PDA

View Full Version : nice story

Miss Foxy
04-28-2009, 03:42 PM
A man from Norfolk , VA called a local radio station to share this on Sept 11th, 2003, TWO YEARS AFTER THE TRAGEDIES OF 9/11/2001.

His name was Robert Matthews. These are his words:

A few weeks before Sept. 11th, my wife and I found out we were going to have our first child. She planned a trip out to California to visit her sister. On our way to the airport, we prayed that God would grant my wife a safe trip and be with her. Shortly after I said 'amen,' we both
heard a loud pop and the car shook violently. We had blown out a tire. I replaced the tire as quickly as I could, but we still missed her flight. both very upset, we drove home.

I received a call from my father who was retired NYFD. He asked what my wife's flight number was, but I explained that we missed the flight.

My father informed me that her flight was the one that crashed into the southern tower. I was too shocked to speak. My father also had more news for me; he was going to help. 'This is not something I can't just sit by for; I have to do something.'

I was concerned for his safety, of course, but more because he had never given his life to Christ. After a brief debate, I knew his mind was made up. Before he got off of the phone, he said, 'take good care of my grandchild. Those were the last words I ever heard my father say; he died while helping in the rescue effort.

My joy that my prayer of safety for my wife had been answered quickly became anger. I was angry at God, at my father, and at myself. I had gone for nearly two years blaming God for taking my father away. My son would never know his grandfather, my father had never accepted Christ, and I never got to say good-bye.

Then something happened. About two months ago, I was sitting at home with my wife and my son, when there was a knock on the door. I looked at my wife, but I could tell she wasn't expecting anyone. I opened the door to a couple with a small child.

The man looked at me and asked if my father's name was Jake Matthews. I told him it was. He quickly grabbed my hand and said, 'I never got the chance to meet your father, but it is an honor to meet his son.'

He explained to me that his wife had worked in the World Trade Center and had been caught inside after the attack. She was pregnant and had been caught under debris. He then explained that my father had been the one to find his wife and free her. My eyes welled up with tears as I thought of my father giving his life for people like this. He then said, 'there is something else you need to know.'

His wife then told me that as my father worked to free her, she talked to him and led him to Christ. I began sobbing at the news.

Now I know that when I get to Heaven, my father will be standing beside Jesus to welcome me, and that this family would be able to thank him themselves .

When their baby boy was born, they named him Jacob Matthew, in honor of the man who gave his life so that a mother and baby could live.

This story should help us to realize this: God is always in control.

We may not see the reason behind things, and we may never know this side of heaven, but God is ALWAYS in control.

God doesn't call the qualified, He qualifies the called.

Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures Forever. Psalm 136:1

xSubmission
04-28-2009, 06:08 PM
What a touching story. Miracles do exist ^^

Twinsmama
04-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for a cry....I was sitting at my desk "working" and reading the story. Of course w/ tears streaming down. A customer walks in.... I started laughing at myself crying over a story and had to explain what the heck I was crying for!! how embarrassing. :laugh:

Miss Foxy
04-28-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks for a cry....I was sitting at my desk "working" and reading the story. Of course w/ tears streaming down. A customer walks in.... I started laughing at myself crying over a story and had to explain what the heck I was crying for!! how embarrassing. :laugh:
Sorry I just thought we hear so much awful things daily this is a bittersweet story and it came in handy for me the other day. Anyways didnt mean to make ya cry lil mama..:wink:

Miss Foxy
04-28-2009, 07:30 PM
What a touching story. Miracles do exist ^^
Your not so bad after all...:)

xSubmission
04-29-2009, 06:51 AM
Your not so bad after all...:)
For the record....I've never cared about what people think about me on lolmatthughes forum. I just type down whats in my head :w00t:

Quell
04-29-2009, 08:44 AM
Really good story but it's a fake. Heard this one before Link (http://www.snopes.com/rumors/matthews.asp)

County Mike
04-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Really good story but it's a fake. Heard this one before Link (http://www.snopes.com/rumors/matthews.asp)

I had a feeling but didn't want to rain on anyone's parade.

Miss Foxy
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Oh well.. The message is what counts in the end. :unsure-1:

rearnakedchoke
04-29-2009, 03:43 PM
yeah, i was wondering why someone from norfolk would drive to boston for a flight .. oh well, it is the message that counts ...

xSubmission
04-29-2009, 06:06 PM
LOL!
Not so touching after all

Miss Foxy
04-29-2009, 06:32 PM
LOL!
Not so touching after all
Even though this was fiction I don't see anything funny about 911 or the events following.:angry:

Tyburn
04-29-2009, 11:20 PM
:cry: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2eXoMBu6CY

xSubmission
04-30-2009, 02:36 AM
Even though this was fiction I don't see anything funny about 911 or the events following.:angry:
Dont get mad:unsure:
I wasent "LOL"ing at 911 or anything. But that story was kinda touching and then i hear its fake XD

mikthehick
04-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Dont get mad:unsure:
I wasent "LOL"ing at 911 or anything. But that story was kinda touching and then i hear its fake XD

That's not the point. There are many many stories extremely similar to this one that do exist. So in reality, there probably was something similar to that which happened. True, it may not be the 'exact' story, but reading it sure teaches us lessons.

If you were alive on 9/11/01 and were directly impacted by these tragedies, you would probably understand a whole lot more about the impact of these terrorist attacks than the average person.

xSubmission
04-30-2009, 02:44 AM
That's not the point. There are many many stories extremely similar to this one that do exist. So in reality, there probably was something similar to that which happened. True, it may not be the 'exact' story, but reading it sure teaches us lessons.

If you were alive on 9/11/01 and were directly impacted by these tragedies, you would probably understand a whole lot more about the impact of these terrorist attacks than the average person.
what???

mikthehick
04-30-2009, 02:45 AM
what???

sigh, I was just expounding on Melissa's observation at your previous comment. Never mind if you don't get it.

xSubmission
04-30-2009, 02:51 AM
sigh, I was just expounding on Melissa's observation at your previous comment. Never mind if you don't get it.
Hahaha i get it...
I just act like a dick most of the time ;)

mikthehick
04-30-2009, 02:53 AM
Hahaha i get it...

mmmhhhmmm, so i've seen

J.B.
04-30-2009, 03:00 AM

You will go far with that attitude. :rolleyes:

xSubmission
04-30-2009, 03:02 AM
You will go far with that attitude. :rolleyes:
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t

J.B.
04-30-2009, 03:11 AM
:w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t

You must have a nervous twitch. Go easy on the left mouse button, :)

Tyburn
04-30-2009, 12:49 PM

We have already forgotten our 7/7 I think we gave up publically remembering it in 2007...it only happened in 2005.

Now most people dont even remember what happened on the date. But those of us who were in some way involved....we remember it :unsure-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097373NYBV4 (they all remember the day before when we won the olympics though :angry: )

Buc Nasty
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM

Why? Are you twelve?

Jonlion
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
He is 18 and i understand why he LOL and i dont believe it was to laugh at the 9/11 trajedy.

i know he has been a bit silly so far on here but we can cut some slack eh?

Jonlion
04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
We have already forgotten our 7/7 I think we gave up publically remembering it in 2007...it only happened in 2005.

Now most people dont even remember what happened on the date. But those of us who were in some way involved....we remember it :unsure-1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=097373NYBV4 (they all remember the day before when we won the olympics though :angry: )

People barely remember those who fought and died for our liberties. It makes me incredibly sad to know that soon WW1 will be consigned to ancient History, barely on the minds of our generation. Hell kids dont even know when it begun and when it ended.

Miss Foxy
04-30-2009, 03:16 PM
People barely remember those who fought and died for our liberties. It makes me incredibly sad to know that soon WW1 will be consigned to ancient History, barely on the minds of our generation. Hell kids dont even know when it begun and when it ended.
Thats how we feel about 911 so cut us some slack and im not going to find it acceptable he thought it was funny. Even if he did he should keep that to himself. Many of us were impacted. The world was impacted.

mikthehick
04-30-2009, 03:28 PM

Sorry Jon buddy, I disagree with you there.

I remember the people who have died for my freedom. My brother is getting ready to deploy for a couple months here soon.

My kids are going to know historical facts like when wars began and ended and certain information that is important for them to appreciate where they came from. They should be proud of their ancestors and forefathers, just as I'm proud of my dad, brother, and cousins, who are all Marines, or Army airmen :cool:

Miss Foxy
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM

I remember the people who have died for my freedom. My brother is getting ready to deploy for a couple months here soon.

My kids are going to know historical facts like when wars began and ended and certain information that is important for them to appreciate where they came from. They should be proud of their ancestors and forefathers, just as I'm proud of my dad, brother, and cousins, who are all Marines, or Army airmen :cool:
Good post!
However GO NAVY!! In a few years though I will be a proud parent of a US MARINE!! Go figure I was an Army gal rotc...:wink:

rearnakedchoke
04-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Hahaha i get it...
you know what they say .. you are what you eat ...........

Miss Foxy
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
you know what they say .. you are what you eat ...........OMG thats the best burn ever!!!!!!

Twinsmama
04-30-2009, 03:50 PM

HaHa!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bonnie
04-30-2009, 04:05 PM

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Where is Crisco? We need a big ol' ZINGGGGGGGGG!!!! :laugh:

mikthehick
04-30-2009, 04:14 PM
Good post!
However GO NAVY!! In a few years though I will be a proud parent of a US MARINE!! Go figure I was an Army gal rotc...:wink:

I do respect all of them. Our daddy says that we bleed red and gold, and go figure Nathan joins the Army. But that's ok, he's going to fly the same helos that my dad did. He passed his test and I'm SO proud of him.

He goes out to Ft. Lewis Washington for officer training in a month.

Crisco
04-30-2009, 04:15 PM
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Where is Crisco? We need a big ol' ZINGGGGGGGGG!!!! :laugh:

ZING!!!!!

:fighting0023: :mad0233:

Jonlion
04-30-2009, 04:34 PM

I'm not sure where we are disagreeing here?

I'm saying it is vitally important to remembeer those who fought in the great wars and subsequent ones after.

I also think that 9/11 should be remembered and those brave people involved honoured.

I am not saying your kids don't know but im saying the travesty is that many chilldren of the U.K couldnt tell you dates of the WW1 and WW2. That to me is a travesty. It saddens me!

So if i am honest i am still trying to find where we disagree here?

:blink:

Jonlion
04-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Thats how we feel about 911 so cut us some slack and im not going to find it acceptable he thought it was funny. Even if he did he should keep that to himself. Many of us were impacted. The world was impacted.

Look,

What i said was an 18 year old kid was told the story wasnt true and he put a LOL. I think these kids put LOL on everything. I took it as an laugh out of embarrasment because he made comment that seemed to indicate that he was touched by the article , something about miracles happening.

He then LOL at the fact it was a fake and that he said that comment.

In no way was he Laughing at the people who died in 9/11 or was he laughing at the event.

I was merely stating that i dont believe he meant it like that. It seemed it was just an excuse to pummel an 18 year old kid. That's all.

So i said alright lets cut him some slack. if he was laughing at 9/11 then he deserves to be shot but i dont think he was, ok?!

So in my eyes there is no slack to be cut! when did i say dont remember or honour those of 9/11. it changed the shape of the earth and i remember coming from school and transfixed at developments on the News, barely belieiving it was real.

i saw that building come down in disbelief and it was a tragic day and too right it should be remembered and the people who were heroes should be honoured. I have been to NYC and paid my respects there.

So im not suree where things went awry here.

ALL i was stating that in no way was that kid laughing at what happened.

VCURamFan
04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
you know what they say .. you are what you eat ...........Ouch.:laugh::laugh:

mikthehick
04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure where we are disagreeing here?

I'm saying it is vitally important to remembeer those who fought in the great wars and subsequent ones after.

I also think that 9/11 should be remembered and those brave people involved honoured.

I am not saying your kids don't know but im saying the travesty is that many chilldren of the U.K couldnt tell you dates of the WW1 and WW2. That to me is a travesty. It saddens me!

So if i am honest i am still trying to find where we disagree here?

Naw we aren't disagreeing at all. I apologize for my lack of reading. Hey I'm not perfect at all, far from.

It is sad that many kids can't recite simple facts and why they are important, so I agree with you on that. But, we can make a difference about it, which is the cool thing :cool:

Tyburn
04-30-2009, 06:00 PM
:blink: I do hope not :laugh:

Crisco
04-30-2009, 06:02 PM
:laugh: :yuck: :blink: I do hope not :laugh:

Tyburn
04-30-2009, 06:04 PM
:laugh: :yuck:
:unsure: Exactly :scared0011:

Makes you think twice about putting anything in your mouth dont it :laugh:

Tyburn
04-30-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MX4DnOXK0 :cry:

Tyburn
04-30-2009, 06:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYzN2jpYMzw

VCURamFan
04-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Makes you think twice about putting anything in your mouth dont it :laugh:That's what she said.

Primadawn
04-30-2009, 07:42 PM
That's what she said.

Dude...if THAT'S what she said...you've got problems...:laugh:

VCURamFan
04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Dude...if THAT'S what she said...you've got problems...:laugh:Mommy said she wasn't good enough for me...:blink:

Jonlion
04-30-2009, 07:45 PM
Naw we aren't disagreeing at all. I apologize for my lack of reading. Hey I'm not perfect at all, far from.

It is sad that many kids can't recite simple facts and why they are important, so I agree with you on that. But, we can make a difference about it, which is the cool thing :cool:

Ha ha agreed!