PDA

View Full Version : Study: Stem Cells Reverse Paralysis in Rats

Black Mamba
01-29-2009, 11:51 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090129/sc_livescience/studystemcellsreverseparalysisinrats

It will be interesting to see this applied to humans. I am huge believer in stem cell research, and truth be told it drives me awol to hear people so against it. This research is saving lives, giving people back things that were taken away. If/when the time comes that my Mom goes blind, if it wasn't for her glaucoma, stem cells could reverse the effects of pigmentosis (a disease that ruins the rods of the eye that affects night vision and causes blindness). It's already taking people who are blind, and giving them back the gift of sight.

All I can really to say people who are against stem cells is wait until you're told something that will dramatically change your life.

Josh
01-30-2009, 02:53 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090129/sc_livescience/studystemcellsreverseparalysisinrats

It will be interesting to see this applied to humans. I am huge believer in stem cell research, and truth be told it drives me awol to hear people so against it. This research is saving lives, giving people back things that were taken away. If/when the time comes that my Mom goes blind, if it wasn't for her glaucoma, stem cells could reverse the effects of pigmentosis (a disease that ruins the rods of the eye that affects night vision and causes blindness). It's already taking people who are blind, and giving them back the gift of sight.

All I can really to say people who are against stem cells is wait until you're told something that will dramatically change your life.
Most people are not against stem cells. They are against harvesting stem cells from babies.

VCURamFan
01-30-2009, 03:28 AM
Most people are not against stem cells. They are against harvesting stem cells from babies.Agreed

NateR
01-30-2009, 04:51 AM
Most people are not against stem cells. They are against harvesting stem cells from babies.

Exactly, I'm against growing embryos for the sole purpose of killing them for their stem cells.

TexasRN
01-30-2009, 04:56 AM
If we collected the cord blood from every delivery of every infant we would have plenty of stem cells for research. 95% or higher is just thrown away in the trash.

~Amy

Hughes_GOAT
01-30-2009, 05:09 AM
If we collected the cord blood from every delivery of every infant we would have plenty of stem cells for research. 95% or higher is just thrown away in the trash.

~Amy

word

VCURamFan
01-30-2009, 05:37 AM

~AmyThanks. See, I don't know nearly as much about this subject as I need to, so I'm glad to hear a professional's opinion about this.

NateR
01-30-2009, 05:51 AM
They can also get stem cells from adults without harming them.

The problem is not stem cell research, the problem is certain groups of people trying to use the issue as a scientific endorsement of abortion. If they would just focus on collecting stem cells WITHOUT killing the donor, then there would be no controversy.

TexasRN
01-30-2009, 06:03 AM
There's also stem cells in human breast milk.

~Amy

VCURamFan
01-30-2009, 06:13 AM

~Amy:w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t::w00t:

Mike & I volunteer to help with collection!!!:frantics:

Llamafighter
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM

~Amy

God to know! I see great things happening with this research.

Moose
01-30-2009, 03:10 PM

~Amy

Gives breast milk that oakey, rich flavor. Mmmm reminds me of springtime in Bordeaux.

...so what? I'm a breast milk snob, get over it.

Bonnie
01-31-2009, 12:48 AM

~Amy

Shameful!!!

They just did a storyline involving "cord blood" in this show I watched last night, Eleventh Hour(?). Good show!