PDA

View Full Version : Susan Boyle (Britain's Got talent)

matthughesfan21
04-15-2009, 07:14 PM
WOW, this video has almost 6 million views on youtube in less than 4 days...This just goes to so that looks aren't everything, I don't even like this kind of music, but this is amazing...I strongly suggest everyone at least listens to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lp0IWv8QZY

Bonnie
04-15-2009, 07:40 PM
That was absolutely fantastic! :applause:

And you are right, looks are not everything, but did you see how EVERYONE from the judges to the audience looked at her before she started singing. It's so sad how shallow humankind is, but she showed them! :happydancing:

Susan had the guts to get out there and I'm glad that lady judge had the guts to admit what all of them were thinking. :happy0159: to both of them!

What a voice; what a LADY! :sign0011:

(you made my day with this post, thanks! :happy: )

matthughesfan21
04-15-2009, 07:45 PM
That was absolutely fantastic! :applause:

And you are right, looks are not everything, but did you see how EVERYONE from the judges to the audience looked at her before she started singing. It's so sad how shallow humankind is, but she showed them! :happydancing:

Susan had the guts to get out there and I'm glad that lady judge had the guts to admit what all of them were thinking. :happy0159: to both of them!

What a voice; what a LADY! :sign0011:

(you made my day with this post, thanks! :happy: )yeah like when she said she wanted to be a professsional singer like elaine paige, everyone in the audience smirked and rolled their eyes, and as soon as she sang that first line, simon's eyes about popped out of his head, and everyone started cheering...it was fantastic..I hope she wins, shes not much for the eyes, but that voice is absolutely fantastic....I went and listened to elaine paige after her comment about her, and i have come to the conclusion that i like susan's voice better

Bonnie
04-15-2009, 07:51 PM
I hope everyone of them felt ashamed of themselves for dismissing her because of her "looks"!

You know that saying, "beauty is as beauty does..." You could meet the most beautiful woman or man, but if they are ugly on the inside, pretty soon it's not their outer beauty that you see. :wink:

I'm going to check out elaine paige and see what she's got. :cool:

Miss Foxy
04-15-2009, 07:54 PM
She is absolutely amazing!!! With that being said...In regards to her looks and peoples perception of her...
"Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness. What ails us is that our sense of beauty is so bruised and blunted, we miss all the best."

VCURamFan
04-15-2009, 08:03 PM
That was absolutely unbelievable. Les Mis is my favorite musical and to hear one of its keynote songs sung so masterfully was enormous. I had goosebumps & was almost moved to tears a couple of times. Wow.

Bonnie
04-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Okay, I went and checked out Elaine Paige. When I saw her I realized I've heard her before. I'm with you, MHF, I like Susan better! :happydancing:

And, Melissa, that was well put. I wonder how many of us "miss out" on knowing some really truly beautiful people because we judged them by their looks first and deemed them unworthy.

I had to go back and listen to Susan again, it was so beautiful. :)

Bonnie
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
That was absolutely unbelievable. Les Mis is my favorite musical and to hear one of its keynote songs sung so masterfully was enormous. I had goosebumps & was almost moved to tears a couple of times. Wow.

Me too! :)

Tyburn
04-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Alot of the time people dont sing the same way they talk...but she has at least a semi-professional singing voice...I think thats what astounded everyone...she had good pitch and volume...and people were expecting her singing voice to sound as daft as her speaking voice

I dont think she looks that bad though :mellow:

VCURamFan
04-15-2009, 08:16 PM
Alot of the time people dont sing the same way they talk...but she has at least a semi-professional singing voice...I think thats what astounded everyone...she had good pitch and volume...and people were expecting her singing voice to sound as daft as her speaking voice

I dont think she looks that bad though :mellow:Yeah, well you don't get a vote. You're a crazy English person, too!:tongue0011:

Tyburn
04-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, well you don't get a vote. You're a crazy English person, too!:tongue0011:
Well to my ear, that is a voice that has at least been partially trained at some point or other.

Who taught her the breath control? who taught her to accent the last note of the phrase. Who taught her to sing from her diagphram? The song she chose wasnt difficult though to be fair, a simple tune, easy fitting words...she struggled with the lower register....but I think it wasnt just the fact she could sing

she was a performer, and she'd won over the crowd so they didnt notice the diction wasnt so hot in the last verse, and she struggled on the low notes. Thats because they assumed she'd be crappy...and she was, if you ask me, partially trained at the very least.

I wonder if she either studied music when she was younger at degree level, or has sung in choirs for years...but people are not BORN being able to sing like that :ninja:

NateR
04-16-2009, 12:23 AM
Well to my ear, that is a voice that has at least been partially trained at some point or other.

Who taught her the breath control? who taught her to accent the last note of the phrase. Who taught her to sing from her diagphram? The song she chose wasnt difficult though to be fair, a simple tune, easy fitting words...she struggled with the lower register....but I think it wasnt just the fact she could sing

she was a performer, and she'd won over the crowd so they didnt notice the diction wasnt so hot in the last verse, and she struggled on the low notes. Thats because they assumed she'd be crappy...and she was, if you ask me, partially trained at the very least.

I wonder if she either studied music when she was younger at degree level, or has sung in choirs for years...but people are not BORN being able to sing like that :ninja:

Well, she's 47 and said she had been singing since she was 12, that's 35 years of experience. I think she had a pretty good idea of how good she was before stepping out there. That doesn't change the fact that her voice was absolutely amazing. :cool:

J.B.
04-16-2009, 12:56 AM

Dave, I'm shocked to hear you say that. People are most certainly BORN with those abilities. That is a gift from God.

I have been singing for many years, and I did have training at one point in time when I was a music major, so I know all about technique, and it's not something you can just assume people have been trained to do. Sure, when I was in training I learned some stuff I did not know about before, but I also was being taught a lot of stuff I already knew and did naturally.

I do agree with you that she struggled with a few things if you wanna be cynical, but bright lights and screaming people do tend to have an effect on the nerves. Even if she has had a bit of training somewhere, it's not like it matters, she still rocked. However, there are lots of great singers who never get training.

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Dave, I'm shocked to hear you say that. People are most certainly BORN with those abilities. That is a gift from God.

I have been singing for many years, and I did have training at one point in time when I was a music major, so I know all about technique, and it's not something you can just assume people have been trained to do. Sure, when I was in training I learned some stuff I did not know about before, but I also was being taught a lot of stuff I already knew and did naturally.

I do agree with you that she struggled with a few things if you wanna be cynical, but bright lights and screaming people do tend to have an effect on the nerves. Even if she has had a bit of training somewhere, it's not like it matters, she still rocked. However, there are lots of great singers who never get training.

You've missunderstood me.

People can be born with inclinations and tallent for music. BUT, in most cases in order for it to actually grow, it does need to be refined.

GOD granted her the ability to Sing...He didnt teach her how to do it though. BIG Difference. He might...if we are lucky, have empowered those who teach her.

When I use the term "Professional" I mean, that one has had training, and the majority of Singers who become famous and international, HAVE had some of that training...the Trained Voice is quite a distinctive sound...and I have a very good EAR for music...and she sounds Semi-Professional ALREADY...people ARENT Born with that...only with the ABILITY under the right circumstances to do that IF they have been blessed with a gift of Music.

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 06:38 PM
Well, she's 47 and said she had been singing since she was 12, that's 35 years of experience. I think she had a pretty good idea of how good she was before stepping out there. That doesn't change the fact that her voice was absolutely amazing. :cool:
I concure

I also think the programme makers might have. Do you notice how to add to the atmosphere...AFTER she stops singing...the background music keeps playing as they tell her how wonderful she was...It adds to the sense of depth.

Also note how the producers have added a tune that might make you laugh when they first introduce her...These could have been done in post production...but I think they werent, because I reckon that introduction was filmed prior to the show, to be played on the screen behind her, to the audience. That means, the music is probably part of the original recording...so the producers are actively hyping her stupidity to get the audience to believe more solidly a deceit...so the impact is bigger when she sings

The Judges probably didnt know...but I bet she had to qualify to even perform on that Stage :ashamed:

matthughesfan21
04-16-2009, 06:39 PM
I concure

I also think the programme makers might have. Do you notice how to add to the atmosphere...AFTER she stops singing...the background music keeps playing as they tell her how wonderful she was...It adds to the sense of depth.

The Judges probably didnt know...but I bet she had to qualify to even perform on that Stage :ashamed:doubtful, those were the auditions, I saw some other videos of people performing on that same stage and it was a trainwreck

NateR
04-16-2009, 07:01 PM
You've missunderstood me.

People can be born with inclinations and tallent for music. BUT, in most cases in order for it to actually grow, it does need to be refined.

GOD granted her the ability to Sing...He didnt teach her how to do it though. BIG Difference. He might...if we are lucky, have empowered those who teach her.

When I use the term "Professional" I mean, that one has had training, and the majority of Singers who become famous and international, HAVE had some of that training...the Trained Voice is quite a distinctive sound...and I have a very good EAR for music...and she sounds Semi-Professional ALREADY...people ARENT Born with that...only with the ABILITY under the right circumstances to do that IF they have been blessed with a gift of Music.

Well, the term "professional" would only apply if she was actually supporting herself financially with her singing. At least a large percentage of her income would have to be from singing in public. However, if she has never been paid to sing, then it doesn't matter how much training she's had, she's still considered an amateur.

You might call her professionally-trained, but she's not a professional.

J.B.
04-16-2009, 07:38 PM
and I have a very good EAR for music

So do I, and just because she sounds polished does not mean she was trained.

Their are lots of singers who have trained themselves by ear. In fact, MOST singers train themselves by ear.

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Well, the term "professional" would only apply if she was actually supporting herself financially with her singing. At least a large percentage of her income would have to be from singing in public. However, if she has never been paid to sing, then it doesn't matter how much training she's had, she's still considered an amateur.

You might call her professionally-trained, but she's not a professional.
I'm talking about whether she's been trained...it doesnt matter whether she sings for a living or not, nor who she sings to

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 07:59 PM
So do I, and just because she sounds polished does not mean she was trained.

Their are lots of singers who have trained themselves by ear. In fact, MOST singers train themselves by ear.
Thats why I said "semi-Professional" :rolleyes:

She sounds to me like she's been taught a few things about singing, aswell as just having a powerful voice.

As I cant read music, I rely on my ear. I'm pretty sure on what I heard. :)

J.B.
04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
There is a video of Diane Sawyer interviewing her on Yahoo, and they said she did sing in Choir. However, she also said that everybody was "gobsmacked" at her ability to perform like that in front of an audience. So that tells me two things...

1. She probably don't sing in front of people very much outside of this or being Choir. So, while I don't doubt she may have had some outside instruction along the way, I think this was relatively new to her in terms of performing.

2. "Gobsmacked" is probably the most hiarious word that Britain has.

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 08:13 PM
2. "Gobsmacked" is probably the most hiarious word that Britain has.
how about flabergasted :laugh:

J.B.
04-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Thats why I said "semi-Professional" :rolleyes:

She sounds to me like she's been taught a few things about singing, aswell as just having a powerful voice.

As I cant read music, I rely on my ear. I'm pretty sure on what I heard. :)

But my point is that you can't ever really tell, and it's mostly up to the singer to say weather they have been trained or not, and to take them for their word. There are some things that make it easy to see when a person has NOT been trained, but some people are just naturally good. Honestly, most of the tells that I would look for are visual and not audible. Such as they way a person stands.

J.B.
04-16-2009, 08:18 PM
how about flabergasted :laugh:

or mollywhopped :laugh:

is that one British?

NateR
04-16-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm talking about whether she's been trained...it doesnt matter whether she sings for a living or not, nor who she sings to

Well, I'm saying that 'trained' and 'professional' are two different things. Being a professional requires her to actually make money from her singing. She can be a professional-quality singer, but if she isn't making any money, then she's not a professional.

She could also be an expert singer without being a professional. The word professional implies some sort of monetary gain.

J.B.
04-16-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, I'm saying that 'trained' and 'professional' are two different things. Being a professional requires her to actually make money from her singing. She can be a professional-quality singer, but if she isn't making any money, then she's not a professional.

She could also be an expert singer without being a professional. The word professional implies some sort of monetary gain.

In some instances you can make a living from what you do but still be considered "semi-professional". Such as in the cases of some sports and in the entertainment industry.

NateR
04-16-2009, 08:44 PM
Some instances you can make a living from what you do but still be considered "semi-professional". Such as in the cases of some sports and in the entertainment industry.

That's the case with art as well. Selling a drawing for $5 in high school and nothing else the rest of your life, doesn't make you a professional artist no matter how good you are. :laugh:

According to my college professors, if at least 30% of your yearly income comes from selling your art or doing design work, then you can call yourself a professional artist.

I believe it was 30%, but I could have been as high as 60%.

NateR
04-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Also, you can be a professional artist with no formal training whatsoever. Those people are usually called "primitive artists."

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 08:55 PM

In singing...being professional actually means producing a certain SOUND, it doesnt mean you sing a lot. To get that sound, honnestly, you need training on top of some kinda natural gifts

"Professional" means being good enough to produce a certain sound, in music. They dont really use the word "Expert" and it doesnt really reflect any monetary gain. "A Singer" is an occupation "A professional Singer" is about the sound a singer makes.

takes me back to my days at Tasmin Little Music Centre :)

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
or mollywhopped :laugh:

is that one British?
thats not English... :mellow:

...sounds a bit french to me :unsure-1:

J.B.
04-16-2009, 09:06 PM
That's the case with art as well. Selling a drawing for $5 in high school and nothing else the rest of your life, doesn't make you a professional artist. :laugh:

According to my college professors, if at least 30% of your yearly income comes from selling your art or doing design work, then you can call yourself a professional artist.

I believe it was 30%, but I could have been as high as 60%.

What I do for a living is considered "semi-professional", even though I make all of my income doing it. When you play in a band, you can make a lot of money playing out if you have a good sound and you make the right connections over time. We get paid anywhere from $800 to as much as $1500 for playing 3 hours of music depending on the size of the club or venue we are playing at. When you book your band a minimum 2 shows a week , you end up making some decent money, but it's hard work. Still, in the industry the bands that are referred to as "pro" are the ones on the major concert circuit the groups signed to major labels. Even being signed to an indie label don't really mean much anymore.

For a long time all I did was play out, but lately I have started doing other work all under the same umbrella of providing entertainment for venues and events, such as doing DJ gigs, and working as a sound engineer for different bands. I also have a small recording studio in my home where I do my own work and projects for local artists from time to time, which is considered amateur because I don't make much money doing it, but I still have the gear and knowledge to turn out mixes that are "professional" quality.

Llamafighter
04-17-2009, 04:54 PM
The critical theatre dude in me has to say his piece...
I think she has great vocal quality, but the performance lacked the emotional investment that can make this song REALLY powerful. Don't get me wrong I was moved by it,andI know she was singing it out of context, but really what made it great was the setup and the reactions of the judges and audiences.

Bravo to her for her obvious talents, but just my 2 cents.