PDA

View Full Version : Looking for general opinions...

J.B.
05-19-2009, 06:27 AM
On a song I recently recorded, be it positive or negative.

It's a rock song, and I won't bother trying to classify it any deeper than that. A publisher we have worked with in the past contacted us about potentially using the song for an upcoming project, and I am just looking for some outside opinions.

The song is titled "Pay Attention, with Cash" , like my sig :wink:

You can listen to and download it from our website right here (http://highunderground.com/pay_attention_with_cash.mp3)

Pretty please and thank you :)

Llamafighter
05-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Hey JB,
thanks for sharing that. I think it's a really good song. I especially like the way it kicks into the "Nah nah nah" section. I kind of feel that the vocals are too present and agressive in the verses. I think if you pull those a little softer it will make that jump into the bridge and chorus that much stronger. I know the lyrics are obviously angry in the verse but if the tone in your voice was pulled back a bit it might make the contrast that much better. I guess if you think of those lyrics at the beginning as the guy singing almost under his breath or more internally.
my two cents. musically it's a really fun song with a good hook. keep sharing these!

Miss Foxy
05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Thanks for sharing since I am at work nothing works on this computer so when I get home I will check it out and give you honest feedback as always! Can't wait to hear it!:happydancing:

J.B.
05-19-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks guys, and thanks to the people who PM'd me. I appreciate the feedback! :)

J.B.
06-04-2009, 06:05 AM
Okay, I am going to share another song.... but a word of warning, this song is not as "happy-go-lucky" as the last. There are not any dirty words, it's just a pretty heavy song compared to the other stuff. I also should point out, that I am doing everything on these songs, guitar, bass, vocals, and programmed drums.

This song is just a demo and I only recorded it last week, so I really have no idea what a lot of people think of it. It's called "New World Order", and yes it does have a bit of a political edge to it, but I am not looking for debate! :laugh:

http://highunderground.com/new_world_order.mp3

Thanks to all who listen! :)

P.S. - Llama, sometimes it takes my ears a couple weeks to adjust to a song after countless hours of tracking and hearing it OVER AND OVER, but after that time passes I usually have a renewed and clearer view on the mix, and I just wanted to say that you were RIGHT ON, the verses needed to be toned down in the mix, and I have adjusted it since then. Thanks again! :wink:

MattHughesRocks
06-04-2009, 04:25 PM
:headbanger:

Cool! :cool:

MattHughesRocks
06-04-2009, 04:28 PM
Damn! I listened to the whole thing now and brother you got talent! AWESOME guitar!:w00t:

Llamafighter
06-04-2009, 05:13 PM
Okay, I am going to share another song.... but a word of warning, this song is not as "happy-go-lucky" as the last. There are not any dirty words, it's just a pretty heavy song compared to the other stuff. I also should point out, that I am doing everything on these songs, guitar, bass, vocals, and programmed drums.

This song is just a demo and I only recorded it last week, so I really have no idea what a lot of people think of it. It's called "New World Order", and yes it does have a bit of a political edge to it, but I am not looking for debate! :laugh:

P.S. - Llama, sometimes it takes my ears a couple weeks to adjust to a song after countless hours of tracking and hearing it OVER AND OVER, but after that time passes I usually have a renewed and clearer view on the mix, and I just wanted to say that you were RIGHT ON, the verses needed to be toned down in the mix, and I have adjusted it since then. Thanks again! :wink:
I totally understand what you mean about that. If you lay down another recording od it I'd love to hear it, brother!

Llamafighter
06-04-2009, 05:18 PM

I love it man! :w00t:
great job!

J.B.
06-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Thanks guys! Again, I truly appreciate your responses! :)

J.B.
06-24-2009, 09:16 PM
Okay, so I am feeling frisky today... more shameless self-promotion is in order....:laugh:

Oh, and sort of an update on the first post.

One of our songs might be featured in a new show being put together by MTV's Jackass crew. I don't know the details of the show, or the publishers contract just yet, and it would be unprofessional of me to say which song it is at this point. However I will say it is NOT the first song I posted (which was a bit surprising to me but who's complaining :Whistle: ) When solid details are known, I will give you guys the juicy gossip...lol

I am posting two songs this time....

The first one is a tune that I originally wrote as an acoustic song, called "Better Than This". It was a pretty basic and dumbed down 3 chord song lacking direction until me and my writing partner/ band-mate/ ultimate guitar mentor and guru helped me find my way on this one. It's actually the first time I have wrote a song and had somebody else singing on one of the verses. We treated it like a duet and I think it turned out nicely. Obviously the mix is still in the demo stage, but I hope somebody enjoys it.

"Better Than This"
http://highunderground.com/betterThanthis.mp3

The second song is called "Stand Up", it's more upbeat and heavy. and I literally wrote this entire song and recorded it this morning. No Obama....:wink:

Mix is still rough, but hey, screw it! :)

"Stand Up"
http://highunderground.com/stand_up.mp3