View Full Version : Sherdog MMA rankings

Max
04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Heavyweight

1. Fedor Emelianenko (29-1, 1 NC)
2. Andrei Arlovski (14-6)
3. Josh Barnett (24-5)
4. Frank Mir (12-3)
5. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (31-5-1, 1 NC)
6. Brock Lesnar (3-1)
7. Randy Couture (16-9)
8. Tim Sylvia (24-5)
9. Shane Carwin (11-0)
10. Alistair Overeem (29-11, 1 NC)

Other contenders: Junior dos Santos, Aleksander Emelianenko, Jeff Monson, Ben Rothwell, Fabricio Werdum.
*With the entry of Shane Carwin and a lack of activity against top competition, formerly ninth-ranked Ben Rothwell falls out of the top 10.

Light Heavyweight

1. Rashad Evans (13-0-1)
2. Quinton Jackson (30-7)
3. Forrest Griffin (16-5)
4. Lyoto Machida (14-0)
5. Chuck Liddell (21-6)
6. Wanderlei Silva (32-9-1, 1 NC)
7. Luis Arthur Cane (9-1)
8. Keith Jardine (14-5-1)
9. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira (16-3)
10. Thiago Silva (13-1)

Other contenders: Rich Franklin, Jon Jones, Vladimir Matyushenko, Mauricio Rua, Renato Sobral.

Middleweight

1. Anderson Silva (23-4)
2. Yushin Okami (23-4)
3. Gegard Mousasi (24-2-1)
4. Nate Marquardt (28-8-2)
5. Robbie Lawler (16-4, 1 NC)
6. Dan Henderson (24-7)
7. Demian Maia (10-0)
8. Jorge Santiago (21-7)
9. Thales Leites (14-1)
10. Vitor Belfort (18-8)

Other contenders: Yoshihiro Akiyama, Patrick Cote, Dan Miller, Frank Trigg, Chael Sonnen.

Welterweight

1. Georges St. Pierre (18-2)
2. Thiago Alves (16-3)
3. Jon Fitch (18-3, 1 NC)
4. Jake Shields (22-4-1)
5. Martin Kampmann (15-2)
6. Karo Parisyan (18-5, 1 NC)
7. Paulo Thiago (11-0)
8. Josh Koscheck (12-4)
9. Carlos Condit (22-5)
10. Matt Hughes (42-7)

Other contenders: Marcus Davis, Dan Hardy, Jay Hieron, Mike Swick, Nick Thompson.
*With the entry of Martin Kampmann, previously No. 10 ranked Nick Thompson slips outside of the top-10.

Lightweight

1. B.J. Penn (13-5-1)
2. Shinya Aoki (20-4, 1 NC)
3. Eddie Alvarez (16-2)
4. Joachim Hansen (19-7-1)
5. Gesias Cavalcante (14-2-1, 1 NC)
6. Sean Sherk (33-3-1)
7. Kenny Florian (11-3)
8. Satoru Kitaoka (24-8-9)
9. Josh Thomson (16-2, 1 NC)
10. Gray Maynard (7-0, 1 NC)

Other contenders: Tatsuya Kawajiri, Gilbert Melendez, Jim Miller, Eiji Mitsuoka, Jamie Varner.
*With the entry of Gray Maynard, formerly No. 10 ranked Tatsuya Kawajiri falls outside the top-10.

Max
04-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Why is Karo ranked that high??? The guy has not won a fight since 11/17/2007

matthughesfan21
04-07-2009, 07:06 PM
those rankings are garbage

rockdawg21
04-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Idiots!

Heavyweights
Looks pretty good IMO - nice to see Carwin up there. He really impressed me in his last win.

Light Heavyweights
Rich Franklin isn't a MW anymore? I'd also think he'd still be top 10 LHW. If I'm correct, he's never lost at that weight?

Middleweights
Good list

Welterweights
Who has Jake Shields fought?
Karo that high above Hughes? Boy Sherdog really hates on Matt!

Lightweight
Sure seems to be a lot of LW talent outside of the UFC.

matthughesfan21
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Idiots!

Heavyweights
Looks pretty good IMO - nice to see Carwin up there. He really impressed me in his last win.

Light Heavyweights
Rich Franklin isn't a MW anymore? I'd also think he'd still be top 10 LHW. If I'm correct, he's never lost at that weight?

Middleweights
Good list

Welterweights
Who has Jake Shields fought?
Karo that high above Hughes? Boy Sherdog really hates on Matt!

Lightweight
Sure seems to be a lot of LW talent outside of the UFC.my main problem is with WW, not just because matt being so low, even though I disagree with that as well...Shields at 4, no, Kampmann shouldn't be that high, Karo shouldn't be that high, Condit shouldn't be above Matt...WW is a disaster IMO...LW, Aoki should not still be number 2, he should have never been there to begin with

Hughes_GOAT
04-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Light Heavyweights
If I'm correct, he's never lost at that weight?

Machida KO'd him

rockdawg21
04-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Machida KO'd him
Oh wow, didn't know that!

my main problem is with WW, not just because matt being so low, even though I disagree with that as well...Shields at 4, no, Kampmann shouldn't be that high, Karo shouldn't be that high, Condit shouldn't be above Matt...WW is a disaster IMO...LW, Aoki should not still be number 2, he should have never been there to begin with
Yeah, my problem is the WW list as well. Shields and Karo on that list is a joke. Only people who belong above Hughes is GSP, Alves, Fitch, Thiago, and a BIG maybe, Koschek. Hughes is still #5 or #6 on that list. Sherdog just wants him off of there. At least they got ride of Serra, lol

Hughes_GOAT
04-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Oh wow, didn't know that!

http://www.myvideofight.com/video/pride/pride-ryoto-lyoto-machida-vs-rich-franklin/index-5.html

Llamafighter
04-07-2009, 07:58 PM
Matt should be #3 or at least 4:angry: . Koschek and Fitch both lost to GSP, so did Matt, but Matt has a 1st round victory over him.
Just looking at the records it's almost laughable that they put Matt at 10. 7 losses for all those fights?
I guess I'm preaching ot the choir!:)

Miss Foxy
04-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Matt should be #3 or at least 4:angry: . Koschek and Fitch both lost to GSP, so did Matt, but Matt has a 1st round victory over him.
Just looking at the records it's almost laughable that they put Matt at 10. 7 losses for all those fights?
Its ok preach on, preach on!!! How frustrating that they did that to Matt.. Uggg.. Aside from being a fan credit must be given where credit is due..... This is unjust!!!!!!!:punch:

logrus
04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Welterweight list is so F$%ed up its not even funny. KApmann, Karo, Kos, Jake, that high. What the F@#$ is up with that. At least the other lists are are pretty spot on, so why is this list so screwed.

Another issue I have is Kenny being so low on the list considering he pretty much beats everyone by tap or lights out, #7 is a bit to low.

Tyburn
04-07-2009, 09:26 PM
since when has anyone cared for sherdogs opinion :blink:

rearnakedchoke
04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
rankings are pretty good ... WW is off ... i am pretty objective and karo, condit and shields are ranked way too high ...

Hughes_GOAT
04-07-2009, 09:33 PM
well they had a poll on there about who the most dominant champ in UFC history is and Matt won.

bj44
04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
yeah but matt hasnt won a fight in 2 years.

Hes been to inactive to be that high in the rankings

rearnakedchoke
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM

i would say

gsp
fitch
alves

after that is pretty tough ... don't know ... i guess i wouldn't put karo there and kos lost his last fight ... thiago has one win in the ufc ... shields hasn't fought anyone, matt hasn't won in a while, serra won't win in a while, kampmann and condit didn't do themselves a favour in their last fight ... yeah, i guess this is tough ....

Hughes_GOAT
04-07-2009, 09:42 PM

http://dansansworld.com/images/flamesuit.jpg

Miss Foxy
04-07-2009, 10:00 PM

First of all take Matts wins and his losses and do the math..Not bad huh? How bout them other guys? Exactly my point!!!!!!!!!:muttering:

bj44
04-07-2009, 10:42 PM
First of all take Matts wins and his losses and do the math..Not bad huh? How bout them other guys? Exactly my point!!!!!!!!!:muttering:
Matts the greatest ww of all time bar none but to be top 5 in the rankings of a weight class you have to fight... Randy was taken out of the hw rankings completely when he went a year without fighting... Matt hasnt fought in almost a year and hasnt won a fight in over two. This doesnt effect his legacy whatsoever but of course its gonna effect his ranking.

bj44
04-07-2009, 10:47 PM
1. GSP
2. Alves
3. Fitch
4. Thiago
5. Koscheck
6. kampmann
7. Hughes
8. Shields
9. condit
10. swick

my ww ranks

Chuck
04-07-2009, 10:57 PM
The WW rankings do look like crap...:angry:

I think Matt is easily #5 with a strong argument for #4. :cool:

matthughesfan21
04-07-2009, 11:15 PM
1. GSP
2. Alves
3. Fitch
4. Thiago
5. Koscheck
6. kampmann
7. Hughes
8. Shields
9. condit
10. swick

my ww ranks
so Thiago gets number 4 for looking horrible against Kos until he caught him with one punch, and Kampmann gets 6 because he beat a WEC'er?

Max
04-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Ok let me run down why some of the rankings are what they are.

First off, Rich has decided to move up to LHW, that is why Sherdog has him ranked there.

As for WW. The rankings are not about what a fighter has done over his whole career, it abotu how good the fighters are right now. Like BJ pointed out, MAtt has not fought in almost a year (in most ranking systems inactivity drops a fighter down the rankings) and he is 1-3 in his last 4 fights. Once Matt beats Serra Im sure he will jump back up to 5 or 6. Shields has won 11 in a row and in that time has beat Condit, Okami and Charuto. As much as I dont like the guy he should be ranked i nthe top 5 untill he gets beat. I think that Karo should be off the list and everyone under him should be moved up one spot.

As for LW, why the hell should Aoki not be #2? The onlny person I could see being ranked above him is Hansen, but Hansen lost to Alvarez and Aoki crushed Alvarez. Aoki is clearly the 2nd best LW in the world and you can make a strong case for him being #1. Now I know somone is going to point out his loss to Mach, but that was at WW, you cant drop Aoki in the LW rankings because he lost a fight at WW. As for why there are som many non-UFC fighters in the top 5. Well thats becasue DREAM might have the best LW fighters in the world right now.

bj44
04-08-2009, 07:00 PM
so Thiago gets number 4 for looking horrible against Kos until he caught him with one punch, and Kampmann gets 6 because he beat a WEC'er?
that wec was already in the top 10 before the fight. So yes beating him warrants him a top 10 spot.

bj44
04-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Ok let me run down why some of the rankings are what they are.

First off, Rich has decided to move up to LHW, that is why Sherdog has him ranked there.

As for WW. The rankings are not about what a fighter has done over his whole career, it abotu how good the fighters are right now. Like BJ pointed out, MAtt has not fought in almost a year (in most ranking systems inactivity drops a fighter down the rankings) and he is 1-3 in his last 4 fights. Once Matt beats Serra Im sure he will jump back up to 5 or 6. Shields has won 11 in a row and in that time has beat Condit, Okami and Charuto. As much as I dont like the guy he should be ranked i nthe top 5 untill he gets beat. I think that Karo should be off the list and everyone under him should be moved up one spot.

As for LW, why the hell should Aoki not be #2? The onlny person I could see being ranked above him is Hansen, but Hansen lost to Alvarez and Aoki crushed Alvarez. Aoki is clearly the 2nd best LW in the world and you can make a strong case for him being #1. Now I know somone is going to point out his loss to Mach, but that was at WW, you cant drop Aoki in the LW rankings because he lost a fight at WW. As for why there are som many non-UFC fighters in the top 5. Well thats becasue DREAM might have the best LW fighters in the world right now.
agrees although aoki's style would not work as well in the ufc while some dream fighters would atually benefit from the cage such as ishida and kawajiri

matthughesfan21
04-08-2009, 07:27 PM
that wec was already in the top 10 before the fight. So yes beating him warrants him a top 10 spot.but 6? thats a little high, and I don't think condit can hang withe upper level guys in the ufc, I think soon enough he will be out of that top 10

bj44
04-08-2009, 07:39 PM
but 6? thats a little high, and I don't think condit can hang withe upper level guys in the ufc, I think soon enough he will be out of that top 10
you make it seem like condit hasnt beaten any good fighters in his career

hes beaten trigg, alessio, larson, churuto hes beaten good fighters and deserves his top 10 ranking.