PDA

View Full Version : The Purple Martin, and the United States

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 08:40 PM
There is a Bird, native to the Amazon, that migrates North to the United States during certain parts of the year. Rather then nest in the forrest with the rest of the creatures, for some unknown reason huge tremendous flocks gather and decend on nearby oil rigs along the river side. The reason why these birds would leave the forrest for the heat and noise of an oil refinery is not known

However...

when they travel to the United States, these Birds have become tame, en masse, so much so they no longer nest in the wild, instead they depend upon the People of the South to provide giant Bird Boxes that can house hundreds

...The Hospitality of the United States it would seem, is extended to birds aswell...We're talking about Bird Boxes that can be lowered from high stands, or wires that can hold loads of egg like balls, in which the birds can nest...its fantastic :laugh:

Anyone help house Purple Martins :huh:

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 09:02 PM
Sorry I have never heard of these birds. You really like birds huh?

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Sorry I have never heard of these birds. You really like birds huh?
they hold a great deal of symbolic value for me, yes :)

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 10:39 PM
they hold a great deal of symbolic value for me, yes :)
Thats nice..Birds are pretty.. I especially like doves....Thats about all I know about birds my granny had some porcelain doves and she always would say how they must have theyre chests touching? I never understood, but I always think of her when I see doves..

Tyburn
04-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Its all because of my pet Budgie. Jens has opened my eyes to Birds :)

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 12:20 AM
Well, I've never heard them called "purple" Martins...just Martins.

My neighbor back home in Beaumont would put up his "Martin" birdhouse each year and then take it down after they had come and gone. :)

TexasRN
04-05-2009, 12:54 AM
If I was still in TX I might have to go bird hunting. And take video for Dave. :fighting0023:

~Amy

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 02:36 AM
Have you ever watched Alfred Hitchcock's, "The Birds", Dave. :scared0015:

Just imagine thousands of Jens dive-bombing you. :scared0011:

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Have you ever watched Alfred Hitchcock's, "The Birds", Dave. :scared0015:

Just imagine thousands of Jens dive-bombing you. :scared0011:
:scared0011: ONE is quite enough :laugh:

Moose
04-06-2009, 02:16 PM
As far as they know, the Purple Martin has always been dependent on humans for shelter. The Indians used to hang hollowed out gourds to house them.

I like birds too, but F that symbolism noise.

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 02:39 PM
As far as they know, the Purple Martin has always been dependent on humans for shelter. The Indians used to hang hollowed out gourds to house them.

I like birds too, but F that symbolism noise.
no see...its the other way round. The birds were independant until the Indians tried to encourage them. Now they are dependant :laugh:

...and I know Birds can make lots of noise...but I find it relaxing :happydancing:

medic92
04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
They're referred to as purple martEns here. They're highly valued because they eat amazing amounts of mosquitoes. Come on over to Griggsville, IL and you'll see birdhouse towers all over the town for the purple martens. The town is well-known for their affinity for the little suckers.

Deerstabber
04-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I hit one with a golf club once. It was an amazing shot. Exploded that sucker everywhere.

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 06:18 PM
:mellow: Thats just horrible :sick:

I hit one with a golf club once. It was an amazing shot. Exploded that sucker everywhere.