PDA

View Full Version : MH Forum BIble study

Crisco
04-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Anyone interested in doing it with me?

Every week or so we pick a book or section of the bible and read and reflect on it for a day or two and then we have a discussion on his forum style? Kind of compare thoughts and feels based on the passage?

Llamafighter
04-13-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm in. I've really been wanting to get back to it.Does anyone belong to a Bible study that we could shadow. It might make it fun to follow another groups book selection.

NateR
04-13-2009, 06:14 PM
I'd be interested as long as we actually study the Bible. I've been part of enough "Bible-studies" where we never even open the Bible, but instead read from modern books about the Bible or Christianity.

Llamafighter
04-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd be interested as long as we actually study the Bible. I've been part of enough "Bible-studies" where we never even open the Bible, but instead read from modern books about the Bible or Christianity.

No, if we do it I want to read from actually book.

Chris F
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
May I suggest James. It is a very practical book with a lot of stuff we Christians have stopped practicing in our lives.

rearnakedchoke
04-13-2009, 06:22 PM
let me get this straight, so we pick a book of the bible (or section of a book), each person reads it and we compare what we thought, or our interpretations?

Miss Foxy
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Im down! You fellows and ladies can teach me a thing or 2. I am open for it...

Crisco
04-13-2009, 06:43 PM
let me get this straight, so we pick a book of the bible (or section of a book), each person reads it and we compare what we thought, or our interpretations?

Yea pretty much.

How it made us feel or life experiences that can relate to the book or chapters...

Crisco
04-13-2009, 06:44 PM
All it will be completely based on the bible. No other books are going to be official MHF bible study reading.

What you do for your recreation of course is up too you :)

Twinsmama
04-13-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd like to give it a try too. I also want to learn from the Bible.

I don't know if you guys remember or not but 7 weeks ago my son was hurt and should not have survived. All the drs said there was no explanation why he lived. It's sure showed me and my whole family what it important. I had never been to church before that. I've went just once since then and plan on going on a regular basis once I'm able to take him to the Sunday School and not worry about him bumping his head(5 more weeks til the all clear). I don't know much about God or the Bible but I prayed to him so much and he answered. I know how blessed we are and need to prove my love back to God.
Tracy

rearnakedchoke
04-13-2009, 06:50 PM
sounds good ..

Crisco
04-13-2009, 06:51 PM

I don't know if you guys remember or not but 7 weeks ago my son was hurt and should not have survived. All the drs said there was no explanation why he lived. It's sure showed me and my whole family what it important. I had never been to church before that. I've went just once since then and plan on going on a regular basis once I'm able to take him to the Sunday School and not worry about him bumping his head(5 more weeks til the all clear). I don't know much about God or the Bible but I prayed to him so much and he answered. I know how blessed we are and need to prove my love back to God.
Tracy

You know more then you think Tracy =)

Give yourself up to God is the first step towards being saved :w00t:

Miss Foxy
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM

Tracy
Ahh Tracy!! I feel you!! I have never prayed so much and particulary went outta my selfish ways to seek Christ like I do now. I have learned a lot the past few months and I know all my blessings are because of GOD not luck. All those times when I wanted to give up, because of my ex-husbands affair and our divorce something always comforted me and said "stand don't fall." I know who it was..

Crisco
04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Awesome so there is a real interest!

Ok so I'm thinking first we need to choose a book and then work on certain chapters.

James was already a suggestion anyone else have any ideas? Or have a specific topic you want to focus on for our first week?

NateR
04-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Awesome so there is a real interest!

Ok so I'm thinking first we need to choose a book and then work on certain chapters.

James was already a suggestion anyone else have any ideas? Or have a specific topic you want to focus on for our first week?

James would be a good choice. Jude would also be good and has a lot of warnings to the Church that still apply today; but it's just one chapter, so it's really short.

If you want to do an Old Testament book, then I'd suggest Jonah or Daniel. Although Daniel is a prophecy book, it does have some of the more memorable Biblical stories in it.

Llamafighter
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
James would be a good choice. Jude would also be good and has a lot of warnings to the Church that still apply today; but it's just one chapter, so it's really short.

If you want to do an Old Testament book, then I'd suggest Jonah or Daniel. Although Daniel is a prophecy book, it does have some of the more memorable Biblical stories in it.

We can get to all of them sooner or later, shall we start with James?

Miss Foxy
04-13-2009, 08:09 PM
When this bible study does get started can we somehow ban anyone that wants to dispute Christianity. I understand everyone will have different interpretations of how each verse might apply, but last thing I want to see is the great debate over "is there a God or not."

Crisco
04-13-2009, 08:20 PM
When this bible study does get started can we somehow ban anyone that wants to dispute Christianity. I understand everyone will have different interpretations of how each verse might apply, but last thing I want to see is the great debate over "is there a God or not."

Non-believers are encouraged to read with us but at the first sign of disrespect to anyone involved or to the bible I have no issue with getting rid of that person.

James it is then I will start another clean thread I'd ask everyone to avoid posting in it until we have completed James.

Ugh this is the time Mod powers come in Handy :tongue0011: Alas poor Boomer is away..

Tyburn
04-13-2009, 09:17 PM
:w00t: yes please.

Judges is fun to read :laugh:

VCURamFan
04-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm down. This is basically my last big week of school so I'll have plenty oftime to read & participate.

Llamafighter
04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Is there a specific version of the Bible that everyone can agree upon using for these studies? My old student bible will just enrage Nate with all it's sports analogies, and sing along CD :laugh:

Boomer
04-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Is there a specific version of the Bible that everyone can agree upon using for these studies? My old student bible will just enrage Nate with all it's sports analogies, and sing along CD :laugh:

:laugh: I'd just use what you can understand brother. I like the New Living Translation for casual reading that puts many things in cultural language and context. I also like NIV ... those are two solid translations.

Nate can break down the Greek and Hebrew to further our understanding as needed. :laugh:

Llamafighter
04-14-2009, 01:17 PM
:laugh: I'd just use what you can understand brother. I like the New Living Translation for casual reading that puts many things in cultural language and context. I also like NIV ... those are two solid translations.

Nate can break down the Greek and Hebrew to further our understanding as needed. :laugh:

I'll check it out Boomer! I take this as a confirmation of your participation in the study group? :w00t:

Boomer
04-14-2009, 01:35 PM
I'll check it out Boomer! I take this as a confirmation of your participation in the study group? :w00t:

:laugh: No brother. I normally have a standing policy not to get into Spiritual discussions over the Internet. Can never gauge how people are taking or understanding what is being said. I just not comfortable with that. Seen it do more harm then good. :wink: Any Bible study or discussion on Spiritual matters for me are going to be with folks I can look in the eye and know the quality of their character. Most of my life is an open book to anyone I come across in life. My Spirituality is not.

But I will read the study with great interest. :D

Llamafighter
04-14-2009, 02:02 PM
:laugh: No brother. I normally have a standing policy not to get into Spiritual discussions over the Internet. Can never gauge how people are taking or understanding what is being said. I just not comfortable with that. Seen it do more harm then good. :wink: Any Bible study or discussion on Spiritual matters for me are going to be with folks I can look in the eye and know the quality of their character. Most of my life is an open book to anyone I come across in life. My Spirituality is not.

I completely understand. The two things (as a rule) I would never discuss in a bar were religion or politics. It never ended well, and the alcohol tended to escalate every discussion.
I'm going ot take this study as a textual discussion on what is in ink on the page and try to stay away from interpretations and my own opinion. we shall see how long that lasts:)
I look forward to talking to you in Vegas, buddy.

Crisco
04-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I like the New King James version :)

When I first started reading and wanting to learn the bible Ricky got me my first bible and had it engraved to this day it's my favorite and most heartfelt gift I've ever received.

CAVEMAN
04-14-2009, 03:19 PM
May I suggest James. It is a very practical book with a lot of stuff we Christians have stopped practicing in our lives.

:happy0159: :sign0011:

CAVEMAN
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
KJV, NKJV, & NAS are good translations!

mikthehick
04-14-2009, 03:46 PM
NRSV and NIV here, great versions, both of them. It's hard to understand NRSV sometimes, but NIV is in plain English to me.

Cool idea Cris, I look forward to it (don't have time to make the multiple bible studies at my church)....:cool:

VCURamFan
04-14-2009, 03:51 PM
I use the ESV, but I've also got NASB, NKJV, NIV...whatever translation y'all wanna use, I'll do that.

Neezar
04-14-2009, 04:06 PM

I totally understand what you are saying here and respect your decision. However....(you knew that was coming, right? :laugh: )

I would like to see your input on interpretation sometimes. I'm talking about when we are discussing 'what' we think something may have meant or what lesson is to be learned. Sometimes you have a way of saying things that make me look at things with a whole new perspective! I love it!

:biggrin-1:

Neezar
04-14-2009, 04:08 PM
btw, I like this idea. I will be finishing up with Chemistry and History in May and will be able to contribute more.

Crisco
04-14-2009, 04:11 PM
I got the idea from online school... You go to school online because you can't make it to the building but still want to learn...

I still want to read and study the bible in a group but don't have time to join one =)

Who better to study with then the people that helped me get where I am :laugh:

Boomer
04-14-2009, 04:13 PM
I totally understand what you are saying here and respect your decision. However....(you knew that was coming, right? :laugh: )

I would like to see your input on interpretation sometimes. I'm talking about when we are discussing 'what' we think something may have meant or what lesson is to be learned. Sometimes you have a way of saying things that make me look at things with a whole new perspective! I love it!

:biggrin-1:

I hate howevers ... :laugh: Well D this is just my personal convection. Not something I think is a rule for all .... I think its great you guys wanna talk about God together. How's aboot I PM you with my thoughts. :w00t:

Crisco
04-14-2009, 04:14 PM
I hate howevers ... :laugh: Well D this is just my personal convection. Not something I think is a rule for all .... I think its great you guys wanna talk about God together. How's aboot I PM you with my thoughts. :w00t:

Can I get on that list :scared0015: :scared0011: :w00t:

Neezar
04-14-2009, 04:22 PM

Deal!

And I think this is a great rule for you! That makes for your words being listened to more carefully when you do share them! And I shall take your offer of pm's and be thankful! I will pm you when I feel stuck or need a fresh pair of eyes. :) (And feel free to pm me when you think I need a fresh pair of eyes but don't realize it yet. :ninja: )

Hmmmm....I have a feeling that I may regret that last invitation. :laugh:

Boomer
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Deal!

And I think this is a great rule for you! That makes for your words being listened to more carefully when you do share them! And I shall take your offer of pm's and be thankful! I will pm you when I feel stuck or need a fresh pair of eyes. :) (And feel free to pm me when you think I need a fresh pair of eyes but don't realize it yet. :ninja: )

Hmmmm....I have a feeling that I may regret that last invitation. :laugh:

:laugh: nahhhh .. I'm always pretty easy going. :)

And Yes Chris .. you pick my brain too. It will take about 10 secs ... :D

VCURamFan
04-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Deal!

Hmmmm....I have a feeling that I may regret that last invitation. :laugh:After he PMs you, could you post 'em for the rest of us to be able to see?:Whistle::laugh:

warriorlion
04-14-2009, 07:50 PM
Can I get on that list :scared0015: :scared0011: :w00t:

me too please.

I'm up for the bible study. My wife and I have been talking about doing this for ages, if I do it with you guys, I can shadow this study and do it with her too.

Brownie points see (with the wife not with the Big Man)

TexasRN
04-20-2009, 12:16 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be started today? Hurry and say something in that empty thread! I read it and made notes and I am ready.

~Amy

Tyburn
04-20-2009, 12:29 AM
Wasn't this supposed to be started today? Hurry and say something in that empty thread! I read it and made notes and I am ready.

~Amy
you go first :unsure-1:

TexasRN
04-20-2009, 12:34 AM
you go first :unsure-1:

No.

I will say that I enjoyed the reading and reflection though. My fave verses turned out to be 1:26-27, 2:12-13, 2:17, 2:26, 4:8, 4:17 and 5:16. Those verses spoke to me the most. I wrote them down so I could pray over them and learn all I can from them. Dave, go discuss it for me. :laugh:

~Amy

Tyburn
04-20-2009, 12:45 AM
No.

I will say that I enjoyed the reading and reflection though. My fave verses turned out to be 1:26-27, 2:12-13, 2:17, 2:26, 4:8, 4:17 and 5:16. Those verses spoke to me the most. I wrote them down so I could pray over them and learn all I can from them. Dave, go discuss it for me. :laugh:

~Amy
:unsure-1: I dont know where to begin. I was rather hoping to learn from this...rather then to talk about it myself.

I'm not a teacher, I dont know enough stuff to do that :blink:

Crisco
04-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Ok guys. Any suggestions for our second book and I think we should do it by chapter this time to be a bit more organized.

Also if you have yet to post a thought in the official thread please feel free to do so :)

VCURamFan
04-21-2009, 07:53 PM
I think Galatians or Romans would be great. I love studying Paul.