
THQ isn't the only videogame maker entering the mixed-martial-arts game market.

Electronic Arts Inc.'s EA SPORTS brand will issue "EA Sports MMA" in 2010 for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation3 platforms.

The California-based company, which has delivered massively popular videogame series such as "Madden NFL" and "Tiger Woods PGA TOUR," today announced some basic details of the game.

The announcement comes just weeks after THQ released "UFC 2009 Undisputed," the most sophisticated MMA videogame ever produced. The game, which features the likenesses of more than 80 UFC fighters, has won rave reviews from the videogame and MMA media. The title is part of a multi-year deal between the UFC and THQ.

Last week, at the 2008 Video Game Awards on Spike TV, UFC President Dana White announced "UFC 2010 Undisputed" will be released next year, signaling what possibly could be annual releases of the highly anticipated title.

EA Sports, meanwhile, will work with developers EA Tiburon on the "EA Sports MMA" title.

"Fans have been begging EA SPORTS to get into the cage, and 'EA SPORTS MMA' will put them in control of the sportís unique combat experience while finally, in an ...interactive experience, capturing the raw intensity that has made mixed martial arts one of the fastest growing sports in the world," EA SPORTS President Peter Moore stated. "We're ready for the fight."

Few other details about the game were revealed.

However, sources tell MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) Frank Shamrock and Frank Trigg are two of the likenesses expected to be in the game. Current UFC heavyweight Randy Couture, who spent much of 2008 in a contract dispute with the UFC, is also a rumored fighter in the game. Dozens of additional (non-UFC) fighters are expected to be in the first release.

EA Sports, founded in 1982, has produced additional sports titles geared around NCAA football and basketball, the NBA, NHL, FIFA and NASCAR, among others.

J.B.
06-02-2009, 01:47 AM
This actually has potential to be HUGE for the sport, because EA sports titles already carry a lot of respect in the video game world, and there is still a large amount of talent out there that they could potentially get to be a part of the game. If they get a lot of other non-UFC fighters on board it could help draw more mainstream appeal to the whole sport.

I'm not sure if the UFC signed a multi-year deal with THQ, but I can imagine Dana would be pretty pissed if EA goes and makes a BETTER game that does not include the UFC name.

Max
06-02-2009, 03:24 AM
This actually has potential to be HUGE for the sport, because EA sports titles already carry a lot of respect in the video game world, and there is still a large amount of talent out there that they could potentially get to be a part of the game. If they get a lot of other non-UFC fighters on board it could help draw more mainstream appeal to the whole sport.

I'm not sure if the UFC signed a multi-year deal with THQ, but I can imagine Dana would be pretty pissed if EA goes and makes a BETTER game that does not include the UFC name.
I would bet that Dana will try to get the UFC in the EA Sports game as well as a way to make even more money.

J.B.
06-02-2009, 03:43 AM
I would bet that Dana will try to get the UFC in the EA Sports game as well as a way to make even more money.

More than likely THQ will be having none of that :laugh:

but that would be the best thing possible, at least for us gamers! :laugh:

matthughesfan21
06-02-2009, 03:50 AM
then THQ would get upset...it would be the best for the fans though, i'd like the ea game to have guys like Fedor, Robbie, barnett, etc....it would be awesome if you could transfer those fighters over to undisputed, but not likely...the ufc has a contract with thq, and i doubt they would be able to throw their name in with another developer...the contracts are usually exclusive

County Mike
06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
The EA game could be even better, but if it doesn't carry the UFC fighters it won't sell as well. If the Madden, NHL, etc. games didn't have the teams and players from the top leagues it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

J.B.
06-02-2009, 12:27 PM
The EA game could be even better, but if it doesn't carry the UFC fighters it won't sell as well. If the Madden, NHL, etc. games didn't have the teams and players from the top leagues it wouldn't be nearly as popular.

That's true, but I think only to a certain degree. If a game is good and has good replay value, people will play it. People still flock to the NCAA based games from EA, even though they have the colleges on there, they have NO actual players names or likenesses.

If EA can manage to get some legends on there who are not bound to the UFC, along with some current stars like Fedor and others, it could end up doing better than then UFC game. Still, thats a long way off right now. Games hardly ever come out when they say they will, so it could be a while before any of it comes to fruition.

matthughesfan21
06-02-2009, 06:04 PM
That's true, but I think only to a certain degree. If a game is good and has good replay value, people will play it. People still flock to the NCAA based games from EA, even though they have the colleges on there, they have NO actual players names or likenesses.

If EA can manage to get some legends on there who are not bound to the UFC, along with some current stars like Fedor and others, it could end up doing better than then UFC game. Still, thats a long way off right now. Games hardly ever come out when they say they will, so it could be a while before any of it comes to fruition.
NCAA doesn't have the names, but anybody playing the game that pays attention to the college sport knows who that player is, the numbers and stats are right....if they get guys like Fedor, i still don't think it will outsell the ufc game just mainly because a lot of ufc sells are contributed to the casual fan, and the ufc is all most casual fans really know about

Crisco
06-02-2009, 06:08 PM
I as an MMA fan will most definately buy this game regardless of who is in it.

J.B.
06-02-2009, 07:02 PM
NCAA doesn't have the names, but anybody playing the game that pays attention to the college sport knows who that player is, the numbers and stats are right....if they get guys like Fedor, i still don't think it will outsell the ufc game just mainly because a lot of ufc sells are contributed to the casual fan, and the ufc is all most casual fans really know about

I have played more than a few NCAA titles, and not all the stats are right. They don't even make some of them close.

sasquatch
06-03-2009, 04:20 AM
EA Skate and skate 2 are really good games, very real and detailed compared to all the other skateboarding games.

If EA makes an MMA game with the same amount of detail they put into their skate games, it will be awesome!

atomdanger
06-03-2009, 07:38 PM

'
They usually carry respect because they have the real teams, etc...

How is EA going to make an MMA game with NO ufc fighters in it?
I don't imagine this game selling very well.

Even if they used every available Strikeforce and Affliction fighter,
its just not as well known.

Jason 16
06-03-2009, 08:21 PM
how about every fighter under WAMMA that is well known