PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather vs. Marquez, does anybody even care?

rockdawg21
05-20-2009, 12:32 PM
- 2 counter punchers fighting each other is almost always boring
- Marquez fights at 135 and usually weighs 138-140 on fight night
- Mayweather fights at 147 and usually weighs 151-154 on fight night
- The fight is taking place at 147 meaning a significant disadvantage for Marquez

I'm sure JB will argue this, but this is just more proof that PBF is a punk. Marquez fights at 135 and usually only weighs 138-140 on fight night. PBF has made sure this fight happens at 147. If PBF wants to come back to "prove he's the best", he's really going about this the wrong way. Prepare to see him grilled by boxing analysts. I realize it's a "tune up" fight, but this is ridiculous.

The idea of 2 counter punchers fighting each other makes me think of Sylvia/Arlovski III where they refused to throw punches at each other.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=19870&more=1

Floyd Mayweather - Juan Manuel Marquez Will Be Fought At 147!

by James Slater - It seems Juan Manuel Marquez's chances of winning on July 18th are even slimmer. Forget all you've heard and read about the Mexican great's bout against Floyd Mayweather Junior being a catch-weight affair being fought at 143 or 144 pounds. According to Ring Online, in a news piece that went up late last night, the fight in Las Vegas will actually be fought at welterweight, with the limit, of course, being 147 pounds. Talk about an even taller order for the future Hall of Famer who goes by the nickname of "Dinamita!"

According to Ring, the returning Mayweather Junior is better than a three-and-a-half to one betting favourite. For although it remains to be seen if the 39-0(25) master will be affected by his months of inactivity when he steps into the ring at The MGM Grand in less than two month's time, the sheer size advantage "Money" will hold has swayed the bookmakers, and they think he will certainly emerge the victor..

Marquez, however, as gutsy as they come, is undaunted about any advantages Mayweather may hold over him, and he is positive he can shock the odds and win the fight that is being hyped up right now.

Ring reports that Marquez has been training in the Toluca Mountains in his homeland, and that the 35-year-old has been adding muscle to his frame.

"We're doing a lot of strength training," Juan Manuel said. "Building my body, building muscle. We're working out, believe it or not, lifting heavy rocks. We're just trying to get my body right for this fight."

Marquez realises what many people have been saying, pertaining to him having very little chance of winning on July 18th. But he is unconcerned.

"People have a right to say whatever they want," Marquez said. "That's what's motivating me right now. I'm confident. It motivates me to shut their mouths.

"I have a great chance to be the next idol in Mexico."

It is becoming the fighting hero of his country that perhaps motivates Marquez, the former featherweight, super-featherweight and lightweight king, more than anything. The Mexican people love their boxing, and if Marquez can upset Mayweather he will be ranked right alongside any great Mexican warrior you care to mention - and he will feel proud for the rest of his life.

Yes, this news of the bout being fought at full welterweight makes the mountain an even tougher one for Marquez to climb, but it wasn't too long ago we were all downplaying Manny Pacquiao's chances against Oscar De La Hoya and others due to his giving away so much natural weight. Such thinking, after what the former 107-pounder was able to do against Oscar and Ricky Hatton, has been totally forgotten.

Maybe Juan Manuel Marquez is yet another fighter who is able to win against naturally bigger men and continue doing so?

Miss Foxy
05-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Ex-queeze me? I care!! So like yeah WAR MARQUEZ!!!!!!!!! He needs to eat some tortillas and gain some weight!!

Llamafighter
05-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Either way Floyd will get his just desserts when pac-Man KO's him.

rearnakedchoke
05-20-2009, 04:03 PM
well, money mayweather needs the dough, so i guess he cares .. LOL .. too bad he beats marquez than pacquiao ... cuz i really don't like him ..

J.B.
05-20-2009, 07:55 PM
People who just don't like Floyd are gonna look for any reason to hate on him that they can find. If you really wanna go down this road I can start listing every boxer who ever demanded a certain weight for a fight, or boxers who "ducked" other fighters. However, the last time I made a list of fighters to prove a point, it fell on deaf ears. Guess people don't really watch boxing as much as they say they do. :Whistle:

Floyd left as a welterweight, and he is returning as a welterweight. Marquez is lucky he is even getting a chance to cash a huge a paycheck and fight Floyd. If JMM did not want to fight at 147, he did not have to. Why should Floyd cut down when he has been fighting at 147 pounds since 2005 and is considered the best in the world?

Not EVERYTHING in the fight-game is about a popularity contest. Just because people don't understand Floyd's style, or get some of his antics, they blindly hate on him without even so much as giving him the respect he has earned and deserves. See, I don't try to do that to ANY athlete, unless they are truly the arch-rival of one of my favorite athletes, and even then I come right out and admit I just being a hater. Plus, I just don't get all the disdain people have to show for Floyd. If they took any time at all to read up on the guy they would see he is really a great dude.

Oh, and unless any of you have some sort of hard evidence that shows us Floyd's financial status, or words straight from Floyd's mouth please don't assume you know what you are talking about. The man is loaded and he has his hands in a lot of other business ventures. He didn't come back entirely for money, because we all know he never TRULY left in the first place.

Here is a quote straight from Floyd's mouth, and I think it's common sense that this is the biggest reason Floyd is back.

"I was really missing just being around the sport,"

Go ahead and ride the Manny bandwagon while it's hot. Kevin Iole said it's okay. :tongue0011:

EDIT : I am from now on referring to the Manny Bandwagon as the Man-Wagon.:tongue0011:

rockdawg21
05-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Ex-queeze me? I care!! So like yeah WAR MARQUEZ!!!!!!!!! He needs to eat some tortillas and gain some weight!!
Funny. Somebody on the PacMan forum showed a photo of Erik Morales now that he's fat and said with the Morales' diet, it'd be easy to get to 150 by fight time. :laugh:

rockdawg21
05-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Yeah, Marquez is crazy for allowing that to happen, so it does fall on his shoulders, but it still says something about Floyd once again stacking the odds in his favor. Good for the record, bad for the legacy, but it appears now, he doesn't care anymore, or so he says. It is nice to hear him respecting Marquez' skills although, IMO, he isn't being reasonable about the weight issue. Plus, Marquez is dying to get back in the ring with Pacquaio and I'd imagine he feels this is the only way to get a 3rd shot, by winning over Mayweather.

As for "hard evidence", I obviously can't provide it, but it'd been discussed months before his return:

$6.1 million dollars in back taxes from 2007
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/112082-floyd-mayweather-jr-is-knocked-out-of-money
http://www.boxingscene.com/index.php?m=show&id=17856
http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/the_sporting_blog/entry/view/16481/money_mayweather_is_out_of_..._well_..._money

It also doesn't help that he was robbed of $7 million in jewelry last August
http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=8939288

Now it isn't hard evidence, but taking a $13.1 million hit coupled with the ineviteable loss of stock value had to cripple his wealth.

Yeah, but he says that now, AFTER Hatton got KOed by Pacquaio. Before the match, it was about "proving he's still the best." Since the fight, his comments have toned down about proving he's the best.

As for riding the "Manny bandwagon", I've been a fan since 2002 when he was a super bantamweight. Never did I expect him to go up so high in weight, but he was rolling over guys until he lost to Morales in 2005. I've always enjoyed his fights because he always takes it to the other fighter.

rearnakedchoke
05-20-2009, 09:12 PM
People who just don't like Floyd are gonna look for any reason to hate on him that they can find. If you really wanna go down this road I can start listing every boxer who ever demanded a certain weight for a fight, or boxers who "ducked" other fighters. However, the last time I made a list of fighters to prove a point, it fell on deaf ears. Guess people don't really watch boxing as much as they say they do. :Whistle:

Floyd left as a welterweight, and he is returning as a welterweight. Marquez is lucky he is even getting a chance to cash a huge a paycheck and fight Floyd. If JMM did not want to fight at 147, he did not have to. Why should Floyd cut down when he has been fighting at 147 pounds since 2005 and is considered the best in the world?

Not EVERYTHING in the fight-game is about a popularity contest. Just because people don't understand Floyd's style, or get some of his antics, they blindly hate on him without even so much as giving him the respect he has earned and deserves. See, I don't try to do that to ANY athlete, unless they are truly the arch-rival of one of my favorite athletes, and even then I come right out and admit I just being a hater. Plus, I just don't get all the disdain people have to show for Floyd. If they took any time at all to read up on the guy they would see he is really a great dude.

Oh, and unless any of you have some sort of hard evidence that shows us Floyd's financial status, or words straight from Floyd's mouth please don't assume you know what you are talking about. The man is loaded and he has his hands in a lot of other business ventures. He didn't come back entirely for money, because we all know he never TRULY left in the first place.

Here is a quote straight from Floyd's mouth, and I think it's common sense that this is the biggest reason Floyd is back.

Go ahead and ride the Manny bandwagon while it's hot. Kevin Iole said it's okay. :tongue0011:

EDIT : I am from now on referring to the Manny Bandwagon as the Man-Wagon.:tongue0011:
i don't think anyone said he wasn't a good boxer, but when you act like a fool, you are gonna have some people hating on ya ...

J.B.
05-20-2009, 09:16 PM
Rock, you do realize that Bleacher Report is a blogging community. Anybody can post articles there. I have an account there myself. The sporting news article is no more than an op-ed piece that references the Boxing-Scene article. Dave Larzelere obviously did not do his homework, because WWE has NEVER paid anybody anywhere near $20 milliion dollars for one performance. He is just another wannabe boxing e-journalist.

Six million in back taxes is a lot of money, but it's doubtful that he will end up having to pay that much back, and regardless, he has made well over $60 million dollars in JUST BOXING. This is a NON-STORY just being drummed up to make it look like Floyd is desperate and Manny is king. Stupid.

As for the $7 million in jewelry got robbed... Have you ever heard of insurance?

Nobody is going to be talking about this fight being at 147 when they talk about the legacy of PBF 20 years from now. Except of course for the bitter haters who just are just looking for a reason to bash him.

I'm glad you have only been on the Man-Wagon since 2002, you did not have to see him get Ko'd by Singsurat's jab.

J.B.
05-20-2009, 09:22 PM
i don't think anyone said he wasn't a good boxer, but when you act like a fool, you are gonna have some people hating on ya ...

That's fine, be a hater, just admit it. Same thing I have always said. :)

Your view of him being a "fool" is your opinion. However it seems anytime people get called out on why they don't like the guy, their reasons are usually fickle and ridiculous.

rockdawg21
05-20-2009, 09:28 PM
I just grabbed some quick stuff, most of which seemed to point to the article on boxingscene.com. As for the WWE, yeah, it was funny to hear that $20 million was being paid to PBF. It was reported later that he received around $3 million. Pretty nice chunk of cheese!

There's other articles that point he was fighting it, but obviously, nothing disclosed about how much he did pay back if at all, which is how it should be. I don't really think it was drummed up to make Manny look like a king. That was talked about before his fight with DLH anyways.
(of course, he'd be a fool not to have it covered especially after flashing it on MTV "Cribs") or that the entire amount was paid. We all know insurance (pretty much) never covers the entire amount even when you have spectacular coverage.

I'm not looking for a reason to bash PBF. I'm simply stating, at first, he came back to "prove he's the best", but fighting a guy 2 weight classes below himself only proves he's full of crap. And you're right, few people will probably mention it 20 years from now, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's currently being discussed on many forums and news reports.

Yeah, haven't seen that one, but I saw his first time getting KOed when he was 17. It's on YouTube. He looked like a toothpick. But, the talk is his accomplishments as of late. He's been on fire.

rearnakedchoke
05-20-2009, 09:31 PM
That's fine, be a hater, just admit it. Same thing I have always said. :)

Your view of him being a "fool" is your opinion. However it seems anytime people get called out on why they don't like the guy, their reasons are usually fickle and ridiculous.
that's fine, than i am a hater ... even though i did say he beats marquez and pacquiao ...

Miss Foxy
05-20-2009, 09:50 PM
I don't hate Floyd only thing I didnt like was when he mocked Mexicans. I mean everyone does, but if someone were to mock a black person that would be the end of it!! Thats what makes me not wanna root for him. Boxing wise he's pretty bad a**.. Thats just being truthful. However I got bigger fish to fry right now with 98 on Saturday. I can't think straight I just want Serra to get served so bad! So him all his stupid fans and all those fly by night MMA fighters can STFU!!:angry:

Josh
05-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Rock, you do realize that Bleacher Report is a blogging community. Anybody can post articles there. I have an account there myself. The sporting news article is no more than an op-ed piece that references the Boxing-Scene article. Dave Larzelere obviously did not do his homework, because WWE has NEVER paid anybody anywhere near $20 milliion dollars for one performance. He is just another wannabe boxing e-journalist.

Six million in back taxes is a lot of money, but it's doubtful that he will end up having to pay that much back, and regardless, he has made well over $60 million dollars in JUST BOXING. This is a NON-STORY just being drummed up to make it look like Floyd is desperate and Manny is king. Stupid.

As for the $7 million in jewelry got robbed... Have you ever heard of insurance?

Nobody is going to be talking about this fight being at 147 when they talk about the legacy of PBF 20 years from now. Except of course for the bitter haters who just are just looking for a reason to bash him.

I'm glad you have only been on the Man-Wagon since 2002, you did not have to see him get Ko'd by Singsurat's jab.
He won't pay anywhere near 6 million. Valentino Rossi (MotoGP racer) owed 100 million in back taxes and I think he had to pay around fifty. He just took it out of the bank. No need to liquidate anything.:laugh:

J.B.
05-20-2009, 11:19 PM
that's fine, than i am a hater ... even though i did say he beats marquez and pacquiao ...

You can think he will win and still be a hater :laugh:

J.B.
05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't hate Floyd only thing I didnt like was when he mocked Mexicans. I mean everyone does, but if someone were to mock a black person that would be the end of it!! Thats what makes me not wanna root for him. Boxing wise he's pretty bad a**.. :

Well, you do understand WHY he does that right? It's not really to take any shots at Mexican people in general, it's a part of the history of boxing. His Uncle Roger Mayweather was called the Black Mamba because he used to always beat Mexican fighters.

People mock black people all the time. just like everybody else. In boxing it's not seeded out of racism, it's seeded out of nationalism.

Of course, thats not saying you have to like Floyd. Not at all. Just explaining for those who don't understand.

rockdawg21
05-20-2009, 11:48 PM
Well, you do understand WHY he does that right? It's not really to take any shots at Mexican people in general, it's a part of the history of boxing. His Uncle Roger Mayweather was called the Black Mamba because he used to always beat Mexican fighters.

People mock black people all the time. just like everybody else. In boxing it's not seeded out of racism, it's seeded out of nationalism.

Of course, thats not saying you have to like Floyd. Not at all. Just explaining for those who don't understand.
I actually found it comical that he came out wearing red, white, and green and a sombrero with Roger walking behind him when he fought DLH. One thing about it is, I'd imagine that's not entirely Floyd's persona, he's just hyping the fight. I mean, his uncle and dad are pretty arrogant, and I'm sure Floyd is too, but not to the extreme he portrays to sell tickets.

J.B.
05-20-2009, 11:51 PM
I just grabbed some quick stuff, most of which seemed to point to the article on boxingscene.com. As for the WWE, yeah, it was funny to hear that $20 million was being paid to PBF. It was reported later that he received around $3 million. Pretty nice chunk of cheese!

There's other articles that point he was fighting it, but obviously, nothing disclosed about how much he did pay back if at all, which is how it should be. I don't really think it was drummed up to make Manny look like a king. That was talked about before his fight with DLH anyways.
(of course, he'd be a fool not to have it covered especially after flashing it on MTV "Cribs") or that the entire amount was paid. We all know insurance (pretty much) never covers the entire amount even when you have spectacular coverage.

I'm not looking for a reason to bash PBF. I'm simply stating, at first, he came back to "prove he's the best", but fighting a guy 2 weight classes below himself only proves he's full of crap. And you're right, few people will probably mention it 20 years from now, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's currently being discussed on many forums and news reports.

Yeah, haven't seen that one, but I saw his first time getting KOed when he was 17. It's on YouTube. He looked like a toothpick. But, the talk is his accomplishments as of late. He's been on fire.

Look, I think you are putting way too much emphasis on Floyd's return being about "proving he is the best". You are focusing on a micro-issue of something Floyd has said rather than seeing the big picture. He has already sealed his legacy, no matter what happens in this fight or with Manny.

Boxers/Fighters retire and come back ALL THE TIME. Sugar Ray Leonard, Ali, now Floyd. It's almost expected. It's always been about being the best, from the beginning, to the end, and now the resurrection. The truth is these guys just can't stay away from the sport until their bodies and the families actually keep them away. Unless you are Tyson and just lose your heart (and mind) from vicious dirt-bags in the media taking shots at you day in and day out and every aspect of your life being under a microscope.

The only thing I really disagree with in your last post is that I DO think the negative press on Mayweather is to drum up positive hype for Manny. Why? Because negative versus positive keeps people reading one publication over the other, and Manny is what is "hip" right now. Seriously, the only thing they have to go on is that Floyd owes some money in back taxes, but the headlines make it seem like he is FLAT BROKE. Sports journalism is cut-throat industry full of contradiction, just like the regular media. The same people who are crapping one guy today will be his biggest fan tomorrow.

Another thing, going back what came up from Miss Foxy's comment, it really irritates me that Boxing seems to have lost it's sense of nationalism over the last 20 years. Maybe I am just old school, but I very rarely would root for a foreign fighter over an American when it comes to a boxing match of this size. I am not saying it's bad to root for Manny, not at all, because I am actually fan of Manny myself. I am just a fan of the sport, period. However, when I was a kid and I got into boxing the fans seemed to be much more nationalistic then they are today. Now, it seems like the only time that matters anymore is during the Olympics.

J.B.
05-20-2009, 11:54 PM
I actually found it comical that he came out wearing red, white, and green and a sombrero with Roger walking behind him when he fought DLH. One thing about it is, I'd imagine that's not entirely Floyd's persona, he's just hyping the fight. I mean, his uncle and dad are pretty arrogant, and I'm sure Floyd is too, but not to the extreme he portrays to sell tickets.

http://www.aolcdn.com/ch_bv/floyd-mayweather-200.jpg

Yes, Floyd Sr., and Roger are arrogant, and Floyd Jr. can be too. However their reputations precede them in the boxing world.

Crisco
05-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I'm not a hater.

I think the dude talks to much personally.

That's it.

rockdawg21
05-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Mayweather's not having financial problems, so why have an "Everything must go" yard sale?

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-5699-NY-Boxing-Examiner~y2009m5d25-Money-Got-Not-Floyd-Mayweather-plans-mammoth-yard-sale

If this keeps up they will be calling him Money May Not or Money Pay Not.

Or how about Money Got Not?

If his pockets keep on leaking, Floyd Mayweather Jr. will be asking for a loan, not a fight, from Manny Pacquiao.

Now comes the hot word, as evidenced on Ebay, that Floyd has been forced by financial problems to auction his Cadillac Escalade limousine to the highest bidder.

Maybe Manny Pacquiao should buy it and give the limo to one of his lackeys just as a symbolic gesture of how he is in the bucks up position while Pretty Boy is bucks down.

I’m hearing persistent rumors that the economically troubled Mayweather is preparing a July 4th Yard Sale on the grounds of his Las Vegas mansion and the sales pitch is “Everything Must Go” and “No Reasonable Offer Refused.”

Mayweather sidekick Laughing Lenny Ellerbe will act as the auctioneer at the yard sale. WBC title belts and other trinkets will be marked down from their usual $39.95 retail price in this once in a lifetime (Mayweather hopes anyway) offering.

Given the date, Ellerbe will wear a red,white and blue Uncle Sam costume while head trainer Roger Mayweather, if not incarcerated at the time, will wear his always comical ‘I AM NOT AN IRS AGENT’ sweatshirt.

The real jewel of the Mayweather Estate, the prestigious universally recognized BOXING'S BEST POUND FOR POUND SYMBOLIC BELT, will not be up for purchase as it is now dusty and musty with the current owner of the current belt believed to be living in some Asian archipelago.

"We thought that the pound for pound diadem would be worth millions but it's all dusty and musty now," said a Meayweather brokesperson named I.O. Plenty.

Word just in that bosom buddy and running partner, rap star Fitty Cent, will be there and will be personally selling an autogrpahing some of his CDs at--get this, you G Unit followers--a special price of 49 cents. Imagine only 49 Lincoln pennies and you go home with some musical classics signed by a guy who cannot spell "fifty cents."

Adding some flair to the sale will be the Al Haymon-arranged muscial appearances of golden oldie groups, Two Degrees and The Three Tops. Mayweather's adviser, who once brought in $90 million in one year of concert promoting, explained that Floyd could not afford the appearance fee for the Three Degrees or the full Four Tops of Motown fame. There is also an outside chance the Four Stairsteps may show.

As a sideshow to the Mayweather Yard Sale, Floyd Senior will be hawking Ricky Hatton Official Souvenirs at cutrate prices. This Hatton memorabilia sale will be divided, like his Pacman fight, into two short rounds.

Unfortunately, at least $7 million worth of gaudy jewelry which was pilfered by a team of gutsy cat burglars (led by a suspect named “Johnny Brassballs” according to gossip site TMZ) cannot be offered because all that is still in parts unknown.

Law enforcement officials say that finding the crooks who took Mayweather’s loot is not the highest priority in Vegas which continues to be beset by murders and other drug crimes.

Further evidence of Mayweather’s damaged wealth came when he allegedly reneged on the purchase of an $8.5 million mansion on Miami’s celebrity enclave, Hibiscus Island.

A Florida developer filed suit against PBF and Mayweather Promotions, a Nevada limited liability company, charging that the contracted for $850,000 down payment was never paid.

As a further enticement to get bodies onto the Mayweather grounds to inspect the merchandise, Floyd Sr. is putting his unique collection of historic bottles of Mountain Dew up for grabs.

The bottles, like Poppa Floyd's brash and incessant prefight words about how Hatton would decimate Pacman, are completely empty.

Just to pitch in, Oscar De La Hoya and the Golden Boys will be selling cover stories, inside stories and of course ratings in their house organ, their boxing Wurlitzer, The Ring magazine.

Those wanting to see the advance catalogue for the big alfresco sale can phone 1 800 BROKE AS A JOKE or go to the dedicated website which is www.IRStaxleviespenatliesreallysuck.

Also, I heard it was rumored that he sold the Escalade limo, but here it actually was sold on eBay Motors:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110363743894&viewitem=

This may not be "hard evidence" as you call it, but it certainly is inductive reasoning that Floyd's financial status isn't what you make it out to be. He even told ESPN's Brian Kelly that he was returning for the money and it's not about belts or being the best which is simply another part of the puzzle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlZ2i_DDv8c&feature=related - Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jjQntgxur0&annotation_id=annotation_970244&feature=iv - Part 2

"If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck and quacks like a duck, then chances are it's a duck."

Crisco
05-26-2009, 01:54 PM
It's hard to take that article seriously.

rockdawg21
05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
It's hard to take that article seriously.
It is pretty lame that he's deliberately poking fun at Mayweather, but, with the way Mayweather conducts himself, it's bound to happen.

J.B.
05-26-2009, 04:59 PM
UBER-FAIL

Inductive reasoning? You call a completely fake article inductive reasoning? :huh: Straight up, I hope somebody beats the crap out of Michael Marley for writing that garbage. Maybe one of 50 Cents boys will pay him a visit in his office parking lot one day...

Oh, and nice way to try and spin the interview with Kelly to fit your liking. What Mayweather ACTUALLY says is that he does not need a belt to define his legacy. He has already proven himself, which IS true.

I was actually going to post that interview myself because Ring Magazine decided to use that interview to spin a headline that said Floyd WON'T fight Manny. Although Floyd clearly says that he WILL fight Manny, and just admits to having issues with promoter Bob Arum. Just more proof of the Boxing media scapegoating PBF to trump up Manny and create hype. Did I mention that Ring Magazine is now owned by DLH?

If you knew anything about Brian Kelly's history with Floyd, you would know why Floyd is so stand-offish with him during that interview.

Oh yeah, one of Obama's cars was just sold on EBAY not too long ago. He must be broke too. :rolleyes:

You keep bringing up Floyd's financial situation as if it somehow would negate the fact that he is still considered one of the best fighters in the world. Whats with that? I realize you are trying to make some lame point about Floyd coming back for the money, but it's a moot point. Even if it was only about the money, which I am sure that is PART of it, why do you need to keep dragging the guy through the dirt? Talk about things that matter and are relative to the actual sport, not the man's personal business. Especially when it's all just here-say at this point. If you have an article that shows Floyd saying he is broke, or something that shows him filing bankruptcy, then post it. Otherwise, lets the media pigs roll around in that dirt, don't play that game.

rockdawg21
05-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Completely fake? Guess we'll see on July 4 :laugh:

I didn't spin the interview. Mayweather says he doesn't need a belt to define his legacy because it's already proven. That's still debated by many boxing analysts as there are many who commend him for his undefeated record, yet, handpicking opponents. Once again, smart for his record, bad for his legacy, just depends how you see it I guess.

The argument concerning Arum is another debated "excuse" as to why PBF won't fight Manny. PBF says he will fight him, but then says he will not allow Arum to make money off of him, which is ridiculous, because PBF openly admits his return is about money. If he wants another blockbuster paycheck fight or 1 million+ PPV buys, he'll either have to fight Pacquaio or Mosley. All his fights before he fought DLH and Hatton weren't mega buys either. Of course, I realize the same is true with Pacquaio.

It's either in preparation for a mega fight, or a mega letdown. I hope it goes to a fight, but I'd guess we'll have to wait until July 18 and see how that fight goes (although, I don't see it in Marquez' favor, but wish him all the best).

I know about their history, Kelly is great about getting under Floyd's skin. In some ways, I'm surprised Floyd agrees to go on the show at all.

LOL @ the Obama comparison. Obama wanted to lead by example and switched to a hybrid vehicle, which is why he sold the Chrysler 300 and switched to a Ford Escape Hybrid. I doubt Floyd decided he wanted to go "green" (as in, "protecting the environment") or be less flashy.

Miss Foxy
05-26-2009, 05:32 PM
I love when Rock & Llama go at it!! I hope Marquez can pull off a win. The world of boxing needs it! I must say my love for boxing will never die, but I have been enjoying MMA a lot more than boxing lately. :sad: ..If Marquez can pull this fight off my 2009 will be complete. Hughes set it off!! :wink:

rockdawg21
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Hey! I'm going at it with JB Rattlesnake, not LLama! :tongue0011:
LOL, yeah, we're pretty bad. I'm obviously not a fan of Floyd in or out of the ring; rather, the Mayweathers in general.

I was really just curious to see if anybody cared about the fight enough to purchase it. I'm interested in finding the results and maybe streaming it or downloading it the next day, but since PBF's stacking the deck in his favor (as usual) without a catch weight, and the fact that all he cares about is "money", I'll just save mine and watch it for free.

Besides, UFC 100 is 1 week before that and I'm not going to miss Brock beating Mir to a bloody pulp! :punch:

J.B.
05-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Dude, ALL BOXERS PICK AND CHOOSE THEIR FIGHTS, even Michael Marley, the guy who wrote that article, and is a longtime PBF hater, will tell you that... EVERY LEGACY comes into question when you are talking to the boxing cynics. Seriously, how long have you been watching this sport?

You did spin the interview. You are trying to make it seem like Floyd ONLY cares about the money, when it's more than that. Floyd is not washed up yet, and he knows that fighting Manny will cement his legacy in stone. He also knows that win, lose, or draw, he has still already proven himself, and that IS NOT DEBATED. Of course money IS a factor, but you are just trying to make it seem like the only factor because you just don't like Mayweather, and nothing I am gonna say is gonna change that.

Mayweather vs Mosley would not generate 1 million buys without a LOT of hype simply because Mosley is not nearly as big of a draw as Manny, or even that big of a draw in general. It would be a great fight, but at the same time it's not wrong for Floyd to go after the bigger paycheck at this point in his career. You also keep forgetting to mention that Mosley and Cotto are natural welterweights and bigger guys than Floyd. Every boxer is selective when taking fights like that, EVEN PAC-MAN. When Floyd was coming up from 125 pounds and fighting every other top guy around his weight class, nobody was complaining then. I have listed the impressive names on PBF's resume more than once, but you ignore them.

It seems to me that you have nothing but bashing to do and frankly it's gotten old. I don't know of a single person on this forum who likes Floyd, so I am assuming your posts on this topic are ultimately directed at me. All I ask is that if you actually have some pertinent information that relates to the sport of boxing and not just articles written in jest, and based on here-say, then go ahead and post them. Otherwise, I really can't comment anymore then I already have. We are just going around in circles about nothing at all. It's stupid.

logrus
05-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Personally I think Mayweather is looking for a quick payday and nothing more. Easy fight with everything stacked in his favor right there makes his return questionable. If he was looking to prove hes still top dog he would be going up in weight or fighting someone around his weight level whos worth something in terms of boxing status.

With that also being said spare me the year layoff mumbo jumbo cause other fightrs, sports athletes have taken long layoff and come back to prove they are the s$%t..

J.B.
05-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Personally I think Mayweather is looking for a quick payday and nothing more. Easy fight with everything stacked in his favor right there makes his return questionable. If he was looking to prove hes still top dog he would be going up in weight or fighting someone around his weight level whos worth something in terms of boxing status.

With that also being said spare me the year layoff mumbo jumbo cause other fightrs, sports athletes have taken long layoff and come back to prove they are the s$%t..

Blah blah blah...

Saying that Marquez is not worth something in terms of Boxing status is utter lunacy. You do watch and follow the sport right?

Saying Mayweather needs to go UP in weight is also completely bogus. The dude started at 125 pounds and has fought his way up to welterweight. The only reason he is even fighting that high is because of the talent level. Floyd had already outclassed the others around him and going up to welter was the best move after beating Gatti. Going up any higher would just be dumb. By that logic, any fighter who did not fight at Heavyweight would always just be 2nd tier.

Marquez wanted this fight, and it makes perfect sense for Floyd as a tune-up fight. Mayweather is not stacking the deck against Marquez any more than it already was the moment JMM agreed to fight Floyd. He would not stand a chance either way, and most people in the Boxing community would agree to that.

Nobody said crap about a year lay off for Floyd, but don't act like Boxing is Basketball and Mayweather is Jordan. When you take a year off, it is smart to have tune-up fight, ring rust is a REAL thing. However, all accounts that I have read say Floyd is in great shape and I don't see rust being a problem at all. If anything, I think the year off gave his hands time to heal and probably did him some good.

Let's also remember that this whole idea of Floyd "coming back" ONLY for money is a bit absurd to begin with, considering EVERYBODY who follows the sport KNEW he would be back regardless. Boxers play the retirement card all the time for a lot of reasons. Ali, Frazier, Louis, Leonard, they all retired and came back, and the list goes on and on. The Mayweathers' are pretty much the first family of Boxing, and Boxing has been Floyd Jr's ENTIRE LIFE. To assume that he does care about his legacy and only wants money is just dumb.

Miss Foxy
05-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Blah blah blah...

Saying that Marquez is not worth something in terms of Boxing status is utter lunacy. You do watch and follow the sport right?
Saying Mayweather needs to go UP in weight is also completely bogus. The dude started at 125 pounds and has fought his way up. Going up any higher would just be dumb. By that logic, any fighter who did not fight at Heavyweight would just be 2nd tier.

Marquez wanted this fight, and it makes perfect sense for Floyd as a tune-up fight. Mayweather is not stacking the deck against Marquez any more than it already was the moment JMM agreed to fight Floyd. He would not stand a chance either way, and most people in the Boxing community would agree to that.

Nobody said crap about a year lay off for Floyd, but don't act like Boxing is Basketball and Mayweather is Jordan. When you take a year off, it is smart to have tune-up fight, ring rust is a REAL thing. However, all accounts that I have read say Floyd is in great shape and I don't see rust being a problem at all. If anything, I think the year off gave his hands time to heal and probably did him some good.

Let's also remember that this whole idea of Floyd "coming back" ONLY for money is a bit absurd to begin with, considering EVERYBODY who follows the sport KNEW he would be back regardless. Boxers play the retirement card all the time for a lot of reasons. Ali, Frazier, Louis, Leonard, they all retired and came back, and the list goes on and on. The Mayweathers' are pretty much the first family of Boxing, and Boxing has been Floyd Jr's ENTIRE LIFE. To assume that he does care about his legacy and only wants money is just dumb.
Amen to that!!

rockdawg21
05-27-2009, 01:56 AM
Nobody's doubting the "retirement" part, I haven't seen one poster on any forum that really cares whether or not he "truly retired". It's the old cliche, "Pick on somebody your own size". If he agreed to meet Marquez at 140-142, I would keep my mouth shut.

Saying that fighting Marquez 2 weight classes above his natural weight and calling it worth something is utter lunacy.

Granted, Marquez agreed to it, mostly because he wants a 3rd shot at Pacquaio, but Mayweather also chose to exploit it for his own purpose. Once again, good for the pocketbook, bad for legacy.

J.B.
05-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Nobody's doubting the "retirement" part, I haven't seen one poster on any forum that really cares whether or not he "truly retired". It's the old cliche, "Pick on somebody your own size". If he agreed to meet Marquez at 140-142, I would keep my mouth shut.

Saying that fighting Marquez 2 weight classes above his natural weight and calling it worth something is utter lunacy.

Granted, Marquez agreed to it, mostly because he wants a 3rd shot at Pacquaio, but Mayweather also chose to exploit it for his own purpose. Once again, good for the pocketbook, bad for legacy.

No, you would not keep your mouth shut, because you are a hater. Haters hate, it's what they do. Not to mention you keep bouncing around on what your real reason for bringing this up is. First you say Floyd did not come back to prove he is the best, it's only for money and that is your beef. Now you say you would shut up if he would fight JMM at 142. :tongue0011:

You may need a history lesson in the sport of Boxing my friend. If you are going to call Floyd out on making JMM meet him at that weight for what is essentially a tune-up fight for Floyd you better get ready to denounce a LOT of boxers, and I mean A LOT.

Let's see, right off the top of my head, Sugar Ray, Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, Oscar De La Hoya.... I could keep going, but I don't think you care. You are gonna hate no matter what. Marquez CALLED FLOYD OUT, and Floyd took the fight because it makes perfect sense for him. You can repeat what has become your catch-phrase in this thread all you like "bad for the legacy", but clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

Pick on someone your own size? You mean like how Shane Mosley has been trying to do this whole time in calling out Floyd, the naturally smaller man? Why has he been ducking Paul Williams?

Marquez did not agree because he wants a third shot at Pac, he knows that ain't gonna happen. Marquez wanted this for the paycheck and because he knows his career is pretty much over and fighting Floyd will be the biggest fight of he ever had.

Don't get it twisted man, I enjoy talking Boxing with you, not many people around here follow the sport at all. However, I do think you are singling Floyd out because of your dislike for him and not looking at things rationally and impartially. Floyd has not done anything that all other top ranked don't do in their careers, weather you want to accept that fact or not.

I also think you passed over my last post before what I said to Logrus. That or you just ignored it because of the amount of truth radiating from it. Here you go. http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43429&postcount=28 :)

J.B.
05-27-2009, 02:32 AM
One last thing before I gotta run out for a while, at least Floyd is fighting a top-ranked fighter in his comeback/tune-up fight, a lot of fighters don't even do that. Even if JMM does have to meet Floyd at 147.

JMM is not Pete McNeeley.

rockdawg21
05-27-2009, 02:36 AM
No, you would not keep your mouth shut, because you are a hater. Haters hate, it's what they do. Not to mention you keep bouncing around on what your real reason for bringing this up is. First you say Floyd did not come back to prove he is the best, it's only for money and that is your beef. Now you say you would shut up if he would fight JMM at 142. :tongue0011:

You may need a history lesson in the sport of Boxing my friend. If you are going to call Floyd out on making JMM meet him at that weight for what is essentially a tune-up fight for Floyd you better get ready to denounce a LOT of boxers, and I mean A LOT.

Let's see, right off the top of my head, Sugar Ray, Bernard Hopkins, Kelly Pavlik, Oscar De La Hoya.... I could keep going, but I don't think you care. You are gonna hate no matter what. Marquez CALLED FLOYD OUT, and Floyd took the fight because it makes perfect sense for him. You can repeat what has become your catch-phrase in this thread all you like "bad for the legacy", but clearly you don't know what you are talking about.

Pick on someone your own size? You mean like how Shane Mosley has been trying to do this whole time in calling out Floyd, the naturally smaller man? Why has he been ducking Paul Williams?

Marquez did not agree because he wants a third shot at Pac, he knows that ain't gonna happen. Marquez wanted this for the paycheck and because he knows his career is pretty much over and fighting Floyd will be the biggest fight of he ever had.

Don't get it twisted man, I enjoy talking Boxing with you, not many people around here follow the sport at all. However, I do think you are singling Floyd out because of your dislike for him and not looking at things rationally and impartially. Floyd has not done anything that all other top ranked don't do in their careers, weather you want to accept that fact or not.

I also think you passed over my last post before what I said to Logrus. That or you just ignored it because of the amount of truth radiating from it. Here you go. http://www.matt-hughes.com/forums/showpost.php?p=43429&postcount=28 :)
Actually, I would keep my mouth shut because I'd be interested in the fight (I guess you could say I am interested or we wouldn't be going back & forth on the topic :laugh: ). Anyways, I haven't hated on Mayweather in my life until this fight. I've wanted him to lose for a long time, simply because I don't like his in and out of ring persona.

You make it sound as if myself and logrus know jack squat about boxing and the history of boxing. I chose to ignore that statement because it's just ridiculous. I'm not talking about the accomplishments of Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, etc., I'm talking about what's going on in today's world of boxing, Floyd's claims that he's the best of all-time. I haven't heard one boxing analyst say that Mayweather is the best of all-time - the only person who's said that is himself, which is cool, I admire that self-confidence. Even Ring Magazine gave the nod to Pacquaio as the best fighter of this current decade. Granted, he lost some fights, but what he'd done in this past year was quite extraordinary and he continues to challenge himself. I'm not taking away anything from Marquez, but the fact that he's giving up 10+ pounds, albeit, his choice, just serves as more proof to most people that Mayweather just wants money. The assumptions you're making about my knowledge of boxing is the same thing you're hating on me for about Floyd, "assumptions based on hearsay" is hypocrisy in itself. :laugh:

And actually, I chose ignore the post because of this part of your post. I agreed, but felt like replying for logrus :)

We are just going around in circles about nothing at all. It's stupid. :frantics:

J.B.
05-27-2009, 03:08 AM
The assumptions you're making about my knowledge of boxing is the same thing you're hating on me for about Floyd, "assumptions based on hearsay" is hypocrisy in itself. :laugh:

No dude, it's not here-say. Here-say is when you make an assumption based off rumors. Your knowledge, or lack there of is evident by what YOU say. You have a giant Pac Man sig but you never even knew he got Ko'd by a jab. :laugh:

Then you again reference the Ring magazine as if they are not a little bit biased after being bought by Golden Boy. Seriously, don't you even remember some of the crap you have said in the past? You were the one who eluded to boxers like Leonard never ducking people, but you are wrong. Go back and study, then we can talk again.

rockdawg21
05-27-2009, 03:54 AM
No dude, it's not here-say. Here-say is when you make an assumption based off rumors. Your knowledge, or lack there of is evident by what YOU say. You have a giant Pac Man sig but you never even knew he got Ko'd by a jab. :laugh:
LOL, that's your opinion. And, I knew he was KO'd by Singsurat, but didn't know it was by a jab, big deal.

Then you again reference the Ring magazine as if they are not a little bit biased after being bought by Golden Boy. Seriously, don't you even remember some of the crap you have said in the past? You were the one who eluded to boxers like Leonard never ducking people, but you are wrong. Go back and study, then we can talk again.
What does Golden Boy's purchase of Ring Magazine have to do with anything? Maybe they went by the final 2 accomplishments of both fighters, which in this case, Pacquaio was far more impressive in both fights against the same opponents faced by Mayweather. If you want to bring that back up, we'll bring that back up, but it's another "never ending circle". It still has yet to be seen about Mayweather, as his career is far from over. Hopefully, he'll continue to "come out of retirement" and face champions for their belts, rather than having the champion come up in weight to meet him for a non-title fight. However, I'll be shocked and will be the first to admit I'm wrong if Mayweather does what Sugar Ray did in his past - coming out of retirement to fight for belts without a "tune-up" fight (Hagler, Lalonde, Hearns, Norris, and Camacho). Granted, he didn't win all the fights, but at least he made the attempt. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the only fights I recall Sugar Ray ducking was due to his bad eye.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3618/3322653704_0392148f81_m.jpg

J.B.
05-27-2009, 07:40 AM
LOL, that's your opinion. And, I knew he was KO'd by Singsurat, but didn't know it was by a jab, big deal.

I'm not trying to be a d**k, really I'm not, so think of all this as in a stern but loving, sports talk radio kind of way... you know, where I am the expert host of the show and you are a regular caller calling in with some ridiculous notion... :tongue0011:

But you are obviously posting all this Floyd hate to :fighting0092: at me. So, I felt the need bring up some of the ridiculous things you have said about Boxing.

I'm sorry, but it does not matter if you like Mayweather or not, it don't change the fact that he has never lost, and he has beaten a laundry list of top ranked talent, MORE SO THAN MANNY for that matter. He also has not done anything in his career that plenty of other HALL OF FAME boxers have not done in their careers. He has not ducked any more people, or stacked the deck in his favor any more or any less that A LOT of those guys. You say you don't care about the past, you are worried about the present, well I'm sorry it just don't work like that. You HAVE to recognize things that have been a part of the sport FOR YEARS. If you are going to single out Floyd, you better call everybody else out too. Otherwise you are being a supreme hater and you have already lost the argument.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but the only fights I recall Sugar Ray ducking was due to his bad eye.

Hook, line, and sinker my friend... you took the bait. :)

You just made an excuse for Sugar Ray, but of course when it comes to Floyd it's all bulls**t, right? There are people who say Sugar Ray's bad eye was not as much of problem as his coke habit. If I am not mistaken, the same crap about only wanting money was said about him too, as well as a BUNCH of other fighters. So what does that say about him? See, I really would rather not have to even go to that level, but I am trying to prove a point that almost every HOF boxer has had criticisms of their legacy. It don't change that Sugar Ray was bad MOFO and one of the best boxers ever.

Yet, you don't want to accept a single explanation for anything from Floyd, you just condemn him and say his legacy is tarnished. What about Hopkins? DLH? Pavlik? Ali? Roy Jones? Do all of them get condemned as having tarnished legacies as well? Or is it just Floyd?

See, I think you just hate the guy so much, it blinds your better judgment and prevents you from taking a fair look at things. The only thing I think Floyd is guilty of is BEING A MAYWEATHER, which means he is loud and flashy in front of the cameras. I can understand why people don't always like that, but personally I just look at it as show. It's not something that bothers me, and it's not something that I use to judge people's true character on. Kinda like Rashad Evans, but we will leave that in the other part of the forum.

The one thing that you said that struck me a couple posts ago was that you have wanted to see Floyd lose for a long time but just NOW started hating on him. Doesn't actively rooting for somebody to lose seem a bit, well, like HATING? :laugh:

(Hagler, Lalonde, Hearns, Norris, and Camacho)

See, you messed up again. :Whistle:

If you wanna go into those years for Leonard why would you even mention Lalonde and Norris, but not mention the third fight with Roberto Duran? Or why not mention that when he FIRST came back out of retirement he fought Kevin Norris, a NOBODY. Lalonde was a NOBODY too, and guess what, SUGAR RAY PAID LALONDE MORE MONEY TO FIGHT AT A LOWER WEIGHT. So how is that any different than what Floyd is doing with JMM? If anything, it's easier to go up in weight than it is to come down for most people. They always criticized that fight and say the reason Lalonde got so tired was because of the cut in weight, and he even put Ray on his ass in that fight. Lalonde was still a NOBODY. Sure, he was decent for his time, but not at the caliber of Ray Leonard, by ANY means. Or what about the criticisms that Leonard ducked Arron Pryor?

Juan Manuel Marquez is better than Lalonde, or Norris in terms of overall place in boxing history, so he is NOT a friggin scrub to come back to. Floyd is just that good, so nobody is giving JMM a chance. You are the one who loves the Ring magazine, JMM is NUMBER 2 on their P4P list, so tell me how Floyd is not fighting top competition in his first match back?

What does Golden Boy's purchase of Ring Magazine have to do with anything?

Is this the same Rockdawg who I see post in the politics section? Or did you kidnap him and lock him in a basement?

Seriously bro, you are way smarter than that. You don't think media outlets have agendas? Especially when they are owned by a guy who hates you for not giving him a rematch? Put two and two together. The Ring editors are ALWAYS hating on Floyd, and for that matter I'm sick of the Roy Jones hate from them too.

Maybe they went by the final 2 accomplishments of both fighters, which in this case, Pacquaio was far more impressive in both fights against the same opponents faced by Mayweather. If you want to bring that back up, we'll bring that back up, but it's another "never ending circle"

Allow me to put an end to that circle. :)

Giving Pac-Man the fighter of the decade award is ridiculous, especially when you look at the list of fighters Floyd beat compared to Manny. It's no contest, Floyd beat MORE BETTER FIGHTERS and has NEVER LOST, and I dare you to try and argue that.

Comparing the last two fights is not really fair at all. It's no different than MMA math. Ricky Hatton looked like absolute garbage against Manny. If he would have came out like that against Floyd it would have been over inside of 6 rounds, no doubt. Oh, and Oscar? Don't even get me started. De La Hoya had been sliding down a slippery slope of crap since AT LEAST 2003, but it always helps when you have ALL OF MEXICO behind you. It's no surprise that Pac-Man retired him. Of course, now the magazine he owns boasts Pac-Man as the best boxer of the decade, and not the guy who he WANTED to fight again instead of Manny. Yeah....right.

The only reason he even got a split decision was because of his popularity. They did not even care when he was caught crossdressing, they still love him. :blink:

I love Floyd, he's the best ever

I might not say best ever, but he's up there. Hey, at least you are coming around! :) :tongue0011:

Okay, I know that was long, but this has become an epic battle, and I just had to drive in a nasty rainstorm to the airport in Chicago and pick up a buddy. The traffic really put me in mood for a nice long winded soapbox. I'm just glad it was about boxing and not politics, I'm sick of arguing politics right now. My work is done here.

Rattlesnake Out...:ninja:

rockdawg21
05-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Actually, I posted this to see if any other members were curious enough to purchase the fight. I've already mentioned that in my previous posts.
You may not be trying to be a dick, but saying things like, "I'm the expert and you're the regular caller" is just plain arrogant and insulting, considering I'm FAR from the only person on this forum and many other forums who feel the same as I. I appreciate your knowledge although we obviously have different viewpoints, I'm not going to continue a conversation if you're going to make personal attacks.
At the very least, we can agree that I question Mayweather's legacy, and you don't see any reason to question his legacy, which is fair. :)

J.B.
05-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Well, you may not be trying to be a dick, but saying things like, "I'm the expert and you're the regular caller" is just plain arrogant and insulting. I appreciate your knowledge although we obviously have different viewpoints, but I'm not going to continue a conversation if that's where you need to go to make yourself feel better.

Seriously, it was a joke, I thought you would be game enough to take a little messing around. Besides, you have been poking at me from the very beginning with Mayweather. This entire thread was a stab at Floyd, and I was just countering all the points you made.

I do apologize for offending you, but at the same time you know I am a fan of Mayweather. When you keep blatantly hating on the guy, of course I am going to defend him. I don't hate on Manny, I like Manny. Honestly, it really just irritates me to see people come down so hard on Floyd for things that have been going on in boxing for decades amongst all of the top talent. Certain fighters get a pass, and others don't. It's hypocritical, and hard to take seriously.

So again, I'm sorry if that was over the line in your opinion, but I assure I really meant nothing by it. When I said it, that was honestly the last thing I thought would really piss you off in that post. My bad.

J.B.
05-27-2009, 02:51 PM
At the very least, we can agree that I question Mayweather's legacy, and you don't see any reason to question his legacy, which is fair. :)

Yes, I think that we can agree on that.

Not that it makes your points valid...:tongue0011:

Again...I'm just messing with you

J.B.
05-27-2009, 02:54 PM
, considering I'm FAR from the only person on this forum and many other forums who feel the same as I.

Now, I will also give you that. There are plenty of people who share your opinion, and if they want to debate it with me, I will type all that crap again. Why not?!? :laugh:

I will admit, I have quite a passion for Boxing. I have my whole life, so if I seem a bit over the top on this subject, I do apologize. I get that way sometimes with things I feel strongly about. I think I have shown that more than once around here. :laugh:

rockdawg21
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
No worries man, just trying to make you realize that you kinda went over the top, I know you're a good person and I admire your passion. :)

I love boxing too, I'm not as much of a historian as you are (obviously), but I'm still entitled to my opinion that Floyd is a great fighter, but not as great as he talks.

Anyways, WAR MARQUEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J.B.
05-27-2009, 03:07 PM
No worries man, just trying to make you realize that you kinda went over the top, I know you're a good person and I admire your passion. :)

I love boxing too, I'm not as much of a historian as you are (obviously), but I'm still entitled to my opinion that Floyd is a great fighter, but not as great as he talks.

Anyways, WAR MARQUEZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll call it an Imus moment...well sort of.

You are indeed entitled to your opinion, and I would never say otherwise. I also agree that Floyd is not as great as he talks, but then again I'm not sure anybody ever is.

Floyd will handle Marquez, I have little doubt in that. I just hope that we get to see Floyd and Manny throw down before the end of the year.:wink:

You really should think about that Ring magazine thing though...:)

rockdawg21
06-15-2009, 12:45 PM
UPDATE!!!! Mayweather pulls out due to "hurt rib"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090614/sp_wl_afp/boxusamexmayweathermarquez_20090614215443

Training injury prompts Mayweather to postpone Marquez bout

Sun Jun 14, 5:53 pm ET

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AFP) – The July 18 fight between unbeaten Floyd Mayweather jnr and Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez has been postponed after Mayweather injured a rib in training.

Mayweather had announced the bout on May 2, signalling an end to his 17-month absence from the ring hours before Filipino superstar Manny Pacquiao delivered a devastating knockout of England's Ricky Hatton.

The American, 39-0 with 25 knockouts, was to take on Mexico's Marquez in the same arena where he last fought, stopping Hatton in the 10th round in December 2007 to keep the undisputed welterweight title.

Once Pacquiao had so convincingly dispatched Hatton, it was clear that the Filipino was square in Mayweather's path if the American wanted to claim boxing's pound-for-pound throne.

Marquez was to have been the first step on that road for Mayweather.

"I am extremely disappointed that this fight has to be postponed," Mayweather said. "I was training very hard and looking forward to getting back in the ring on July 18th."

Marquez, the World Boxing Association lightweight champion, was to move up in weight for the bout.

"I was very disappointed to hear the news about the fight being postponed," Marquez said from his training camp in Mexico. "I will remain focused, in shape and ready to fight whenever the fight is rescheduled for."

IMO, lack of ticket sales contributed to his hurt ribs, or rather, his hurt ego. Most people were already taking jabs at his ribs (ego) for fighting a guy 2 weight classes below himself. JB, this isn't a jab at you, I'm just stating my opinion as usual :)

VCURamFan
06-15-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, crap. Now we just wait for JB to show & this whole fight to start again!

rockdawg21
06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Well, crap. Now we just wait for JB to show & this whole fight to start again!
LOL, should I remove the last line?

It's ok, JB and I go back & forth and disagree on everything regarding Mayweather, then we just say the same thing over and over, so I'll just read his reply and keep responding. :laugh:

A rib injury just seems so convenient though, as it's MUCH harder to prove than a broken hand, ligament, etc. The "injury" occurred immediately after Bob Arum mentioned a 50/50 split is possible with PBF facing Pacquaio. Everybody knows this is the biggest money fight in boxing right now, it's definitely the fight all fans want to see. PBF is a clever guy.

rockdawg21
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
Amazing! I was just surfing on Pac's website and one poster already mentioned on June 4, that this would happen because of dismal ticket sales:

http://forum.philboxing.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135456

Golden Boy Promotion has to make a major decision this coming weeks for profit reasons. The proposed mega ppv fights between pbf vs. marquez is not selling well not only in tickets but also to the regular boxing sponsors tecate, cervesa and budwieser who doesnt like to back up the fight. Even the MGM grand didn't hold even a single ticket for the fight for their retail selling with hotel accomodation, while before the MGM always wanted to buy all the tickets in any major bout. According to Brad, less than 300 tickets has been sold as of this time. And theres no indication that it will surpass to 1,000 tickets this weekend. A very dismal showing for a mega fight or a ppv fight. So GBP is planning to move the schedule to August 8 and instead of PPV it will be shown for free viewing.

GBP is not new to this problem, in two weeks or three GBP will have a major announcement to move the fight because of injury to either marquez or mayweather as the reason to move the fight. They always done this every time they smell something wrong at the box office.

Told you guys! Nobody cares to see this fight!

J.B.
06-15-2009, 11:33 PM
This is the first I heard of this, but it's also been a busy weekend for me.

The injury could be fake, but I don't think for a second that it's something Mayweather would have decided to do on his own. He wants to fight as bad as anybody, but if the promoters got spooked It could be true. This is something that has happened in the past, and another unfortunate part of the sport. It don't matter if the injury is real or not, you and the rest of the hate-wagon are gonna talk crap.

Just because YOU and other haters don't "care" about the fight does not mean it would not still have been a good one. Not to mention that most of the people who hate on Floyd, but are still hardcore boxing fans, would still tune in to see the fight. Seriously, which is it? Is JMM a top P4P fighter or not? The Ring magazine, a bias publication owned by DLH, has JMM listed at number 2 on their P4P list. So PLEASE stop trying to concoct a reason to bash Floyd for taking this fight.

The bullcrap about PBF being the bad guy for fighting a guy under his weight is so overdone it's burnt up. All the haters who are bringing this up about Floyd don't say crap when you present them with FACTS about other big name/top rank fighters doing the same thing. They just blindly hate on Floyd because they don't ever want to admit when they are wrong, EVER. Did people forget that we are talking about two guys that ranked in P4P status? In boxing, when you are fighting P4P, somebody is always coming up in weight, it's how it goes. You rarely see a guy go up, up, up in weight, and then come back down significantly. The only fighter I can think of who really managed to do that has been Roy Jones Jr (who is actually my favorite boxer of all time)

At least when you bash Floyd for talking trash or being flashy, or acting ghetto, you have a legitimate reason. This crap about the weight is just ridiculous. If the injury is real, you would still hate on Floyd and probably doubt it, and if it's not, you are just going to hate on him for faking the injury. So, there is no winning that argument. Honestly, unless you have some REAL evidence to show he is faking it, I am willing to believe Floyd. He has never done anything like that before, and I don't see why he would start now. If he did fake it, I truly believe it would be a business move by Floyd to one up the promoters. Maybe he knew they were going to pull their money, so he did this to save face. Obviously, that is all speculation, but even if it were true, it still would take nothing away from PBF, the skills he has, or what he has accomplished. We all know that if he were fighting Manny, the idea of not enough hype would not even be a problem, but that is also largely in part to all the bias s**t-talking from the media about Floyd taking this fight against JMM. Did you ever try thinking about it like that?

Oh, and if Floyd is SOOOO broke, why did he turn down 20 million dollars to fight Oscar again last fall? :huh:

rockdawg21
06-16-2009, 03:03 AM
I'm sure he wants to fight, as he was always in the gym even when he was "retired". Kinda like any professional athlete, it would have to be so hard to lose your identity in your middle years, that really would suck.

I'm not saying it wouldn't have been a good fight, but the proof is in the sales of the tickets; it simply didn't draw any public interest; call it hating all you want, but they hadn't even reached 1000 sales and many of the promoters were withdrawing because of it. I'd imagine PBF and Golden Boy Promotions felt it best to pull out of the fight. Another rumor is that he will go straight for Pacquiao in November, but it appears now that Cotto and Pac will fight each other in November. Yes, JMM is a top P4P fighter, but the highest JMM has ever weighed for a fight is 140, while, I believe Mayweather comes in at 153 when he's fighting at 147. It may not be too much weight as JMM has done a good job increasing weight in his ultimate quest to chase Pacquaio for another shot :laugh: However, you have to commend JMM for wanting to give it a shot against a top 147 pounder.

RJJ is the man, nothing more said, oh, except that I'd love to see him KO Anderson Silva :rotfl:

I don't mind Floyd acting flashy or ghetto, I just don't like his bragging. To me, that's one of the appealing things about Pacquiao is his humbleness. Haha, yes, I would still hate on Floyd if the injury is legit, but I wouldn't bash him for pulling out of the fight. I doubt we ever see real proof on it, but I'm sure he doesn't want to be a laughingstock due to an inability to sell tickets. There's plenty of probable cause, but it's still innocent until proven guilty, but I can speculate all I want because that's what I do! Your last sentence kind of confused me, sorry, lol. If you can reword it, I'll respond. All I can really say is Floyd's trash talking brings the media hatred onto himself. Oh, and my hatred, haha!

Well, I know the fight was scheduled for September 13 or 20 and he'd already turned it down prior to his house being robbed of 7 million in jewelry and many of the other things I'd previously mentioned. I think some of those rumors of his financial issues didn't come into play until after he'd turned down the offer from DLH. Maybe at the time he didn't need the money, but one thing I would imagine is he wanted more respect from DLH in getting a higher cut. I think their first fight was 70/30 or 65/35. Obviously, DLH was the draw (considering PBF's highest views prior to the 2.4 million were in the 400k range), but he did win the decision, so I'd agree he should have been offered more by DLH for a rematch, especially if DLH honestly wanted to fight him again (which I'd say it wasn't revenge by DLH, but greed).

On a side note, did you see the Cotto/Clottey fight this weekend? IMO, the fight was fixed, Cotto got creamed in the last 6 rounds, fought dirty, and 2 of the 3 judges had given prior decisions to Cotto. Clottey was robbed.

J.B.
06-16-2009, 03:38 AM
Starting from the end...lol

No, I missed the Cotto and Clottey fight...sheesh, say that 5 times fast.... anyway, I had busy weekend :laugh:

Dude, even in this crappy economy, 20 million dollars is still 20 million dollars. Getting robbed for some jewelry that you probably had insurance on ain't nothing. The bigger question (which I already know your answer to :laugh: ), is why was Floyd, Oscars first choice for his next fight?

I respect Pac's humbleness as well! See, I love humble fighters, and I also love flashy fighters, I try to look deeper than just the hype when judging who I like and don't like, gain going back to the Rashad Evans comparison, lol However, I think we need to be able look through the smoke and mirrors of what is done in the business side of the sport, in both Boxing and MMA.

As for the weight issue, I think we are going to cancel each other out until you decide to accept the facts that prove this is how it goes in boxing. :tongue0011:

My last comment is NOT to step on your toes, although I know it will, lol...

Manny does not deserve 50/50 and I would not be surprised by the move to go right to the PBF/Pac-Man fight. :cool:

rockdawg21
06-16-2009, 04:26 AM
It's kinda funny, Cotto is promoted by Arum and so is Pac. Immediately after the fight, tons of threads came on Pac's site blasting the decision in favor of Cotto. I only saw a few people who thought it was just, the majority overwhelmingly disagreed.

It really makes me wonder if PBF actually had insurance on all of that jewelry. Some rumors are that it was an inside job, but even as much as I dis Floyd, I KNOW he's above that. Insurance on jewelry is a huge pain in the ass, and if I remember correctly, he didn't have any security cameras in the house? I've seen a photo of some guy, but I don't know if it's real or not.

I like Evans actually, except when he's in the ring, it's weird. However, I liked him in his last fight because Machida didn't give him a chance to be a prick.

Yeah, I know that's how it goes, but I can still make fun of Floyd for being a 5th grader picking on a 3rd grader.

And honestly, I really didn't understand your final comment, lol.

Manny and 50/50 against whom? I was speaking of Mayweather demanding more purse against DLH if they were to fight a 2nd time. IMO, Mayweather earned a higher share the 2nd time around, but DLH was too cheap to give it to him. If Pac and PBF are to fight each other, they would both make plenty of money doing 50/50, that would just be ego on both sides. Pac is arguably the biggest PPV draw in boxing right now (IMO, the lackluster ticket sales for PBF/Marquez just proved that), so he could demand a higher share and it would be right. I just hope egos don't ruin the fight of this decade. 50/50, let's do it!

J.B.
06-16-2009, 06:50 AM
Manny and 50/50 against whom? I was speaking of Mayweather demanding more purse against DLH if they were to fight a 2nd time. IMO, Mayweather earned a higher share the 2nd time around, but DLH was too cheap to give it to him. If Pac and PBF are to fight each other, they would both make plenty of money doing 50/50, that would just be ego on both sides. Pac is arguably the biggest PPV draw in boxing right now (IMO, the lackluster ticket sales for PBF/Marquez just proved that), so he could demand a higher share and it would be right. I just hope egos don't ruin the fight of this decade. 50/50, let's
do it!

Pac does NOT deserve 50/50, I don't care HOW you try to cut it. Of course you will use this "potential" injury-related pull-out to try and justify it as a reason to bash Floyd... You are right there like a zombie, ready to eat it up...

Go ahead and try to compare the level of people Floyd has fought compared to Pac...:rolleyes:

I say let's do it too...but Bob Arum don't deserve nearly what he thinks he does.:wink:

rockdawg21
06-16-2009, 12:28 PM
That's just ridiculous JB. Both fighters have won 5/6 belts in different weight classes, and their 2 final fights have been against the same competition. Pac may have sold less tickets, but, the world is also in a recession. Pac also managed to decisively destroy both fighters, in 10 rounds, where it took Mayweather 22 rounds while struggling against both fighters.

As for the level of competition fought by each fighter, it's basically equal by their respective weight classes. We know whom each fighter has fought so there's really no need to go there. Both fighters beat champs in their prime and both fighters beat champs who were basically on their way out.

I'm not completely convinced Floyd is a draw anymore considering this last outing with JMM and less than 1,000 ticket sales. However, the world is gunning for Pac and only Mosley and JMM are gunning for Floyd. Pac is the draw, but I still wouldn't have a problem of 50/50, although the higher amount should go to Pac, as he has become the draw with his last 2 fights. They should just stop bellyaching and go 50/50, I just want to see the fight. Another proposed idea I've seen is 60/40, with the winner grabbing 60. I like that idea. How do you justify that Mayweather should get the majority? He's just proven once again that he can't sell tickets when Hatton and DLH aren't part of the card.

J.B.
06-16-2009, 12:48 PM
That's just ridiculous JB. Both fighters have won 5/6 belts in different weight classes, and their 2 final fights have been against the same competition. Pac may have sold less tickets, but, the world is also in a recession. Pac also managed to decisively destroy both fighters, in 10 rounds, where it took Mayweather 22 rounds while struggling against both fighters.

As for the level of competition fought by each fighter, it's basically equal by their respective weight classes. We know whom each fighter has fought so there's really no need to go there. Both fighters beat champs in their prime and both fighters beat champs who were basically on their way out.

I'm not completely convinced Floyd is a draw anymore considering this last outing with JMM and less than 1,000 ticket sales. However, the world is gunning for Pac and only Mosley and JMM are gunning for Floyd. Pac is the draw, but I still wouldn't have a problem of 50/50, although the higher amount should go to Pac, as he has become the draw with his last 2 fights. They should just stop bellyaching and go 50/50, I just want to see the fight. Another proposed idea I've seen is 60/40, with the winner grabbing 60. I like that idea :)

It's not ridiculous...and obviously we DON'T know who's beat who....:laugh:

There is no argument that Floyd has beaten more better competition, do I NEED to post the list, AGAIN? :rolleyes:

Pac is the flavor of the week, and he has everybody riding his bandwagon, so now he deserves 50/50? Pac has been KO'd. and Floyd has NEVER lost, or even really been threatened.You can say that Pac beat Oscar and Hatton quicker than Floyd, and I can say he fought them EARLIER and when they looked much better, and you cannot deny that.

This crap with JMM is just outright bogus. IF, and I said IF, this injury IS being faked in order to bypass it and streamline a bigger fight due to poor reception, than I DIRECTLY blame the mainstream boxing media. I also think I have made my point of view on their bias quite clear well before this story came to pass. This negative press directed at Floyd is what I consider responsible for the poor reception of a fight that SHOULD BE RESPECTED. Friggin JMM is RANKED NUMBER 2 on The Ring's P4P list but somehow Floyd is a bad guy for fighting him??? Could it be because JMM is widely considered to have beaten Pac, and Floyd turned down the fight with Oscar (the fight Oscar WANTED) so Oscar was forced to fight Pac, and then get OWNED? Do you really think that Golden Boy is not responsible for this? :angry:

Meh......:mad0233:

rockdawg21
06-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Ugh, well if that's how you feel, there's no point in going there as it's a moot point. Even though it pains me so much, I'm giving credit to both fighters, whereas you're not. :D

LOL, both fighters were selling 300-400k per PPV until they fought DLH and Hatton, so to call Pac flavor of the week is just ridiculous. So the guy has lost 3 fights, his last loss being a decision 4 1/2 years ago and his first loss was when he was 17 years old. The only people playing on those losses are you and Floyd, everybody else is looking at what's been done recently, as Pac's last outings have been outstanding.

For somebody who buys into all of Floyd's talk, it's ironic you would then point the finger at the media, like it's their fault this fight didn't mature and claim people bought into it :rotfl:. Like I said at the beginning of the thread, it's been mentioned in many forums (and articles) that Floyd is simply trying to pick on JMM and watching 2 counter punchers square off isn't exciting. To myself, and many fans, the thought wasn't exciting at all, without having to read the news. I love boxing, I buy as many boxing PPV's in a year as I do UFC events, but that wasn't appealing to me in the least. Depending on the outcome, I'm still not even sure if I would have bothered downloading it. Yes, Floyd is a bad guy for picking on a guy 2 weight classes below himself, the same thing was said about DLH for picking on Pacquaio. If JMM would have been able to do the impossible and pull out a win, that would have been forgotten the same way DLH was for fighting Pac (I managed to win some money betting $200 on Pac in that fight, gotta love those Vegas odds ;) ).

J.B.
06-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Ugh, well if that's how you feel, there's no point in going there as it's a moot point. Even though it pains me so much, I'm giving credit to both fighters, whereas you're not. :D

LOL, both fighters were selling 300-400k per PPV until they fought DLH and Hatton, so to call Pac flavor of the week is just ridiculous. So the guy has lost 3 fights, his last loss being a decision 4 1/2 years ago and his first loss was when he was 17 years old. The only people playing on those losses are you and Floyd, everybody else is looking at what's been done recently, as Pac's last outings have been outstanding.

For somebody who buys into all of Floyd's talk, it's ironic you would then point the finger at the media, like it's their fault this fight didn't mature and claim people bought into it :rotfl:. Like I said at the beginning of the thread, it's been mentioned in many forums (and articles) that Floyd is simply trying to pick on JMM and watching 2 counter punchers square off isn't exciting. To myself, and many fans, the thought wasn't exciting at all, without having to read the news. I love boxing, I buy as many boxing PPV's in a year as I do UFC events, but that wasn't appealing to me in the least. Depending on the outcome, I'm still not even sure if I would have bothered downloading it. Yes, Floyd is a bad guy for picking on a guy 2 weight classes below himself, the same thing was said about DLH for picking on Pacquaio. If JMM would have been able to do the impossible and pull out a win, that would have been forgotten the same way DLH was for fighting Pac (I managed to win some money betting $200 on Pac in that fight, gotta love those Vegas odds ;) ).

Okay, here I go....lol...

So DLH was a bad guy for picking on Manny? :rolleyes:

VERY FEW PEOPLE SAID THAT CRAP WHEN DLH MADE THAT FIGHT.

You just don't get it, no matter how many times I explain it, so I give up, lol... If JMM would have won the fight, you say you would forget about the weight issue. OF COURSE YOU WOULD, you are a Floyd HATER, period. What really boggles my mind is the fact that you REFUSE to accept what is right in front of your face. GOLDEN BOY has the sport on LOCKDOWN right now.

Sorry bro, you are NOT giving proper credit to both fighters. Obviously you are too blinded by the storm of Pac-Man love. I agree with you about looking at a boxer's recent fights, but you don't wanna talk about the JMM fight. You seem to ignore that. Yeah, Manny won, but that's not what a LOT of people think. I don't care that his "first loss" was when he was 17, WTF is that? Floyd has NEVER lost, and not even really been in danger of losing. Yet somehow it should a be a 50/50 split when Floyd is the MUCH MORE accomplished fighter? Floyd has BEATEN MORE BETTER FIGHTERS, YOU CANNOT ARGUE THAT, and you still have not really tried to. I am not the ONLY person who thinks that, but I doubt you are going to find a lot of impartial views spending your time on Pac-Man's forum.

The only thing you keep trying to point to like a broken record is the DLH and Hatton fights, two fights against two washed up fighters who had been looking WORSE and WORSE with every passing fight. By your MMA math idea, Ray Mercer is better than Fedor because he KO'd Tim Sylvia quicker. :rolleyes:

How is it ironic that I said I blame the media for poor reception of this fight? GO BACK AND READ WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING, or keep being a hater and denying the facts that sit right in front of your face. Let's ALSO BE VERY CLEAR, we don't KNOW the details of the injury, and it's all speculation at this point. You are just giddy as a school-girl that you can rip on Floyd, rather than use some rational judgment to think about WHY the fight has gotten poor reception. Why did all the media need to write this fight off as pointless, or a joke, or PBF is the "bad guy", and all that crap? JMM is widely considered to be number 2 P4P. Is Floyd NOT allowed to have a tune-up fight after more than year out of the ring? NO, ONLY OSCAR and the REST OF THE BOXING WORLD GETS THAT... if Mayweather does it he gets demonized. I mean COME ON, it's the NUMBER 2 P4P fighter in the world right now!

It's so obvious it's sickening. You say it's the weight issue, which is just being a hypocrite or simply inept to how the sport works, and then you say that "it's two counter punchers". Give me a break, ridiculous, just plain ridiculous. This is a DECENT matchup, and people were going to to tune in. I would not even be surprised if the number of ticket-sales are a lie, or a deliberate action taken by the promoters. I also have said, I could see a scenario where they wanted to streamline the fight with Pac-Man, and that Floyd could even be in on it, and if that is the case, it's sad, but at this point I am not sure I believe that. I truly believe that Floyd WANTED to take this fight because he would feel more comfortable coming in with a tune-up under his belt, even though that tune-up is the NUMBER 2 in the world.

I have been a Mayweather fan since he has come up, and I have also liked Pac-Man for some time too. I am the ONLY one in this argument who is not an admitted hater of one of the fighters. You wanna say in one breath that Floyd is a BAD GUY for fighting JMM, but in the next breath you wanna quote Ring Magazine, or some other mainstream boxing journalist who plays the same ass-kissing politics they have been playing since that washed up crossdresser and his racist convict partner took over the business end of the sport. You don't see the CLEAR bias bullcrap that is going on, because you don't care, you are just happy to bash Floyd, and cynics are happy to feed you, rather than do the right thing and report impartially on the happenings of the sport. These stupid wannabe hack journalists that want to criticize Floyd's every move ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM. America needs to get behind one of it's fighters RIGHT NOW, the sport could really use it, and we have a guy as talented as Floyd, but the media goes out on a limb to tear the man down. It's F**KING RIDICULOUS. Printing fake stories about garage sales, making Floyd out to be a bum, questioning him at EVERY TURN. It's like they LOVE to HATE him, and you eat it right up Rock. This has been a long standing thing between the Mayweathers and a lot of the people in the sport. Floyd Sr and Roger made their fair share of enemies in the last 35 years, and that has not helped Floyd Jr one bit in all this mess.

The only reason they are so high on the Man-Wagon is because Oscar gave them the OKAY. Oscar does not want Manny to be perceived as anything less than the best in the world. WHY? Because Pac-Man is who retired him. Don't forget, DLH wanted to fight Floyd, and he offered $20 million dollars to do it. Manny was his SECOND option. Of course Manny could do 300-400k PPV buy, he is the ONLY fighter that Fillipinos care about. It's different here in America, especially right now and you know it. Of course there are still some people out there who get it, and see this for what it is. I tend to find that those people are like me and have been watching the sport their entire life and are really fed up with the way things are being run nowadays. You can't think I just made all this stuff up? It's something I have been observing for the past decade. You will see, if Manny ever truly crosses GBP, he will be next.

I will say that "flavor of the week" was probably a poor choice of words. That suggests that he will come and go, as if he is a fluke, and I don't think Manny is a fluke by any means. I just think that Mayweather has WAY too many people jumping on his hatewagon, yet they don't really know what they are talking about. They use hypocritical comparisons and blatantly ignore facts just because they don't like Floyd's character. Although, on the flip-side, every single account that I have read about Floyd according to people who know him on a personal level suggests that he is a nice guy and really great person. People just don't know how to separate the politics and nuances of the sport from their personal judgments of character. It's fine to be a hater, I truly believe that, but just make it clear that you are a hater, and don't try to pass off weak points as strong ones just to hold on to your hate for a certain fighter. If you a going to be critical, be fair about it, and give that same criticism across the board, not just to the fighters you hate.

J.B.
06-17-2009, 01:03 AM
Heres some more food for thought...

http://sports.yahoo.com/box/news;_ylt=AoOa4ZpfA4FjYOj4y3tpxgaUxLYF?slug=ap-mayweather-injured&prov=ap&type=lgns

The AP is reporting that Mayweather can barely sit, and that he is going to a doctor this week. So, now it's pretty clear that Floyd IS actually hurt.

However, that does not change the fact that the negative press will keep on being spun about Floyd. The only reason people would NOT care about this fight is if they are Floyd haters or water-cooler fans. This is the man ranked NUMBER 2, and Floyd retired ON TOP OF THE P4P list. How can you call yourself a fan of Boxing and not even be a little interested in seeing this fight? Oh, that's right, you just want to say NOBODY CARES because you HATE FLOYD and want to see him fight Manny because you think Manny is king-sh*t of turd-mountain. You saying that you would not even download the fight just makes me question how much you really like the sport.

Read that article, it's from the AP, who is as fair as can really get when it comes to sports reporting. They said the fight IS going to be rescheduled, but they are just waiting for a doctors approval. That was even said by GBP, so the idea of this being a setup is all but thrown out the window at this point.

Oh, yeah whats that other part in that article, did I read that right? Did it say that Floyd IS meeting JMM at a catchweight of 143? Guess he's not AS bad as you keep trying to make him out to be, but you will NEVER admit that, and I know it.

One last thing, I took the liberty of checking out "Pacland", and I gotta say, I am quite surprised, but not really. Not only are his forums just a giant pool of Floyd haters, but even the articles posted on the front page of his site are all directed at Floyd. It almost seems a bit desperate if you ask me. Very hard to take some of the people on those forums seriously too. No offense. I mean really, if Floyd is such a piece of crap, and Manny has nothing to prove, why are so many of his hardcore fans DROOLING over the chance to see these two throw down? Weather you agree with me or not, and I am sure you will find a way not too, you cannot deny ALL these points I have raised, and the FACTS about Golden Boy. Did you read recently that B-Hop called out Manny saying that he is ducking Mosley? Still think I'm crazy about how this business works?

For the record, not that it makes much difference, Floyd does not have any negative press about ANY other fighters on his website (http://floydmayweather.com). And it's COOL too :cool:

PS - Rock, this should go without saying by now, but NOTHING I say when we debate this stuff is meant to be PERSONAL in ANY way. Just some good ol' fashioned ribbing, ya know? I do respect that you share a different opinion, but I do think you need to see some of these issues from a different perspective. Thats all!

rockdawg21
06-17-2009, 02:33 PM
I saw this last night, and said, "Yeah right, I'm going to sleep!" LOL

Hey! The Fedor/Mercer argument was obviously a joke! :angry:

I read plenty of articles where people bashed DLH for "picking on Manny". Maybe it's because most of the articles were pointed from Pac's website, that makes sense. I didn't say that I would forget the weight issue, I was saying the majority of people, including the writers, would forget the weight issue. How am I refusing to accept that GBP has a stranglehold on boxing? I've barely even mentioned GBP except that they were probably involved with Floyd's possible withdrawal from the JMM fight.

I can make a comparison between whom each fighter has fought, but because it wouldn't make any difference in either of our eyes, there's no point in wasting the time debating about it. Like I said in my previous post, both fighters have won 5/6 belts in their respective weight classes. They beat the best at the time when they won the belts. What makes Floyd's wins better? The fact that the fighters were heavier, so they were bigger names in the mainstream? You don't really have to answer that, as I said, I'm not really up for debating that because we will never see it the same way, and that's cool with me :)

I'm not being blinded by things as much as you make it out to be. Writers have every right to say what they want about a fighter; I seriously doubt DLH is telling the press to say bad things about PBF especially since he's promoting him. If GBP has such a huge stranglehold on the boxing press, they could have easily had the press promote the fight much better, but that isn't the case of most columnists. The point I'm making is that PBF comes back, continues to talk like he's the best, then doesn't even want to compromise to fight a much smaller fighter, and demands that JMM come and fight him 2 classes above his own weight. If he were willing to meet JMM at 140, I would have been interested in the fight. Of course, I admit that my viewpoint is that PBF will not have any problems beating JMM, but I think with their evasive/countering fighting styles, it would end in a decision. Keep in mind, I'm HARDLY the only person on the planet who sees it this way. Educated or uneducated fans know it's a silly concept.

Yes, Floyd is entitled to a tune-up fight, but IMO and most people's opinions, he should have chosen somebody much closer to his weight. I guess, I respect the fact that he was ready to face the #2 P4P (according to boxrec.com, JMM is #4 or #5, can't remember which I saw), but once again, the weight issue "blinds" me. :laugh:

I still don't think many people were going to tune in to watch the fight. Unfortunately, I'm the only one in my circle of friends who watches boxing, so all I really had were people I talked to on this forum and a few other forums (Pac's forum and a fitness forum). From what I've seen, you and I are the only ones who care, lol! He may actually be injured, but when that guy on Pac's forum posted a week in advance of "Floyd's injury" that GBP would probably fake the injury due to lackluster ticket sales and withdrawal of corporate sponsors, that really opened my eyes. At first, I was like, "Well, that kinda sucks", but after reading that post, it definitely changed my mind. At least, I was hoping for a Mayweather victory because I want to see Pac/PBF fight this year or early next year. Unfortunately, it appears we may never see it as Pac/Cotto seems next, and Pac wants to make a run at an elective office in the Philippines in 2010. :sad:

C'mon man, I've hated Floyd ever since the first time I heard the guy talk. I don't need the press to tell me who to like and who not to like. If that were the case, I would be a Barack Obama supporter. :tongue0011: I would love for America to have a great champion. Floyd is charismatic, undeniably talented, but an asshole, at least through his public persona. He brought that negative press onto himself, not his father or uncle, he revels in playing the role of "The man we all love to hate."

I understand what you're saying. I've already admitted you know more about boxing than I do, but I'm still entitled to my opinion. From my viewpoint, it sounds like you're a conspiracy theorist, but I know you have your reasons and you explain them well. I'm being extra critical against PBF, I know that, and like I've said many times, it's his whole arrogance/persona that bugs me and makes me critical of him; if he just let his fists do the talking, I'm sure I would be behind him. Most of my opinions of him are formed long before I ever read an article; I just think it's funny when I make fun of something he does then somebody else thinks the same way.

Just because Floyd is undefeated doesn't entitle him to the majority share in the fight. Pac is the most popular fighter in the world right now and if he's the one responsible for the majority of purchase, he should be entitled to a larger share. IMO, both fighters should hang up their egos, make the fight 50/50 or 60/40 going to the winner, and give the fans what they want. I like the idea of 60/40 going to the winner, as I think it would make the fight even more competitive. If both fighters TRULY believe they are the best, that would be the best way to prove it.

C'mon JB, you know that AP report was sent by GBP, as they have a stranglehold on the boxing world and what gets reported :tongue0011: Actually, I've read the same Schaefer quotes too, in articles not done by the AP. On a side note, Schaefer wasn't saying much about Mosley/Pac, but now that it appears GBP spent a lot of money promoting the PBF/JMM fight, they want to try to make it up with a Pac/Mosley showdown. Honestly, if there were any fight besides PBF/Pac or PBF/Mosley, that's the fight I'd like to see. Dude, there are TONS of articles there that say 143, 144, or 147. Most of the ones I've read are stating the fight is taking place at 147.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2009/05/news-marquez-to-fight-mayweather-jr-at-147-instead-of-143/ - States 147
http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxing-article/6916/mayweather-smart-fight-pacquiao-now/ - States 144 (The article also states a lot of things I've been saying, that Pac is the draw, not Mayweather).
- However, it seems the most recent ones are stating 143/144, but still, nothing is definitive.

If it's true that he's willing to do a catch weight of 143, I'm done being critical about the fight (except that it's 2 counter-punches, you can't deny that!), that's no BS even if you want to say it is :tongue0011: On that note, I'm done with the JMM/PBF discussion.

Yeah, the Pac site is full of nuthuggers, it's worse than the BJ Penn nuthuggers :laugh: but, you can definitely see why as Pacquaio's visibility in the world gives light and hope to the people of the Philippines. In many ways, they feel he is fighting for them. His victories give an "identity" to the people of the Philippines, so I can see why they would be all over him. Many people over there don't even get to see his fights simply because they can't afford a television or service.

I agree that Pac is ducking Mosley, but it's easy to duck and not be criticized when you're the smaller fighter. Like I said above, that's the fight I'd like to see the most behind Pac/PBF and/or PBF/Mosley. Even Roach openly states he'd rather not fight Mosley, but I want to see it! The biggest reason behind all that is because Manny wants to make a run for elective office in 2010, and if he doesn't get a victory, it's more likely that he wouldn't win the election. Keep in mind, I know all this, you just haven't asked me to be critical of Manny. :laugh: No doubt, he "cherry picked" Cotto, especially because he waited until the end of Cotto's fight to decide that he wanted to fight him. The only thing is that it's kinda hard to call somebody a "cherry picker" when they are the smaller guy, but I still think it's kinda crappy. Mosley is the best at 147 IMO, he should fight Mosley.

I know it's nothing personal JB. It's actually refreshing to see somebody out there who appreciates boxing, even though it seems to have been forgotten in the most recent years. It's getting exciting, I just hope the best fight the best instead of ducking each other over personal and money issues. That's why I think fights like this should have the majority split going to the winner instead of having a majority split pre-determined.

I gotta go, but I'll check out Floyd's site. I'm already upset though, I have it when websites use Adobe Flash or Shockwave :rotfl:

Miss Foxy
06-17-2009, 02:49 PM
I don't care who it is im for anyone against Pacquaio!!!!!!!:punch:

rockdawg21
06-17-2009, 02:57 PM
I don't care who it is im for anyone against Pacquaio!!!!!!!:punch:
Racist! :tongue0011:

Miss Foxy
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Racist! :tongue0011:
You know it!!!!! I want to see an American/Mexican/German/Russian.....I see enough Filipinos in the military commissaries!!:laugh:

rockdawg21
06-17-2009, 03:00 PM
You know it!!!!! I want to see an American/Mexican/German/Russian.....I see enough Filipinos in the military commissaries!!:laugh:
I knew it! You just like Mexicans and white boys! :rotfl:

rockdawg21
06-17-2009, 03:03 PM
JB, I know it appears that Pac's site only links to articles that praise Pac and hate on Mayweather. I just went to his site and this article is the top link on his site:

"Pacquiao Cherry-Picked Cotto"
http://www.examiner.com/x-10947-Indianapolis-Fight-Sports-Examiner~y2009m6d17-Pacquiao-cherrypicked-Cotto

EDIT:
Upon further reading the article, the writer was asking how it could be cherry picking considering Cotto is a legitimate 147 pound champ, and Pac is the smaller fighter. It'd be a good matchup, but I'd still rather see him take on Mosley.

J.B.
06-17-2009, 05:43 PM
Of course the Fedor/Mercer comparison was a joke, but you still understand my point about making those kind of comparisons. :wink:

Pac is NOT ducking Mosley... B-Hop is just trying to get more money for Shane, it's what promoters do, and that does not bother me, but make no mistake that its just more positioning by GBP. I am not convinced that the Cotto fight is gonna happen yet. Pac could easily lose against Mosley or Cotto, and if he does that will only hurt his bargaining power with Floyd down the road.

The AP is legit, especially when it comes to sports reporting. If you check out the major news sites like ESPN and Yahoo, you will see that they only site the AP. When I say that GBP has the press on lockdown, I think you are mistaking what I am saying. It's not like it's a giant conspiracy where Oscar calls everybody into a room and says "this is what to say", but it's clear that in the last 10 years the amount of things that have gone unchecked by a lot of the most respected people in the boxing media is no secret. Is it crazy to think that sports writers kiss certain asses to keep getting better stories? Kinda like the way NBC coddles Obama. :laugh:

GBP did not WANT the media to ruin a potentially great fight especially one they have money wrapped up in, but they also are not going to stick their necks out TOO far on this one. It's a win/win for GBP at this point, because Floyd is the one getting all the negative attention, and now they can bash Pac-Man too by saying he is ducking Mosley. I do think the media has given negative press on this fight, but I also never said I believed all the reports of lackluster figures from the event. I was reserving judgment until I could read a bit more, and make an educated decision on what I thought of Floyd's injury. From everything I have read, I think it's clear that he is really injured, and this fight is GOING to happen. If the fight was REALLY going to be such a let-down, they would not have bothered saying they committed to rescheduling. I guess we'll see.

Sure, writers can say what they want, but clear and unapologetic bias just looses a lot of stock with me. A lot of these "columnists", are no different than you or me, sitting behind a keyboard with an opinion. There are still a handful of people who have been reporting in the scene for YEARS and their bias is pretty easy to see through. Make no mistake, GBP is NOT helping to promote FLOYD, they only care about their stable. They are working WITH Floyd, because they have their hands so deep in the pockets of this sport it's crazy. For Floyd, it's a situation where he has little choice, almost like a fighter who hates the UFC but still has to work with them because they have the industry on lockdown.

Now, BACK to the weight. The catchweight of 143 is the real deal. I was hearing that in the beginning, and I have no reason NOT to believe the AP report. Even if they did go to 147, I would still not see it as a reason to throw Floyd under the bus. Floyd knows this is a tune up fight, and he wants to be at the weight he has been fighting at, and the weight that is closer to what he will fight at in his next fight. I am not denying that JMM is the naturally smaller fighter, but THIS IS P4P. Do you forget that Floyd started fighting at 130 pounds? This is HOW IT GOES. Pac-Man is not going to be able to hide behind the idea that he is the smaller guy if he wants to fight these guys that have top P4P status in today's scene. Floyd has been taking heat about Cotto and Mosley LONGER than Pac, and he is smaller than both of them. Of course you are HARDLY the only one thinking that, but a lot of noobs and nuthuggers take their cues from what one source's opinion is without giving the whole thing a fair look. If it's their guy who is smaller, they are going to whine about every single pound they can, if the converse is true they won't say anything.

JMM wanted this fight too, and he understands the way it works. He is not as popular as Floyd, and has MORE to gain and less to lose by fighting Floyd. SO, he is going to have to come further to Floyd's side of the bridge. I cannot tell you how many fights have worked this way over the years, because honestly it's like trying to imagine infinity, it's hard to wrap your brain around it because the list is so long. I am not saying that PBF and JMM is a BLOCKBUSTER fight, like I said, it's decent. I too think Floyd will handle JMM in a pretty effortless fashion, but you never know after a lay-off from action. It just sucks that this is getting put of till probably September, at least that is the word as of now.

Of course you have hated Floyd since the first time you heard him talk. We are long past that. The point is, you are not seeing things from an objective point of view and relating the circumstances that surround things with Floyd the same way you would with other fighters. Floyd has a polarizing personality, and he makes it real easy to hate him by being cocky and being flashy. However, I think people need to get off that crap, and look at the person deeper than that. Just because you don't like Floyd, and some "columnists" don't like anything with the name Mayweather, it don't mean everybody needs to tear him down with OVERLY ridiculous criticisms and even down right lies. Of course, writers can say what they want, and you can like who you want, but my point is they are not serving the sport when they write bias bullcrap, they are only playing to YOUR emotions of hate for Floyd in order to get you to read THEIR story. Not ALL writers are doing this, but A LOT, and in MMA too.

Pffft...conspiracy theorist? Don't give me that crap. :angry: Conspiracy theorists are people like Rosie O'donnal saying Bush planned 9/11. We are talking about Boxing. How can you say I am a conspiracy theorist for giving an opinion that is COMPLETELY PLAUSIBLE. Media outlets are in the tank for people ALL the time, in politics and other sports, what makes you think it's that crazy? Besides, YOU friggin just posted your own conspiracy theory about Floyd faking the injury, and your rogue poster on the Man-Forum coming out and predicting it like a Boxing-Wizard :Whistle: :rolleyes: :laugh:

Being undefeated against the level of competition Floyd has beaten compared to Manny most definitely means it should not be 50/50. I know that you think that 50/50 is "fair", but guess what LIFE is not fair. :laugh:
Seriously, Pac may be the most popular fighter in the sport at this moment, but that is only because he has a whole country behind him, like Oscar used to. I know you don't want to get into comparing fighters they have beaten, you have said it many times, but the only reason you don't is because it's really no contest. You can say 5/6 titles all you want, but Floyd has beaten MORE BETTER FIGHTERS. When you want to debate that, we will, I am ready.

There is no fair comparison between Pac and Floyd in trying to say, "who is the real draw". Both of them draw similar numbers and interest, but Americans' are not buying boxing PPV's as much anymore with the crappy economy. Hence more water-cooler fans, and people watching at local bars. Not to mention that a lot of the reporting on PPV numbers has become shady, on all sides, and in MMA too. Of course Manny does great in the Phillipenes, he's like their shining light of hope. We got Brett Favre, Manny Rameriez, and LeBron Bryant to worry about here in the USA, not to mention that UFC thing everybody is talking about, so of course Boxing has taken a back seat in America as of late. However, before you go off into Pac-Land and dream of him saving Phillipenes, it should be noted that Floyd (you know that guy who is so broke), runs a charitable foundation to help poor kids too. So there! :tongue0011:

rockdawg21
06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
I don't feel like making a long response today, lol, sorry man.

Thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwlhBdaoBs

I'm not really sure when he said it, but the vid was posted 7/08, so I doubt his opinion has changed. Pretty cool to hear that coming from PBF. I really hope we get that showdown. Hopefully, Pac will lose the election in 2010 just like he lost in 2007. The Filipinos still want him to fight.

I have a question to ask, but I'm being really lazy today, actually, just busy today, so maybe I can ask it this evening or tomorrow.

J.B.
06-18-2009, 06:02 PM
I don't feel like making a long response today, lol, sorry man.

Thought you might find this interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwlhBdaoBs

I'm not really sure when he said it, but the vid was posted 7/08, so I doubt his opinion has changed. Pretty cool to hear that coming from PBF. I really hope we get that showdown. Hopefully, Pac will lose the election in 2010 just like he lost in 2007. The Filipinos still want him to fight.

I have a question to ask, but I'm being really lazy today, actually, just busy today, so maybe I can ask it this evening or tomorrow.

We will get that showdown, and I never doubted that Floyd would consider Pac number 2 P4P. Technically, Pac is number 1 because Floyd still has yet to fight since retiring but that is all just semantics. :)

rockdawg21
06-26-2009, 08:37 PM
The fight's been rescheduled for September 19, big deal, I'm still not gonna buy it. :laugh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090626/sp_wl_afp/boxusamexweltermayweathermarquez_20090626172543

Mayweather-Marquez bout rescheduled for September

2 hrs 10 mins ago

LAS VEGAS, Nevada (AFP) – Undefeated Floyd Mayweather Jnr's fight against Juan Manuel Marquez, postponed from July when Mayweather suffered a rib injury, will be staged on September 19, promoters announced on Friday.

The 12-round bout, marking the return of Mayweather after a lay-off that will eventually stretch to 21 months, will be staged at the MGM Grand here as originally planned on July 18 after doctors cleared Mayweather to fight on the later date.

Mayweather was hurt in training for the fight, his ring return that fight fans hope will be a stepping stone to an eventual showdown with Filipino star Manny Pacquiao, Mayweather's successor as the world pound-for-pound king.

"I am relieved to be cleared to fight as I was already looking forward to getting back in the ring," Mayweather said.

"I will destroy Marquez and reclaim my rightful place as boxing's pound-for-pound king all in one night."

The US star will face Mexico's Marquez on what is the Mexican Independence Day weekend.

"I am happy that Mayweather has been cleared to fight and we can get down to business," said Marquez, who intends to give Mexicans another reason to celebrate.

"I will be fighting for (people) who will have a great reason to celebrate my win over Mayweather, which will be for the entire country of Mexico. I am sure of victory."

J.B.
06-27-2009, 09:24 AM
The fight's been rescheduled for September 19, big deal, I'm still not gonna buy it. :laugh:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090626/sp_wl_afp/boxusamexweltermayweathermarquez_20090626172543

For somebody who "does not care" you sure post a lot of stuff about the fight! :laugh:

You may not buy it, but you will be watching...I'm gonna get in your head over the next few months and you won't be able to resist. :tongue0011:

rockdawg21
06-27-2009, 01:10 PM
For somebody who "does not care" you sure post a lot of stuff about the fight! :laugh:

You may not buy it, but you will be watching...I'm gonna get in your head over the next few months and you won't be able to resist. :tongue0011:
Actually, I posted this for you and Melissa. I'm not going to buy it. If anything, I'll see the result and if it goes down to a decision, which is my prediction, I won't even bother watching the fight. If it ends in a KO/TKO, I'll probably download it. As for watching it live, not worth $50 to watch 2 non-aggressive guys fight each other.

J.B.
06-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I won't even bother watching the fight. If it ends in a KO/TKO, I'll probably download it. As for watching it live, not worth $50 to watch 2 non-aggressive guys fight each other.

So if it ends in a KO then this is entire thread was a waste....:rolleyes:

Was it you who commented on my bleacher report article by saying that most boxing fans don't like Floyd's style?

Because I missed the part where defense, speed, and accuracy were suddenly something to look down on. You must not be talking about actual boxing fans. :blink:

Those are called "water-cooler" fans. :wink:

rockdawg21
06-27-2009, 05:17 PM
So if it ends in a KO then this is entire thread was a waste....:rolleyes:

Was it you who commented on my bleacher report article by saying that most boxing fans don't like Floyd's style?

Because I missed the part where defense, speed, and accuracy were suddenly something to look down on. You must not be talking about actual boxing fans. :blink:

Those are called "water-cooler" fans. :wink:
Just wait and see. The fight will not even sell out unless they drop the ticket prices and will do no more than 150,000 PPV buys (U.S. only) as Mayweather doesn't have as many fans as he or you thinks. I'll sig bet that too.

J.B.
06-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Just wait and see. The fight will not even sell out unless they drop the ticket prices and will do no more than 150,000 PPV buys. I'll sig bet that too.

I don't "sig" bet.... but if you wanna talk cash then I am game. :laugh:

Besides, whats the point? Personally, I think the fight will do fine, but the only reason you are harping on this is to try and discredit Floyd.

Boxing has taken a hit in recent years in America, largely because of MMA. It's NOT really news to ANYBODY who follows Boxing that this fight is not going to put up record breaking figures. You are just digging for a reason to hate on Floyd. When the news first broke of Mayweather's injury, you said it was fake. Now you know thats not true, so it's back to saying he's not a draw. :rolleyes:

Truthfully, I think a bigger reason that the numbers could seem lower than expected is because JMM is probably NOT as big of a draw as they anticipated. It happens.

Rather than worry about bashing a fighter and carrying on about how much you are NOT going to watch the fight. Why not just embrace it as another event that is going to shape the direction of the sport in the way of super-fights in the next year or so.

Believe me, your boy Manny is rooting for Floyd.

rockdawg21
06-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I'm not harping on the fight, I'm telling you what I believe to be true, 2 counter-punchers facing each other is a boring fight in the majorities' eyes.

I still don't know if that's true. There hasn't been a doctor who's said it or a paper produced. Who threw the punch heard 'round the world? Nobody has any idea and nothing has been proven, there's only been talk about it. One could speculate either way.

I don't think Marquez is a big draw in the U.S. either, but, one could also look at it the other way around - Floyd didn't produce spectacular PPV numbers until he fought a guy named De La Hoya and a guy named Hatton, but did produce respectable numbers. I know the same is true about Pac so back off of that subject. :ninja:

And yes, I'm rooting for Floyd to win the fight so Pac can wipe that smug smile off his face :laugh: I just hope that Pac doesn't really go into politics. He ran for office in 2007 (I was in the Philippines during the election) and barely lost. Hopefully it will happen again, but his popularity has gotten even higher since that time.

J.B.
06-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm not harping on the fight, I'm telling you what I believe to be true, 2 counter-punchers facing each other is a boring fight in the majorities' eyes.

I still don't know if that's true. There hasn't been a doctor who's said it or a paper produced. Who threw the punch heard 'round the world? Nobody has any idea and nothing has been proven, there's only been talk about it. One could speculate either way.

I don't think Marquez is a big draw in the U.S. either, but, one could also look at it the other way around - Floyd didn't produce spectacular PPV numbers until he fought a guy named De La Hoya and a guy named Hatton, but did produce respectable numbers. I know the same is true about Pac so back off of that subject. :ninja:

And yes, I'm rooting for Floyd to win the fight so Pac can wipe that smug smile off his face :laugh: I just hope that Pac doesn't really go into politics. He ran for office in 2007 (I was in the Philippines during the election) and barely lost. Hopefully it will happen again, but his popularity has gotten even higher since that time.

Thats fine, you think two counter punchers is a boring fight. But it's still a fight that makes sense in the rankings, and for Floyd in his comeback from retirement. You also don't know that just because they are both counter punchers historically that the fight we be "boring". I also don't really buy too much into the "boring" fight beliefs that most people share. I admire the sport, and I guess I am viewing the fights through a different lens. "The majority", are not true fans of the sport. Same thing in MMA.

The fact that the fight got rescheduled is all the proof you need. Go back and read what we were saying to each other when the news of his injury broke. At first, I even said that it could be fake, but only in an effort to BYPASS this fight and go straight to the table with Manny. If this fight was going to do so terrible, they would have just scrapped it right there, and then we would be hearing about how "it's gonna happen down the road".

I'm not talking about JMM's draw in America, I'm talking about the draw they expected from him out of Mexico. I don't think Mexicans care as much about him now as they did a couple years ago. When you talk about the figures of guys like Oscar, Hatton, and Manny, you need to remember that these guys are HUGE in their respective countries. Literally, they are HEROES. Nobody gives a crap here in America.

America has lost it's sense of nationalism with Boxing, and most of the meathead fans looking for the most violence they can get have moved over to MMA. It's sad but true. Considering how messed up our economy is, the rise of MMA, and all the other sports Americans care about, it's a wonder that Floyd is as popular as he is. Did you know he was one of highest earning athletes in the world in 2007?

American fans are mostly fickle and fair-weather, especially when it comes to fighting. They only care about heavyweights and KO's.

It's actually sad to people like me, and I hope you, who truly respect Boxing and MMA.

logrus
06-27-2009, 06:11 PM
A decent under card and the fight will sell well only cause Mayweather still does have a huge fan base. He was a huge celeb favorite to so you know they will be out in huge forces to see Floyd fight. As for PPV this is questionable if he still has those fans in this time who will drop the cash to see him fight. Then again put a good fight before them with a couple of names and I think it will easily sell around your mark.

As for the fight it has now been pushed to mid September =/

J.B.
06-27-2009, 06:14 PM
A decent under card and the fight will sell well only cause Mayweather still does have a huge fan base. He was a huge celeb favorite to so you know they will be out in huge forces to see Floyd fight. As for PPV this is questionable if he still has those fans in this time who will drop the cash to see him fight. Then again put a good fight before them with a couple of names and I think it will easily sell around your mark.

As for the fight it has now been pushed to mid September =/

We know bro! Where ya been!? :laugh:

rockdawg21
06-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Yeah, it's still a good fight in terms of rankings, but IMO, not excitement. And yes, I don't know that for sure, but watching at least a dozen of each fighters' fights respectively, I doubt it's going to change. And yes, I agree, the "majority" are not true fans of the sport, but they are the biggest purchasers of the sport.

C'mon JB, it's not the first time somebody has had to rethink the promotion because of lackluster ticket sales. Maybe I'm just speculating, but we'll see when the PPV numbers come out. The definitive proof for me came from that post on Pac's forum. He predicted a "fake injury" from his "inside source" due to lackluster ticket sales 1-2 weeks BEFORE Floyd's injury. Maybe he's just Miss Cleo, but that says a lot in my mind.

Yeah, I don't think JMM is a huge draw here or in Mexico. A lot of the reason being that he's a counter-puncher and most of the Mexican fighters are notoriously aggressive fighters.

Yes I know he was one of the highest earners in 2007, but that was in thanks to the buys for De La Hoya and Hatton. They were the draw even to the American fans, mostly because they wanted to see Floyd lose. You can say I'm speculating all you want about Floyd's popularity. He's popular, but not in the sense that anybody gives a crap about watching him box. You'll see the proof when the crappy PPV buys come through for his next fight. :laugh:

Meh, I don't like the heavyweight boxers that much. I've always been more of a fan of the little guys because of all the action involved. More punches, more movement, IMO is more excitement. Did you know before Brock came to the UFC, the majority of the largest PPV buys came from events that had lightweights as the main bout? Even the MMA fans enjoy the lightweights more :)

logrus
06-27-2009, 06:38 PM
We know bro! Where ya been!? :laugh:

I know we know. I was just giving my "ehhh" feeling to it being pushed back til Sept,

Stop being mean.... :huh:

J.B.
06-27-2009, 06:46 PM
The dude is not Miss Cleo, as I said those kind of things HAVE happened in fights before.

You are missing the bigger point. If the numbers were THAT bad, they would just pull out of the fight. It makes NO SENSE for Floyd to delay the fight any longer than he has to. He wants to fight the biggest fights against the best fighters, for the best paydays, and he could have any fight he wants at this point. However, he also knows that JMM is a lesser challenge than coming right back into the sport against Manny, or the much bigger Cotto or Mosley.

See, no matter what somebody says about Floyd, the hater in you takes over. It's like trying to talk to a die hard cubs or sox fan about the other team during this weekend's crosstown classic. People are just going to blindly hate the other side no matter what.

It takes two to tango, and Oscar and Ricky needed Floyd to make those fights. ESPECIALLY Ricky Hatton. Just because you put 20,000 Brits in a stadium chanting like fools don't mean your going to be remembered as one of the greats. Oscar, yeah, he is a cash cow, and to be honest, it makes me sick. I used to respect Oscar a lot, but there is just too many things that have made me start seeing him differently. You could almost say I am an Oscar hater. You also don't say anything about the fact that Floyd made a bunch of money in other things outside of Boxing.

If you don't think JMM WAS a draw in Mexico, you have not been paying attention. He is one of their premier fighters, and still is. However, I just think the luster is going away. It may be because he is on his way out of the sport. It may be because he never OFFICIALLY beat Pac. It may be because Oscar retired and less people are watching the sport in Mexico. When Jordan retired, the NBA's numbers dropped too. I can't even believe I just had to compare Jordan and Oscar....:wacko:

J.B.
06-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I know we know. I was just giving my "ehhh" feeling to it being pushed back til Sept,

Stop being mean.... :huh:

I was just messing with ya dude!

It's crosstown classic time again this weekend. I can't be mean to a Sox fan! :)

logrus
06-27-2009, 06:49 PM
I was just messing with ya dude!

It's crosstown classic time again this weekend. I can't be mean to a Sox fan! :)

http://i670.photobucket.com/albums/vv68/LOKA17_PHOTOS/cubs-5chicago7306734.gif

logrus
06-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Well I will fix that for ya, I promise no subliminal messaging or hypnosis

rockdawg21
06-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Bleh, you'll see in September, and don't worry, you'll get over comparing Jordan and Oscar. :)

J.B.
06-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Bleh, you'll see in September, and don't worry, you'll get over comparing Jordan and Oscar. :)

I tell you what, when the Floyd and Manny fight happens, I will sig bet you.

But I'm not gonna bet over something like "how well a fight will do". It's not fair to either of us considering the numbers have been being fixed for years, and they say it happens in MMA too, I happen to believe that.

and yes, I went out, ran some errands, and now I am over it, :laugh:

J.B.
06-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Well I will fix that for ya, I promise no subliminal messaging or hypnosis

You hurt my eyes with that....seriously, I feel dizzy :laugh:

logrus
06-28-2009, 12:28 AM
You hurt my eyes with that....seriously, I feel dizzy :laugh:

Yes, but are you a Cubs fan now??

rockdawg21
06-28-2009, 06:51 AM
I tell you what, when the Floyd and Manny fight happens, I will sig bet you.

But I'm not gonna bet over something like "how well a fight will do". It's not fair to either of us considering the numbers have been being fixed for years, and they say it happens in MMA too, I happen to believe that.

and yes, I went out, ran some errands, and now I am over it, :laugh:
Agreed. Turns out, Floyd also made another blunder, his fight with Marquez is on the same night as UFC 103. Floyd is supposed to be this great businessman, or so he talks, he should have known better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Dana-White-interview-UFC-isn-t-worried-about-Ma?urn=mma,173243

J.B.
06-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Agreed. Turns out, Floyd also made another blunder, his fight with Marquez is on the same night as UFC 103. Floyd is supposed to be this great businessman, or so he talks, he should have known better.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Dana-White-interview-UFC-isn-t-worried-about-Ma?urn=mma,173243

Why does everything have to be Floyd's fault? :huh:

rockdawg21
06-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Why does everything have to be Floyd's fault? :huh:
According to Dana:

"The powers that be wanted to steer him off that date. But he wanted that date, so it's on!"

Had he said the promoters wanted it on that date, I would have said the promoters are making a mistake :)

J.B.
06-28-2009, 11:17 PM
According to Dana:

"The powers that be wanted to steer him off that date. But he wanted that date, so it's on!"

Had he said the promoters wanted it on that date, I would have said the promoters are making a mistake :)

So how is it Floyd's fault? :laugh:

rockdawg21
06-28-2009, 11:37 PM
So how is it Floyd's fault? :laugh:
Because it was Floyd who insisted on the date, not the "powers that be." Or, was Floyd part of the "powers that be?" I'm confused :frantics:

J.B.
06-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Well, yes, in fact Floyd is part of the powers that be, so it's partially his call.

But GBP is part of this too, so they had a say as well.

rearnakedchoke
06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
Actually, I posted this for you and Melissa. I'm not going to buy it. If anything, I'll see the result and if it goes down to a decision, which is my prediction, I won't even bother watching the fight. If it ends in a KO/TKO, I'll probably download it. As for watching it live, not worth $50 to watch 2 non-aggressive guys fight each other.
saying that about this fight is crazy ... are you even really a boxing fan or just like pacquiao cuz your wife is filipino and you have no choice?? LOL ... seriously, you have been watching too much mma if you are only gonna watch the fight if it is a stoppage ... are you the "Just Bleed" UFC fan?

logrus
06-29-2009, 12:24 AM
Because it was Floyd who insisted on the date, not the "powers that be." Or, was Floyd part of the "powers that be?" I'm confused :frantics:

You do know nobody is going to take you serious with a sig like that. :tongue0011:

rockdawg21
06-29-2009, 02:49 AM
saying that about this fight is crazy ... are you even really a boxing fan or just like pacquiao cuz your wife is filipino and you have no choice?? LOL ... seriously, you have been watching too much mma if you are only gonna watch the fight if it is a stoppage ... are you the "Just Bleed" UFC fan?
RNC, just go back and read my previous posts, everything you're questioning is there.

Actually, my wife isn't even a fan of Pacquiao, she's tired of hearing about him all the time and seeing him on tv. Furthermore, I was watching Pac years before I met my wife, so there! :tongue0011:

rockdawg21
06-29-2009, 02:50 AM
You do know nobody is going to take you serious with a sig like that. :tongue0011:
So, you're racist against hispanics huh? :thumbsdown:

J.B.
06-29-2009, 10:09 AM

You know what would be awesome?

If Pretty Boy Floyd put on 4oz gloves and knocked some manners into your dumb ass, mother ****er..:angry:

rearnakedchoke
06-29-2009, 03:11 PM
You know what would be awesome?

If Pretty Boy Floyd put on 4oz gloves and knocked some manners into your dumb ass, mother ****er..:angry:
did it take you all nite to come up with that?

J.B.
06-30-2009, 01:09 AM
did it take you all nite to come up with that?

Nope, that was the first thing that crossed my mind when I read that drivel you posted.

That was uncalled for.

rockdawg21
07-04-2009, 12:23 AM
Thought some peeps might be interested in knowing who hurt Mayweather's rib.

Ok, so maybe he didn't fake it. :laugh:

http://onthegrindboxing.com/2009/06/26/gorman-mayweather/
Little known Irish Amateur Boxer, Robert Gorman is Responsible for the Biggest Boxing Match in the World This Year Being Postponed…Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs Juan Manuel Marquez

By Jonny Stapleton

Little known Irish Amateur Boxer, Robert Gorman is responsible for the biggest boxing match in the world this year being postponed.

The return of former pound for pound ring king, Floyd Mayweather, who retired with an unblemished 39 fight record after defeating Ricky Hatton in December 2007, was boxings most eagerly anticipated event.

However, the much lauded contest with Juan Manuel Marquez had to be postponed after ‘Pretty Boy’ picked up a rib injury.

It appears Robert Gorman a big body punching Irish amateur inflicted that injury and was the catalyst behind Mayweather’s decision to pull out of the multi million dollar fight.

While the Irish Amateur High Performance Team were preparing for the EU Championships, fellow amateur Gorman was in the infamous Top Rank gym sparing with former World Amatuer Champion and Olympic Gold Medalist, Yuriokis Gamboa.

So impressive was the Irish puncher, who most claim was robbed of victory in this years nationals, and subsequently a place on the High Performance team, that he was personally asked by Mayweather’s camp to spar with pro boxing biggest name in a bid to ready him for Marquez.

But rather than prepare Mayweather for the multi million dollar clash the Ballbrigan native put paid to the fight.

“I was chosen to fight Mayweather because I have a similar style to Marquez. Now after going toe to toe with the greatest boxer in the world I would take on anyone. I have learnt so much and I am not afraid of any fighter. It was a pity my time got cut short due to the Mayweather’s injury,” The 25 year old explained.

“I won’t admit to injuring him, but I won’t say I didn’t injure him. What I will say is that I am a big body puncher. I bang in body shots. Plus I spared four six minute rounds with him and after the session with me he still hasn’t got back into the ring. I was the last man he sparred. I had to wait for a week to see if was ready to spar again but was then told the fight was called off. You can draw your own conclusions.”

Accolades have been pouring in for the unknown Irish puncher since his exchanges with some of American boxing biggest names and so have the offers. Gorman, has been courted by some of the games big names. However the determined pugilist who would give Rocky Balboa a run on the heart and fight stakes has a point to prove at amateur level and will remain unpaid until at least 2012.

“I am all set to qualify for the Amateur World Championships. What better way is there to prepare than facing the best boxer in the world. I will book my seat on the plane to the Worlds in July. Then I will go and win them and bring back gold for Ireland. I am very confident and after being in with Mayweather and Gamboa. I know I can face anybody.

“I will consider going Pro but only after I achieve everything at amateur level first. I will be a gold medalist in the Olympics in 2012 too. I am not trying to sound cocky but I am confident and I have to believe in myself. I beat the current world amateur champion at my weight in the O2 on the under card of Bernard Dunne’s big fight and in the National Championships, but was robbed twice. The president of the IABA said the judges beat me not any fighter in Nationals. Now I am going to ensure its impossible for anything like that to happen again,” the qualified fitness instructor concluded.

rockdawg21
07-04-2009, 07:06 AM
JB, yeah, I'm pointing you out, lol. When rumor becomes fact :laugh:

I know, I was wrong on his rib injury :sad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4304657
Records: Mayweather owes IRS $6M

Associated Press

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. has said rumblings about his financial troubles are nothing more than rumors, but public records obtained by The Associated Press show the boxer nicknamed "Money" owes about $6.4 million to the Internal Revenue Service and others.

The IRS hit the former pound-for-pound boxing king with a lien in October for $6.17 million in unpaid taxes from 2007, according to the Clark County Recorder in Las Vegas. A New Jersey Superior Court judgment from the same year shows he owes $193,000 in state taxes there.

Leonard Ellerbe, Mayweather's manager, disputed the documents and said he believed they were inaccurate.

"Floyd Mayweather does not have a problem with the IRS," Ellerbe told the AP on Thursday. "He doesn't owe the IRS $6.1 million ... I don't (care) what a lien says."

"When you have a problem with them, you ain't hard to find -- ask Wesley Snipes," Ellerbe said. "You go to jail, they come take your (stuff). He doesn't have a problem."

Snipes, the actor, is currently appealing convictions of willfully failing to file his income taxes and his three-year prison sentence.

"[Mayweather] is free to move and do anything and everything he wants to do with no problems at all. None whatsoever," Ellerbe said.

Besides taxes, county records in Las Vegas show the former five-division champ has unresolved debts worth $9,400 to three homeowners associations. Other liens filed with the county say the boxer did not pay nearly $3,900 to a contractor that programmed electronics at one of his homes and $320.10 to his trash collector.

Mayweather, who is returning to the ring after retiring a year ago, has said his scheduled September fight against Juan Manuel Marquez isn't all about a big payday, but a lucrative purse couldn't hurt in his ongoing battle to keep up on his bills.

The IRS and others use liens to secure payments by placing a claim on the property of individuals who owe them money. Liens damage a person's credit rating and remain on credit reports longer than other negative information, such as late payments. Once unpaid taxes are satisfied, the IRS files lien releases saying so with the county recorder.

Raphael Tulino, an IRS spokesman, said Thursday that the agency does not comment specifically on individual tax situations. The IRS said in the October lien itself that it has demanded payment, but the 2007 taxes remained unpaid.

A clerk in New Jersey Superior Court said Thursday that the $193,000 judgment there had not been satisfied.

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs) has been socked with liens in the past and paid them off, according to recorder records in Clark County. The IRS filed liens totaling nearly $6.3 million for unpaid taxes from 2001, 2003, 2005 and 2006, and three homeowners associations also filed claims against the boxer that were later resolved, county records show.

Asked about the liens that had been resolved, Ellerbe said: "We're talking about what's going on right now. I'm sure you might have been two days late paying your rent two, five years ago."

The former Olympic bronze medalist made more than $50 million inside the ring during his final 18 months of boxing before he abruptly retired last year and turned his attention to show business.

Mayweather has proved to be a bankable celebrity outside the ring.

He has appeared on ABC's "Dancing With the Stars" in 2007 and is featured in a current AT&T television commercial. He has said that he made $8 million last year without fighting.

He also cashed in his "Pretty Boy" nickname for "Money."

"America is built on two things -- controversy and money," Mayweather told HBO before he defeated Oscar De La Hoya in May 2007. "It's not a black thing, it's not a white thing, it's a green thing."

The cable network documented both fighters leading up to their match for its "24/7" reality series. The same episode showed Mayweather hand-counting $10,000 stacks of $100 bills and bragging about winning $34,000 after betting on an NBA basketball game.

"I ain't gotta carry no black card, I like carrying mine in cash -- get the job done better," Mayweather said, cracking a grin.

Mayweather received a reported $20 million to wrestle on WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" in 2008, part of his efforts to increase his entertainment profile. At a promotional event for that appearance in Los Angeles, Mayweather incited a couple hundred fans by whipping out a money roll and repeatedly tossing $100, $50 and $20 bills into the crowd.

The boxer likes to be seen with a wad of cash, large entourages and expensive jewelry.

"You see me -- 250 on the wrist, $300,000 on the pinky, $600,000 on the neck," Mayweather said on another "24/7" episode filmed before his fight with Ricky Hatton in December 2007.

YouTube videos show Mayweather tossing $100 bills into crowds at night clubs -- known as "making it rain" for the way the bills look when they fall.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal labeled him the "reigning king of flash and cash" in 2007 for regularly showering patrons and his entourage with cash and expensive Cristal champagne. The newspaper said that Mayweather and his entourage travel in a three-car fleet made up of a Rolls Royce Phantom, a Maybach and a Mercedes McLaren SLR.

"I've seen him make it rain at least 20 times in the last couple years," Branden Powers of Poetry nightclub told the newspaper. "Pound for pound, he's the best tipper."

Ellerbe said Mayweather's comments about money were made just to promote fights.

"Him saying he got a bunch of money, that's an image, that's an image. It has nothing to do with his business," Ellerbe said. "And he can say anything he wants to, but I'm giving you what the facts are. And the facts are Floyd Mayweather does not have a problem with the IRS, or anybody else, for that matter."

Mayweather's comeback fight, delayed until Sept. 19 after Mayweather damaged rib cartilage while training, had been scheduled for July 18 at the MGM Grand hotel-casino in Las Vegas.

Mayweather and Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs) are expected to fight at a catch-weight of about 143 pounds, eight more than Marquez has ever fought and the lightest Mayweather has been since 2005.

J.B.
07-04-2009, 10:46 AM
JB, yeah, I'm pointing you out, lol. When rumor becomes fact :laugh:

I know, I was wrong on his rib injury :sad:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4304657

I admire that you are willing to say you are wrong about his injury. That is cool. BUT, I said from the beginning that the fake injury theory could be real. It's a SAD part of the sport. Just like PBF taking JMM as a return fight is part of the sport, regardless of the slight weight difference.

Honestly, if this is an another attempt to say that "Floyd is broke", I just have to laugh at you. This is tabloid crap. Really, SERIOUSLY, your report tried to reference $9,400 in HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION FEES!!!! Anybody who has ever owned a house in a decent "caddyshack" esque neighborhood can tell you the association fees are ridiculous. That fee is probably for ONE year on a house of PBF's stature, and saying he is BROKE because that payment is late, or not paid, is just silly.

Rock... you KNOW how ****ed up our government is, why do you use it as a way to attack a TRUE capitalist? A guy who actually really FIGHTS for his money, but is ripping NOBODY off.... I love you on every issue but this....

Though, I do understand NOT being a Mayweather fan, you should not ignore his positives, or his talents in the process.

rockdawg21
07-04-2009, 02:16 PM
I'll be honest, it was late and I was partying when I found the article so I didn't read all of it. However, I saw it was from ESPN and the Associated Press, which you said if it comes from them, it must be true, so I decided to post it. :laugh:

My HOA fees are $500 a year, but I also don't own a mansion. I don't know how true that is, but his house is at least that much higher in amount that the ratio between 500 and 9400 might be correct. I did see his episode of MTV Cribs. :wink:

Yes, I agree, he earns an honest wage and isn't exactly ripping anybody off. I just don't have any appreciation for a guy who comes back for boxing and on ESPN, says it's all about money. It doesn't mean he's broke, but if he isn't broke, why doesn't he just pay the 6 million to the IRS and have it overwith? Also, I'm a hater of his attitude, so I'll hate on him all I want. :angry:

rockdawg21
09-17-2009, 09:12 PM
So, Mayweather doesn't have any IRS problems? Keith Kizer confirmed it today (last 2 paragraphs). Guess people haven't been calling him "Fraud" Mayweather Jr. for nothing. :laugh:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2009-09-16-mayweather-marquez_N.htm?csp=34
Flamboyant Mayweather takes humble approach with Marquez

By J. Michael Falgoust, USA TODAY

LAS VEGAS — In the midst of the cameras, microphones and questions, Floyd Mayweather Jr. pauses to take inventory of what's ahead.

Saturday's showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez at MGM Grand is important (HBO PPV, 9 p.m. ET), as is the TV interview he's booked to do next, but neither comes before his 9-year-old daughter, Iyanna.

"I've got to pick up my daughter from school," he says, pausing to alert his publicist, who offers to find his mother to do it. "Don't worry about my Mom I'm picking my daughter up today. She's been going to school for a while and I haven't picked her up yet."

This is the fighter, and the man, Mayweather wants to project: A thoughtful, considerate, responsible 32-year-old father of four, dressed down in a white T-shirt, sneakers and camoflauge pants. Not the cursing, trash-talking multi-division champion, flaunting the cost of his home, designer boots or visits to strip clubs.

"(Marquez) respects my fight game. He told me that a long time ago," says Mayweather of the low-key final press conference Wednesday, where he rose to shake hands with Marquez's trainer as the pair showered one another with compliments. "It's just a lot of fighters in the past I talk trash to have really disrespected me. … So I say bad things."

Mayweather (39-0, 25 KOs), regarded as the mythical No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter before leaving in 2007, has passed every test with flying colors.

He's solved master boxers like Genaro Henandez (KO 8), brawlers like Ricky Hatton (KO 10), tall, two-fisted punchers like Diego Corrales, southpaws like Zab Judah (W 12), crafty veterans like Emanuel Augustus (KO 9) and superstars like Oscar De La Hoya (W 12).

In Marquez (50-4-1, 37 KOs) he'll meet not only the best Mexico has to offer, but one of the sport's top three fighters pound-for-pound who is as skilled with both hands as he is gritty.

Mayweather's biggest challenge of the night, however, may be this: Can he carry a major PPV show without a major foil?

Marquez has only headlined a PPV card once, a 2008 decision loss to Manny Pacquiao that drew 405,000 buys.

Before Mayweather fought De La Hoya— the greatest draw in PPV history — Mayweather hadn't exceeded 375,000 buys.

There's also the perception that this is a fight between a great little man (Marquez has never fought above 135 pounds) and a great bigger man (Mayweather has gone as high as 154). It's being billed as a welterweight bout though it'll be below the 147-pound limit. Marquez also is four years older.

"I feel like I always was a pay-per-view star," says Mayweather, whose win vs. De La Hoya drew a record 2.4 million buys and almost 1 million with Hatton. "Marquez has a good following with his Mexican people. He's going to have a lot of support."

This bout was originally announced for July 18 but pushed back to Mexican Independence weekend. Since then the push to grow this into a superfight by co-promoter Golden Boy Promotions has been substantial:

•In conjunction with NCM Fathom, the card will be shown via closed circuit in 170 theaters nationwide, with $12.50 to $15 suggested ticket prices.

•Three major sponsors are on board that weren't for De La Hoya-Mayweather: Quaker State, Affliction clothing and AT&T's first venture into boxing.

•Tecate is offering a $25 mail-in rebate on the $49.95 show for viewers, with purchase of an 18-pack or larger, and a $30 rebate for food purchases at participating stores nationwide.

•An aggressive campaign through social networking sites and in the urban dotcom markets, BET.com, JayZtv.com and Allhiphop.com, among others, to reach out to Mayweather fans.

HBO is in on it, too, using this fight as a launching pad for its new approach to saturating the marketplace with digital content.

It's all part of "the hunger to go younger," says Mark Taffet, senior vice president at HBO PPV. "If you overwhelm that younger demographic with advertising, they tune you out. They want content. ... We're moving in a completely different direction than what we were doing a year ago."

Money matters:

Marquez's base salary is $2 million for the bout. TV undercard combatants Chris John will get $50,000; Rocky Juarez $80,000; Michael Katsidis $125,000; and Vicente Escobedo $90,000.

Mayweather's purse won't be known until Friday because of deductions, says Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission. The IRS is expected to attend to collect back taxes. According to Kizer, the agreed upon total is "unofficially $5 million."