PDA

View Full Version : Matt's Faith and Fighting

Powerbomb
05-26-2009, 10:12 PM
I have often wondered if Matt Hughes catching any hate for being a christian in the UFC. I've noticed in my walk that a lot of people seem to have a lot of anger towards us. He seemed to be ridiculed when he had the guys read Ruth on TUF when he was a coach. I have often wondered if he catches these kinds of comments often.

Tyburn
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I think he does sometimes...but I also dont think he lets it bother him. :)

NateR
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
Just go on any other MMA website and you can read the irrational hatred that "fans" have for Matt. It really only exists on the internet and is fed by the "creative" editing of the TUF shows. But those people who would make character judgments of a person based on edited television footage are really not that intelligent to begin with.

So, in the real world, Matt gets very little hate for his beliefs. In fact, his boldness in expressing his faith is one of the main reasons that he has as devoted a fanbase as he does.

CBCS
05-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I agree with Nate. There are some people that will ridicule you for your religious beliefs. As Nate said though, I don't think it bothers Matt. Actually I'm very proud of Matt for his beliefs and being a stand-up individual. He is somone I "look up" too. I hope others can see the qualities in him that we do.

J.B.
05-26-2009, 10:55 PM
So, in the real world, Matt gets very little hate for his beliefs. In fact, his boldness in expressing his faith is one of the main reasons that he has as devoted a fanbase as he does.

I agree here 100%!

I have never seen a more devoted following of fans for any MMA fighter. At least not that I can think of. We also have the best forum, thanks to Nate.

rearnakedchoke
05-26-2009, 11:37 PM
No Christian should ever get bothered for their beliefs if they are a true Christian .. Matt is a true Christian, so he doesn't care what these fools think of him ... and what would a fan of matt care what keyboard warriors say about him ....

Powerbomb
05-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I was just curious how much abuse he takes as a celebrity who is a Christian. I didn't mean anything by it. I think some are getting the wrong idea about my post. I get attacked from time to time by atheists and agnostics while I am out and about in the real world. I was just curious to see if that is amplified when you have celebrity status. I have always been suprised by how much some people seem to hate on Christians even though we show love back. I think that some people think this was in some way an attack or something but it wasn't. I apologize for getting anyone riled up. Didn't realize that I should steer clear of this subject. Ill stick to fight talk from now on. Or Ill just get lost and leave these boards alone. Sorry again.

pistol-pete
05-27-2009, 12:32 AM
I am certainly not a devoted Christian, but I support people when they are 100% committed to their beliefs, cause, or faith. And Matt Hughes may have views or beliefs that I don't but I respect the fact that he lives his life day in and day out by those beliefs and by his faith. It also boils down to the "golden rule", treat others how you would like to be treated, and I see that in Matt Hughes regardless of editing or not, he treated everyone on the show that I saw how he expected to be treated in the same situation.

J.B.
05-27-2009, 12:34 AM
I was just curious how much abuse he takes as a celebrity who is a Christian. I didn't mean anything by it. I think some are getting the wrong idea about my post. I get attacked from time to time by atheists and agnostics while I am out and about in the real world. I was just curious to see if that is amplified when you have celebrity status. I think that some people think this was in some way an attack or something but it wasn't. I apologize for getting anyone riled up. Didn't realize that I should steer clear of this subject. Ill stick to fight talk from now on.

I don't think you riled anybody up at all :unsure-1:

I think basically everybody agrees that Matt gets some extra criticism from the handful of ignorant people out there, but honestly I don't think Matt pays any attention to them at all. Nor should he.

Welcome to the forums!

TexasRN
05-27-2009, 01:17 AM
I was just curious how much abuse he takes as a celebrity who is a Christian. I didn't mean anything by it. I think some are getting the wrong idea about my post. I get attacked from time to time by atheists and agnostics while I am out and about in the real world. I was just curious to see if that is amplified when you have celebrity status. I have always been suprised by how much some people seem to hate on Christians even though we show love back. I think that some people think this was in some way an attack or something but it wasn't. I apologize for getting anyone riled up. Didn't realize that I should steer clear of this subject. Ill stick to fight talk from now on. Or Ill just get lost and leave these boards alone. Sorry again.

It takes a lot more than that to rile anyone up around here. We are very proud to be fans of the the greatest WW of all time for many reasons besides just his fighting record so forgive us if we sound a little defensive of him. You won't find a more devoted fan base anywhere in mma. :w00t:

~Amy

VCURamFan
05-27-2009, 01:28 AM
It takes a lot more than that to rile anyone up around here. We are very proud to be fans of the the greatest WW of all time for many reasons besides just his fighting record so forgive us if we sound a little defensive of him. You won't find a more devoted fan base anywhere in mma. :w00t:

~AmyAlthough, if you want to find the most rabid fan base, just go to Sherdog & suggest that GSP isn't God re-incarnate! :laugh:

Powerbomb
05-27-2009, 01:31 AM
I used to check out Sherdog sometimes but I just couldn't take it anymore.

Miss Foxy
05-27-2009, 02:41 AM
I used to check out Sherdog sometimes but I just couldn't take it anymore.
Oh you definitely belong here!! :wink:

NateR
05-27-2009, 02:49 AM

I don't think you riled anyone up. You should head on over to the politics section and start a thread up about Obama if you want to see people really get riled up. :laugh:

Anyways, welcome to the forums! :cool:

TexasRN
05-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Although, if you want to find the most rabid fan base, just go to Sherdog & suggest that GSP isn't God re-incarnate! :laugh:

Rabies scare me...those shots in the stomach. Ew. :wink:

~Amy

Crisco
05-27-2009, 12:24 PM

lol welcome to the forums and keep in mind I don't think there are many people on the street trying to attack matt hughes.

adamt
05-27-2009, 12:55 PM
i think that is why people like serra antagonize hughes. They don't conciously think "i am going to persecute him for being a christian" ,but that is what it boils down to. Two different world views, and serra tries to force everyone to see it his way and think our matt is a %^&*. (fill in with any expletive). And low IQ people like sherdoggers, continue to proliferate it. And yes if that is how you respond to opposing world views I will call you low IQ.

I hope that someday our matt can reach out and even be a testimony to serra, not for the publicity but in service to our King.

surveyorshawn
06-20-2009, 12:23 AM
You know, Jesus said if the world hates Him (which it does) then they will hate us also, and that is proven more true to me every day. It seems like every other belief system get accommodated and tolerated except us. When I was in college, we had to give Muslims time & space to bow to Mecca & pray, but we could not pray out loud ourselves. I have also noticed that when Hollywood actors & actresses claim to be Christian, or star in "religious" roles, they are almost blacklisted or relegated to only Christian films or minor roles & "B" movies (of course there are exceptions).

I have a friend who is convinced that Matt is a jerk & a bully because of the way TUF portrayed him. This guy is someone I normally respect very much, and I was surprised that he got so caught up in the drama of the production. People complained about how he appeared to be with some of the guys on the show, but honestly, he seems like a guy who pushes himself harder than he pushes anyone else, and holds himself to higher standards than he holds anyone else to, so I don't have a problem with how he is as a trainer, etc. I even feel like if GSP had joked around with Matt needing to learn armbar defense after GSP got him with one, Matt would have just joked back with him instead of getting offended. But that's just me.....

PureRWandB
06-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Negative words spoken against you should/wlll only bother you....
when you decide to actually believe those words spoken.

I have finally come to this conclusion and motto in life:

"Love me or Hate me, but it will never make me or brake me"
:muttering: :duck:

MattHughesRocks
06-20-2009, 03:06 AM
If you look at the big picture you'll see that there are very few people that don't support Matt because of his beliefs and many many many that support him for them.
If you ever take time to look at his myspace friends it's flooded over there with positive comments regarding his Christianity and it's not because those are the only ones that get approved :)

Play The Man
06-20-2009, 04:23 AM
I have often wondered if Matt Hughes catching any hate for being a christian in the UFC. I've noticed in my walk that a lot of people seem to have a lot of anger towards us. He seemed to be ridiculed when he had the guys read Ruth on TUF when he was a coach. I have often wondered if he catches these kinds of comments often.
I think a quote attributed to Winston Churchill (apocryphal or not) is apropos:

"You have enemies? Good! That means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

NateR
06-20-2009, 05:20 PM
"You have enemies? Good! That means that you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."

Excellent quote and very, very true. :cool:

That applies to our country as well as to individuals.

TheDotComKid
06-26-2009, 11:28 PM
I dont think it bothers Matt that people have negitive things to say about his faith.When people laugh or have hateful things to say about christians who profess their love for god theyre just fullfilling prophecie and Im sure Matt knows that.

cubsfan47
06-27-2009, 12:45 PM
I am certainly not a devoted Christian, but I support people when they are 100% committed to their beliefs, cause, or faith. And Matt Hughes may have views or beliefs that I don't but I respect the fact that he lives his life day in and day out by those beliefs and by his faith. It also boils down to the "golden rule", treat others how you would like to be treated, and I see that in Matt Hughes regardless of editing or not, he treated everyone on the show that I saw how he expected to be treated in the same situation.

Exactly. I differ with some of Matt's expressed beliefs; those differences don't bother me because he lives the way he believes. When he had those young fighters read scripture I think that was awesome; it was part of his genuine caring about them as fellow humans.

I wish I was able to live my beliefs as completely as Matt.:cool:

cubsfan47
06-27-2009, 12:50 PM

1. What the others have said; stick around.

2. Check out some of the previous threads in other sections. You will see we have had some real interesting discussions on a variety of topics.:laugh:

Mike1983
08-11-2009, 08:29 PM
The Bible says that anyone who follows Christ will be hated by the world for sharing their faith and living out what they believe...I've had it happen to me a bunch for sharing my faith, but I like Matt, don't care what others think!

I think Matt is a great ambassador to reach the MMA world with the gospel in many different ways. He's had a profound impact on me and my life both as a believer and as a person looking to fight MMA.

cubsfan47
08-12-2009, 12:57 AM
Welcome to the forums. (Oops! This probably belongs in the intro thread:ashamed: )

Anyway, Matt has influenced me as well, although as I posted above we may not believe exactly the same. He lives as he believes.

I started following mma while I was going through the impending loss of my mom and dad. It started by accident one evening as i watching some fighting on Spike. That's where I found out about Matt. Then I read the book about Jens called "Never" and then Matt's book. I feel as though I was led to mma.

Here were guys who were over comers and who "paid it forward." So I realized I had to also.

So after cleaning up my act I get asked "What's gotten into you?"
When the sharing starts the response is sometimes hostile. So yeah Mike what it says in the Word is true.