PDA

View Full Version : Baptism

atomdanger
04-05-2009, 12:55 AM
Alright, you guys are like my christian support group,
so I was wondering how many of you are baptized? and how important you think it is?

I was baptized, but my son hasn't been yet, his mom and I were having a talk about it today, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on baptism were.

NateR
04-05-2009, 01:45 AM
so I was wondering how many of you are baptized? and how important you think it is?

I was baptized, but my son hasn't been yet, his mom and I were having a talk about it today, so I was wondering what everyone's opinion on baptism were.

Are you talking about infant baptism? Well, that's essentially worthless. It has no biblical basis.

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 02:41 AM
I know a lot of Baptists baptize at age 12 or 13. What age, as for the bible, would be the age to be baptized, Nathan?

atomdanger
04-05-2009, 03:23 AM
I know a lot of Baptists baptize at age 12 or 13. What age, as for the bible, would be the age to be baptized, Nathan?

Good question....

NateR
04-05-2009, 03:38 AM

Jesus got baptized at the age of 30; but there is no set age for baptism. It's something you do after getting born-again, which could happen at any time in your life.

Chuck
04-05-2009, 04:06 AM

I was baptized shortly after I became a Christian. I don't believe it was necessary or part of my salvation but more sybolic in nature. It gave me an opportunity even in a small way to follow in Christ's footsteps. To me that's what made it special.

I'm sure you've heard it described this way before but they say baptism is an outward sign of an inward change. I like that description. There was something encouraging about emerging from the water as a "new man" in Christ. Purely symbolic... but still encouraging.

My thoughts anyway... We did have all four of our children dedicated when they were younger which might be similar to a child being baptized but not quite the same thing.

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 04:30 AM
Say, you've accepted Christ as your Saviour (Savior), that he died on the cross for our sins, and consider yourself born-again, but have not been formally baptized (as an adult) and then you die--will this prevent you from getting into Heaven? :unsure-1:

Chuck
04-05-2009, 04:51 AM
Say, you've accepted Christ as your Saviour (Savior), that he died on the cross for our sins, and consider yourself born-again, but have not been formally baptized (as an adult) and then you die--will this prevent you from getting into Heaven? :unsure-1:

Some denominations believe so but I personally don't. I have never found conclusive scripture that says baptizm is necessary for salvation. To me baptism is symbolic in nature.. not sanctifying.

atomdanger
04-05-2009, 07:11 AM
Jesus got baptized at the age of 30; but there is no set age for baptism. It's something you do after getting born-again, which could happen at any time in your life.

Ahhhh thank you Nate

warriorlion
04-05-2009, 11:49 AM

No I dont believe that it will, there is no biblical standing that says you must be baptised to be savd, however it is something that Jesus said that we should do, believe and be baptised, its about nailing your colours to the mast, showing the world outwardly where you stand. Like Nate said infant batisim is worthless as there is no choice on the part of the person, but choosing to be baptised I believe is important in that you are being obedient to Jesus. ANd after all if it was the right thing for Him to do, then shouldnt we as believer feel that its the right thing for us.

I personally decided to get baptised a little while after I became a christian as I felt it was the one thing that I could do to say thank you to God for, not that I felt that I had to, but that I wanted to give something back to God for all He had done for me up to that point and for all He would do for me as the years went past. The only thing I could do was a public show of where I stad. Nailed my colours to the mast.

Chris F
04-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Jesus, Paul, Peter, John the Baptist all said REPENT and be baptized. A n infant or child is uncapable to repent because they are not knowledgeable of their sin. SO the right age is when a child can understand right from wrong. If you have kids or know one who does you know a 2 year old does not need ot be taught to steal or lie. They just do they take the cooikie then denie it. But eventually they realize it is wrong that is when they should be baptized after they recieve Chrsit.

Chris F
04-05-2009, 03:15 PM

No. That woul dbe a work and Bible says it is not by works lest any man shall boast.

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 06:27 PM

Well...in the Anglican Church there are two types of Baptism.

The first is known as "infant baptism" its where you baptize a baby. Of course the baby is to young to make its mind up, so the importance of an Infant Baptism is more for the parents then the Child. it forces the parents to make a public declairation that they will do all they can to bring the Child up within the Church.

like most people, I was Baptised in 1982.

"Confirmation" This is known as "Adult Baptism" this allows someone who has never been baptized, or who wishes to make the decision for themselves, a chance to make a public declairation. Sometimes it involves full body emmersion, sometimes it involves annointing with oil

Child Baptisms can be performed by Priests, but Adult Baptisms are usually performed within the pressence of the Bishop of the Area. Its considered a little more seriously, as the person being baptised has aggreed to it themselves.

I was Confirmed by The Lord Bishop of London, in Saint Paul's Cathedral on All Saints day, 2003 (it was an oil annointing, not immersion)

Now there are many theological concepts surrounding Baptism. Firstly, in England, Baptisms are also records of the State becuase Anglicanism is sponcered by The Crown. People used to use it almost in place of a record of Birth. Secondly, there is a theology that says it doesnt mean a lot for a Child to be baptized as firstly its not their choice, and secondly, children below the age of 13 are considered automatic entrants to Heaven because they are unable to decide for themselves, due to not being able to understand the gravity of Christ clearly enough.

After the age of accountability, they must be saved. But bear in mind, being Saved and being Baptised are two different things. No ceremony the Church offers can give you salvation. Adult Baptism is therefore not needed for salvation, its merely about Public confession of Faith. The reason we do it is because as Christ himself was adult baptized, evidently, the public aspect of standing up for Christ is something to be aspired to...and this is a way of doing it.

So baptism is more or less a choice. It cant harm you, but neither can it save you.

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 06:30 PM
Not at all.

Acceptance of Christ is what saves....Baptism is merely a public confession of Faith.

So long as you are "Saved" you are going to heaven. Baptism cant save you. So better to be saved and not baptised, then baptized but not saved. :laugh:

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Like Nate said infant batisim is worthless
Not worthless for the parents though. :ninja:

Makes them promise infront of the Church to do all they can to raise the Child in the Christian Faith...they publically express THEIR possition in child rearing.

perhaps its more beneficial for the parents then the infant :ninja:

VCURamFan
04-06-2009, 12:17 AM
I disagree with Nate & Warrior on this, actually. I personally believe in infant baptism because I believe that it's a mark of being a covenant child (the child of a believer). Much like circumcision in the Old Testament was a sign placed on a child to set him a part as a member of God chosen people, I believe that baptizing a child is a way of setting him apart for the Lord & laying claim, on the child's behalf, the many promises God make to the children of believers.

All that being said, if someone was not a covenant child & is converted, I do believe that they should then be baptized. Also, I probably did a messy job conveying what I mean, so I'm going to take a little time to write up a more formal (i.e. not sloppy) version.

NateR
04-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I disagree with Nate & Warrior on this, actually. I personally believe in infant baptism because I believe that it's a mark of being a covenant child (the child of a believer). Much like circumcision in the Old Testament was a sign placed on a child to set him a part as a member of God chosen people, I believe that baptizing a child is a way of setting him apart for the Lord & laying claim, on the child's behalf, the many promises God make to the children of believers.

All that being said, if someone was not a covenant child & is converted, I do believe that they should then be baptized. Also, I probably did a messy job conveying what I mean, so I'm going to take a little time to write up a more formal (i.e. not sloppy) version.

You'd need to show some Biblical support of that. It sounds like a nice church tradition, but I have never found anything in the Bible that supports infant baptism.

Chuck
04-06-2009, 12:29 AM

I think that's what most people in mainstream Christianity would call getting your child dedicated.

Do you think that being baptized as an infant assures salvation??

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 12:45 AM
Do you think that being baptized as an infant assures salvation??
Children are covered by the age of accountability whether they are baptized or not

VCURamFan
04-06-2009, 12:50 AM
You'd need to show some Biblical support of that. It sounds like a nice church tradition, but I have never found anything in the Bible that supports infant baptism. O, I know. Like I said, I need to write up a clearer & Scripture-based explanation. It's just gonna take me a little bit.

I think that's what most people in mainstream Christianity would call getting your child dedicated.

Do you think that being baptized as an infant assures salvation??No, I don't. Did it come across that way? If so, sorry. Like I said, my first responses on topics like this are usually fairly haphazard & ill-worded.

que
04-06-2009, 04:29 AM
i was baptized when i was younger after i came to know Jesus Christ. it is my opinion that baptism is nothing more than a religious ritual.

as far as securing your place in heaven, or as far as securing your riches or "brownie points" in heaven, or on earth, it means nothing... and will do neither.

Chuck
04-06-2009, 12:27 PM
No, I don't. Did it come across that way? If so, sorry. Like I said, my first responses on topics like this are usually fairly haphazard & ill-worded.

No it didn't really come across that way.. I was just seeking clarification.

warriorlion
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I would call what Dave(Tyburn) described Dedication. I believe that baptism is about a personal declaration of faith publically, and I believe that young children often can not make that decision for themselves, as traditionally in my experience infant baptism is done to babies.

dedication on the other hand is when believing and God fearing parents dedicate their lives to raising their children to know God, and to raise them as christian.

I personally see dedication as being much what VCU was talking about, that parents choose to dedicate their baby to God. For me when I get my daugther dedicated, I will see it as a time when I set her apart for the Lord.

But thats my view on it. I know that the only reference I have come across in the bible about baptism is about when someone gets saved. Like the Eunuch (spelling) that got baptised in a puddle on the side of the road. As far as I am aware there is nothing in the bible about baptising infants

Chris F
04-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Christian Baptism was a growth from what John the Baptist did which was a Essenic/Jewish cleansing ritual. It was a sign to God showing they are seeking a newness of life. It was typical for gentiles and other non Jews to be baptized prior to their adult circumcision. Christians kept it because Jesus himself demonstrated for us and we believe it is important part of our Christian walk. 2nd Century Christians began doing to infants instead of circumcision and infant baptism stuck with Catholic tradition. About 10 denominations practice it, but most just dedicate their kids.

Miss Foxy
04-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I think we baptize our kids in my family as tradition not religion. I only had 1 of my children baptized in the Catholic Church. I am not bashing religions, but I attend non-denom Christian Church now so I don't feel the need or see the need to baptize my 6 yr old. Goodluck with whatever decision you and your childs mother make :)

cubsfan47
04-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Here is a link to a Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_baptism) about infant baptism. I believe it is well balanced and pretty thorough.

I was baptized as an infant, and I have been asked to serve as a godparent in an upcoming baptism. When I have attended such things in the past I have always felt His presence. So I don't think He disapproves.

However, I have studied about this and have an open mind. Does an infant have to be baptized? No, but a believer should be eventually. Should it have to be by water? Well Christ submitted to it so that settles for me; except that baptism by the spirit does in fact happen.

So I don't know. I don't think it does any harm. If you believe in the practice, then you should follow it up with a confirmation as do most groups that practice it.

Mark
04-15-2009, 02:20 AM
I think we baptize our kids in my family as tradition not religion. I only had 1 of my children baptized in the Catholic Church. I am not bashing religions, but I attend non-denom Christian Church now so I don't feel the need or see the need to baptize my 6 yr old. Goodluck with whatever decision you and your childs mother make :)
Baptism is a decision for the baptized to make, not the mother. Mark

Tyburn
04-15-2009, 11:58 AM
Only if the Child is above the age of accountability.

Otherwise, everything is the choice of the Parent or Guardian.

As the Baptism is just a ceremony that is nothing more then the profession of the Faith, it doesnt matter if one gets baptized on the choice of their parents, baptized on their own choice, or never baptized at all.

You cant be saved by having your head, body...or whatever, dunked in water or soaked in oil....although the Church would probably like you to believe otherwise depending on which denominations...Obviously Baptists do think highly of Baptism...and Roman Catholics believe they probably have power over baptism...but...thats the fallen Church for you :laugh:

Miss Foxy
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
I agree. That is why I did not have my son baptized. I believe that shall be his decision.

Mark
04-15-2009, 11:58 PM
[QUOTE=Tyburn]Only if the Child is above the age of accountability.

As the Baptism is just a ceremony that is nothing more then the profession of the Faith, it doesnt matter if one gets baptized on the choice of their parents, baptized on their own choice, or never baptized at all.

I think you are wrong. 1 Peter 3:20, 21 Who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water. and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also-not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of good conscience toward god. It saves you by the resurection of jesus christ. Mark

Tyburn
04-16-2009, 11:40 AM
[QUOTE=Tyburn]Only if the Child is above the age of accountability.

I think you are wrong. 1 Peter 3:20, 21 Who disobeyed long ago when God waited patiently in the days of Noah while the ark was being built. In it only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water. and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also-not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of good conscience toward god. It saves you by the resurection of jesus christ. Mark

Yes...and the Noahs Ark is the Mirror Symbolism to Baptism no doubt.

BUT: Christ Saves People...The Church CANNOT save people.

It isnt good enough to be Baptised by Water, if you are not Baptized by The Spirit....and the two arent Mutually Exclusive. Neither do they allways, or mostly happen together.

Do you believe that one HAS to be Baptised in WATER during a Church Ceremony to be Saved. :huh:

Do you believe Profession of Faith alone through the Church Saves :huh:

I mean...Roman Catholics might believe that. But I totally dissagree..And I shall tell you why. Baptism is a Sacrement. This means it is a Gift from GOD. The Church does not have power over the Sacrements. Not Even Saint Peter had power over the Sacrements...but they like to forget that. The Keys to the Kingdom...are not the same, as controlling a Gift from GOD.

So...it works the same as a marriage. If the parents Baptise the child as an infant, and profess, but do not believe, they are not saved, and niether is the child. No Child is ever saved by infant Baptism, and no Parent ever saved by a true profession of Faith.

Outward apperances can be deceiving...thats why GOD looks at the heart.

GOD Saves...The Church Pretends to. Thats the Truth when it comes to Baptism. If Christ Baptises you with Spirit, you are Saved. If The Church Baptizes you with Water...you are not.

Mark
04-17-2009, 12:39 AM
[QUOTE=Mark]

Yes...and the Noahs Ark is the Mirror Symbolism to Baptism no doubt.

BUT: Christ Saves People...The Church CANNOT save people.

Is not the church the house of God? Can christ save people through the church? Get my point?

It isnt good enough to be Baptised by Water, if you are not Baptized by The Spirit....and the two arent Mutually Exclusive. Neither do they allways, or mostly happen together.

1 Peter 3:21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you. The water is the symbol, It could be spit if you believe in your heart.

Do you believe that one HAS to be Baptised in WATER during a Church Ceremony to be Saved. :huh:
No, two Sundays ago four people were baptised in our pond.

Do not know how you define profession of faith. I believe If you confess with your mouth, and believe in you heart you are saved.

I mean...Roman Catholics might believe that. But I totally dissagree..And I shall tell you why. Baptism is a Sacrement. This means it is a Gift from GOD. The Church does not have power over the Sacrements. Not Even Saint Peter had power over the Sacrements...but they like to forget that. The Keys to the Kingdom...are not the same, as controlling a Gift from GOD.

So...it works the same as a marriage. If the parents Baptise the child as an infant, and profess, but do not believe, they are not saved, and niether is the child. No Child is ever saved by infant Baptism, and no Parent ever saved by a true profession of Faith.

Parents cannot save you.

Outward apperances can be deceiving...thats why GOD looks at the heart.

True

GOD Saves...The Church Pretends to. Thats the Truth when it comes to Baptism. If Christ Baptises you with Spirit, you are Saved. If The Church Baptizes you with Water...you are not.

The water is just a symbol. Mark

NateR
04-17-2009, 01:48 AM

Dave, you're going to have to define what exactly you mean by "Profession of Faith." We might be using different terminology to define the same thing.

Tyburn
04-17-2009, 12:21 PM
[QUOTE=Tyburn]

The water is just a symbol. Mark
Yes, I aggree. Whilst useful...not entirely essential.

Why have the symbol of baptism by being watered....when GOD will give you real Baptism (with no symbol) in spirit and fire.

Thats why I said...I dont think Baptism in a church matters to much :)

Tyburn
04-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Dave, you're going to have to define what exactly you mean by "Profession of Faith." We might be using different terminology to define the same thing.
Well...Profession of Faith, is what someone does at Baptism. They are asked to answer specific questions. Which basically tells the world they have made vows to be Christians.

To say "I'm A Christian" is a Profession of Faith.

But that doesnt save you. Calling yourself a Christian, and saying it to loads of people publically...wont suddenly make you saved.

Christians are saved by Faith...NOT by Professing their Faith (I mean, they should profess it also...but the profession alone, wont save...whereas the faith alone will)

Does that help...or no :huh: