PDA

View Full Version : The thread for comic book geeks to talk about their funny books...

NateR
05-07-2009, 03:58 AM
We don't have a dedicated thread for comic book collectors so I thought I would start one. :)

NateR
05-07-2009, 04:06 AM
I'm an X-Men guy first and foremost. I've always liked the original team of Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Beast, Angel and Iceman the best; but I do also like the "Uncanny X-Men" team from the 70s.

Favorite Characters:
1. The Beast (Hank McCoy) - I like his human form the best, but I also like his blue & furry form. I really hate his current lion form, though.
2. Phoenix (Jean Grey) - I also like her as Marvel Girl
3. Hulk
4. Captain America
5. Ben Grimm, the Thing

Most recent comic book bought: X-Men First Class Finals #4 - in fact, this is the only current series that I collect now. Everything else that I buy is reprints of the classic 1960s and 1970s X-Men, Avengers, and Fantastic Four stories.

Greatest comic book story in the history of comics: The Dark Phoenix Saga

VCURamFan
05-07-2009, 04:20 AM
I'm not a collector, but I love the fact that America now has an on-going, still evolving mythology being developed through this medium. My top five would be:

1) Beast (blue form) - as a nerd I love the idea of a smart guy whose powers make him insanely athletic
2) Wolverine - Do I need to explain
3) Deadpool - I love his humor & pop culture references, not to mention he's the only character who consistently breaks the 4th wall
4) Ironman - Again, smart guy who's got money & an awesome suit. Plus Gwenyth Paltrow was hot as Pepper Potts & I wish she was my sexre - I mean - secretary.
5) Dr. Strange - I like magic. Sue me.

My favorite power has always been time manipulation, however. I think it all started in Middle School when I would have papers & exams due (kinda like now) andI would wish I could just stop/slow down time enough for me to be able to get some sleep & then finish studying. That's why my favorite Hero is Hiro Nakamroa (are we allow the TV Show Heroes into the discussion? I mean, they got graphic novels, too).

logrus
05-07-2009, 04:23 AM
I tried to name a top 5 but it was next to impossible. Then I tried to go back and see what I have winning in collections, but I have a lot of series from start to finish. All I have is 1 top dog.

Wolverine has always been my favorite, smallest dog in the fight 1 oppanent or 100 it didn't matter to him. He was gonna go until you were out or he was out. Used aznd abused by the system and left memory less always made for intriguing story archs. If you ask me by the way Wolverine Orgins was nicely written, but to be honest it was not fit for him.

Best Marvel Story Lines, Onslaught, Age of Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix Saga.

J.B.
05-07-2009, 04:30 AM
My Grandfather got me into comics when I was young. He would always take me to the comic book store right here in town and buy me new comics, and he would always buy one for himself to hold on to in case I ruined the other one :laugh:

I still have many of the comics, but they are at my moms house and I have not been through them in years.

I have a lot of Superman comics, including some very old ones. I have the entire Doomsday series, plus all the different collector versions of the issue when he died, and "Funeral for a Friend" series where all the other heroes from DC comics bury Superman. Then of course he came back and have that issue too, lol.

I have not been through the collection in years and my memory ain't the best but others that I have collected various issues of are

Spider-Man
Punisher
Ghost Rider
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Luke Cage

I have a bunch. Next time I am at my moms I will dig them out and bring them home. I got a bunch of old and rare novelty comics too.

NateR
05-07-2009, 04:34 AM
That's why my favorite Hero is Hiro Nakamroa (are we allow the TV Show Heroes into the discussion? I mean, they got graphic novels, too).

That's kind of touchy, I would think that comic book adaptions of TV shows, movies, classic novels, etc. would be in a different category. Because everything from Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter to The Care Bears have been adapted into comic book form.

I'm thinking this thread could focus primarily on original comic books stories within the superhero genre. But that's not set in stone.

VCURamFan
05-07-2009, 04:41 AM
That's kind of touchy, I would think that comic book adaptions of TV shows, movies, classic novels, etc. would be in a different category. Because everything from Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter to The Care Bears have been adapted into comic book form.

I'm thinking this thread could focus primarily on original comic books stories within the superhero genre. But that's not set in stone.Hey, you're the admin, it's your call!:laugh:

Just a point of clarification, though: the graphic novels are not adaptations of the show. They're entirely new content that tells stories barely even alluded to in the show. Like, a character in the show will make a comment that you would never realize was a reference unless you'd actually been reading the novels.

NateR
05-07-2009, 04:49 AM
I tried to name a top 5 but it was next to impossible. Then I tried to go back and see what I have winning in collections, but I have a lot of series from start to finish. All I have is 1 top dog.

Wolverine has always been my favorite, smallest dog in the fight 1 oppanent or 100 it didn't matter to him. He was gonna go until you were out or he was out. Used aznd abused by the system and left memory less always made for intriguing story archs. If you ask me by the way Wolverine Orgins was nicely written, but to be honest it was not fit for him.

Best Marvel Story Lines, Onslaught, Age of Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix Saga.

I always liked Wolverine, too, but I'm feeling that he's a little overexposed right now. The movie is pretty cool, but what irks me is that new "Wolverine and the X-Men" cartoon. I just don't like that everyone else is playing second fiddle to him. If he's that popular then just give him his own cartoon series (like they do with Batman) and let the X-Men have their own share of the spotlight.

Age of Apocalypse was about the time that I quit collecting, so I don't really remember that much of it. I've just recently started to get back into comics, but it's nearly impossible to catch up with all the stories now.

logrus
05-07-2009, 04:50 AM
My Grandfather got me into comics when I was young. He would always take me to the comic book store right here in town and buy me new comics, and he would always buy one for himself to hold on to in case I ruined the other one :laugh:

I still have many of the comics, but they are at my moms house and I have not been through them in years.

I have a lot of Superman comics, including some very old ones. I have the entire Doomsday series, plus all the different collector versions of the issue when he died, and "Funeral for a Friend" series where all the other heroes from DC comics bury Superman. Then of course he came back and have that issue too, lol.

I have not been through the collection in years and my memory ain't the best but others that I have collected various issues of are

Spider-Man
Punisher
Ghost Rider
X-Men
Fantastic Four
Luke Cage

I have a bunch. Next time I am at my moms I will dig them out and bring them home. I got a bunch of old and rare novelty comics too.

Punisher was a good series, I always believed he was the Marvels version of Batman with edge. I pretty much have all his series, war Zone, War Journal and the Original. I also have his first appearance.

logrus
05-07-2009, 05:01 AM
I always liked Wolverine, too, but I'm feeling that he's a little overexposed right now. The movie is pretty cool, but what irks me is that new "Wolverine and the X-Men" cartoon. I just don't like that everyone else is playing second fiddle to him. If he's that popular then just give him his own cartoon series (like they do with Batman) and let the X-Men have their own share of the spotlight.

Age of Apocalypse was about the time that I quit collecting, so I don't really remember that much of it. I've just recently started to get back into comics, but it's nearly impossible to catch up with all the stories now.

I can't agree with you more and to be honest I am baffled by how much over exposed he has become. He was popular, but he lost out to Phoenix, Cable and Gambit. Then again he did have a slew of comic books. He was in Uncanny XMen, his own series, guest appeared everywhere, and even have a huge run in Marvel comics presents, but still ask kids back then who they liked and it was Gambit lol.

AoA was a pretty cool storyline, Charles son tried to go back and kill MAgneto but instead killc Charles, and thus everything in the MArvel Universe went nuts, Cyclops was bad, Rogue was married to MAgneto, Wolverine and JEan were a thing and he had no hand lol. Best part of that series was the char named X-Man,

You could laways nab the trade paperbacks which pretty much cover the whole story arch. I bought those so I could read them at my leaser without dragging out the books lol

NateR
05-07-2009, 05:17 AM
You could laways nab the trade paperbacks which pretty much cover the whole story arch. I bought those so I could read them at my leaser without dragging out the books lol

I was at a comic book store in Edwardsville today and saw that TPB. I actually opted to buy the Dark Phoenix TPB instead and I'm just continually amazed at how groundbreaking that story really was and how much it completely changed the X-Men universe and the comic book medium itself.

Of course, it kind of ruined the impact of the story by bringing Jean back to life 6 years later, but oh well, that's par for the course for comic books.

NateR
05-07-2009, 06:15 AM
Just bought these two comics off of Ebay:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/BeastAA11.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/BeastAA12.jpg

Amazing Adventures #11 was published in 1972 and is the origin of Hank's blue & furry form (although he was grey initially). This story arc runs all the way to issue #17, and I'll start looking around for the next five issues. I spent about $13 for these first two issues, before shipping, so their not super hard to find. It's just a cool story and a must read if you are a fan of Beast.

J.B.
05-07-2009, 06:18 AM
LO! A BEAST IS BORN! :laugh:

That is classic

Llamafighter
05-07-2009, 01:27 PM
X-Men have always been one of my favorites, along with Batman, Spiderman, and Superman. When Dark Horse first really got big in the 90's I started collecting all the Predator series up to Batman vs Predator (which was a lot of fun). I collected Justice League Europe through the first 10 issues.
A lot of Punisher and Wolverine (and Punisher vs Wolverine) which focised on poaching and dinosaurs:)
I've collected off and on and now there is an awesome comic shop right off the train at my subway stop so if anyone is looking for anything specific let me know and I'm 90% sure these guys have it. I stop in weekly but have to make sure I don't have a lot of cash on me or I'll go broke in there:laugh:

NateR
05-07-2009, 06:34 PM
Okay, does everyone have a favorite artist? For me, my all-time favorite would be Jack Kirby, just because he started it all and I still love to look at his work even almost 50 years later.

As for living artists, it would Adam Hughes:
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/030/5/8/The_Black_Queen_by_AdamHughes.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/075/6/8/Spidey__s_Women_by_AdamHughes.jpg

You can see more of his work here (I think you'll have to sign up for an account to see the naked ones):
http://adamhughes.deviantart.com/gallery/

NateR
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM
I've collected off and on and now there is an awesome comic shop right off the train at my subway stop so if anyone is looking for anything specific let me know and I'm 90% sure these guys have it. I stop in weekly but have to make sure I don't have a lot of cash on me or I'll go broke in there:laugh:

I just found a comic book store in Edwardsville a couple of weeks ago. It's probably the first comic store I've seen in over ten years. Unfortunately, it's over 50 miles away, so I can't afford to go more than once or twice a month; because then I'd be spending more on the gas than the comic books.

Llamafighter
05-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmmm favorite artists...

I think Alex Ross is visually stunning (Kingdom Come GN).
http://www.alexrossart.com/galleries/kingdom/thumb/kindomcome20.jpg

Todd macFarlan
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4c/Batman423.JPG/200px-Batman423.JPG
I loved his art for Batman, and it was the only thing that really got me to buy any issues of Spawn.

Kirby is a legend and is sort of the Sailor Jerry of comics. hsi stuff always holds up.

Llamafighter
05-07-2009, 06:57 PM
Okay, does everyone have a favorite artist? For me, my all-time favorite would be Jack Kirby, just because he started it all and I still love to look at his work even almost 50 years later.

As for living artists, it would Adam Hughes:
http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/030/5/8/The_Black_Queen_by_AdamHughes.jpg
http://fc09.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/075/6/8/Spidey__s_Women_by_AdamHughes.jpg

You can see more of his work here (I think you'll have to sign up for an account to see the naked ones):
http://adamhughes.deviantart.com/gallery/

Hughes did some of the Star Wars series for Dark Horse I believe. his stuff is awesome!

NateR
05-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Hughes did some of the Star Wars series for Dark Horse I believe. his stuff is awesome!

I've seen all that stuff, but I've just been so burned out on Star Wars for the last few months. I first saw his work back in 88 or 89 when he was drawing for Justice League America. This was back when I was just starting to experiment around with drawing and his work was just so good that I didn't even try to emulate it.

Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee were actually the most influential to me when I first started learning how to draw.

Psykojojo
05-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I haven't collected comics in like 12 years, but my fav 5 iiiiis

1) Venom, I've been a venom fan for years man, ever since he thought he killed spiderman on that island. I think it's a damn tragedy how his character was raped and changed in the movie

2) not really a character but my favorite series was the Aliens (and predator) series by darkhorse, i had all of them up to when I stopped collecting (there were ALOT, mostly short series and graphic novels, great comics). My favorite was probably the one that followed the second movie 'Aliens' which is one of my favorite movies of all time, it basically showed alot of plot lines that didn't make it into the film and even showed what happened before the marines arrived (like the peoples struggle to fight and hold off the aliens, even newts story with her family and survival)

3) Maxx, awesome stuff

4) spawn

5)punisher

6)moonknight

Least favorite

1) Superman (basically any DC character, I kinda like batman, but that's it)

2) Wolverine

3) mr. fantastic

4)evil ernie

Llamafighter
05-07-2009, 09:07 PM
I've seen all that stuff, but I've just been so burned out on Star Wars for the last few months. I first saw his work back in 88 or 89 when he was drawing for Justice League America. This was back when I was just starting to experiment around with drawing and his work was just so good that I didn't even try to emulate it.

Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee were actually the most influential to me when I first started learning how to draw.

I had the "How to draw The marvel way" book and loved how they demonstrated drawing action and perspective.
Do all the current guys use digital do you imagine?

NateR
05-07-2009, 09:37 PM
I haven't collected comics in like 12 years, but my fav 5 iiiiis

1) Venom, I've been a venom fan for years man, ever since he thought he killed spiderman on that island. I think it's a damn tragedy how his character was raped and changed in the movie

2) not really a character but my favorite series was the Aliens (and predator) series by darkhorse, i had all of them up to when I stopped collecting (there were ALOT, mostly short series and graphic novels, great comics). My favorite was probably the one that followed the second movie 'Aliens' which is one of my favorite movies of all time, it basically showed alot of plot lines that didn't make it into the film and even showed what happened before the marines arrived (like the peoples struggle to fight and hold off the aliens, even newts story with her family and survival)

3) Maxx, awesome stuff

4) spawn

5)punisher

6)moonknight

Least favorite

1) Superman (basically any DC character, I kinda like batman, but that's it)

2) Wolverine

3) mr. fantastic

4)evil ernie

Yeah, I stopped collecting in 1995 and am just now getting back into it. It's nearly impossible for me to catch up at this point, since so much has changed. For instance, my favorite character got turned into a lion and I just can't accept that "thing" as being Hank McCoy.

I loved Venom back in the early 90s, I thought he was a great character; but the attempts to turn him into an anti-hero weren't that great. I liked the idea, but the way the story was written was just terrible. Basically they made Eddie Brock too stupid. Seeming to forget that he was an accomplished photographer and journalist before bonding with the symbiote and both of those jobs require some intelligence and at least a small measure of artistic creativity. Unfortunately, they never seemed to explore that aspect of his personality. A great, tragic character who was ruined by bad writers.

The Maxx was awesome! I especially liked the MTV animated series. Probably the most accurate comic book to TV adaption of all time.

I also still really like the Savage Dragon from those early Image days.

My least favorite heroes would be:
anyone created by Rob Liefeld (Cable, Deadpool, Youngblood, etc.)

Wolverine - I actually still really like the character as he was from the 70s and 80s, I just hate all the attention he's getting now. The rest of the X-Men have been relegated to sidekick status and that annoys me to no end. So, I think my current dislike of Wolverine is just a backlash towards all the current media hype.

I forgot all about that reject from the Iron Maiden album cover, Evil Ernie. Yes, he sucked.

NateR
05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
I had the "How to draw The marvel way" book and loved how they demonstrated drawing action and perspective.
Do all the current guys use digital do you imagine?

I think a lot of guys will use Wacom tablets, but most of the really good artists still draw everything the traditional way. Computers have mostly just revolutionized comic book coloring and essentially eliminated the need for letterers.

Also, I'm sure that a lot of inkers no longer ink the original pencil drawings anymore. They probably ink scans to keep the pencil work intact.

rearnakedchoke
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
when i was a teen i bought a safe as my three older brothers were jacking my stuff ... so i put all my comic books in there that i had ... well a few years ago i went in there, saw them and gave them to my son ... he was about 8 at the time ... let's just say if they were worth anything, he took about a day to make them worthless ... LOL .. i still buy him some from time to time, but he hasn't taken to them too much ... i guess we weren't spoiled with movies like kids these days are

logrus
05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I think Mark Slivestri turned me into a huge comic book fan, its surprising just how many books I bought over the years where he was the artist. The second favorite artist has to be Todd Mcfarlne. Hes since changed the way books were drawn. Third favorite was Micheal Turner, Witchblade, Fathom, Sadly he passed away last year, he had a bright future in the industry. Last is Alex Ross, his artwork is so beautiful to look at.

J.B.
05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
4) spawn

I forgot about him. I have the very first issue of Spawn somewhere in my collection. He was awesome, but I did not really like the movie too much. The soundtrack was good though.

Llamafighter
05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
I think a lot of guys will use Wacom tablets, but most of the really good artists still draw everything the traditional way. Computers have mostly just revolutionized comic book coloring and essentially eliminated the need for letterers.

Also, I'm sure that a lot of inkers no longer ink the original pencil drawings anymore. They probably ink scans to keep the pencil work intact.

I do some amateur cartoons (been drawing pretty much my whole life) and recently got a wacom tablet that operated pretty much like a mousepad with a pencil. I do most of my drawing in Flash 9 documents, and have dabbled with animating some cartoons.

The letterers from the old days were genius in their own right.

I still have maxx 1-5 locked away at my mom's. I loved the style and story of that character,

NateR
05-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I started out with just pencil on paper and did that for over 14 years before picking up a mouse for the first time. So in many ways it's more difficult for me to get the results I want on a computer (except in the realm of coloring) because it's just so counter-intuitive.

Although I am happy with some of the results I've been able to get from drawing with a mouse in Illustrator.

Llamafighter
05-08-2009, 11:57 PM
Well, I started out with just pencil on paper and did that for over 14 years before picking up a mouse for the first time. So in many ways it's more difficult for me to get the results I want on a computer (except in the realm of coloring) because it's just so counter-intuitive.

Although I am happy with some of the results I've been able to get from drawing with a mouse in Illustrator.

I've got to get my hands on Illustrator. I've heard really good things about it.

logrus
05-09-2009, 12:20 AM

You work strictly with a mouse or do you use a tablet. I got a real nice one I use for Maya, and Photoshop. I for the life of me can not work with a mouse.

NateR
05-09-2009, 02:46 AM
You work strictly with a mouse or do you use a tablet. I got a real nice one I use for Maya, and Photoshop. I for the life of me can not work with a mouse.

I only use a mouse, I've never owned a tablet. I tried a Wacom tablet once, but by then I had spent so much time drawing with the mouse and had become so accustomed to it that I didn't feel like starting all over again.

This picture was drawn with a mouse (using a pencil drawing as a template; but no LiveTrace, LivePaint or any of that stuff):
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/Spaceman.jpg

So I think it really just boils down to what you are used to.

cheachea
05-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey Guys, this is an awesome thread. I really used to be into comics back in the day. I gave alot of my comics away, but I still have the first issue of Wolverine(the one where he is on top of a bunch of dead bodys in Japan).
I was thinking a while back that our favorite fighter Matt Hughes would actually be the closest to the Comic Wolverine's body type. Don't you think ?

logrus
05-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Hey Nate you still dabble with Maya or Max?

NateR
05-14-2009, 01:54 AM
Hey Nate you still dabble with Maya or Max?

I mess around with Maya a little bit, but my computers are so slow now that I can't do all the high end stuff that I was able to do while in college.

NateR
05-14-2009, 01:57 AM
Hey Guys, this is an awesome thread. I really used to be into comics back in the day. I gave alot of my comics away, but I still have the first issue of Wolverine(the one where he is on top of a bunch of dead bodys in Japan).
I was thinking a while back that our favorite fighter Matt Hughes would actually be the closest to the Comic Wolverine's body type. Don't you think ?

I think Matt's actually too tall for Wolverine. Sean Sherk would probably be the closest body type, but even he is a few inches too tall (Wolverine is only supposed to be 5' 3" tall).

If I were to put Matt in the role of any superhero, it would be Captain America.

logrus
05-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I mess around with Maya a little bit, but my computers are so slow now that I can't do all the high end stuff that I was able to do while in college.

I was wondering cause I am working with Maya right now. I am trying to follow this book thats supose to be the "Official Maya" book. The only problem is its so badly worded that I often hit a huge wall or easily get lost. I was curious if you ever ran into the same problems in general with the darn program lol,

Wolverine is a midget, so you either have to find a bunch of taller peple to sell him, or locate a beefy 5'-2" guy lol.

By the way I like the superhero. Wish I could translate to a computer, but I dont have the patience lol.

NateR
05-14-2009, 02:33 AM
I was wondering cause I am working with Maya right now. I am trying to follow this book thats supose to be the "Official Maya" book. The only problem is its so badly worded that I often hit a huge wall or easily get lost. I was curious if you ever ran into the same problems in general with the darn program lol,

Wolverine is a midget, so you either have to find a bunch of taller peple to sell him, or locate a beefy 5'-2" guy lol.

By the way I like the superhero. Wish I could translate to a computer, but I dont have the patience lol.

Well, 80% of my experience with Maya has been with polygon modeling. Only 10-15% on rigging and animating and I learned just enough about lighting, texturing and rendering to be able to show off my 3D models; but that's about it.

So ask away, but keep in mind that, if anything, I'm a polygon modeler first and foremost. So if you have a question about NURBS, dynamics, texture maps, etc. then I can't be of much help.

logrus
05-14-2009, 05:57 AM
Well, 80% of my experience with Maya has been with polygon modeling. Only 10-15% on rigging and animating and I learned just enough about lighting, texturing and rendering to be able to show off my 3D models; but that's about it.

So ask away, but keep in mind that, if anything, I'm a polygon modeler first and foremost. So if you have a question about NURBS, dynamics, texture maps, etc. then I can't be of much help.

I am mainly a poly modeler, the problem is the book is just so vague which is sad because its suppose to be for beginners except the steps fade out to where if your not very familiar with it then your constantly flipping threw the chapters.

I think the biggest problem with the book is if you as a modeler get stuck or something does not work right then you have to constantly either go back or waste a good chunk of your life trying to fix it.

I am pretty good with robots, building and vehicles, but chars I drastically need help with in everything lol

Llamafighter
05-14-2009, 02:25 PM
I think Matt's actually too tall for Wolverine. Sean Sherk would probably be the closest body type, but even he is a few inches too tall (Wolverine is only supposed to be 5' 3" tall).

If I were to put Matt in the role of any superhero, it would be Captain America.

Yeah Capt. Americas is a good pick.

NateR
05-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Well, the thing about modeling in the computer is that it's pretty much exactly like learning any other form of art. You can only learn so much from books and eventually those books will do nothing but hold you back. The best way that I've found is to just sit down and watch someone, who knows what they are doing, and learn from that.

Do you know how to plug in MEL scripts? I have the MJPolyTools script that has pretty much been my lifeline in 3D modeling. If you don't already have that script, I think I can email it to you (I've never tried to email a MEL script before, but I'm sure it's possible).

NateR
05-14-2009, 07:47 PM
Yeah Capt. Americas is a good pick.

Definitely:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/captainamerica.jpg

Llamafighter
05-14-2009, 08:37 PM
Definitely:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/Barada73/captainamerica.jpg

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nate, can I have permision to use it as my avatar?

NateR
05-14-2009, 10:20 PM
That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nate, can I have permision to use it as my avatar?

Sure, if you want. :cool:

VCURamFan
05-14-2009, 11:52 PM
OK, so now we need to match-up other MMA fighters with their comic book counter parts. We've already determined Sherk/Wolverine (better than 6'3" Hugh Jackman :laugh:), how about:

Rich Franklin as Cyclops
matt sarah as Toad
Brock Lesnar as Thing
Forrest Griffin as Deadpool

Who else, do you think?

Josh
05-15-2009, 12:57 AM
OK, so now we need to match-up other MMA fighters with their comic book counter parts. We've already determined Sherk/Wolverine (better than 6'3" Hugh Jackman :laugh:), how about:

Rich Franklin as Cyclops
matt sarah as Toad
Brock Lesnar as Thing
Forrest Griffin as Deadpool

Who else, do you think?
I hate to say this but Florion as Spiderman. He is rather nerdy.

Josh
05-15-2009, 01:02 AM
I was going to say Lesnar as Bane and then found this.
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MARVELMANIACS/news/?a=6232

logrus
05-15-2009, 01:16 AM
Always saw Matt as Batman myself. Regular human sticking up for whats right no matter the backlash. Both live double lives.

Matt is Batman...

logrus
05-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Well, the thing about modeling in the computer is that it's pretty much exactly like learning any other form of art. You can only learn so much from books and eventually those books will do nothing but hold you back. The best way that I've found is to just sit down and watch someone, who knows what they are doing, and learn from that.

Do you know how to plug in MEL scripts? I have the MJPolyTools script that has pretty much been my lifeline in 3D modeling. If you don't already have that script, I think I can email it to you (I've never tried to email a MEL script before, but I'm sure it's possible).

Yeah just stick it in a folder and zip it, it should work just fine. What is it exactly. I been learning some of my modeling from everywhere, books, and turts online. I thought since this book was an official maya book, that it would greatly help me, yet I think it made it worse for me since I was familiar with it,

NateR
05-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Always saw Matt as Batman myself. Regular human sticking up for whats right no matter the backlash. Both live double lives.

Matt is Batman...

I guess... if you're a DC Comics guy.:unsure: I've never much cared for Batman myself.

NateR
05-15-2009, 02:03 AM
Yeah just stick it in a folder and zip it, it should work just fine. What is it exactly. I been learning some of my modeling from everywhere, books, and turts online. I thought since this book was an official maya book, that it would greatly help me, yet I think it made it worse for me since I was familiar with it,

I'll have to find it, but I think it's just a tiny little text file that you upload as a MEL script. Do you know how to upload new MEL scripts? It's been so long that I really can't remember how it's done.

Anyways, MJPolytools is just a amazing little script that gives you some really cool options for splitting polygons. I think most newer versions of Maya have incorporated most of its functions, so it might not be necessary if you're using Maya 7.0 or later.

Llamafighter
06-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Where's our update on the Beast drawing?:Whistle:

NateR
06-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Where's our update on the Beast drawing?:Whistle:

I haven't really worked on it much with Matt's fight, then Robbie's fight, and I'm getting ready to move to a different apartment. So I'll have to resume my drawings after everything calms down a bit.

I have been taking the time to catch up on my Marvel reading. I was so out of the loop that I didn't even know that they killed off Captain America. :huh: So, I've read Avengers: Disassembled, House of M, Civil War, The Death of Captain America, and Secret Invasion. A lot of big stuff has been going on in the Marvel Universe over the last four years that I wasn't aware of at all.

Llamafighter
06-09-2009, 07:46 PM
I saw that the Death of C.A. was on the shelves. How was it and is it worth picking up? I'm pretty much out of the loop too.

NateR
06-09-2009, 08:44 PM
I saw that the Death of C.A. was on the shelves. How was it and is it worth picking up? I'm pretty much out of the loop too.

It's actually really well done, but I've only read the first of three books. You really have to at least read the Civil War TPB to understand the context behind it all though.

The basic storyline is that the Avengers mansion is destroyed and several Avengers are killed off in Disassembled, when the Scarlet Witch basically loses control of her mind. Tony Stark effectively disbands the team. In the end, Ant-Man, Vision, Hawkeye and Thor all lose their lives (Thor is killed in Asgard when Ragnarok hits as a result of Scarlet Witch's actions)

Which leads directly into House of M, in which the former-Avengers and the X-Men try to figure out what to do with Scarlet Witch, since she's losing her grip on reality and can reshape reality with just a thought... which she does. She effectively turns the tables of the human/mutant dynamic and makes the world over with humans as the persecuted minority and mutants as the power elite. With Magneto in control of the world. Of course, a small band of X-Men and Avengers eventually see through the new reality and confront Scarlet Witch.

When Wanda (the Scarlet Witch) finally understands what it is that she's done, she makes one more 'adjustment' to the world. She utters the words, "No more mutants," and hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of mutants suddenly find that their powers are gone. Everything else on the Earth is back to normal except for this. Half of the mutants at the X-Men mansion are rendered powerless, including Bobby Drake, the Iceman. The results of this "hex" leave less than 200 mutants on the planet. (Currently, Beast and Angel are still working on finding a way to reverse the spell and the Anti-Mutant groups are seeing this as their opportunity to exterminate muntantkind forever.)

Meanwhile, the New Warriors, stars of a superhero reality show, go after a group of supervillains in the hopes that the battle will boost their ratings. Unfortunately, the New Warriors are waaay out of their league and the villain Nitro sets off an explosion that wipes out an entire elementary school full of kids, killing hundreds of people.

This causes a public outcry over irresponsible superheroes running rampant with no regulation and prompts Congress to pass the Superhuman Registration Act, which requires ALL superheroes in the United States to register with the government, reveal their secret identities and essentially become licensed agents of the government. Of course, this splits the superhero community down the middle. Iron Man champions the Registration Act, but Captain America opposes it. This escalates into a massive war between heroes and Iron Man and Captain America become generals leading opposing armies against each other.

The most notable events of Civil War involve Spider-Man revealing his secret identity on national television only to severely regret it when his Aunt May is shot in an assassination attempt on Mary Jane, which was ordered by the Kingpin.

Also, in order to help police up the now rogue superheroes, Iron Man, Reed Richards and Hank Pym begin recruiting former supervillains to fight on their side (Norman Osborn, Venom, Bullseye, etc). Plus they create a superhero prison in the Negative Zone to lock any superhero, who refuses to register, away for the rest of their lives.

At the end of Civil War, Captain America realizes that their conflict has grown out of control and is creating more destruction that he ever intended. So he gives himself up to be prosecuted. He is set to be tried for treason against the United States, but is assassinated on the courthouse steps. However, most of the other anti-registration heroes remain underground.

Iron Man is made the new head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and sets in motion the 50 States Initiative which promises to create government licensed superhero team in each of the 50 states.

However, the Skrulls have been working behind the scenes for years planning an invasion. They see the aftermath of Civil War as their greatest opportunity and launch a full scale invasion. They also awaken several superhero sleeper agents who have been masquerading as heroes in teams like the Avengers and Fantastic Four for years, including Spider-Woman, Hank Pym, Susan Storm, and the Avengers' butler, Jarvis, among others.

With the heroes unable to tell friend from foe, the Skrulls claim victory over the earth. They capture Reed Richards and use his brain to infect all of Tony Stark's technologies with a virus. This completely shuts down S.H.I.E.L.D. and all of Stark Industries. However, Reed Richards is rescued and helps to turn the tide of the invasion with a device that reveals exactly who is a Skrull and who isn't. In the end, the Skrulls set off a final doomsday device, which the Skrull Hank Pym planted in his ex-wife, Janet Van Dyne, aka The Wasp, years earlier. She begins growing uncontrollably and releases a biological toxin that threatens to kill every superhero in the area. However, the Skrulls never counted on a reborn Thor who is forced to kill the Wasp in order to save the planet.

Finally, the Skrull Queen, who had been masquerading as Spider Woman, is killed by Norman Osborn (the original Green Goblin), thus ending the invasion.

Iron Man, forced by the virus to begin using an older suit of armor, discovers everyone who had been taken over by the Skrulls being kept prisoner in one of the invading ships. So he lands the ship and returns them to earth. However, the damage is done.

The government disbands S.H.I.E.L.D. and discontinues the use of any Stark Industries technology for national defense. They name Norman Osborn the new head of the 50 States Initiative and... that's pretty much where I'm at now.

Crisco
06-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Sounds interesting.

Charging CA with treason is disgusting.

They should be hung for even thinking it.

Llamafighter
06-09-2009, 09:52 PM
It's actually really well done, but I've only read the first of three books. You really have to at least read the Civil War TPB to understand the context behind it all though.

The basic storyline is that the Avengers mansion is destroyed and several Avengers are killed off in Disassembled, when the Scarlet Witch basically loses control of her mind. Tony Stark effectively disbands the team. In the end, Ant-Man, Vision, Hawkeye and Thor all lose their lives (Thor is killed in Asgard when Ragnarok hits as a result of Scarlet Witch's actions)

Which leads directly into House of M, in which the former-Avengers and the X-Men try to figure out what to do with Scarlet Witch, since she's losing her grip on reality and can reshape reality with just a thought... which she does. She effectively turns the tables of the human/mutant dynamic and makes the world over with humans as the persecuted minority and mutants as the power elite. With Magneto in control of the world. Of course, a small band of X-Men and Avengers eventually see through the new reality and confront Scarlet Witch.

When Wanda (the Scarlet Witch) finally understands what it is that she's done, she makes one more 'adjustment' to the world. She utters the words, "No more mutants," and hundreds of thousands, possibly millions, of mutants suddenly find that their powers are gone. Everything else on the Earth is back to normal except for this. Half of the mutants at the X-Men mansion are rendered powerless, including Bobby Drake, the Iceman. The results of this "hex" leave less than 200 mutants on the planet. (Currently, Beast and Angel are still working on finding a way to reverse the spell and the Anti-Mutant groups are seeing this as their opportunity to exterminate muntantkind forever.)

Meanwhile, the New Warriors, stars of a superhero reality show, go after a group of supervillains in the hopes that the battle will boost their ratings. Unfortunately, the New Warriors are waaay out of their league and the villain Nitro sets off an explosion that wipes out an entire elementary school full of kids, killing hundreds of people.

This causes a public outcry over irresponsible superheroes running rampant with no regulation and prompts Congress to pass the Superhuman Registration Act, which requires ALL superheroes in the United States to register with the government, reveal their secret identities and essentially become licensed agents of the government. Of course, this splits the superhero community down the middle. Iron Man champions the Registration Act, but Captain America opposes it. This escalates into a massive war between heroes and Iron Man and Captain America become generals leading opposing armies against each other.

The most notable events of Civil War involve Spider-Man revealing his secret identity on national television only to severely regret it when his Aunt May is shot in an assassination attempt on Mary Jane, which was ordered by the Kingpin.

Also, in order to help police up the now rogue superheroes, Iron Man, Reed Richards and Hank Pym begin recruiting former supervillains to fight on their side (Norman Osborn, Venom, Bullseye, etc). Plus they create a superhero prison in the Negative Zone to lock any superhero, who refuses to register, away for the rest of their lives.

At the end of Civil War, Captain America realizes that their conflict has grown out of control and is creating more destruction that he ever intended. So he gives himself up to be prosecuted. He is set to be tried for treason against the United States, but is assassinated on the courthouse steps. However, most of the other anti-registration heroes remain underground.

Iron Man is made the new head of S.H.I.E.L.D. and sets in motion the 50 States Initiative which promises to create government licensed superhero team in each of the 50 states.

However, the Skrulls have been working behind the scenes for years planning an invasion. They see the aftermath of Civil War as their greatest opportunity and launch a full scale invasion. They also awaken several superhero sleeper agents who have been masquerading as heroes in teams like the Avengers and Fantastic Four for years, including Spider-Woman, Hank Pym, Susan Storm, and the Avengers' butler, Jarvis, among others.

With the heroes unable to tell friend from foe, the Skrulls claim victory over the earth. They capture Reed Richards and use his brain to infect all of Tony Stark's technologies with a virus. This completely shuts down S.H.I.E.L.D. and all of Stark Industries. However, Reed Richards is rescued and helps to turn the tide of the invasion with a device that reveals exactly who is a Skrull and who isn't. In the end, the Skrulls set off a final doomsday device, which the Skrull Hank Pym planted in his ex-wife, Janet Van Dyne, aka The Wasp, years earlier. She begins growing uncontrollably and releases a biological toxin that threatens to kill every superhero in the area. However, the Skrulls never counted on a reborn Thor who is forced to kill the Wasp in order to save the planet.

Finally, the Skrull Queen, who had been masquerading as Spider Woman, is killed by Norman Osborn (the original Green Goblin), thus ending the invasion.

Iron Man, forced by the virus to begin using an older suit of armor, discovers everyone who had been taken over by the Skrulls being kept prisoner in one of the invading ships. So he lands the ship and returns them to earth. However, the damage is done.

The government disbands S.H.I.E.L.D. and discontinues the use of any Stark Industries technology for national defense. They name Norman Osborn the new head of the 50 States Initiative and... that's pretty much where I'm at now.
Nice job of condensing it all:laugh: I'll have to start picking up some of the new comics. this sounds great.

NateR
06-09-2009, 10:26 PM
Nice job of condensing it all:laugh: I'll have to start picking up some of the new comics. this sounds great.

If you just want to see the basic events covered, then I'd recommend picking up a few trade paperbacks:

In storyline order:
1. Avengers: Disassembled
2. The New Avengers: Breakout vol. 1 (a new team must be formed in order to reign in a massive supervillain prison break)
3. House of M
4. Civil War
5. The Death of Captain America vol. 1
6. The Mighty Avengers: The Ultron Initiative vol. 1 (the first Avengers team created under the new government regulations)
7. Secret Invasion

Llamafighter
06-09-2009, 10:44 PM
If you just want to see the basic events covered, then I'd recommend picking up a few trade paperbacks:

In storyline order:
1. Avengers: Disassembled
2. The New Avengers: Breakout vol. 1 (a new team must be formed in order to reign in a massive supervillain prison break)
3. House of M
4. Civil War
5. The Death of Captain America vol. 1
6. The Mighty Avengers: The Ultron Initiative vol. 1 (the first Avengers team created under the new government regulations)
7. Secret Invasion

I think I'll get started thsi weekend. Did you say you have or have not read Kingdom Come? If not I think you would like it.

NateR
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
I think I'll get started thsi weekend. Did you say you have or have not read Kingdom Come? If not I think you would like it.

I think I have, I'm just not a big DC Comics guy.

NateR
06-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Here's a 2-page spread from Secret Invasion that depicts the Skrulls message to Earth, some eerily familiar messages in there, especially considering this would have been written in early 2008 before the Presidential election got into full swing:
http://comicsmedia.ign.com/comics/image/article/899/899400/secret-invasion-20080815034006160.jpg

VCURamFan
06-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the re-cap, Nate!!

Crisco
06-15-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/15/captain.america/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

CAPTAIN AMERICA WILL LIVE AGAIN!

NateR
06-15-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/06/15/captain.america/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

CAPTAIN AMERICA WILL LIVE AGAIN!

After reading the comic book series, it kind of seemed like that's what they were building to.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they had just kept him dead and continued to tell WW2-era stories. Either way it will be good to have him back. At least they didn't botch the story (so far) like DC did with the whole Death of Superman thing.

For anyone who hasn't read the comic books, the recent series (which just hit issue #50) is amazingly well written. Ed Brubaker did an awesome job of putting an international espionage spin on Captain America, with a storyline that spans WW2, the Cold War and modern times.

Llamafighter
06-24-2009, 07:35 PM
A friend of a friend draw this and i thought my fellow nerds might enjoy it.
This guy has a real cool style.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E6dx17AmtG8/SZxcpNxBz1I/AAAAAAAAAhA/Ic4JFO2WEq0/s1600/xmen_pete_final5.jpg
by Peter Nguyen

Llamafighter
07-20-2009, 03:09 PM
my buddy that works for Pixar has started a blog challenge for himself that I thought my fellow Comicheads might enjoy. He's challenged himself to create a super hero or villain a day for year.
http://365supers.blogspot.com/

NateR
07-21-2009, 03:56 AM
my buddy that works for Pixar has started a blog challenge for himself that I thought my fellow Comicheads might enjoy. He's challenged himself to create a super hero or villain a day for year.
http://365supers.blogspot.com/

Interesting idea, I haven't designed a new super hero character in several years. I might try to see what I can come up with.

Has anyone else on here been reading the current Utopia story line running through Uncanny X-Men and Dark Avengers? It looks like they are setting up some major changes for Beast, Hank McCoy, yet again. He's been getting experimented on by Dark Beast and so far all of his fur has fallen out and he's complaining about losing his claws. But they haven't really revealed what new form he is taking. I wondering if they plan to take him back to his original human form. At this point, I'd be happy to just see him back as the blue, furry apeman. I'm sick to death of the lion Beast.

Buzzard
07-21-2009, 04:18 AM
Reminds me, I have a box I need to get rid of. I have a Star Wars #1, the first 20-30 of the "What If" series, The first "Epic", and a bunch of others that I need to index. I've had these since the early '80's. Can't remember them all, and not sure if I have my old price list.

I also have a lot of old baseball and football cards, I should sell those too, but I'm like a pack rat when it comes to my old collectible things and stuff that I had in my teen years. Shoot, I still have my old Hot Wheels track, Fat Track, and some Sizzlers and Hot Wheels.

Llamafighter
10-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Interesting idea, I haven't designed a new super hero character in several years. I might try to see what I can come up with.

Has anyone else on here been reading the current Utopia story line running through Uncanny X-Men and Dark Avengers? It looks like they are setting up some major changes for Beast, Hank McCoy, yet again. He's been getting experimented on by Dark Beast and so far all of his fur has fallen out and he's complaining about losing his claws. But they haven't really revealed what new form he is taking. I wondering if they plan to take him back to his original human form. At this point, I'd be happy to just see him back as the blue, furry apeman. I'm sick to death of the lion Beast.

What's the update on your Beast drawing?

J.B.
10-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Slightly off topic, but not really....

has anybody played Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2?

I though it was pretty awesome how you had to pick a side in the split of the alliance. The gameplay is great too. :)