PDA

View Full Version : Randy on GSP v Penn

GnP
01-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Former Ultimate Fighting Championship heavyweight and light heavyweight titleholder Randy "The Natural" Couture has made a name for himself by his performances in big fights in the UFC Octagon. He's defied Father Time over and over while proving his critics wrong time and again.

Almost as boisterous as his in-cage accolades are his fight breakdowns. "The Natural" has an uncanny ability to make accurate fight picks, including correctly predicting some of the biggest upsets in recent years.

Couture gave his analysis of the UFC 94 main event, the rematch between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn, exclusively for MMAWeekly.com.

"B.J. is one of the most talented guys that I've ever been around. He has amazing balance and flexibility. He's got naturally heavy hands. His submission skills are top notch," commented Couture. "But I still think we've seen him at 155 fight the best that he has. Although he beat Matt Hughes back in the day at 170, it was more of a style match-up than anything. Conditioning, the body, mindset, everything, it was the best it's ever been at 155."

Penn has been a dominating force in the lightweight division, but has a history of wanting to challenge himself in higher weight classes. Couture believes Georges St. Pierre will be too much for the Hawaiian fighter.

"I just don't see it going well for (Penn) going up to 170, dealing with a guy like Georges who is cutting down a good 15 pounds, probably more, to make the 170-pound limit, who is as dynamic and has the skill sets that Georges has," stated the 44-year-old fighter affectionately know as "Captain America."

Couture added, "Although, I think it's going to be a very interesting fight. I like Georges in a five-round title fight, in that fight."

Georges St. Pierre edged out a split decision victory over B.J. Penn at UFC 58 in their first match up on March 4, 2006.

He is usually right about these things, either way I am hoping for a great fight not a quick knockout

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 12:30 PM
I think Randy got this one wrong. We shall see...

County Mike
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Don't doubt Captain America. GSP FTW!

TheConcretekid
01-28-2009, 12:56 PM
When he's right, he's right. I agree 100%. The best BJ is/was at 155 lbs.

jignpig
01-28-2009, 02:14 PM
GSP has a weak chin, not a glass one, but a weak one. bj has the power to knock GSP out george has the ability to submitt and or win by points. if this match stays on its feet i really think bjs got it. gonna be a great fight.

GnP
01-28-2009, 02:20 PM
GSP has a weak chin, not a glass one, but a weak one. bj has the power to knock GSP out george has the ability to submitt and or win by points. if this match stays on its feet i really think bjs got it. gonna be a great fight.

I am never sure where this idea comes from? Is it simply because Serra caught him with one HUGE shot?

Other than that when has he been knocked out? or knocked down? thats right never and he has faced some very good fighters in his time.

Most people in MMA are going to end up with a KO or TKO loss on their record because of the nature of the sport.

I just don't buy the week chin argument at all sorry

County Mike
01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I have to root for GSP because Dave once mistook my avatar at the time (pic of me) as GSP. If GSP and I look enough alike to fool Dave, then I'm rooting for my distant twin. haha

jignpig
01-28-2009, 02:35 PM
I am never sure where this idea comes from? Is it simply because Serra caught him with one HUGE shot?

Other than that when has he been knocked out? or knocked down? thats right never and he has faced some very good fighters in his time.

Most people in MMA are going to end up with a KO or TKO loss on their record because of the nature of the sport.

I just don't buy the week chin argument at all sorry
fair enuff, i cant argue that. i guess i look at it like this, dan henderson, you could hit him in the mouth with a bowling ball and hes not going to sleep. wanderlei is an animal and can take some serious shots but can be put to sleep. gsp can be knocked out and i think bj can do it. but as for my weak chin comment "you are correct sir"(in my best ed mcmahon voice)

rearnakedchoke
01-28-2009, 02:45 PM

are you kidding??? he has been KO'd once and has never ever been rocked in a fight and i mean wobbled ... he took good shots from fitch, bj was able to land some heavy shots in their fight and did damage, but gsp was never in danger of being ko'd ... when bj said he rededicated himself, he rededicated himself to fighting lw's .. his first fight was jens who was really a weight class below and has one win since that fight (cub i think is the only one) ... joe daddy again bj whooped him, but joe was out of his class and we saw that when he couldn't be competitive against kenflo and sherk was a good performance, i'll give him that, sherk looked no where the same level as bj in that fight ..

but to say gsp has no chin, maybe it hasn't been tested, but he was only rocked once

Edit: just read your other post now

GnP
01-28-2009, 03:06 PM
fair enuff, i cant argue that. i guess i look at it like this, dan henderson, you could hit him in the mouth with a bowling ball and hes not going to sleep. wanderlei is an animal and can take some serious shots but can be put to sleep. gsp can be knocked out and i think bj can do it. but as for my weak chin comment "you are correct sir"(in my best ed mcmahon voice)

haha fair play. I see where you are going but i think the Hendos of MMA are very few and far between as you say even wandi has been knocked out. Obviously I am praying for a gsp win but hope we get a great fight not some of the anti climax fights we seem to have had latley

Crisco
01-28-2009, 03:21 PM
I've said it from the start that BJ wont perform well against GSP.

BJ at 155 is Fedor domination.

BJ at 170 is getting bullied by GSP wrestling ability.

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 03:36 PM
I've said it from the start that BJ wont perform well against GSP.

BJ at 155 is Fedor domination.

BJ at 170 is getting bullied by GSP wrestling ability.

He's going to neutralize GSP's wrestling in a way we've never seen before. Opening of round two GSP will go for a takedown and Penn will rock him with a knee and end the show with a left hook from Hilo!

MattHughesRocks
01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
Did you look into your crystal ball for that?:laugh:

He's going to neutralize GSP's wrestling in a way we've never seen before. Opening of round two GSP will go for a takedown and Penn will rock him with a knee and end the show with a left hook from Hilo!

Crisco
01-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Wanna sig it? =)))

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Wanna sig it? =)))
Sig the specifics or jsut the outcome (win/loss)?

Win / loss I'm in!

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Did you look into your crystal ball for that?:laugh:

I actually took my Delorian for a quick spin:)

Crisco
01-28-2009, 08:17 PM
Win/Loss bet.

I'm a nice guy so the sig won't be too bad =P

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 08:23 PM
Win/Loss bet.

I'm a nice guy so the sig won't be too bad =P

Sure, I'll take your niceness into consideration, when choosing.

Crisco
01-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Sure, I'll take your niceness into consideration, when choosing.

Haha your awesome Mark. Once I buy my new car you want to take the trip to millville with me to train with Mike?

Llamafighter
01-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Haha your awesome Mark. Once I buy my new car you want to take the trip to millville with me to train with Mike?

Hahahaha!
DEFINITELY!!! I've already cleared it with the wife!

Jonlion
01-28-2009, 08:46 PM
See my heart says BJ will take it, he is the more naturally gifted and dare i say better fighter in every aspect.

However the head like Randy analyses says GSP takes this!

I can see either being raised but im gonna go with the gut and say BJ takes it.

Crisco
01-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Hahahaha!
DEFINITELY!!! I've already cleared it with the wife!

Lol I cleared it with mine too but she wasn't so happy about it haha

Crisco
01-28-2009, 08:52 PM
I know this sounds stupid but GSP is underated.

This fight will show it trust me.

rockdawg21
01-28-2009, 08:53 PM
GSP is going to overwhelm Penn.

bradwright
01-28-2009, 09:18 PM
lets see here,, GSP is going to be 2 much for BJ,,i dont see it going well for BJ,,that folks is just Randy saying in as nice of way as he could think that BJ is in for the beating of his life ,,and yes i agree,,it wont even be close,,BJ isn't stepping into the ring with same guy as last time,,GSP is way better now then he was last time they fought and BJ stands no chance what so ever,,when Georges fought Fitch everybody said Fitch would beat GSP senseless but we all know what happend there,,i really believe BJ made a huge mistake in asking for this fight and after its over you can bet he never asks again.

Tyburn
01-28-2009, 10:33 PM
I have to root for GSP because Dave once mistook my avatar at the time (pic of me) as GSP. If GSP and I look enough alike to fool Dave, then I'm rooting for my distant twin. haha
:laugh: yes...its true...I did :unsure-1:

Tyburn
01-28-2009, 10:37 PM
See my heart says BJ will take it, he is the more naturally gifted and dare i say better fighter in every aspect.

:ninja: agreed...maybe...possibly

I think Penn will win :laugh:

bj44
01-29-2009, 12:11 AM
GSP is gonna take this punk to the cleaners

I cant wait

Hughes_GOAT
01-29-2009, 08:10 AM

don't worry about Randy....he's buddies with GSP. plus, Randy picked himself in every fight he's lost, LOL.

Hughes_GOAT
01-29-2009, 08:12 AM

he couldn't finish Koscheck or Fitch, lol.

Hughes_GOAT
01-29-2009, 08:13 AM
lets see here,, GSP is going to be 2 much for BJ,,i dont see it going well for BJ,,that folks is just Randy saying in as nice of way as he could think that BJ is in for the beating of his life ,,and yes i agree,,it wont even be close,,BJ isn't stepping into the ring with same guy as last time,,GSP is way better now then he was last time they fought and BJ stands no chance what so ever,,when Georges fought Fitch everybody said Fitch would beat GSP senseless but we all know what happend there,,i really believe BJ made a huge mistake in asking for this fight and after its over you can bet he never asks again.

can't argue with that logic except for the fact that BJ has improved too

Jonlion
01-29-2009, 10:28 AM
don't worry about Randy....he's buddies with GSP. plus, Randy picked himself in every fight he's lost, LOL.

Funny that he did come up short with his prediction on the last one!

See i thought he was good friends with Bj as well.

I'm going to stick with BJ anyway, plus i like his attitude of taking on the big guy.

Tyburn
01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
plus, Randy picked himself in every fight he's lost, LOL.
:laugh: that doesnt count :laugh:

Tyburn
01-29-2009, 01:38 PM
he couldn't finish Fitch, lol.
I made that point at the time.:ninja: ..people said I was a hater :laugh:

bj44
01-29-2009, 02:26 PM
he couldn't finish Koscheck or Fitch, lol.
So he dominated them in every facet of mma. People put to much into finishing fights. Its not like GSP goes to decisions alot either. Hes stopped trigg, sherk, serra, and Matt Hughes 2 times.

In the lower weight classes it is more likely for fights to go the distance

County Mike
01-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Penn looks good at 155 because he HAS to be in shape to make weight. He's also fighting smaller, weaker guys in a weaker division.

GSP cuts a LOT of weight to make 170 and has been dominating a stronger division with tougher opponents. One fluke loss to Sarah doesn't make him a poor fighter. I think at the very least, he'll grind out a decision against Penn. I don't see Penn putting him away at all.

rearnakedchoke
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Penn looks good at 155 because he HAS to be in shape to make weight. He's also fighting smaller, weaker guys in a weaker division.

GSP cuts a LOT of weight to make 170 and has been dominating a stronger division with tougher opponents. One fluke loss to Sarah doesn't make him a poor fighter. I think at the very least, he'll grind out a decision against Penn. I don't see Penn putting him away at all.

i totally agree ... people talk about penn changing the way he does things? but really, are people saying he wouldn't have beaten pulver, stevenson and sherk?? GSP is a different fighter than those three and it will be apparent on saturday ... this can't come fast enough ...

Jonlion
01-29-2009, 03:02 PM
No one has stopped Koscheck by the way. At least i think so. I'm sure all his losses are on points. He is a tough dude.

County Mike
01-29-2009, 03:07 PM
No one has stopped Koscheck by the way. At least i think so. I'm sure all his losses are on points. He is a tough dude.

He has one loss to submission. I think it was RNC.

hizo64
01-29-2009, 03:21 PM

:blink: ummmm.....

Straight Right
01-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Watched the final installment of the countdown to UFC 94 last night and man does BJ talk a lot of crap. At first I thought he is just cocky an arrogant, but now it seems like its nervous false bravato. I'm not suggesting he is scared or anything just that he knows he's facing a stronger and better GSP this time around. BJ says "Georges trains with UFC fighters, I train with UFC fighters" like they are all inter-changable. Training with the likes of the Crow, Nate Marquardt, and Rashad Evans is entirely different than sparing with Troy "rude boy" Mandaloniz & Co. Now I'm sure he has brought in some other bigger named guys, and that preview doesn't show everything of course, but GSP being able to take down one of the top wrestlers at 205lbs in Evans, tells me he should be able to take Penn down again this time too. This is all just my opinion we'll see what we'll see. I'll take a ride in your Delorean Llamafighter and say I see a different fight, one where GSP takes Penn down repeatedly and wins by brutal GnP.

rearnakedchoke
01-29-2009, 03:58 PM
yeah, that was neer i think .. rnc or guillotine .. man, my memory is bad ...

rearnakedchoke
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Watched the final installment of the countdown to UFC 94 last night and man does BJ talk a lot of crap. At first I thought he is just cocky an arrogant, but now it seems like its nervous false bravato. I'm not suggesting he is scared or anything just that he knows he's facing a stronger and better GSP this time around. BJ says "Georges trains with UFC fighters, I train with UFC fighters" like they are all inter-changable. Training with the likes of the Crow, Nate Marquardt, and Rashad Evans is entirely different than sparing with Troy "rude boy" Mandaloniz & Co. Now I'm sure he has brought in some other bigger named guys, and that preview doesn't show everything of course, but GSP being able to take down one of the top wrestlers at 205lbs in Evans, tells me he should be able to take Penn down again this time too. This is all just my opinion we'll see what we'll see. I'll take a ride in your Delorean Llamafighter and say I see a different fight, one where GSP takes Penn down repeatedly and wins by brutal GnP.

lol ... what' s funny was that mandoloniz was funny when he said bj would smash guys like rashad and co .. LOL ... i know it is good to have confidence in your coach, but that is just ridiculous ...

County Mike
01-29-2009, 04:02 PM
yeah, that was neer i think .. rnc or guillotine .. man, my memory is bad ...

Actually, Drew Fickett by RNC. (I looked it up)

Crisco
01-29-2009, 04:45 PM
:blink: ummmm.....

Trust me bro GSP is on a level above every other weltherweight.

I truly believe GSP is one of the only people who may have what he takes to beat Anderson.

GSP is the best athlete and wrestler in MMA and with awesome wrestling you can beat anyone.

GSP will own Penn this whole fight. I'll call it right here.

Tyburn
01-29-2009, 05:48 PM
So he dominated them in every facet of mma. People put to much into finishing fights. Its not like GSP goes to decisions alot either. Hes stopped trigg, sherk, serra, and Matt Hughes 2 times.

You are supposed to finish the fight. Thats the idea...Judges are there for when neither side does

Total domination in every facet should have led to a finish if it consisted of five rounds...thats ample time.

I'm not saying he's bad...but there is some hype involved in GSP

Tyburn
01-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Trust me bro GSP is on a level above every other weltherweight.

I truly believe GSP is one of the only people who may have what he takes to beat Anderson.

GSP is the best athlete and wrestler in MMA and with awesome wrestling you can beat anyone.

GSP will own Penn this whole fight. I'll call it right here.
he aint a level above Matt Hughes. I dont care who won best of three :ninja:

Trust me bro :laugh:

bj44
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM
You are supposed to finish the fight. Thats the idea...Judges are there for when neither side does

Total domination in every facet should have led to a finish if it consisted of five rounds...thats ample time.

Jens pulvers biggest wins as ufc champion were by decision. Over Hallman, over uno, and over penn.

Like I said it is much harder for fighters in lower wait classes to finish each other. This is due to them having less power but also on average the skill level and conditioning levels of lower weight class fighters is higher. alowing them to go the distance more.

Jonlion
01-29-2009, 08:04 PM

I thought there might be one in there, and Drew is a slipepry cat, so no embarrasment in getting subbed by him.

I guess even though GSP didnt finish either Fitch or Kos, i think it says more about how tough they are, than GSP's ability to finish because he has shown that he can.

Llamafighter
01-29-2009, 08:27 PM

I'm going to start building your siggie, my friend.

ufcfan2
01-29-2009, 08:44 PM
First off I'll be rooting for BJ. I think BJ wins if it stays 2-3 rds, and if it goes more I'll say GSP wins.
I think the way GSP trains is better in the long run that what BJ is doing. I will say BJ has that arrogant outlook on the way he trains. With GSP training with other UFC fighters I think hes getting the better training. BJ right now is just winning on his pure talent and far as him training with other top UFC fighters I don't know if he is or not.. I hope he is:blink:

I'll be on pins and needles for this fight and Lyota fight(i'm pickin Thiago in the upset for some reason).

gymcoach97
01-29-2009, 09:02 PM

Serra never hit him on the chin to knock him out. He got clipped on the side of the head up behind the ear. That was the initial strike that rattled him.

That's about the same spot that Wanderlei hit Keith Jardine and Jardine was knocked out. It's nearly the same spot that Brock clipped Randy Couture and he was knocked out.

So, I don't think GSP has a weak chin. When you hit a guy in that spot, you can really rattle him. I suppose it knocks the balance off or something - maybe plays with the equilibrium of the ear, maybe?

Tyburn
01-30-2009, 12:36 AM
Jens pulvers biggest wins as ufc champion were by decision. Over Hallman, over uno, and over penn.

Like I said it is much harder for fighters in lower wait classes to finish each other. This is due to them having less power but also on average the skill level and conditioning levels of lower weight class fighters is higher. alowing them to go the distance more.
The point is, he was trying to finish the fights :)

I dont think you find he would take someone down and lie on them for twenty five mins..:wink:

Hughes_GOAT
01-30-2009, 04:49 AM
The point is, he was trying to finish the fights :)

I dont think you find he would take someone down and lie on them for twenty five mins..:wink:

like GSP did against Penn for 2 rounds :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
01-30-2009, 04:56 AM

if he can't finish Kos or Fitch, he's not finishing BJ.....short of another broken rib inhibiting movement and breathing. in fact, he didn't try to attack BJ from the guard in their last fight....he just laid there hoping the judges would give him points for takedowns he did nothing with.....and they did.

Tyburn
01-30-2009, 01:15 PM
like GSP did against Penn for 2 rounds :laugh:
:w00t: EXACTLY! :laugh:

Llamafighter
01-30-2009, 02:33 PM
I thought the Primetime thing was pretty cool. I hope they do one for Hughes vs Serra!
I wish they would have shown more of Penn training. His stuff on his site is pretty intense and he is doing tons of cardio.
The section of GSP's training with Rashad was sort of annoying. Rashad is too flashy to be a champ I'll support.
Does everyone have their picks in?

rearnakedchoke
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM
I thought the Primetime thing was pretty cool. I hope they do one for Hughes vs Serra!
I wish they would have shown more of Penn training. His stuff on his site is pretty intense and he is doing tons of cardio.
The section of GSP's training with Rashad was sort of annoying. Rashad is too flashy to be a champ I'll support.
Does everyone have their picks in?

the part with penn in the water running with the rock was cool .... and i like the rashad part ... too flashy for a champ? nah, he changes things up, who wants all champs rockin t's and jeans .. let him do what he wants ... not saying you have to support, that is your choice ..

i do hope they do this for other fights yes, especially hughes/serra, i probably couldn't handle serra's mouth for 3 shows, but i guess the end of the fight will make me feel better ...

GnP
01-30-2009, 03:23 PM
Dana says they gonna do three or four prime times a year. I have loved these. Must admit I was not a Rashad fan to start with but he is growing on me and looks a very good fighter now.

The people who don't think GSP is not a finisher you may wanna go and check his fight record very few go to decision. That said I would take him beating the mouth from Hawai any way he can

Crisco
01-30-2009, 03:24 PM
I wonder when Hughes is going to start his training camp... I hope he gives himself atleast 8 weeks.

I wanna see him pick him up and slam him on his head.

Jonlion
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Yeah the running with the rock looked amazing! Sadly i don't have the saluberious surrounding to try that out!

I don't think i'd make it to the bottom!!!!!

Straight Right
01-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah the running with the rock looked amazing! Sadly i don't have the saluberious surrounding to try that out!

I don't think i'd make it to the bottom!!!!!

All you need is a big rock and an ocean--I'm pretty sure England has both :laugh: