PDA

View Full Version : Engaged and Underaged

Black Mamba
01-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Anyone on here watch it?

I honestly do not know what to say about it. In ways I'm shocked and other ways I'm not. I remember on New Years Eve, they had an Engaged and Underaged marriage bowl, where 4 couples got married. One couple in particular I would say shouldn't even have gotten married. She's not working, quit going to school to be with her now hubbie, and thinks everything is going to be alright. :huh: What can you really offer someone like that? Nothing. Love can only take you so far. That bliss on your wedding day will only last so long too.

I just don't get why this generation feels the need to rush things. I know more people married and having kids then do trying to better their life. Getting married at 18, 19, having kids at that age (or younger), really does complicate things. And the even sadder part, most of those marriages will end in divorce. :no:

Personally, this show just proves to me that the path I'm on is the right one.

Josh
02-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Anyone on here watch it?

I honestly do not know what to say about it. In ways I'm shocked and other ways I'm not. I remember on New Years Eve, they had an Engaged and Underaged marriage bowl, where 4 couples got married. One couple in particular I would say shouldn't even have gotten married. She's not working, quit going to school to be with her now hubbie, and thinks everything is going to be alright. :huh: What can you really offer someone like that? Nothing. Love can only take you so far. That bliss on your wedding day will only last so long too.

I just don't get why this generation feels the need to rush things. I know more people married and having kids then do trying to better their life. Getting married at 18, 19, having kids at that age (or younger), really does complicate things. And the even sadder part, most of those marriages will end in divorce. :no:

I think it's right for some people and bad for some. The longest marriages I know of were young. My wife and I got married two months after I turned 19. She was 21 and we have been married almost 10 now. I would be interested to see if people are marrying earlier or later now.

TonyCap
02-02-2009, 03:34 AM
It all depends on how mentally mature the couples are. Some people will never be ready and some people get married at a really young age and actually make it work.

County Mike
02-02-2009, 11:08 AM
That's why I waited until almost 40. Had to get that young party stuff out of my system.

NateR
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree with everyone's replies, the "right age" to marry is only determined on a case-by-case basis. Most ancient cultures married kids off between the ages of 13-16 and their divorce rate was incredibly low. Even as recently as the 1920s, it wasn't uncommon for girls to be married off, to much older men (sometimes in their 60s), as young as 7 years old (although that's more akin to modern slavery than the Biblical definition of marriage).

My parents got married pretty young, around 20 or 21, if I remember correctly, and they've been together for over 30 years.

Chris F
02-02-2009, 06:24 PM
We married young My wife was 19 I was 22. We have been married 13 years. The real factor is not age but rather if you have the third strand on your marriage rope. Some of you will know what i am talking about!

MattHughesRocks
02-05-2009, 04:21 AM
You are on the right path Danelle :) I personally will get married 10 minutes before I die. That way, when I say til death do us part ( or whatever that line is:laugh: ) I'll really mean it :unsure-1:

Anyone on here watch it?

Black Mamba
02-06-2009, 12:48 AM
I like that one Michelle. :laugh:

I went to the clinic today and I was talking to a woman who was there with her 18 year old daughter (she has 2 kids already and married). And yes I know back in the days people got married young. Heck in the 1960s you could get house under $13,000, car for under $10,000 and gas for .25 cents. But in my humble opinion, getting married young now I don't think is wise.