PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Maynard aint no foo and don't need no pity.

TheConcretekid
04-22-2009, 09:52 PM
23 year old, ESPN's Espy award winner, Georgia high school wrestling state qualifier, Jiu Jitsu blue belt, and congenital amputee, Kyle Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut in the great state of Alabama this weekend.

mma.fanhouse.com (http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/04/22/kyle-maynards-amateur-mma-debut-shrouded-in-controversy-secrec/) has an interview with Kyle which is definitely worth reading, but here is a little quote that Bloodyelbow.com (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/22/849111/quote-of-the-day-kyle-maynard) thought was note worthy (and I agree) about the skill set he will bring to the fight:

"You know, without going into too much of my game plan, I am never going to be an Ernesto Hoost-level kickboxer; I assure you of that. But one of the biggest misnomers I have seen is that people think I can't strike. I got arms that end right above my elbow and I have had an over 400-pound butterfly press. I assure you can strike (and) I can defend myself. As far as the grappling goes, I got my blue belt about two years ago and I'm training with a world champion, Paul Creighton, whose fought BJ Penn. So, as far as conditioning goes, I think I've got the upper hand. I'm fighting in a bigger weight class than I have ever competed in before, but I still feel pretty healthy. You know, in high school I wrestled at 103 (pounds) and this fight is going to be at 135. I have been able to put on the weight as efficiently as I could without losing too much speed and mobility. So, I feel confident. The cards are there for me to go out and have a pretty awesome performance ... I think that one of advantage I have is that I have got the ability to prepare for (his opponent) in any different situation and he really doesn't have a clue what I am going to bring to the fight."

xSubmission
04-24-2009, 03:08 PM
23 year old, ESPN's Espy award winner, Georgia high school wrestling state qualifier, Jiu Jitsu blue belt, and congenital amputee, Kyle Maynard will make his amateur mixed martial arts debut in the great state of Alabama this weekend.

mma.fanhouse.com (http://mma.fanhouse.com/2009/04/22/kyle-maynards-amateur-mma-debut-shrouded-in-controversy-secrec/) has an interview with Kyle which is definitely worth reading, but here is a little quote that Bloodyelbow.com (http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2009/4/22/849111/quote-of-the-day-kyle-maynard) thought was note worthy (and I agree) about the skill set he will bring to the fight:
Wow wrestling at 103?
Good luck to Maynard!...How is Alabamas wrestling?

Crisco
04-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Are they just going to put him in the cage and close the door or can he walk on whats left of his legs?

Neezar
04-24-2009, 05:46 PM
:laugh:

Bless his heart.

Why here?! Sometimes I hate Alabama! :angry:

Miss Foxy
04-24-2009, 06:09 PM
Good luck to him. He definitely has heart..:)

J.B.
04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
I commend the guy for all he has accomplished, but I can't agree with him being licensed to compete in sanctioned MMA. If the rules have to be altered for somebody to compete, then it's not even worth it IMO.

This is a pretty hot button topic right now, it will be interesting to see what happens.

Crisco
04-24-2009, 06:26 PM
They should have him fight another dude missing arms and legs... That would be something to see.

This all sounds so mean I know I commend him for wanting to try but how the hell is he going to do it?

Jason 16
04-24-2009, 08:16 PM
They should have him fight another dude missing arms and legs... That would be something to see.

This all sounds so mean I know I commend him for wanting to try but how the hell is he going to do it?
there is a couple of videos of him tooling guyes that out weigh him in bjj tournys and the stub arms of him are solid bone at the end and he does have a 400 pound butterfly press so I would hate for him to have side control on me.

Crisco
04-24-2009, 08:21 PM
there is a couple of videos of him tooling guyes that out weigh him in bjj tournys and the stub arms of him are solid bone at the end and he does have a 400 pound butterfly press so I would hate for him to have side control on me.

Yea but how the F does he sub anyone?

Jason 16
04-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Yea but how the F does he sub anyone?
in one video he gets an arm bar and a arm triangle

Crisco
04-24-2009, 08:26 PM
in one video he gets an arm bar and a arm triangle

wow

xSubmission
04-24-2009, 09:03 PM
But who knows...He most likley cuts an extreme amount of weight to make it to 103. All those years of wrestling stunted his growth

J.B.
04-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I really do not want to sound mean, but this guy seems like he ain't looking for anybody's sympathy, so I am gonna say it anyway.

In a real fight, he gets punted like a football. BJJ tournaments are one thing ,and I am still not convinced he can pull of subs in real fight. Also, when you take out the ability to kick someone it is NOT MMA and I don't care if those nubs are solid bone. They are way too short for him to hurt ANY fighter worthy of having a fighters license. There is a reason this has been frowned upon by AC's, and I am really surprised this is happening at all.

With that being said, I hope he sells out the venue and I hope he wins the fight, he seems like an awesome dude.

Jason 16
04-25-2009, 01:19 AM
But who knows...He most likley cuts an extreme amount of weight to make it to 103. All those years of wrestling stunted his growth

he has said that he has the frame of a 145 pound wresler (they normaly walk around at 160) so I guess 145-two legs and two arms = 103

and cutting weight doent stunt your growth unless you start cutting into the 5% or less range on body fat or you do something extreamly stupid.

Jason 16
04-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I really do not want to sound mean, but this guy seems like he ain't looking for anybody's sympathy, so I am gonna say it anyway.

In a real fight, he gets punted like a football. BJJ tournaments are one thing ,and I am still not convinced he can pull of subs in real fight. Also, when you take out the ability to kick someone it is NOT MMA and I don't care if those nubs are solid bone. They are way too short for him to hurt ANY fighter worthy of having a fighters license. There is a reason this has been frowned upon by AC's, and I am really surprised this is happening at all.

With that being said, I hope he sells out the venue and I hope he wins the fight, he seems like an awesome dude.

your most likely right I would just like to see him win and get it out of his system and move on before he gets hurt

Hughes_GOAT
04-25-2009, 01:54 AM
pathetic

Jason 16
04-25-2009, 05:59 AM
pathetic
come on you cant just stop there.... elaborate

Hughes_GOAT
04-25-2009, 06:05 AM
come on you cant just stop there.... elaborate
it's a joke. this whole thing is to get attention. where are his gloves going? no kicks allowed LOL...i'd rather watch a girl fight a guy.

Jason 16
04-25-2009, 11:47 PM
it's a joke. this whole thing is to get attention. where are his gloves going? no kicks allowed LOL...i'd rather watch a girl fight a guy.

Ill give him more of a chance than a midget

TheConcretekid
04-26-2009, 12:02 AM
Bloodyelbow says his opponent will be an 0-2 Bryan Fry

Him at a no gi tourney:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5R75GGUovg

Him wrestling:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILObLUFik0w

His strength appears to be that no one has ever trained to fight/wrestle/roll with a guy who has no arms or legs. In fact, these sports operate under the initial assumption that all contestants have arms and legs.

When I first heard about his wrestling success back in '04-ish, I played the scenario out in my head... wrap him up, lift him, place on mat, pin... then I watched his matches. I think his fight will be the same way, time will tell I guess

J.B.
04-26-2009, 02:15 AM
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/45565/thumbnail_crop_php.jpg

Hughes_GOAT
04-26-2009, 02:32 AM
Ill give him more of a chance than a midget
that's because the midget would have to abide by regular rules.

Jason 16
04-26-2009, 02:44 AM
that's because the midget would have to abide by regular rules.:laugh:

J.B.
04-26-2009, 03:58 AM
Maynard lost by decision. :laugh:

Got to give him props though

Jason 16
04-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Maynard lost by decision. :laugh:

Got to give him props though
video

J.B.
04-26-2009, 04:23 AM
I am not sure if there is a video floating around yet, but I am sure there will be. I just caught the PBP on the Sherdog forum.

Jason 16
04-26-2009, 04:41 AM
I am not sure if there is a video floating around yet, but I am sure there will be. I just caught the PBP on the Sherdog forum.

Iam sure it will be on mmatko by noon

Tyburn
04-26-2009, 09:19 PM
:laugh:

Bless his heart.

Why here?! Sometimes I hate Alabama! :angry:
Is this about the guy whose just really a torso and a head :unsure:

VCURamFan
04-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Is this about the guy whose just really a torso and a head :unsure:No, he's got some stumps, too.

Tyburn
04-26-2009, 11:22 PM
No, he's got some stumps, too.
good for him :blink: