PDA

View Full Version : WTF!

Blmfighter
04-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Surprise: Signs for lake with 45-letter name have spelling errors
By Associated Press

WEBSTER, Mass. -- Officials have agreed to correct spelling errors in road signs pointing to a central Massachusetts lake with a 45-letter name.

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg in Webster has one of the world's longest place names. It's been spelled many different ways over the years. Some locals have given up and simply call it Lake Webster.

But after researching historical spelling combinations, the Telegram & Gazette of Worcester said local Chamber of Commerce officials agreed that some signs were wrong. There was an "o" at letter 20 where a "u" should have been, and an "h" at letter 38 where an "n" should go.

There are many stories and legends about the origin of the Indian name. One popular myth - later debunked - holds that the name translates roughly to, "You fish on your side, I fish on my side, and nobody fish in the middle."

County Mike
04-22-2009, 03:38 PM
I just call it Lake Chargo.

For the record: "Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" is the dumbest name for a lake I've ever heard.

MattHughesRocks
04-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Off the freeway from Los Angeles to Vegas on the Nevada side there is an off ramp with the road named Zzyzx. Not as many letters but odd just the same:blink:

Miss Foxy
04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Off the freeway from Los Angeles to Vegas on the Nevada side there is an off ramp with the road named Zzyzx. Not as many letters but odd just the same:blink:
Yup off Interstate 15!! I always wondered why they named it that...:huh:

Blmfighter
04-22-2009, 04:54 PM
What is wrong with people.

Llamafighter
04-22-2009, 05:11 PM

Maybe it;s a place to pull off and catch some Zs?
and 1 x
and 1 y

:laugh:

Bonnie
04-22-2009, 07:19 PM
I just call it Lake Chargo.

For the record: "Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg" is the dumbest name for a lake I've ever heard.

Can you imagine calling 911 for help? :scared0011:

911: "What's your emergency?"

Lady: "A snapper just neutered my husband!"

911: "Where are you at?"

Lady: "Lake Chargoggagoman.......ugg"

911: "Can you spell that please?"

Lady: :blink:

911: "Ma'am?"

Lady: :scared0015:

County Mike
04-22-2009, 07:34 PM
A snapper just neutered my husband!

Ouch! What made you come up with THAT scenario?

matthughesfan21
04-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Lady: "A snapper just neutered my husband!"

:scared0015: :blink: :scared: :eye-popping: :vomit:

Bonnie
04-22-2009, 07:58 PM
Ouch! What made you come up with THAT scenario?

Well, I was thinking, ya know, lake, fishing, accident...

Then, I remembered this true story I saw on one of those medical/emergency shows where this lady was out on a boat and this barraccuda (sp?) literally jumped into the boat and grabbed onto her abdomen. :scared0011: It was bad! I don't know if it got the main artery or what but she was in serious trouble.

Anyways, that's where I got the idea; I just changed the gender and "trauma", oh, and the fish. :laugh:

Bonnie
04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
:scared0015: :blink: :scared: :eye-popping: :vomit:

You don't look so good. Do you need 911? :unsure-1:

County Mike
04-22-2009, 08:07 PM
Well, I was thinking, ya know, lake, fishing, accident...

Then, I remembered this true story I saw on one of those medical/emergency shows where this lady was out on a boat and this barraccuda (sp?) literally jumped into the boat and grabbed onto her abdomen. :scared0011: It was bad! I don't know if it got the main artery or what but she was in serious trouble.

Anyways, that's where I got the idea; I just changed the gender and "trauma", oh, and the fish. :laugh:

and made it your husband. I'm sensing some bad intentions towards your spouse.

Bonnie
04-22-2009, 08:26 PM
and made it your husband. I'm sensing some bad intentions towards your spouse.

Who said I was the "lady"? Although, now that you mention it, subconsciously....:laugh:

True story: At our reception, in front of God and everyone, my uncle (my Italian uncle who happened to be a chef) told David that if he ever cheated on me he was going to CASTRATE him. :scared0015: Now, there's a "toast" to get the honeymoon started off right! :laugh: