PDA

View Full Version : Sean Sherk vs Frankie Edgar For UFC 98

Country Breakfast
01-21-2009, 11:23 PM
Former lightweight champion Sean Sherk (33-3) will attempt to get one step closer to reclaiming his 155-pound title when he collides with top division contender Frank Edgar (9-1) at UFC 98 from the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, on May 23.

MMAmania.com has learned from a source close to the Sherk camp that the bout has been agreed upon and will be a featured fight of the evening.

Sherk failed to reclaim his title against BJ Penn at UFC 84: “Ill Will” back in May 2008. It was his first fight since being stripped of the title and suspended for six months because of a positive test for steroids that he refuted vigorously.

At the ripe old age of 35, the “Muscle Shark” rebounded with unanimous decision win over Tyson Griffin at UFC 90: “Silva vs. Cote,” demonstrating much improved striking skills. Primarily known for his overwhelming wrestling attack, Sherk’s most recent multidimensional approach earned him and Griffin the “Fight of the Night.”

He won the vacant title back in 2006, outpointing Kenny Florian on all three judges scorecards in a blood-soaked five-round bout. His loss to Penn -– the first since 2005 -– snapped a three fight win streak.

Edgar recently sustained a knee injury, which forced him out of a high profile fight against Matt Wiman at UFC Fight Night 16: “Fight for the Troops” on December 10. He was replaced by Jim Miller — a surging prospect who Edgar defeated earlier in his career — on short notice.

Prior to being scratched from that fight, “The Answer” rebounded from the first professional loss of his career to Gray Maynard (unanimous decision) at UFC Fight Night 13 to outpoint former number one contender Hermes Franca on all three judges scorecards at UFC Fight Night 14: “Silva vs. Irvin” in July 2008.

The latter bout also earned “Fight of the Night” honors, making a showdown with Sherk — who is also a wrestler turned mixed martial artist — a possible up-and-down, back-and-forth action-packed battle.

Edgar recently earned a purple belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu while training at Ricardo Almeida Jiu-Jitsu in Hamilton, N.J., under Ricardo Almeida — the star pupil of Renzo Gracie. He is a decorated high school (Toms River High School East) and collegiate (Clarion University) wrestler out of Toms River, N.J., who also moonlights as an assistant wrestling coach at Rutgers University.

Jim Miller, Tyson Griffin, Mark Bocek and Spencer Fisher are just a few of the notable opponents who Edgar has handled, which has helped him rise to the top of the very crowded UFC 155-pound division in short order.

If he can add Sherk to that hit list it would be that much more impressive.

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 01:06 AM
This sounds like it'll be a great technical match. Can't wait!

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:11 AM
Sherk will kill him.

jignpig
01-22-2009, 01:23 AM
Sherk will kill him.
i agree 100%

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 01:27 AM
I think he'll win handily, but I think it'll be a great 3 rounder.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Sherk via roiding again....hahaha, j/k

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 02:33 AM
Sherk will kill him.

Dang.. I hate it when I agree with you.

Sherk will have his hands full.. but once the second round hits... it's done.

Max
01-22-2009, 02:40 AM

so your prediction is once the 2nd round hits thats when the L&P starts???

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 03:00 AM
so your prediction is once the 2nd round hits thats when the L&P starts???

if it's just LnP... then it should be nothing for a skilled fighter to get out of..minimal Jitz can beat LnP.

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 03:08 AM

just for this one...not the BJ and Fedor matches.

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 03:12 AM
just for this one...not the BJ and Fedor matches.

nah.. your eating my sig on that one...:rolleyes:

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 03:16 AM
which one, Fedor's? LMAO, yeah, ok.

Max
01-22-2009, 03:24 AM
if it's just LnP... then it should be nothing for a skilled fighter to get out of..minimal Jitz can beat LnP.
not when the guys has a 3rd deg Black Belt in L&P. Next to Arona, Sherk has some of the best L&P in the business.

Jason 16
01-22-2009, 03:30 AM
not when the guys has a 3rd deg Black Belt in L&P. Next to Arona, Sherk has some of the best L&P in the business.

lol I thought the world has forgotten arona. he did have some good fights though

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 03:34 AM

Well.. if LnP is taking your opponent down.. keeping them from getting up and throwing elbows, punches, making it hard to breath..

it's also basic jitz... If I am on top, I can relax... my hands are interrupting your breathing, pressure on the inside of the biceps, in the upper abs.. inside of the hips.. legs always moving.. locking up a leg even if I am in someones gaurd, I am moving my feet..

The guy on the bottom has to work...have a 160 pound guy lay on your chest.. "superman" it.. the person on the bottom can't breath well.. that gasses you..

LnP.. is a skill. works for me.. if you have skills.. you can beat it. but you have to work it..

Hughes_GOAT
01-22-2009, 03:37 AM
i only call it L n P if the guy on top isn't passing guard, isn't doing any real damage with strikes (elbows, punches, arm and shoulder sub attempts). in fact, they should take any points away from the guy on the takedown if he does nothing with it, especially if he's stood up.

chum567
01-22-2009, 03:48 AM
sherk ftw

Spiritwalker
01-22-2009, 04:02 AM
i only call it L n P if the guy on top isn't passing guard, isn't doing any real damage with strikes (elbows, punches, arm and shoulder sub attempts). in fact, they should take any points away from the guy on the takedown if he does nothing with it, especially if he's stood up.

there you go again.. being so damned agreeable...

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 04:36 AM
I completely agree. What I hate is hearing refs say that a fighter needs to "improve position", which is not what the rules state. The rules say you must always be working to end the fight. If I'm stuck in your guard, defending submissions and throwing punches, then I'm working. I may not be advancing or "improving", but I am working, so back off me.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 06:44 PM
:) WAR Sherk:cool:

rearnakedchoke
01-22-2009, 06:48 PM
I completely agree. What I hate is hearing refs say that a fighter needs to "improve position", which is not what the rules state. The rules say you must always be working to end the fight. If I'm stuck in your guard, defending submissions and throwing punches, then I'm working. I may not be advancing or "improving", but I am working, so back off me.

I think the ref is saying improve your position to the top guy, or else they will stand up .. at least in the UFC .. or maybe that is what you were getting at and i just read wrong ... in pride if there was no action, you get warned and yellow cards and stuff ... but passing a guard insn't easy .. some people can do damage from guard (not many) and half guard .. i also think the refs are swayed by the corners and crowd, they hear boos or the corner saying stand it up and they stand it up ...

KevinD
01-22-2009, 07:01 PM
I hope Sherk will look good in this fight. I want him to rematch BJ someday.

Max
01-22-2009, 07:06 PM
you may be working but you are not working to end the fight. YOu just said the guy is defending submissions and throwing punches but if those punches are not thrown with the intent to end the fight why allow them to stay on the ground. It would be one thing if the judges would realize that when someone pulls guard they are not losing the fight. I would have no problem if they rewarded a fighter who is on his back for trying to finish the fight but this is never the case. The judges always think the fighter on top is winning and that is not always true.

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 07:11 PM
I hope Sherk will look good in this fight. I want him to rematch BJ someday.
me aswell. They should never have taken Seans gold away from him :sad: I'm glad that Armando Garcia has slid out the backdoor :angry:

KevinD
01-22-2009, 07:41 PM
Yes I was glad to see him leave. Some of those comission guys are pretty sleazy.

me aswell. They should never have taken Seans gold away from him :sad: I'm glad that Armando Garcia has slid out the backdoor :angry:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes I was glad to see him leave. Some of those comission guys are pretty sleazy.
I think he was like the ringleader...but then I dont think I knew of many others on the CSAC...but he was a nasty piece of work. I think he kinda framed Sherk...or was the person to try and cover the bungle that showed Sherks innocence after the blame had already been cast. :angry:

VCURamFan
01-22-2009, 10:16 PM
you may be working but you are not working to end the fight. YOu just said the guy is defending submissions and throwing punches but if those punches are not thrown with the intent to end the fight why allow them to stay on the ground. It would be one thing if the judges would realize that when someone pulls guard they are not losing the fight. I would have no problem if they rewarded a fighter who is on his back for trying to finish the fight but this is never the case. The judges always think the fighter on top is winning and that is not always true.It really comes down to education. If the judge understand that a guy on his back can be controlling & winning the fight, then it'd be fine. If the stupid beer guzzling masses understood anything about grappling, it'd be fine. If the ref could have a backbone & ignore outside influences, it'd be fine. How long are we gonna have to wait before this all happen?:cry:

Tyburn
01-22-2009, 11:02 PM
It really comes down to education. If the judge understand that a guy on his back can be controlling & winning the fight, then it'd be fine. If the stupid beer guzzling masses understood anything about grappling, it'd be fine. If the ref could have a backbone & ignore outside influences, it'd be fine. How long are we gonna have to wait before this all happen?:cry:
probably longer then we have to wait for the Judges to be able to penalize the fighters for low blows and illegal moves on the grounds of fighter saftey without direct commands from Refs :rolleyes:

VCURamFan
01-23-2009, 04:42 AM
probably longer then we have to wait for the Judges to be able to penalize the fighters for low blows and illegal moves on the grounds of fighter saftey without direct commands from Refs :rolleyes:Yeah, heaven forbid that there be a qualification process judges have to go through.:rolleyes:

atomdanger
01-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Sherk = wayyy too big for Edgar to deal with.

Tyburn
01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Yeah, heaven forbid that there be a qualification process judges have to go through.:rolleyes:
:laugh:

They dont need Judges, just make Cecil Peoples the Ref..and the Judge :blink:

VCURamFan
01-24-2009, 06:55 AM
:laugh:

They dont need Judges, just make Cecil Peoples the Ref..and the Judge :blink:No, Mazagatti's less qualified, let him do it.

Tyburn
01-24-2009, 12:16 PM
No, Mazagatti's less qualified, let him do it.
Good Call...then we get to hear Bruce Buffer introduce him :laugh: He's the BEST...it wouldnt be the UFC without him:unsure-1: