PDA

View Full Version : MHF Bible Study

Crisco
04-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Ok everyone please avoid posting in this thread until we have completed our first book. I'd like to keep this thread as clean as possible and as on topic as possible :laugh:

So here is the Line up so far

Week 1: James discussion to begin on April 19th so everyone has enough time to read and reflect.

Remember if you want to take notes so you remember what you wanted to adress!

Happy reading everyone and God bless! and War Hughes(had to throw some juju in there)!

Chris F
04-20-2009, 01:58 AM
What I took from James was that we cannot claim to be Christians in word only but that our deeds should also reflect a Christian walk. Some say James contradicts Paul idea of faith alone. But what i think James is really saying is that your faith will produce works. Which goes along with the idea that they will know us by our fruits. The fruits is our works produced by our faith. SO if we see a person in need and all we do is wish them well ans say God bless and not try to meet their need, there is no way we can call ourselves a Christian. Those are my thoughts for now. I do not want to hog it.

CAVEMAN
04-20-2009, 07:05 PM
The Book of James is definitely the Proverbs of the NT. There are a lot of people that claim to be Christians(CHRIST-LIKE), yet they bear no fruit in their life. I believe the Book of James is a clear blue print of the conduct of a Christian. And again, salvation is not by works, it is by faith. But faith without works is dead. Christ said if you love me, keep my commandments. So if we truly are saved and love the LORD JESUS, the works will manifest in our lives.

NateR
04-20-2009, 08:47 PM
I would agree with everyone here. We don't do good works to get saved, we do good works because we are saved.

For example, a husband has to constantly show his wife that he loves her. If he just marries her and then never speaks to her again and never shows her any acts of kindness, then no one would believe that he ever really loved her to begin with. If he truly loved her, then that love would compel him to action. It wouldn't be something that he would have to force himself to do.

It's the same way with Christians, our love for GOD compels us to love others and to show that love with our actions. By no means does that require Christians to always be nice and to never speak harshly or critically of others, however there should always be an underlying thread of love in whatever we do (tough love is still love, BTW).

Tyburn
04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
I'd like to know who the letter is addressed to?

I mean, Saint Paul writes to churches, usually those he founded on missionary trips...and they always say who they are being sent to

but James...well....who would be the church who would read his work? who was he writing for...because its like he actually wrote specifically for scripture :blink:

Chris F
04-20-2009, 11:30 PM
I'd like to know who the letter is addressed to?

I mean, Saint Paul writes to churches, usually those he founded on missionary trips...and they always say who they are being sent to

but James...well....who would be the church who would read his work? who was he writing for...because its like he actually wrote specifically for scripture :blink:

It was addressed to the Diaspora (Jews scattered due to persecution) This is what is known as a circular letter. It was addressed and then sent to various churches to be read by its leaders. James knew his time was short and like they other leaders he wrote down key teachings in case he was killed, which he was.

mikthehick
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
While the Book of James is one of the most controversial in the Bible, it's applications are numerous. As stated previously, our faith walk requires some facet of knowledge of the Word, but it doesn't stop there. We need to view ourselves as conceived sinners and do whatever we can to iron out the wrongdoings we've committed. No one is perfect, only Jesus, but we will be far better off if we try to live like Christ did. This is found in the verse of James 1:23--For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror. It's not always fun to look at ourselves in the mirror, because mirrors don't lie. They show us our imperfections. How are we to correct ourselves if we don't see the truth?

Crisco
04-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I know I'm late sorry.

There isn't very much more I can add on to whatever said here but I will say the book of James just in the first chapter really showed me what I need to work out as a Christian.

It made me both sad and determined because of how far I was from being what a Christian should be. I am often times exactly what the book warns about... A christian who claims to be but does not produce Christian fruits. I'll have to work on that very hard. I don't want to be one of the blind and ignorant to my own folly.

I look forward to the walk and even more to the destination.

CAVEMAN
04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
I know I'm late sorry.

There isn't very much more I can add on to whatever said here but I will say the book of James just in the first chapter really showed me what I need to work out as a Christian.

It made me both sad and determined because of how far I was from being what a Christian should be. I am often times exactly what the book warns about... A christian who claims to be but does not produce Christian fruits. I'll have to work on that very hard. I don't want to be one of the blind and ignorant to my own folly.

I look forward to the walk and even more to the destination.

Crisco, we're all in the same boat when it comes to conducting ourselves as Christians. I once had a pastor tell me that the bible is a lot like surgery. A surgery is performed to either repair something that is broken or remove something that should not be there. Well, the Bible does the very same thing in our lives when we read it and study it. Especially the Book of James.:)

mikthehick
06-19-2009, 01:49 PM
HEY! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BIBLE STUDY??

I'm ready to roll if you guys are! :cool:

CAVEMAN
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
HEY! WHAT HAPPENED TO THE BIBLE STUDY??

I'm ready to roll if you guys are! :cool:

:cool: I 2nd that!

surveyorshawn
06-20-2009, 12:02 AM
Well, lets pick a book then! Maybe instead of reading the entire book & then talking about it, we could do it a chapter at a time.....unless it's like Jude or III John or something, lol

VCURamFan
06-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, lets pick a book then! Maybe instead of reading the entire book & then talking about it, we could do it a chapter at a time.....unless it's like Jude or III John or something, lolNo, I like the whole book at one time thing. Let's do Psalms!!!:happydancing:

Sorry, I'm being unhelpful. Carry on!

surveyorshawn
06-24-2009, 02:29 AM
No suggestions? What about Philippians?

Play The Man
06-26-2009, 04:09 AM
I saw that you studied the book of James several months ago. For anyone interested in an in-depth study, here is a link to the Riddleblog which you might find beneficial. Dr. Riddlebarger just finished his sixth sermon on the book of James.

http://kimriddlebarger.squarespace.com/the-latest-post/category/sermons-on-the-book-of-james

mikthehick
06-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I second Philippians Shawn! Let's do that one because it's really insightful and is stuffed with references of what Jesus does in our lives.

Plus Matt Hughes' favorite verse is in there, so I think it's pertinent.

surveyorshawn
06-26-2009, 12:53 PM
Cool, let's set a date to start & let everyone who is interested chime in!!

TheDotComKid
06-27-2009, 07:08 AM
I would really enjoy a study on Hebrews or Romans...speak to each other about god everyday while there is still time,so that none of you will become hardened against god,being blinded by the glamors of sin.

Chris F
06-27-2009, 04:09 PM
I say we start with Phillipians. Romans and hebrews are very deep so maybe we should work our way to there. Phillipians is pretty short and could be easily read in a night. So how long do you all need to read and make observations?

TheDotComKid
06-30-2009, 07:09 AM
I say we start with Phillipians. Romans and hebrews are very deep so maybe we should work our way to there. Phillipians is pretty short and could be easily read in a night. So how long do you all need to read and make observations?

Phillipians sounds great!!! how about we read this week and start disscussion on the weekend?

Jonlion
06-30-2009, 01:55 PM
This would be brilliant for me just be patient with my simple observations!

But at the moment I'm only really discussing my study of the bible with one person and i need to expand that immediately!

VCURamFan
06-30-2009, 04:48 PM
This would be brilliant for me just be patient with my simple observations!

But at the moment I'm only really discussing my study of the bible with one person and i need to expand that immediately! Phillipians sounds great to me! I think I might just have an old devo book from a study I was previously, so if I can find it, I'll post the questions & comments from there, as well as my own stuff.

Also, for anyone who's interested in joining in but, for some reason, doesn't have a Bible on hand, here's a link to the English Standard Version Bible Online: http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/. If you're looking for a different translation (KJV, NAS, NIV, etc.), you can always use www.Bible.com (http://www.Bible.com).

Chris F
06-30-2009, 05:33 PM
So I take it we are agreeing Phillipians and we will start posting this weekend w/ observations?

VCURamFan
06-30-2009, 05:51 PM
So I take it we are agreeing Phillipians and we will start posting this weekend w/ observations?That's what I understood, but y'all know the dangers of relying on me!:laugh:

surveyorshawn
06-30-2009, 07:06 PM
So I take it we are agreeing Phillipians and we will start posting this weekend w/ observations?

Absolutely!

Jonlion
06-30-2009, 08:15 PM
Things are a little manic for me this week but i shall definetly read it and maybe just come back to this topic later on with my own observations and will enjoy reading what you have all said!

Thanks to all though, i really need help with this.

CAVEMAN
07-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Phillipians sounds good to me.:)

Chris Wescott
07-02-2009, 03:27 PM
Is it ok if I join in here?

I am looking to get more involved and more spiritual.

I'm a huge Matt fan and agree with his politics 100%, but I haven't gone to church in years.

His dedication to religion has inspired me to join the forums here.
-Chris

surveyorshawn
07-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Come right on in Chris. We are reading Phillipians this week and talking about it over the weekend

Chris Wescott
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks!

I will.

I will do the reading, but I'm out of town this weekend so I will come back and join in Monday or Tuesday.

This is kind of exciting.

-Chris

Chris Wescott
07-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks!

I will.

I will do the reading, but I'm out of town this weekend so I will come back and join in Monday or Tuesday.

This is kind of exciting.

-Chris

Rev
07-02-2009, 06:38 PM
I am pumped about this study man.

surveyorshawn
07-02-2009, 07:49 PM
I am pumped about this study man.

Me too! Several of my favorite verses & passages are in Philippians! Did you get my PM about getting together to watch the fights?

VCURamFan
07-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Just to clarify real quick: we're doing a chapter at a time, right? I'm lazy & don't want to have to write about the whole book if I've only got to write about 1 chapter! :laugh:

surveyorshawn
07-03-2009, 02:49 AM
Just to clarify real quick: we're doing a chapter at a time, right? I'm lazy & don't want to have to write about the whole book if I've only got to write about 1 chapter! :laugh:

I prefer a chapter at a time. We can miss too much by doing the whole book, I think. So yes!

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 06:43 PM
May I join :)

Rev
07-03-2009, 08:45 PM
I guess, I didnt even ask if I could. lol

Tyburn
07-03-2009, 09:39 PM
I guess, I didnt even ask if I could. lol
:w00t: I'm In! :ashamed:

surveyorshawn
07-03-2009, 11:36 PM
May I join :)

Open to all!!!!

VCURamFan
07-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Haha, Dave's responses will be like a Matthew Henry commentary: 3x as long as the passage assigned!! :laugh:

Chris F
07-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Philippians is a part of the often called prison Epistles. So when I read this book this is often what I try to keep in mind. What is Paul trying to tell his audience while in jail in Rome. I also remember the date. Many argue when it is written but we can narrow it down to 60-62 AD because this was Paul first imprisonment. Also since it is house arrest and they are not planning to kill Paul tells us it had to be prior to 62 AD because this is when Nero went off the deep end and started rounding up Christian to kill in the colosseum and to be tar and pitched to light up his gardens. So it is unlikely they would let Paul have house arrest in those circumstances.

So this is no doubt a start to the persecution. So Paul wanted to let them all know what is happening and going to happen chapter 1:12-26

This book is probbaly the most straight forward books of Paul. We know he is primarily dealing with gentiles also because there are no OT quotes.

Chapter 1

The most important aspect I find in this chapter is Paul speaking of the cross of Christ. If you notice in all Paul's writings he tends to focus on Jesus and the cross. In Corinthians he said I know nothing but Christ and Him Crucified. So in verses (12-18) Pauls is telling them that their gifts of support are allowing Christ to be preached. Paul is actually joyous inspite of imprisonment that the cross is be proclaimed. (19-26) Paul encourages them that even though circumstances are not perfect Chris is centered. The often quoted verse for me to live is Christ (while he is alive he will keep preaching) and to die is gain (even if I die that just means I go to Christ so it is win win)(27-30) can cut you. Paul is trying to tell us that our conduct must be worthy of the gospel. Basically he is saying how you act as a Christian tell people more of Christ then your words.

So what I took from Chapter 1 was

1- It is about the cross
2 In Christ it is win win
3- Am I living worthy of the gospel? If not better change

Rev
07-04-2009, 11:28 PM
I am gonna try and keep it short.

I love how he gives encouragment at the begining of this letter and lets the leadership in the church know that he is thinking about them. He gives aood praise for the work they do.(vs.1-11)

He goes on to tell them not to be discouraged because he is locked up. He has been told that his "circumstances" for the betterment of the word. People are bolder because of it. He doesnt care what it takes as long as people hear about the Lord. He pretty much says not to feel sorry for him because he is in an awesome position, if he dies, then he gets to go to heaven. If he lives, he gets to share the gospel with more people and win them to Christ. (what an optimist)

He goes on and gives direction on the peoples everyday conduct and how they should live like Christ. (the bible that we live could be the only bible that some get to see) He tells us to expect to be persecuted as a follower of Christ.

It is hard not to start preaching. lol

Chris F
07-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Alright guys and gals part of a bible study is accountability and discussion. So start posting slackers. Weekend is almost over.

Chris Wescott
07-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Hi Friends,

Like I wrote last week, I was out of town for the weekend. I did my reading though and will post some thoughts later today.

-Chris

Chris Wescott
07-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I joined this Bible study to help bring me closer to God, so I ask you all to forgive my personalization of the readings.

5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

I was raised to bow down to no one. The idea of making myself nothing in front of the Lord, I understand it but I don’t know how to do that. It seems so alien.

But in that simple act itself, Jesus was exalted.

It seems upside down. To reach the highest levels you must first embrace the lowest levels that I for one have spent so much time avoiding.

Generative Questions:
1. Does that make me trapped? Is that a wall that keeps me separated from Jesus?

2. How do I humble myself to Jesus? How does someone like me who is very independant learn how to obey Jesus?

Rev
07-06-2009, 08:23 PM
Well, first you have to realize that without him...... you are doomed. Once you get that its kinda easy to be humble before him.

Chris Wescott
07-06-2009, 08:24 PM
7But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith. 10I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead

This is a clear choice. Choose attainment of the resurrection from the dead, choose life and to live forever like Jesus, or choose worldly concerns like profit.

And Paul seems to acknowledge that in following the path of “Knowing” Jesus, you may be at odds with man’s laws. He writes that he doesn’t have righteousness that comes from the law, his righteousness is in his faith.

surveyorshawn
07-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Ok guys, I picked Philippians, and I promise i am going to respond with my thoughts. I have just been very busy getting caught up with work etc. as we get ready to go to the hospital for Ben's surgery. As you read this book, I would really like you to approach it from a different angle than has been previously posted on this thread. Instead of looking at it strictly from a theological point of view and dissecting the scripture, greek words, verbs, historical period, etc. (nothing wrong with that at all, just bear with me), look at it from the perspective of, "as I am reading this, what is God trying to say to ME specifically as His child...what does He want ME to get out of this...what does He want to change and or grow in ME?"

Again, knowing all the theological, linguistic, and historical things about the book are great, and are a valuable part of Bible study, but unfortunately most studies stop there. I would like each of us to get much more than that through this study. Keep in mind that this Christianity thing is about a relationship with God through Jesus, not just an education about Him. The Word of God is alive. It is more than just words written on paper for us to study. It is God speaking to us, calling us to a close walk with Him, and changing us. He is speaking to us individually and corporately.

In John 17:3, Jesus says, "Now this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." This whole thing is about getting to know God personally, not just to know & learn about Him. Of course learning about Him is a part of it, but too many people limit their studies to that and wind up with nothing other than a good theological education. Let's read this time just to get to know Him & listen to what He is saying to each of us specifically. That's our challenge for this study of Philippians. Have fun listening to and getting to know our "Daddy"!!

Tyburn
07-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Here are my thoughts

Verse One tells me that the Episcopal set up of the Church had already happened, or was begining to. Paul mentions people in authority of others within the church.

Interesting to note that Paul is already refering to believers as "Saints" confirming the believif that the Communion of Saints was probably something that become theologically apparent as soon as the first generation of Christians began to die.

Verse Two, commonly used as the introduction to the Eucharistic Prayer in Anglicanism

Verses 3-6

Paul likes Community. The mixing of Christians with other Christians should be a joyous occasion because both are united in their faith. It is more then a shared believif. It should inspire prayers of thanksgiving.

Before he has even Died, the day of Judgement is on the mind of the Early Church. Paul writes as if to imply that there will not be the passing of much time before "The Day" which is a reference to the Old Testament Prophets who called Judgement by the Title "The Day of The Lord" I wonder how prevelent in the Early Church thr thought was that Christs return would be VERY soon...as in a matter of Years not a matter of Centuries.

Verses 7&8

Paul very much sees himself as a Christian Authority, and a mentor in the Faith. He likens his own love, to that of GODs love. Thus if we take this to be true, GOD feels the same joy in Community, I pleased by Communion with other Christians, and continually dwells upon those who he has Saved with kindly affection.

There is no distinction for Paul in personal circumstances between those positive and negative when it comes down to Opus Dei. He doesnt care what situation he is put in, for he believes it doesnt change GODs ability to work through him. His empowerment is not based on Freedom, or on Happiness

Verses 9-11

Paul has a wish that those who he advises progress enough to be able to discern for themselves. In a sense he wants them to take their own responsibility for choosing how best to follow GOD. This would evidently be an achievement, therefore one wonders how often he writes to the Church. This Church may either be extremely young, or full of Christians who relay quite heavily on Pauline imput, for He says that such an achievement would be a testimony to the Power of GOD. His hopes are then not so much for growth, but for maturity.

Verses 12-14

Paul believes that GOD is useing him to get a foothold within those who are against him. He does not remain silent on the issues of his arrest, indeed everyone in the probation service knows not only that he is under arrest, but also why.

Perhaps he writes this to show how GOD can work through negative circumstances, but maybe he also writes it to reassure. If this church relays upon his imput heavily, it may fear that because he is under arrest Opus Dei might suffer and that they dont know what to do. It may cause this Church far more distress then it causes Paul. Knowing that, Paul may be writing to reassure the Church that GODs mission goes on regardless, and rather then become distressed, his imprisonment should serve to make them speak more.

Paul has a good idea about how public Pressure can be used to put heat onto institutions, he uses the tactic several times during the book of Acts of The Apostles. He is teaching some basic skills. Dont quit or flee in the face of adversity, and dont go quietly into the night neither.

Verses 15-18

Even Before his Death, Paul is making reference to Work placed Politics. He recognises that there are other people who would jump at the chance to be writing to Churches just like him, perhaps even succeeding him in some way within the church heirachy. He also admits that they have the potential to deliberatley do him harm whilst he isnt physically present.

He never says these people are false believers. Indeed, I believe, from my own personal experience, that he's simply talking about the motives of other Believers. They are doing a disservice to him on a personal level, but so long as it brings recognition to the cause, Paul doesnt seem to mind.

Verses 19-30

There is personal motive in Paul wishing the Church to mature. He wishes to go home. He recognises that at present if he were to die, the Church would suffer. But he would rather like to be on his way.

Paul recognises that times are hard for the Church, and tries to show empathy and indeed a way for the church to have hope by knowing that even when they are frightened and suffering, so has Christ before them, and so does Paul presently.

Makes you wonder how desperate that Church might have been. I wonder if anyone knows the History of the Church after Paul died :huh:

Tyburn
07-10-2009, 05:55 PM
too many people limit their studies to that and wind up with nothing other than a good theological education. Let's read this time just to get to know Him & listen to what He is saying to each of us specifically. That's our challenge for this study of Philippians. Have fun listening to and getting to know our "Daddy"!!
I dont know what it means to me personally :unsure-1: I dont understand how to do that :mellow:

I'm just trying to summerize what I think the text means and what that might indicate about all the characters involved :)

Chris F
07-11-2009, 12:11 AM
I dont know what it means to me personally :unsure-1: I dont understand how to do that :mellow:

I'm just trying to summerize what I think the text means and what that might indicate about all the characters involved :)

It is alright Dave not every one thinks in practicalities. Some are more concrete thinkers and thus do not worry about making it personal. Philippians was a theological letter to the church not a narrative where you should make personal applications. Often when we make it to personal we loose its original intent. I enjoyed your comments.

surveyorshawn
07-11-2009, 01:47 AM

That's great, Dave! :) You did fine! Not every passage is going to say something personal to you, lol. I never could personalize the genealogy of the sons of Noah, lolol. The point I was trying to make is to think along the lines of what God is saying to you in general as you read & study His word, in particular Philippians for now, instead of just restating the verses in our own words. What you got out of the passage may not necessarily be directed specifically to you or your life at the moment. Someone else may desperately need what you had to say, though. That is the beauty of the Body of Christ. Like I said above, another part of my challenge was to have us think in terms other than just restating the verses in our own words. I am sure that most people on here are capable of that, and if we are not careful, it can get a bit redundant. I will give my thoughts directly, as I just got in. I always look forward to what you have to say!

surveyorshawn
07-11-2009, 03:40 AM
This is really awesome! I love Philippians....and there is so much in this first chapter!! I remember years ago when I did my first really in depth study of this book. I was going through a really hard time in my life, mush like I am now, and instead of letting that get the best of me, I was determined to press in to God. As I sought where to study during this time, I felt that God was leading me to Philippians, and boy was it ever affirmed when I read the first chapter.

At that time, when I studied it, I read it in several translations, read several commentaries about it, and used my Greek & Hebrew transliteration, as I intended to study it as in depth as possible, and the only way I knew to do that was through a thorough scholarly approach. I gained a lot from that, and learned a lot about the context, etc. The life-changing things I gained from it were far beyond the scholarly things I learned, though. As I took in God's word and He began to speak to me, personally, it really changed my perspective about the situation that I was in, and what God wanted me to gain from it and do while in the situation.

One of the greatest things I got was about Paul's attitude in his situation. He was in a much, much worse situation than me. He was in a Roman prison, chained to a guard 24 hours a day. It was not like our prisons. There was no cable tv, no gym, no basketball. Not even basic sanitary considerations like a toilet, etc. Yet, in spite of that, he was full of joy, and chose to look at his situation in a positive light, and more than that, as part of God's plan to further the Gospel.

That is much more than the "glass is half full" philosophy. It reminds me today of another scripture he penned, Romans 8:28 "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose." That really spoke to me about the tough situation that I was in and the perspective I had in regard to it. Regardless of how bad it was, because I love God and am called according to His purpose, God either allowed or ordained that situation, and it was for MY good! I even told God, "I don't see that, but because You said it, I am going to believe it." And because my perspective changed, everything about the situation changed as well.

The other thing that God spoke to me about Paul and his situation is that not only was Paul's perspective right, but he used the situation for God's glory. As I read background information in the materials that I had, I saw that Paul was chained to a Roman guard 24 hours a day, and that, according to the historical information, they Romans had to keep changing the guards because Paul kept converting them. Can you imagine being chained to the Apostle Paul for hours on end? He was doing exactly what he admonished the Ephesians to do in Eph. 5:15-16: "Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil." He made the most of every opportunity to spread God's love.

So, what God spoke to me from chapter one was to change my perspective about the situations I find myself in, and not only to see them as something positive He is working in my life, but to use those situations for His glory and to show others the love of Christ. I am headed to the hospital for my son's heart surgery with that as my goal. God is truly awesome, and I am glad He is constantly speaking to us, changing us, and helping us to become more like Jesus!:) :)

Tyburn
07-11-2009, 12:00 PM
That's great, Dave! :) You did fine! Not every passage is going to say something personal to you, lol. I never could personalize the genealogy of the sons of Noah, lolol. The point I was trying to make is to think along the lines of what God is saying to you in general as you read & study His word, in particular Philippians for now, instead of just restating the verses in our own words. What you got out of the passage may not necessarily be directed specifically to you or your life at the moment. Someone else may desperately need what you had to say, though. That is the beauty of the Body of Christ. Like I said above, another part of my challenge was to have us think in terms other than just restating the verses in our own words. I am sure that most people on here are capable of that, and if we are not careful, it can get a bit redundant. I will give my thoughts directly, as I just got in. I always look forward to what you have to say!
Well, I think I have to make some more notes on the very last portion of text in that Chapter...I covered why Paul said it...but not what he actually said, and it may have a lot of bearing on his Theology

One thing I had not picked up in prior readings of this, is the sense in which the Church he is writing to might be (to personify for a moment) a bit of a hyperchondriac. I had always thought more about Paul writing...then about who he might be writing to. What things can we draw out about the Church he is writing to from what he says....and when you think of it that way, the first Chapter certainly gives the impression, that he might write to it very regularly, and that it might actually be rather demanding in attention, and might suffer from more then the average case of spiritual blindness. Although he writes with love...he does basically tell them they have to grow, mature, and they have to stop depending on him. But we get the sense that its not because the church is full of heratics...infact the ones that would maliciously do Paul harm, are evidently not at that Church, for he mentions them to the Church, as almost a bit of church gossip. I think it the problem might lie in the fact this church is too cautious...its a little on the weak and timid side. It goes into shock and withers away at the thought of Paul arrested, let alone its own likelihood for persecution.

See...when we think something wont happen, we use the phrase "it would be a miracle if..." and that is exactly what Paul could be saying. It would be such a feat for this church to discern for itself, that it would be a miracle (miracles are of course designed to draw attention to GOD...hence the reference to GODs glory and a testimony) but that also tells you without a miracle, just how...inadequet Paul feels the Church is on its own.

He feels that SO poor is the Church, that GOD will put off Pauls martyrdom until such time as they can fend for themselves...thats the hint he's saying. "Hey I'm ready to die now...but you cant cope yet without me...and GOD knows that...so he'll wait for you to grow up before he calls me home"

Thats NOT really a version i've heard preached. But...I think that might be, in context, what Paul is saying. Now this would relate to what we know about GOD in the sense of sending people to help and aid us. If one was in tune enough with GOD one could possibly be aware of being sent. Most people are aware of it only in hindsight...but Paul seems to know..a little like an Angelic Host, that he has been sent by GOD to help this Church to mature...and GOD wont realease him from Enemy Territory until the Church can manage by itself, or someone else comes to relieve him of his Duties

out of interest...anyone know how long between this letter, and Pauls death? Anyone know what happened to the Church he is writing to? I'd be fascinated to hear anything...even if its more legend and folklaw then exact history. :)

I guess...the obvious personalization of it is, to put yourself in the position of the Church (we are all in the position of that church sometimes...lost without a spiritual mentor, or our close confident is taken away from us) and follow Paul's advise....

...buit its not gonna help if we arent in the position of that Church :laugh: I'm sure that somewhere Paul advocates Discretion aswell as vocalization :blink:

surveyorshawn
07-11-2009, 02:41 PM
That is an awesome observation, Dave! After reading your post, I went back this morning and reread the chapter. Paul is really trying to encourage this church, like you said. It is interesting, because most of his letters contain some kind of rebuke about things going on in the church along with encouragement and instruction. To this church, he is concentrating on encouraging them to keep up the fight and not lose hope because he has been captured and put in prison. As he opens the letter, he seems so excited to write them, and is even thankful when God reminds him to pray for them!

To me, one of the most encouraging things he says to them is in verse 6 : "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." It was truly an honor for them to receive that statement, because of the reverence and respect they had for Paul and his position in Christ. He was able to say, through all of his experience, wisdom, and godliness, and because of the things he knew about them, that he was totally confident God was going to continue to be with them and continue the great work that He started in them! Like you, I am curious to know what became of the Philippian church. Knowing that they continued would really be encouraging in light of all the things Paul said. I wonder if there is a history of it somewhere on the internet. If I have time today, I will search for it!

Now of course we could personalize that statement (about God carrying on the good work He started in the Philippians through to completion), and many people have. Many have used it as proof of certain theological doctrines, which I don't intend to get into here (perhaps in another thread), but honestly, this is a letter that Paul wrote to a specific group of people that he had intimate knowledge of. That being said, as I read it years ago, while going through such a hard time, I was really wondering where God was in all that and what was to become of me. When I read it, it was as if God was saying to me, "Shawn, I am still here, I have not left you, and I will finish the work I started in you." Certainly I am not making a broad statement about everyone God has called, and of course I had then and do now have the free will to stop following God or backslide, but at the time God really used it to encourage me and not to only stay the course, but to draw in even closer. I am glad Paul's letter to the Philippians survived until this day!:)

Tyburn
07-11-2009, 02:59 PM
To me, one of the most encouraging things he says to them is in verse 6 : "being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." It was truly an honor for them to receive that statement, because of the reverence and respect they had for Paul and his position in Christ. He was able to say, through all of his experience, wisdom, and godliness, and because of the things he knew about them, that he was totally confident God was going to continue to be with them and continue the great work that He started in them! )

I hadnt thought of that. You can see the obvious danger cant you. They NEED Paul to tell them something like that, because they dont trust enough to accept it from GOD. You can understand a little, why Three Centuries Later when the Church goes Global, there is a need for someone...human...and someone Temporaral in every generation to act, like Paul, as the Spiritual Mentor for the Church of that age.

I think thats WAY blowing out of proportion the Role of Paul...and I'm certain he would aggree...or you wouldnt see him write so personally to Timothy, about he's own inadequecies and downfalls...BUT you can understand why that Church mentality is dangerous....in setting up some Human to be GODs earthly representative.

Not wishing to be horrible...but perhaps the Church never matured. That could be one of the reasons why, three centuries later, the people felt the need for a Pope to have an apostolic Voice. The Laugh of it is the Pope is more of a Pauline Character, then a Petran. Peter was almost a silent Patriarch for the Heathen converts...and yet...The Pope ONLY talks to Christians....that Role is Saint Paul, NOT Saint Peter...and his whole Brief seems to be to act in the same way as Saint Paul...a figure of authority, and...dare I say it...a person to hide behind.

I kinda want to leave it there, because I dont want to screw the thread up...I'm just thinking out loud about the ramifications to Christendom of too many Phillipian Mannered Churches...how that immaturitiy might have become a norm by the time of Constentine.

Paul is encouraging independance of Discernment. He's actually saying "think for yourself" VERY Early Roman Catholicism DID adhere to that because the Celtic Church thrived as a set of Independant Monastic Communities that were linked by Bishops who would be like Paul in Missionary travel and writing.

Anyway...lets get back to the main topic. I'm ready for Chapter two already :happydancing:

surveyorshawn
07-11-2009, 04:13 PM
I hadnt thought of that. You can see the obvious danger cant you. They NEED Paul to tell them something like that, because they dont trust enough to accept it from GOD. You can understand a little, why Three Centuries Later when the Church goes Global, there is a need for someone...human...and someone Temporaral in every generation to act, like Paul, as the Spiritual Mentor for the Church of that age.

I think thats WAY blowing out of proportion the Role of Paul...and I'm certain he would aggree...or you wouldnt see him write so personally to Timothy, about he's own inadequecies and downfalls...BUT you can understand why that Church mentality is dangerous....in setting up some Human to be GODs earthly representative.

Not wishing to be horrible...but perhaps the Church never matured. That could be one of the reasons why, three centuries later, the people felt the need for a Pope to have an apostolic Voice. The Laugh of it is the Pope is more of a Pauline Character, then a Petran. Peter was almost a silent Patriarch for the Heathen converts...and yet...The Pope ONLY talks to Christians....that Role is Saint Paul, NOT Saint Peter...and his whole Brief seems to be to act in the same way as Saint Paul...a figure of authority, and...dare I say it...a person to hide behind.

I kinda want to leave it there, because I dont want to screw the thread up...I'm just thinking out loud about the ramifications to Christendom of too many Phillipian Mannered Churches...how that immaturitiy might have become a norm by the time of Constentine.

Paul is encouraging independance of Discernment. He's actually saying "think for yourself" VERY Early Roman Catholicism DID adhere to that because the Celtic Church thrived as a set of Independant Monastic Communities that were linked by Bishops who would be like Paul in Missionary travel and writing.

Anyway...lets get back to the main topic. I'm ready for Chapter two already :happydancing:
I definitely agree with leaving it there, as it would take away from our study of Philippians. My only comments on it, in agreement, are that the early church's over-reliance on Paul reminds me of ancient Israel's desire to have a physical, earthly king (they would up with Saul) rather than the system God had put in place for them. Perhaps that insecurity reflects a lack of or immature level of faith in things we can't physically see. I would agree that the church remained immature, and perhaps even regressed some. Anyway, on with chapter 2!!

Tyburn
07-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I definitely agree with leaving it there, as it would take away from our study of Philippians. My only comments on it, in agreement, are that the early church's over-reliance on Paul reminds me of ancient Israel's desire to have a physical, earthly king (they would up with Saul) rather than the system God had put in place for them. Perhaps that insecurity reflects a lack of or immature level of faith in things we can't physically see. I would agree that the church remained immature, and perhaps even regressed some. Anyway, on with chapter 2!!
I think you've hit the nail on the head. I think all this shows, Israel/King, Paul/Early Church, Pope/Rome, Its the SAME thing happening over and over again.

There are four prongs to this problem.
First "If I cant see it, I cant Trust it"

Lack of Trust

Secondly "Someone has to be the Authority to settle disputes open to interpretation"

Lack of Discernment

Thirdly "If We're Wrong its because of him"

Lack of Personal Responsibility

Forthly "We want someone else to decide for us"

In all seriousness, anyone with any sense would know the answer to "Which Religion is Correct" or "Is there a GOD" must be the most important question ever faced by man

...so how come more often people say "I dont Know" AND are content to LEAVE IT AT THAT. Fear? Laziness? Inability to Choose or decide?

Its a puzzlement...One that GOD says in Revelations he finds most dissagreeable. Yes is Good, No is bad...but "Im aware of the problem, but dont know and dont care...." Thats intollerable sitting on the luke warm fence. He rebukes one of the Host who looks after the Church thats full of lukewarm people...niether good nor bad, no effort in, but no lack of it. Complete stagnation.

But I think your right...this shows a fundemental immaturity that has obviously been around in the Old Testament, The New Testament, and into the Cannonical epoch. People want to be told, want to be ordered...Love takes effort...people cant be arsed :blink:

Chris Wescott
07-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Hey guys...I think I missed last weekends reading assignment.

Where are we?

Thanks,
Chris

surveyorshawn
07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Hey guys...I think I missed last weekends reading assignment.

Where are we?

Thanks,
Chris

Philippians Chapter 2! No one has posted anything about it yet, but feel free to post what you got out of Chapter 1 if you want as well!

Chris Wescott
07-17-2009, 04:04 PM
This is one of the most powerful passages for me.

"5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
6Who, being in very nature[a] God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
7but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature[b] of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
8And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."

He humbled himself and became obedient to death
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place...

WOW!

Jesus embraced the very lowest of stations. Jesus proved his pure obediance to God, his Father and accepted his fate.

What did he get from the free will choices? exaltation to the highest place. Obviously I want to live a live like that of my Lord Jesus. So I always challenge myself. Could I do that? When it is my turn to show my absolute obediance to my Lord, will I?

If I believe in God, if I believe in Jesus, then the answer must be yes. I almost want this challenge now. To show Jesus that I am ready and that I believe in him and embrace him as my Lord.

"continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. "

Reassuring that it is OK to have fear in letting go of selfish ambitions and following the Lord. It is scary. As I try to grow closer to God through Jesus, it is scary. To me, Christianity is how you live and breathe. I know that the path I am on is life transforming and it is scary.

"14Do everything without complaining or arguing, 15so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe "

Like I said in the beginning this book is profound to me. I am not the obediant type. But if I were to obey, it would be to Jesus. Jesus I trust with my life.

TheDotComKid
07-18-2009, 05:55 AM
Alright guys and gals part of a bible study is accountability and discussion. So start posting slackers. Weekend is almost over.

I would like to start by apologizing for being so late with my response due to cpu problems(had to take it in for repair) and thanks to Chris F for the motivational push

In Philippians chapter 1 I think Paul and Timothy are asking us to do what we are all doing on this forum.For all of us Christians to stick together standing side by side with one strong purpose-to tell the good news.Paul and Timothy also remind us that no one and nothing can hold us back if we have true faith in God and that we should always stay optimistic and have no fear because this life is short but our other life is eternal.Sry this wasnt longer but but Im not the best writer and I find it hard to express myself on paper or the cpu.Ill be back soon to share my thoughts in another short post about chapter 2 lol:)

Chris F
07-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I would like to start by apologizing for being so late with my response due to cpu problems(had to take it in for repair) and thanks to Chris F for the motivational push

In Philippians chapter 1 I think Paul and Timothy are asking us to do what we are all doing on this forum.For all of us Christians to stick together standing side by side with one strong purpose-to tell the good news.Paul and Timothy also remind us that no one and nothing can hold us back if we have true faith in God and that we should always stay optimistic and have no fear because this life is short but our other life is eternal.Sry this wasnt longer but but Im not the best writer and I find it hard to express myself on paper or the cpu.Ill be back soon to share my thoughts in another short post about chapter 2 lol:)

You can't help cpu problems or service issues. the important part is that you read His Word. I t is always better late then never I suppose. Besides I should practice what I preach, I have been slacking on chater 2 so thank you for the push.

Tyburn
07-18-2009, 08:03 PM
I promise I shall give my reflections on chapter two tommorow afternoon :)

Tyburn
07-20-2009, 11:57 PM
:sad: I'm sorry guys...I spent so long in the Mormon thread that I've run out of time. But I will certainly do it tommorow lunchtime

I know its not when I said I would...but at least I'm talking in the other thread about The Bible :)

Tyburn
07-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Chapter Two

Verses 1-4

Paul is talking about Community. He lists a set of experiences which are desired by the Chuch (Consolation for Hardship, Comfort through Love, Fellowship in Spirit, happiness through empathy and understanding) Then tells the Church how those can be obtained.

Sharing in the same Love by having one united goal, which all can aggree upon as being the root of progression. Caring for others in a pastoral sense, and paying attention to the situation and circumstances of others.

He points out that argument, and vanity can be stumbling blocks and adds extra motivation. Since the church is heavily relient upon Paul he tells them how happy it would make him, if they did these things "Fulfill ye my joy"

Verses 4-11

A short diologue on Unity within the Trinity personalities, particularly on the aspect of Christ becoming part of the Created Order, and voluntarily aggreeing to experience all the negatives of such a feat. A manner which is terribly unbecoming for who he actually was. Traditional Monarchs do not make themselves subjects.

He hints that because of the glory that a re-united Trinity expressed after asscension-tide. The same is available to all Humans who move towards being Christlike. Its a very simple form of Bribery. If you want the reward, try to put into action what is being suggested.

Verses 12-18

I strongly suspect that this was one of Pauls last letters to this particular Church before receiving Sentance. It is written as a kind of commission that could be used as a final statement for one approaching death. Its as if he's writing...just in case he happens to die.

He commands the church to "work out your own salvation" that is not about work in terms of deeds...the emphasis is on "own" its like a Mother telling her Child, its time to leave the next and fend for itself. He is also largely casting them back on GOD alone and not seemingly handing them over to anyone else. Simply promising that if He should die, GOD will take care of them.

The urge is to continue in spite of what might happen to him by " a crooked and perverse Nation" This is very much telling them what to do upon hearing that he has been martyred I reckon. Although he's pretty sure it wont happen, he isnt as Certain as he made out in the first Chapter. This is an Epilogue. In fact the close is much like a Prayer out of the Book of Common Prayer used in the Funerial Sentances. Paul asks that they do this so that upon Judgement, he may look back and see that what he perecieves to be the meaning of His Life, is realized. He may also be subtly asking for prayer after he has died...Holding forth the word of Life (that I may rejoice in the day of Christ) Pray for my salvation upon my Death?

Verses 19-30

I havent got a clue what he is talking about. I know his best friend...but the thing with the guy who got Ill and nearly died :blink: eh :huh:

Chris Wescott
07-27-2009, 06:20 PM
Hey folks, no study last weekend?

I'm getting a lot out of it.

Robertboxerboy
01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Alright well i will not lie, o am not the best at reading my bible. so we need to get this study back up and running again so i have something to oush me, the MH community! I am not the expert on the bible so I will let someone else decide what book we will start to read....:)

BamaGrits84
04-21-2010, 01:14 PM
I wish I got in on thsiw hen it started. It's great for Christians to encourage each other to study God's word. I love writing short articles on passages that really speak to me. I think it would be better to use smaller sections than an entire chapter. I think we should start in Matthew and go through the New Testament. I'll be glad to start it back up.

Chris F
04-21-2010, 06:45 PM
I wish I got in on thsiw hen it started. It's great for Christians to encourage each other to study God's word. I love writing short articles on passages that really speak to me. I think it would be better to use smaller sections than an entire chapter. I think we should start in Matthew and go through the New Testament. I'll be glad to start it back up.

Feel free to do so and maybe other will follow suit. Sadly only contreversial threads seem to generate any sort of discourse.

As for Matthew- What do you think is the point behind mentioning the genealogy besides the fact Matthew was written to Jews and this sort things was important. Can we glean anything of an application of sorts from this. I will reserve my opinions till I hear from some others. I preached on it once and was very fulfilled from it and am curious if any other person took away the same thing I did.