PDA

View Full Version : Obamas wife touched The Queen...inappropriately!

Tyburn
04-02-2009, 10:50 PM
:laugh:

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/04/02/1875277.aspx

:ninja: Someone should tell her that you arent supposed to touch the Royals. But Her Majesty is quite used to dealing with Americans so it would seem :w00t:

The simple rule is just not to get upset if they dont follow ettiquette. Americans on the whole dont :rolleyes: :laugh: (sorry I should say, there are many notourious cases where they havent :ninja: )

But notice...Elizabeth didnt have her gloves on for the official handshake, but by the time Obama was...erm touching her, the Gloves were back on. She obviously sees Michelle as more approchable then the President. She speaks to, and provides council to a lot of important people behind the scenes...if its true she really went as far as to ask Michelle to stay in touch with her..its because there is something The Queen feels the need to keep tabs on, and a place she feels she might be able to offer council.

Vizion
04-02-2009, 11:02 PM
I say they imprison her for such an offence.

:angry:

no, seriously...

Tyburn
04-02-2009, 11:05 PM

no, seriously...
She'd be of more use to HM The Queen, in returning to America alongside her husband :ninja:

Actually...I do believe that her Husband is off to Strassburg next for some other conference :unsure:

rockdawg21
04-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I say they imprison both of them for giving her an iPod as a gift.

Miss Foxy
04-02-2009, 11:10 PM
I kinda feel bad for her she didnt have bad intentions. I probably would have goofed up too. Go easy on her guys. She's not a bad lady just married to Obama.

Miss Foxy
04-02-2009, 11:12 PM

no, seriously...
spell check... Offense

Tyburn
04-02-2009, 11:13 PM
I kinda feel bad for her she didnt have bad intentions. I probably would have goofed up too. Go easy on her guys. She's not a bad lady just married to Obama.

Miss Foxy
04-02-2009, 11:16 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Lol.. I know I know.. I admire her as a mother. I think his family shouldnt be included in the Obama bashing is all.. Just like Scarface/Tony Montana says they dont mess with women or kids...

Bonnie
04-02-2009, 11:21 PM
I think you should contact Mrs. Obama, Dave, and inform her of the proper protocol. You're the Brit so I think it would have more weight coming from you rather than one of us mannerless uncouth Americans. I think after you got through with her, she'd never forget. :wink:

I think the next time the Prez and Mrs. hop the pond for a visit they should tape a sign to HRM's royal behind that says, "Can't Touch This". :laugh:

Moose
04-02-2009, 11:52 PM
Royals are 500 years outdated and unneeded.

Yes, some people are just better for no reason. Seriously though?

NateR
04-03-2009, 12:06 AM

You really shouldn't be so intolerant of other cultures. :tongue0011:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 12:17 AM
:laugh: its okay...he's American :laugh: its just cultural confidence :laugh:

You know I joke with you guys...to be honnest...I just think you are all fantastic. Americans are different...and I find them refreshing...You never feel depressed or lonely around Americans...at least that is my personal experience....yes...occasionally they come across as a little superior...occasionally they accident forget themselves and where they are...but its not done with malicious intent...They are just easily excitable :w00t:

also....its true what they say about America...Everything is bigger....I know...I've been there once before....even their bottle and cans of Pop have MORE ml of fluid in then ours :happydancing:

Moose
04-03-2009, 12:23 AM

You're right.

que
04-03-2009, 12:43 AM
You never feel depressed or lonely around Americans
um, yes you do. lol

chatting with them on the internet and visiting them for a couple days at a time is ALOT different my friend. try living in america and your tune will quickly change. i hate to break it to you

logrus
04-03-2009, 12:44 AM
Heh who cares about etiquette, maybe she should direct it towards all the F$%tards shes related to.

J.B.
04-03-2009, 01:43 AM

I agree.

Who cares if somebody put their hand on the Queen's back? Seriously, their are so many more things in this world to gripe about. I realize that it is tradition and part of the culture, but people take it WAY to seriously. Times change, people change.

Some stupid terrorist loving reporter whips his shoes at our leader and 90% of our country laughed their ass off. Somebody touches the Queen "inappropriately" and Britain is up in arms. I just don't get it.

Moose
04-03-2009, 01:50 AM
Some stupid terrorist loving reporter whips his shoes at our leader and 90% of our country laughed their ass off. Somebody touches the Queen "inappropriately" and Britain is up in arms. I just don't get it.
That was funny though. I like the memes it provided, the one with the Pokemon balls was the best.

atomdanger
04-03-2009, 02:39 AM
You aren't suppose to touch the Royals?

I don't understand.

bradwright
04-03-2009, 02:47 AM
I agree.

Who cares if somebody put their hand on the Queen's back? Seriously, their are so many more things in this world to gripe about. I realize that it is tradition and part of the culture, but people take it WAY to seriously. Times change, people change.

i really dont think Britain as a reflection of its people are up in arms,just Dave.:laugh:

County Mike
04-03-2009, 02:48 AM
Royals? Screw those faggoty bitches.

bradwright
04-03-2009, 02:49 AM
you crack me up,:laugh:

Jonlion
04-03-2009, 10:46 AM

That made me laugh too!

I can assure you no one is up in arms over this, i couldn't care less!

Also not a judgement upon the Obama's but i was informed that someone interning there, who started their place under the Bush administration, and she said they were all a lovely family, really friendly to all etc etc.

Well as Michelle Obama come down the stairs, she abruptly told this intern "to get out of my way"

Now, maybe she was having a bad, maybe it was misunderstood but she may well not be as nice as we all perceive!

J.B.
04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
i really dont think Britain as a reflection of its people are up in arms,just Dave.:laugh:

You are probably right on the whole, but enough people are riled about it to make a wave in our national news. Which is funny. :laugh:

I say, who cares?

Like Elvis said, "we can't go on together with suspicious minds"
http://d21c.com/Cologal/Elvis/Elvis_6.jpg

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
I agree.

Its like this

when your a visitor in our country, you follow our rules. Its about being polite, manners cost nothing. You might think there is more to life then complaining about an act of rudeness...but its not much to ask of the Presidents Wife...

If you had the Prime Minister in your country, and he did something unconstitutional...how would you feel? How would you then feel if people in England were like "well its only a constitution, its not even that old, there is far more to complain about then a brit breaking the constitution on a visit to the United States"

There are all kinds of rules, that they will have been briefed on. Michelle would have been told not to inappropriately touch the Queen. Its not like she didnt know, or wasnt told. She probably forgot, and probably didnt really think it important.

There are other rules...rules I had to learn when working at Saint Paul's Cathedral, about not turning your back to certain people. I remember once when I forgot, I had just led in London for a Friday Eucharist, and we bowed infront of the Altar, then we were supposed to bow to each other...He bowed to me, but I walked away...so he Bowed to my back :unsure-1:

He actually asked the Canon Precentor if he had done something to offend me, because what I did by turning away was unspeakably rude, and, uncommon for me.

I'd just forgotten...and I went and appologised after the service of course :)

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 01:25 PM
You aren't suppose to touch the Royals?

I don't understand.
:ninja: No. You arent supposed to touch the Queen. She is the "embodiment of the Country"

You dont speak to her unless she starts a conversation. You dont touch her unless she offers you her hand. when in her presence, you dont turn your back on her, (when you want to leave, either follow or walk next to her...or walk backwards away from her) and when greeting her, you must bow.

She wears gloves most of the time so she cant be touched. its probably about old Purity Laws...but she is a very important person, like a living relic, she must be treated with a certain amount of reverence :laugh: She Personifies more then One Thousand Years of Monarchy, She represents a Nation which has rulled over a third of the World with an Empire. That is what you are Addressing...your not just approaching a person...your approaching "The Crown" thats the whole legacy of this country, back to the Romans.

So...we ask for a little respect hahahaha

Jonlion
04-03-2009, 01:29 PM
Its following protocol like that, that makes people want to oust the royals.

Michelle is the first lady and entirely equal to the Queen.

For me there is no issue, no rule she has to follow.

The Queen needs to be seen as more personable and approachable.

Let me just state, that myself, none of my friends or any of my family are even the slightest put out by this!

Jonlion
04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
:ninja: No. You arent supposed to touch the Queen. She is the "embodiment of the Country"

You dont speak to her unless she starts a conversation. You dont touch her unless she offers you her hand. when in her presence, you dont turn your back on her, (when you want to leave, either follow or walk next to her...or walk backwards away from her) and when greeting her, you must bow.

She wears gloves most of the time so she cant be touched. its probably about old Purity Laws...but she is a very important person, like a living relic, she must be treated with a certain amount of reverence :laugh: She Personifies more then One Thousand Years of Monarchy, She represents a Nation which has rulled over a third of the World with an Empire. That is what you are Addressing...your not just approaching a person...your approaching "The Crown" thats the whole legacy of this country, back to the Romans.

she is a damm Kraut! ha ha :wink:

County Mike
04-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Well as Michelle Obama come down the stairs, she abruptly told this intern "to get out of my way"

Now, maybe she was having a bad, maybe it was misunderstood but she may well not be as nice as we all perceive!

I've never perceived her as nice at all. She has the typical look of a very bitchy person. Something about the way a constant scowl leaves it's mark on a person's face. She has that.

J.B.
04-03-2009, 02:16 PM
Its like this

when your a visitor in our country, you follow our rules. Its about being polite, manners cost nothing. You might think there is more to life then complaining about an act of rudeness...but its not much to ask of the Presidents Wife...

If you had the Prime Minister in your country, and he did something unconstitutional...how would you feel? How would you then feel if people in England were like "well its only a constitution, its not even that old, there is far more to complain about then a brit breaking the constitution on a visit to the United States"

There are all kinds of rules, that they will have been briefed on. Michelle would have been told not to inappropriately touch the Queen. Its not like she didnt know, or wasnt told. She probably forgot, and probably didnt really think it important.

There are other rules...rules I had to learn when working at Saint Paul's Cathedral, about not turning your back to certain people. I remember once when I forgot, I had just led in London for a Friday Eucharist, and we bowed infront of the Altar, then we were supposed to bow to each other...He bowed to me, but I walked away...so he Bowed to my back :unsure-1:

He actually asked the Canon Precentor if he had done something to offend me, because what I did by turning away was unspeakably rude, and, uncommon for me.

I'd just forgotten...and I went and appologised after the service of course :)

Don't get me wrong Dave....I completely understand the difference in cultures, and I understand that the Obama's would have been briefed on what is proper and what is not....

However, your comparison of touching the queen "inappropriately" to violating the constitution of the United States is not only hypothetical, but it's also apples and oranges.

We are talking about politely putting a hand on someones back. Not a drunken "yee haw" hillbilly slap on the back. More than anything, it was probably a natural reaction from Mrs. Obama. I realize that it is a different culture, but I still don't think that it was anything intentional or anything to get riled about.

Neezar
04-03-2009, 02:30 PM
I heard that the iPod that was given to her had some of Obama's speeches on it.

Happy Listening! :laugh:

Chuck
04-03-2009, 03:19 PM

I've always admired the way the Brits treat royalty. I think "honor" is something this country has forgotten a lot about. We used to honor our parents, our teachers, fireman, policemen....even our President :huh: In that respect anyway I wish we were more like you Dave.

Bonnie
04-03-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't mind the "not touching" rule, but the "bowing" is unacceptable to me, much like people bowing/kissing the pope's hand. If it's in adoration of God that's one thing, but for man's pomp and circumstance, no, I don't like it.

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Don't get me wrong Dave....I completely understand the difference in cultures, and I understand that the Obama's would have been briefed on what is proper and what is not....

However, your comparison of touching the queen "inappropriately" to violating the constitution of the United States is not only hypothetical, but it's also apples and oranges.

We are talking about politely putting a hand on someones back. Not a drunken "yee haw" hillbilly slap on the back. More than anything, it was probably a natural reaction from Mrs. Obama. I realize that it is a different culture, but I still don't think that it was anything intentional or anything to get riled about.
Exactly!! People need to stop judging every step she makes, because they dont like her husband. Give her a break already. I also loved the speech she gave all the schoolgirls. It had a very sincere message and most young ladies should read the manuscript or watch it on youtube. I know my Alexandra was forced to watch it...:wink: BTW Lady Di for being a royal never acted snotty! Thats why the world loved her so much...

Chuck
04-03-2009, 05:22 PM
I don't mind the "not touching" rule, but the "bowing" is unacceptable to me, much like people bowing/kissing the pope's hand. If it's in adoration of God that's one thing, but for man's pomp and circumstance, no, I don't like it.

LOL... I'm actually the exact opposite!

I have no problem with bowing... I actually think it's beautiful that the Asian culture still does it...

The no touching me thing?? I'd be like "who the heck you think YOU are??? :blink:"

Neezar
04-03-2009, 05:42 PM

I have no problem with bowing... I actually think it's beautiful that the Asian culture still does it...

The no touching me thing?? I'd be like "who the heck you think YOU are??? :blink:"

I wouldn't mind doing the bowing to keep up appearances. They couldn't control what I was thinking while bowing though.:ninja: :laugh: However, I am all for the NO touching. I am an extreme don't touch me person (unless I decide I like you and want to, then I am touchy feely quite often.) I don't like to shake hands with someone that I don't know or have just met. I wished the glove thing was 'in' over here and the DONT touch me thing unless invited!

Crisco
04-03-2009, 05:43 PM
This thread title is dirty.

County Mike
04-03-2009, 05:59 PM
I touched the queen inappropriately.

She didn't mind. ;)

KevinD
04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
I agree.

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
Its following protocol like that, that makes people want to oust the royals.

Michelle is the first lady and entirely equal to the Queen.

For me there is no issue, no rule she has to follow.

The Queen needs to be seen as more personable and approachable.

Let me just state, that myself, none of my friends or any of my family are even the slightest put out by this!

Its protocol like that which is about the only quintessentially English thing left.

The Queen is not a dolly bird, She isnt supposed to be approchable. This is the problem with most Brits today. NOTHING is sacred, nothing is regarded as important, nothing is treated with the proper respect its deserved. Instead of a Hierachy that is not demeaning, but valueable...all these stupid equals, treat all these stupid equals with equal disdain!

Its called having Manners...whether you think ettiquette is important or not is irrelevent....if you are a guest in anothers country, you should act accordingly.

Naturally...it was front page news on The Daily Mail :)

Chuck
04-03-2009, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't mind doing the bowing to keep up appearances. They couldn't control what I was thinking while bowing though.:ninja: :laugh: However, I am all for the NO touching. I am an extreme don't touch me person (unless I decide I like you and want to, then I am touchy feely quite often.) I don't like to shake hands with someone that I don't know or have just met. I wished the glove thing was 'in' over here and the DONT touch me thing unless invited!

Oh Denise I can hardly wait until we meet in person... :Whistle: :Whistle:

:D

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 06:47 PM
she is a damm Kraut! ha ha :wink:
:rolleyes: You got something against the Germans :huh:

NateR
04-03-2009, 06:56 PM
In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor. However, it doesn't reflect well on the future of Obama's foreign policy.

Sure, the English have no problem forgiving these little gaffs, but I doubt countries like Iran and North Korea will be so gracious. I don't think the current state of the world is going to be very forgiving of "learn as you go" foreign policy.

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 06:58 PM

Let me try and explain it some more. The Historic position of a Virger was to clear a path through markets and into the sanctuary. Just like with the Jews, the Christians of less then 200 years ago would use the Church as a market place. For years, Saint Paul's Cathedral was even partly open air!

But the Procession was seen as something sacred, and so a man was employed to walk infront of the procession with a silver cane, to push people asside.

Now when I was at Saint Paul's we used to have a guy come for Evensong Regularly who we called "The Angel" because thats whay he believed he was. He had a nasty habit to want to reach out and touch the processional cross as we passed up the Quire.

Its just NOT done

Look but dont touch

I would have to point my Silver cane in his direction if he showed signs of stepping forwards :laugh:

Now, I dont think it was intentionally rude...but what peeves me is the amount of Americans...not just on this site who are like

"well who cares?"

Its about manners, about showing you value your allies, its about respecting the boundaries of other cultures. Actually, the comparison is quite good, thats what I'm trying to explain. The Embodiment of America, is not a person, but two objects, a flag, and a constitution. They sum up what America should be.

The Queen is supposed to symbolise the same for the British...its just, we've pretty much abandoned her. In many ways, she has carries a lot more weight then the constitution of the United States. Her position has been around longer, its been through wars, empires, natural disastors, its effected politics, finances, and religion on a world wide level.

All of that is contained in HM The Queen

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
I've always admired the way the Brits treat royalty. "honor" .
Exactly! thats the word.

and chivilry :w00t:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 07:02 PM
:laugh: Bonnie...your not likely to meet her though are you :ashamed: besides...Women dont bow

they courtsey :laugh:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 07:04 PM
you should try working in a supermarket!

all the customers...they touch you...perhaps they poke you in the back...or grab your arm. Thats about personal space really.

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 07:06 PM
:) My mutters family has Bavarian Royalty so now all you men bow down!! lol.. J/k but seriously the family tree has royalty..

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty minor. However, it doesn't reflect well on the future of Obama's foreign policy.

Sure, the English have no problem forgiving these little gaffs, but I doubt countries like Iran and North Korea will be so gracious. I don't think the current state of the world is going to be very forgiving of "learn as you go" foreign policy.
EXACTLY.

but in a way...that shows how lapse the British are. It shows we actually dont care about our customs. Now the Orientals can be DEEPLY offended if you approach them in the wrong manner.

I still think some of the English Monarchic ettiquette is taken from the Oriental, I really do, because a lot of it is similar, except LESS formal. In the presence of some Orientals, you probably need to geneflect rather then bow....you probably have to be able to walk backwards whilst bowing constantly whilst in their pressence.

They treat NORMAL people, like WE treat the Queen....to Dishonnour an Oriental is to inspire a deep sence of dislike, then can boil over into rage and warfare

Crisco
04-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I actually come from German Nobility aswell :laugh:

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 07:10 PM
EXACTLY.

but in a way...that shows how lapse the British are. It shows we actually dont care about our customs. Now the Orientals can be DEEPLY offended if you approach them in the wrong manner.

I still think some of the English Monarchic ettiquette is taken from the Oriental, I really do, because a lot of it is similar, except LESS formal. In the presence of some Orientals, you probably need to geneflect rather then bow....you probably have to be able to walk backwards whilst bowing constantly whilst in their pressence.

They treat NORMAL people, like WE treat the Queen....to Dishonnour an Oriental is to inspire a deep sence of dislike, then can boil over into rage and warfare
Since everyone is on an appropriate be nice to each other kick. Oriental is considered offensive Dave. Just an FYI.. Asian is used to generalize the race.

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I actually come from German Nobility aswell :laugh:
Right on!! Im a germex or beanerschnitzel.. lol.... See I can make fun of myself...

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 07:14 PM
watch the end of this video.

The guy on the left Bows, the guy on the right geneflects :w00t: actually...I think they both geneflect...little hard to tell with the left

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfIDo6Bnjz4

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Since everyone is on an appropriate be nice to each other kick. Oriental is considered offensive Dave. Just an FYI.. Asian is used to generalize the race.
Nope.

Oriental is a term used to talk about the Far East...or Orient.

The term Asian, is really applied to anything below Russia until you get to China.

The Asians dont really bow quite so deep or as often as the Orientals :)

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Nope.

The term Asian, is really applied to anything below Russia until you get to China.

The Asians dont really bow quite so deep or as often as the Orientals :)
Maybe so, but I work and know a lot of people from countries such as China, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc... They all tell me one thing so maybe it just depends where you live?:mellow:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Maybe so, but I work and know a lot of people from countries such as China, Japan, Vietnam, Cambodia, etc... They all tell me one thing so maybe it just depends where you live?:mellow:
The Orientals I know are mostly the guys who work nights at the store. phenominal workers :w00t:

Miss Foxy
04-03-2009, 08:08 PM
The Orientals I know are mostly the guys who work nights at the store. phenominal workers :w00t:
lol!! Well I have my issues with some, but hey I wouldnt want to strike a debate!! All I know is I told a Filipino sailor off. We were in the commissary buying groceries and he was in his dress whites speaking Tagalog. I told him since when is this the Filipino Navy that he outta be ashamed of himself!! My ex-hubby jumped in it and yelled at him... I was very offended!! And I aint easily offended! :laugh:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 08:14 PM
lol!! Well I have my issues with some, but hey I wouldnt want to strike a debate!! All I know is I told a Filipino sailor off. We were in the commissary buying groceries and he was in his dress whites speaking Tagalog. I told him since when is this the Filipino Navy that he outta be ashamed of himself!! My ex-hubby jumped in it and yelled at him... I was very offended!! And I aint easily offended! :laugh:
I've only ever had issues with a guy called Chen. Only because he was sometimes difficult. Its funny because alot of them spoke very gentle English, but when you listen to them communicating in their native tongue to each other...its very stacato, very abrupt...lots of the Languages in the far east are very harsh sounding if spoken properly.

Its the European and Russians who come across here and dont bother to learn to speak English that pisses me off. I dont mind two small chinese men talking to each other in their language because its quicker and more efficient, but when they can talk in perfect English to me, or if any English speaker is around....its those who dont bother to learn English and shout loudly like they were in Paris or something. :angry:

VCURamFan
04-03-2009, 08:36 PM
Nope.

The Asians dont really bow quite so deep or as often as the Orientals :)In America, Asians will get extremely pissed if yuo call them Orientals. An object is oriental (rugs, decor, food, etc.), the people are Asian. You try to swap that & you'll get your karated to death!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bemnMby08s&feature=channel_page

Neezar
04-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Oh Denise I can hardly wait until we meet in person... :Whistle: :Whistle:

:D

:scared0011: :unsure:

Bonnie
04-03-2009, 10:27 PM

So...you don't like to be touched? :blink:

The bowing you are referring to with the Asian culture is different than what I was talking about. To me the bowing with the Queen and the Pope are about them being "royal" and the bower being the "commoner". In other words, they deign to let us bow to them or kiss their hand.

Like, you, I do believe in respect and respecting certain customs while in a host's country or home. I don't think they should blow M. Obama's faux paux into an international incident, but I do think she should watch it next time. :wink: (Oh, and, Dave, if you read this, I was just kidding about the sign on HRM's behind. :) )

Like, Denise, I can be very touchy-feely with those I like or love, but I don't want some stranger invading my personal space or being too familiar.

I started a new job once and was being introduced to some of the people. I was introduced to this one guy, shook his hand and went to pull my hand back and he wouldn't let go. :blink: I later found out that it was the running joke in the office about how he did that to people. I did NOT like that at all. Gave me the heebie jeebies! :wacko:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 10:41 PM
In America, Asians will get extremely pissed if yuo call them Orientals. An object is oriental (rugs, decor, food, etc.), the people are Asian. You try to swap that & you'll get your karated to death!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bemnMby08s&feature=channel_page
:blink:

Bonnie
04-03-2009, 10:43 PM
:laugh: Bonnie...your not likely to meet her though are you :ashamed: besides...Women dont bow

they courtsey :laugh:

What are you saying, Dave? :unsure-1: How do you know I'd never meet the Queen? :huh:

I was "thinking" bow/curtsy, just forgot to put both. Do you want me to start over with another post and include "curtsy"? I will, ya know, just to please you, Dave. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 10:43 PM
:scared0011: :unsure:
:frantics: he's comin to get ya :ninja:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 10:49 PM

The bowing you are referring to with the Asian culture is different than what I was talking about. To me the bowing with the Queen and the Pope are about them being "royal" and the bower being the "commoner". In other words, they deign to let us bow to them or kiss their hand.

How is that different to bowing before the Emporar of China?

Besides...most of these people will bow back (okay not the Queen...but Even the Lord Bishop of London bows back...You respect his authority, he thanks you for doing so.

is their a Hierachy of power...? Yes...of course...but its there if you bow or not. You might not bow to your boss...but you know he's more powerful right :huh:

Power Discourse Philosophy states that all people are related to one another by a web in which power flows. People you are submissive to, people you dominate. Thats why some things in Professional Wrestling are so widely watched...its often the REVERSE of a power discourse...Its also why protests and strikes occasionally gain support...because the people dare to try and reverse the flow of power.

Its Nietzschean :wink:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 10:53 PM
What are you saying, Dave? :unsure-1: How do you know I'd never meet the Queen? :huh:

I was "thinking" bow/curtsy, just forgot to put both. Do you want me to start over with another post and include "curtsy"? I will, ya know, just to please you, Dave. :rolleyes: :laugh:
:laugh: there is no need Bonnie.

Well...most English people never meet the Queen...so I dont know how many Americans will...but you never know...perhaps some day you will. I never thought I'd meet her...:mellow:

I did, several times...well...not to speak to. But I walked RIGHT past her, and saw her, and performed my duties infront of Her...in a several BIG processions like

:happydancing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YstlGy1Ld0 :happydancing: (btw, at 3.48, you will notice the Ministers standing in a line before the Royal desks...thats so they can Bow to the Queen when she takes her seat...they dont show it on the video...they show mozaics instead...but thats what they do. They welcome her into the Cathedral)

(I also broke her Font...but we wont talk about that :unsure: )

Bonnie
04-03-2009, 11:01 PM
How is that different to bowing before the Emporar of China?

Besides...most of these people will bow back (okay not the Queen...but Even the Lord Bishop of London bows back...You respect his authority, he thanks you for doing so.

is their a Hierachy of power...? Yes...of course...but its there if you bow or not. You might not bow to your boss...but you know he's more powerful right :huh:

Power Discourse Philosophy states that all people are related to one another by a web in which power flows. People you are submissive to, people you dominate. Thats why some things in Professional Wrestling are so widely watched...its often the REVERSE of a power discourse...Its also why protests and strikes occasionally gain support...because the people dare to try and reverse the flow of power.

Its Nietzschean :wink:

I thought Chuck was referring to how people bow in greeting one another which is different from a subject bowing to the Queen.

Bonnie
04-03-2009, 11:04 PM
(I also broke her Font...but we wont talk about that :unsure: )

Yes, let's talk about it! :laugh:

Tyburn
04-03-2009, 11:22 PM
Yes, let's talk about it! :laugh:
:unsure-1: well...if you insist :unsure:

it goes something like this:

In the East end of the Crypt under Saint Paul's Cathedral lies The Chapel of Saint Faith. This Chapel is rather large and was given to an Order of Chivilry like most of the Chapels in the Cathedral, as well as a Dedication to a Saint, they act as a meeting place for people who have been Knighted into an Order.

So Saint Faith became The Chapel of The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire. Every year anyone who had an OBE (they were knighted) and of Senior Rank, (Cross, Dame Grand Cross etc) were invited to attend a Service of Thanksgiving for their Order.

The Queen being a busy person, only attends ONCE in every 7 years for the OBE service. She Attended about this time in 2005.

Now the OBE Chapel was fitted with special recepticals on its commissioning to The Order, it was kitted out in the regalia of The OBE, one such Item was a Font.

The OBE Chapel was used every Saturday several times for Baptisms, and I was more often then not, the Virger assigned to such duties. This meant, moving this cumbersome Font, from the Sanctuary, down to the front of the dais. This font was very slender, and had a HUGE lid that culminated in a wooden ornately carved Crown.

The Morning of that fateful Saturday was about a week before the Order met for their Thanksgiving Service, the Queen would no doubt wish to pass her eye across all the recepticals at the event. When I hauled it out for the last Saturday Baptism. The President for the Occasion was my Arch-Nemesis and Director of The Saint Paul's Cathedral Lay Community, Rev Martin Warner, Canon Pastor, and a full member of the Cathedral Chapter.

The service went well, and then he left at the end, and I began clearing up, with the families of the babies still milling around (and members of the public aswell, since we'd reopened the chapel for visitors when not in use for a Service.

The time came to roll the font away. This meant, tipping it on its side and litterally rolling it back into the sanctuary...it had a circular base. But the lid didnt fit well, so I always rolled the font with the lid off. Once back in place I went to put the lid back on the font...

...and the crown came off in my hand :blink: As I was coming to terms with what I'd just done, this man came up to me and asked "tell me, does it always do that" to which I replied

"well Sir, from Henceforth it always shall" :laugh:

So I gathered up the pieces of this crown and went running to my Confident Charles Williams, who leads the procession in the film I posted above. He got onto the stone masons to try and carve another crown within the week...so that the Font would be ready for HM The Queen.

I on the other hand, promptly booked Holiday and fled North to Bradford for a week....so I wouldnt be around when The Queen arrived...just incase it wasnt rebuilt in time... Coz she'd no doubt enquire as to what had become of her font if it was somewhat missing from the Chapel.

Thankfully, the Stone Masons saved my face. I made a Triumphant return to London after Elizabeth had departed :happydancing:

Bonnie
04-03-2009, 11:41 PM
:unsure-1: well...if you insist :unsure:

it goes something like this:

In the East end of the Crypt under Saint Paul's Cathedral lies The Chapel of Saint Faith. This Chapel is rather large and was given to an Order of Chivilry like most of the Chapels in the Cathedral, as well as a Dedication to a Saint, they act as a meeting place for people who have been Knighted into an Order.

So Saint Faith became The Chapel of The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire. Every year anyone who had an OBE (they were knighted) and of Senior Rank, (Cross, Dame Grand Cross etc) were invited to attend a Service of Thanksgiving for their Order.

The Queen being a busy person, only attends ONCE in every 7 years for the OBE service. She Attended about this time in 2005.

Now the OBE Chapel was fitted with special recepticals on its commissioning to The Order, it was kitted out in the regalia of The OBE, one such Item was a Font.

The OBE Chapel was used every Saturday several times for Baptisms, and I was more often then not, the Virger assigned to such duties. This meant, moving this cumbersome Font, from the Sanctuary, down to the front of the dais. This font was very slender, and had a HUGE lid that culminated in a wooden ornately carved Crown.

The Morning of that fateful Saturday was about a week before the Order met for their Thanksgiving Service, the Queen would no doubt wish to pass her eye across all the recepticals at the event. When I hauled it out for the last Saturday Baptism. The President for the Occasion was my Arch-Nemesis and Director of The Saint Paul's Cathedral Lay Community, Rev Martin Warner, Canon Pastor, and a full member of the Cathedral Chapter.

The service went well, and then he left at the end, and I began clearing up, with the families of the babies still milling around (and members of the public aswell, since we'd reopened the chapel for visitors when not in use for a Service.

The time came to roll the font away. This meant, tipping it on its side and litterally rolling it back into the sanctuary...it had a circular base. But the lid didnt fit well, so I always rolled the font with the lid off. Once back in place I went to put the lid back on the font...

...and the crown came off in my hand :blink: As I was coming to terms with what I'd just done, this man came up to me and asked "tell me, does it always do that" to which I replied

"well Sir, from Henceforth it always shall" :laugh:

So I gathered up the pieces of this crown and went running to my Confident Charles Williams, who leads the procession in the film I posted above. He got onto the stone masons to try and carve another crown within the week...so that the Font would be ready for HM The Queen.

I on the other hand, promptly booked Holiday and fled North to Bradford for a week....so I wouldnt be around when The Queen arrived...just incase it wasnt rebuilt in time... Coz she'd no doubt enquire as to what had become of her font if it was somewhat missing from the Chapel.

Thankfully, the Stone Masons saved my face. I made a Triumphant return to London after Elizabeth had departed :happydancing:

Well done! I say, in this case, not only discretion, but also retreat, was the better part of valor. :laugh:

Chuck
04-04-2009, 04:25 AM

Like, you, I do believe in respect and respecting certain customs while in a host's country or home. I don't think they should blow M. Obama's faux paux into an international incident, but I do think she should watch it next time. :wink: (Oh, and, Dave, if you read this, I was just kidding about the sign on HRM's behind. :) )

Like, Denise, I can be very touchy-feely with those I like or love, but I don't want some stranger invading my personal space or being too familiar.

I started a new job once and was being introduced to some of the people. I was introduced to this one guy, shook his hand and went to pull my hand back and he wouldn't let go. :blink: I later found out that it was the running joke in the office about how he did that to people. I did NOT like that at all. Gave me the heebie jeebies! :wacko:

No I like to be touched... :ashamed:

I was saying I would have no problem bowing to the Queen out of a sign of respect... but if I wasn't allowed to pat her back or shake her hand because she's "royalty"... I'd be thinking... "who the heck do you think you are???"..

as in... you aren't so superdedooper that I can't pat your back... get over yourself. :D

Chuck
04-04-2009, 04:29 AM

:sign0094:

He's serving our country, defending YOUR freedoms and he should be ashamed for speaking his native tongue while in uniform????

Why on earth should he have been ashamed?

How did you find that offensive??

NateR
04-04-2009, 05:04 AM

He's serving our country, defending YOUR freedoms and he should be ashamed for speaking his native tongue while in uniform????

Actually, it's against military regulations to speak any language other than English while in uniform (the only exception, of course, would be for translators who are dealing with indigenous personnel). We learned that when I was stationed in Texas and we had two hispanic sergeants who were constantly talking to each other in Spanish. They weren't allowed to do that, because they were leaving every other soldier in the room completely in the dark about what they were talking about.

Chuck
04-04-2009, 05:12 AM
Actually, it's against military regulations to speak any language other than English while in uniform (the only exception, of course, would be for translators who are dealing with indigenous personnel). We learned that when I was stationed in Texas and we had two hispanic sergeants who were constantly talking to each other in Spanish. They weren't allowed to do that, because they were leaving every other soldier in the room completely in the dark about what they were talking about.

Completely understandable but different circumstances I think. Against regulations or not... I guess I just don't understand whats so horribly offenseive about a guy grocery shopping speaking his native tongue.

Certainly nothing offensive enough to tell him he should be ashamed or yell at him... :unsure-1:

Edit: Actually I searched the military regs a little online and couldn't find any that said what he did was in violation. The only one I found said a soldier couldn't speak another language if there was another soldier present who didn't speak the language. So basically the situation you described would be a violation if somebody was present who didn't understand what they were saying. But a guy grocery shopping wouldn't. At least from what I found but I could certainly be wrong. Doesn't change anything IMO.

NateR
04-04-2009, 05:15 AM
Completely understandable but different circumstances I think. Against regulations or not... I guess I just don't understand whats so horribly offenseive about a guy grocery shopping speaking his native tongue.

Certainly nothing offensive enough to tell him he should be ashamed or yell at him... :unsure-1:

Personally, I get really annoyed when people speak Spanish in public, so I can understand Melissa's reaction. That's one of the main reasons I wanted to get away from the Mexican border.

Chuck
04-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Personally, I get really annoyed when people speak Spanish in public, so I can understand Melissa's reaction. That's one of the main reasons I wanted to get away from the Mexican border.

How come it bothers you??

Do you think there is a difference between being annoyed and telling a soldier he should be ashamed? :huh:

We hear a lot of Spanish in Florida so I'm used to it I guess... some of the Asian tongues irritate the heck out of me.... but I don't think the people speaking it should be ashamed...

NateR
04-04-2009, 05:41 AM

Because this is America! We speak American here! :tongue0011:

Chuck
04-04-2009, 05:43 AM
Because this is America! We speak American here! :tongue0011:

:laugh: :laugh:

Good answer!

Tyburn
04-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Well done! I say, in this case, not only discretion, but also retreat, was the better part of valor. :laugh:
It appears that Ms Obama wasnt the only person to break protocol.

So did the Italian Prime Minister...and this time, the Queen reacted :scared0015:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFgCthVSUwo

Surrounded by the G20 Leaders, Berlusconi of Italy seems FAR to raptured with Obama...and HM The Queen basically tells him to STFU :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
04-04-2009, 01:44 PM

Do you think there is a difference between being annoyed and telling a soldier he should be ashamed? :huh:

We hear a lot of Spanish in Florida so I'm used to it I guess... some of the Asian tongues irritate the heck out of me.... but I don't think the people speaking it should be ashamed...

I think it's great people speak their mother tongues ... people should be able to speak whatever they like ....

rearnakedchoke
04-04-2009, 01:49 PM
It appears that Ms Obama wasnt the only person to break protocol.

So did the Italian Prime Minister...and this time, the Queen reacted :scared0015:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFgCthVSUwo

Surrounded by the G20 Leaders, Berlusconi of Italy seems FAR to raptured with Obama...and HM The Queen basically tells him to STFU :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LOL ... Berlusconi ... he is a thug ...

Miss Foxy
04-04-2009, 03:31 PM

I don't give a rats tail if he speaks that stuff at home or wherever, but your in a UNITED STATES uniform thats pretty much rude in my eyes..I appreciate all the people in our military however lets not get it twisted "IT AINT WHERE YOUR FROM ITS WHERE YOUR AT."

Miss Foxy
04-04-2009, 03:33 PM

Edit: Actually I searched the military regs a little online and couldn't find any that said what he did was in violation. The only one I found said a soldier couldn't speak another language if there was another soldier present who didn't speak the language. So basically the situation you described would be a violation if somebody was present who didn't understand what they were saying. But a guy grocery shopping wouldn't. At least from what I found but I could certainly be wrong. Doesn't change anything IMO.
Grocery shopping on a US Navy base.....Hmmm???

rearnakedchoke
04-04-2009, 04:42 PM
I don't give a rats tail if he speaks that stuff at home or wherever, but your in a UNITED STATES uniform thats pretty much rude in my eyes..I appreciate all the people in our military however lets not get it twisted "IT AINT WHERE YOUR FROM ITS WHERE YOUR AT."

well, obviously he was speaking to someone else ... maybe that person didn't speak english, who knows ... it's not like it is a matter of national security ... he is serving the country and was speaking his mother tongue ... who really cares enough for him to be speakin another language .. at least he is "American" enough him to be in the Navy, more than what most people do

que
04-04-2009, 06:26 PM
we have bigger things to worry about than this

Neezar
04-04-2009, 06:39 PM
we have bigger things to worry about than this

Are you talking about the soldier or Mrs. Obama's inappropriate touching?

If you are talking about the Queen then we really can't afford to be pissing off the British. Aren't they just about our only allies left?

bradwright
04-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Are you talking about the soldier or Mrs. Obama's inappropriate touching?

If you are talking about the Queen then we really can't afford to be pissing off the British. Aren't they just about our only allies left?
no,i think somebody in Greenland thinks you guys are neat.:wink:

Chuck
04-05-2009, 01:09 AM

Gosh Melissa... that's a really neato opinion. Unfortunately I'm not able to share mine with you due to um.... well.... that's just he way it works around here aparently....

Good luck with that open minded tolerence... you should go far with that :)

Oh and BTW... you didn't answer the questions...

What should that soldier have been ashamed about? :huh:

And lastly.... "It ain't where your from it's where your at".... where you're at is in the United States.... AKA the land of FREE... as in Freedom of speech. Interesting the soldier is willing to serve our country and die for YOUR freedoms but you don't think he deserves the right to exercise the same freedoms. :blink:

rearnakedchoke
04-05-2009, 01:27 AM
Gosh Melissa... that's a really neato opinion. Unfortunately I'm not able to share mine with you due to um.... well.... that's just he way it works around here aparently....

Good luck with that open minded tolerence... you should go far with that :)
well, melissa was pissed a while back when people were talking bad about middle eastern, arabs etc ... so now she is getting pissed for a guy serving his country and speaking a different language ... whatever, basically you are good enough to defend my country but not good enough to speak your mother tongue ....

btw chuck, your deleted post was SPOT ON!

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Well, I'm going to bring the "Binghampton, NY" post in here. The article said that the shooter was angry because of his "poor" English and people made fun of him, and he was angry also at either his loss of his job or inability to find work.

It said his sister said he had been a citizen for the last 28 years. He would have been, what, in his late teens or early twenties back then. Why was his English so poor after that length of time. It said people made fun of his broken English and it made him angry. Well, why the **** didn't he learn English. Do something positive about it instead of taking his frustration and anger out on people who had nothing to do with him not learning English and blending in with American society. Note, I said "blend in" not lose his heritage and language that he was born into.

I don't care that people bring their heritage and language with them when they come to America, but it does tick me off that, especially today, that is not what is happening here. People from all countries are coming here setting up communities solely based with the language and culture they came from "excluding" English-speaking America. That's probably what happened with this man. After Vietnam when they allowed all the boat people in, these people set up their communities, but never became part of America. This made/makes it very difficult for police when their is crime against them (usually by their own) to communicate with them. This is what happened in Port Arthur, TX and other communities here in Texas where they settled.

What do you hear when you call the doctor's office or any number really, "For English, press 1, for Spanish, press 2".
They have whole classrooms devoted to Spanish-speaking kids in schools. They want bi-lingual people at the front desks so when a non-English speaking person comes up, they have someone to speak in their native tongue, not English.

This does tick me off! :angry: If I go to Mexico or Italy and plan on staying, do you think they are going to get me an English-speaking interpreter to make my life easier. Hell no!

I go to Wal-mart and two women workers are on the floor speaking Spanish to one another. Yeah, this pushes that button in me. If they are on a break in the back, speak all the Spanish they want; while they are working on the floor, freaking speak English.

If that soldier were off duty with a friend in the store (even in uniform, if it wasn't against regulations) and he were speaking Filipino, I have no beef with him. But, I understand what Nate was saying about them not being allowed to do this while on duty with fellow soldiers.

Didn't mean to talk so long or offend anyone. This is just my two cents; we can agree to disagree. :wink: I guess I'm touchy about this mainly because of all the "illegal" immigrants in this country and this latest incident in Binghamton, NY. :sad:

TexasRN
04-05-2009, 02:02 AM
I think I am going to start speaking pig-Latin everywhere I go. Just for the shock value alone.

~Amy

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 02:30 AM
I think I am going to start speaking pig-Latin everywhere I go. Just for the shock value alone.

~Amy

Touche' my friend! :laugh:

TexasRN
04-05-2009, 02:41 AM
Touche' my friend! :laugh:

Ya know something that I always wanted to know? What sign language do they speak in other countries? Cuz we use American Sign Language. Is there a Spanish or German version?

~Amy

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 03:43 AM
Ya know something that I always wanted to know? What sign language do they speak in other countries? Cuz we use American Sign Language. Is there a Spanish or German version?

~Amy

That is a very good question. I've never thought about it before.

NateR
04-05-2009, 04:43 AM

~Amy

Sign language is universal, there's only one version of it.

Chuck
04-05-2009, 05:36 AM
Well, I'm going to bring the "Binghampton, NY" post in here.
First and foremost I want to say that this man was a coward and his actions were disgusting. I might disagree with a few of your points but in no way is that supporting any of what this piece of crap did. The article said that the shooter was angry because of his "poor" English and people made fun of him, and he was angry also at either his loss of his job or inability to find work.

It said his sister said he had been a citizen for the last 28 years. He would have been, what, in his late teens or early twenties back then. Why was his English so poor after that length of time. It said people made fun of his broken English and it made him angry. Well, why the **** didn't he learn English. I guess that's a fair question to ask... but don't you think a lack of tolerence from other people played a role also? Why is the man's accent wrong but people who teased him and made him feel persecuted acceptable.

Do something positive about it instead of taking his frustration and anger out on people who had nothing to do with him not learning English and blending in with American society. Note, I said "blend in" not lose his heritage and language that he was born into.
I agree.

I don't care that people bring their heritage and language with them when they come to America, but it does tick me off that, especially today, that is not what is happening here. People from all countries are coming here setting up communities solely based with the language and culture they came from "excluding" English-speaking America.
I guess I don't see the problem with that. If I moved to say France for example I would want to live near other English speaking people who also lived there. How is that wrong?

That's probably what happened with this man. After Vietnam when they allowed all the boat people in, these people set up their communities, but never became part of America. This made/makes it very difficult for police when their is crime against them (usually by their own) to communicate with them. This is what happened in Port Arthur, TX and other communities here in Texas where they settled.

What do you hear when you call the doctor's office or any number really, "For English, press 1, for Spanish, press 2".
They have whole classrooms devoted to Spanish-speaking kids in schools. They want bi-lingual people at the front desks so when a non-English speaking person comes up, they have someone to speak in their native tongue, not English.

This does tick me off! :angry: If I go to Mexico or Italy and plan on staying, do you think they are going to get me an English-speaking interpreter to make my life easier. Hell no!
I agree with all of your points. I would be content if all we ever did was have English speaking people who work with the public. If I lived in a foreign country I would love it if I went to a business and heard English but I sure as hell wouldn't expect it.

I go to Wal-mart and two women workers are on the floor speaking Spanish to one another. Yeah, this pushes that button in me. If they are on a break in the back, speak all the Spanish they want; while they are working on the floor, freaking speak English.
I agree again. I've terminated peoples employment for that before.

If that soldier were off duty with a friend in the store (even in uniform, if it wasn't against regulations) and he were speaking Filipino, I have no beef with him. But, I understand what Nate was saying about them not being allowed to do this while on duty with fellow soldiers.
It's actually not against military regulations at all. The grocery store incident I mean.
Didn't mean to talk so long or offend anyone. This is just my two cents; we can agree to disagree. :wink: I guess I'm touchy about this mainly because of all the "illegal" immigrants in this country and this latest incident in Binghamton, NY. :sad:
I understand being touchy about... I would be too. But to me telling a soldier in the US Military that he should be "ashamed" for speaking his native tongue while off duty is both ignorant and racist. I guess if people knew better they would do better.

County Mike
04-05-2009, 06:30 AM
America doesn't have a national language. The majority speaks English so we assume everyone who comes here should speak English. However, we've never declared a national language so we can't really complain about it.

It would be nice if we all spoke the same language, and I think it's only fair that people could refuse to hire someone who doesn't speak English, but I really don't care what language other people use when they're not speaking to me.

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
America doesn't have a national language. The majority speaks English so we assume everyone who comes here should speak English. However, we've never declared a national language so we can't really complain about it.

It would be nice if we all spoke the same language, and I think it's only fair that people could refuse to hire someone who doesn't speak English, but I really don't care what language other people use when they're not speaking to me.

Yeah, I know. This ? was brought up during the Democratic debates and Hillary Clinton answered it--about why we don't declare or make into law that English is the national language. I can't remember everything she said now but it made sense.

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 07:09 AM
I understand being touchy about... I would be too. But to me telling a soldier in the US Military that he should be "ashamed" for speaking his native tongue while off duty is both ignorant and racist. I guess if people knew better they would do better.

Okay, Chuck, it doesn't seem that we are too far from each other on our opinions/views, maybe just a couple of things:

1) I actually felt kind of sorry for the guy when they mentioned his difficulty speaking English and how others had mocked him. I personally have family who were born and raised in another country and live(d) here who have accents and still struggle with the language. So that was totally wrong of people to do that to him. But we both seem to agree that that was no excuse for him to do what he did.

2) Okay, here's the problem about immigrants coming here and not "intergrating" but rather just setting up their "native-born" communities over here especially with "language": As I mentioned in my previous post (and I think this is probably what happened with this guy not learning English after being here 28 years), and I'll use the Vietnamese community as I did before, they set up their communities basically with all Vietnamese-speaking people. They fear the police (which is understandable given where they came from), but when their is crime (usually from within their own community), they won't talk with the police because of the language barrier and the mistrust. This is what happened in the neighboring community where I lived and in some other Texas cities along the coast. It isolated them from the rest of the communities surrounding them reinforcing their own mistrust and creating mistrust in others towards them. (This spawned an effort from the police and leaders within the Vietnamese community to "bridge" this cultural gap trying to alleviate tensions and bring people together.)

I think this is the same problem Arabs and Muslims have here and in Great Britain.

3) I read both Nathan's and your posts regarding soldiers and speaking a foreign language while on duty and off. That is why I have no problem with the soldier speaking his native Filipino while off duty.

This next ? is a little off topic but this topic brings it to mind. Why do we allow non-citizens to be in our armed forces and fight in our wars? :huh: :unsure-1: This is quite amazing to me and puzzling.

Hughes_GOAT
04-05-2009, 08:37 AM

http://worldblog.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2009/04/02/1875277.aspx

:ninja: Someone should tell her that you arent supposed to touch the Royals. But Her Majesty is quite used to dealing with Americans so it would seem :w00t:

The simple rule is just not to get upset if they dont follow ettiquette. Americans on the whole dont :rolleyes: :laugh: (sorry I should say, there are many notourious cases where they havent :ninja: )

But notice...Elizabeth didnt have her gloves on for the official handshake, but by the time Obama was...erm touching her, the Gloves were back on. She obviously sees Michelle as more approchable then the President. She speaks to, and provides council to a lot of important people behind the scenes...if its true she really went as far as to ask Michelle to stay in touch with her..its because there is something The Queen feels the need to keep tabs on, and a place she feels she might be able to offer council.

who's the Queen?

TexasRN
04-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Sign language is universal, there's only one version of it.

Then why call it ASL? Cuz we invented it? I always wanted to learn it. I know a few signs and my alphabet. I should take a class somewhere. That'd be cool. Then I could talk about people all the time and they wouldn't know it. Who wants to go with me so I'll have someone to talk to? :w00t:

~Amy

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 12:48 PM
:laugh: YES :laugh:

dont worry...we are long suffering :frantics:

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 12:53 PM
who's the Queen?
:rolleyes:

Get watching, and get waving your Flag Andreas :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjr-p9Fpktw

Bonnie, look at 7.50-52 and you can see what "the regalia" of The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire looks like, (although the hat with the feathers, I think that The Order of The Garter actually...it gets confusing becuase they all look pretty much...well...the same hahahaha) and thats just the cloak LMAO. I quite imagine THAT was what The Queen wore when she came to the Service of Thanksgiving in Saint Faith...you know...the font :$ underneith its a sort of silver/red/blue type dress

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
That was very nice, Dave. I've never seen so many photographs of the Queen smiling so much. She should do that more often.

We forget just how young she was when her father died and she became Queen with all that responsibility. It was neat seeing the older black and whites with the Queen Mum and, I believe that was Queen Mary, wasn't it (?) and her uncle, King Edward VIII, who abdicated the throne.

She looked very "queenly" decked out in all her finery for the Regalia. :)

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 04:41 PM
That was very nice, Dave. I've never seen so many photographs of the Queen smiling so much. She should do that more often.

We forget just how young she was when her father died and she became Queen with all that responsibility. It was neat seeing the older black and whites with the Queen Mum and, I believe that was Queen Mary, wasn't it (?) and her uncle, King Edward VIII, who abdicated the throne.

She looked very "queenly" decked out in all her finery for the Regalia. :)
I think it was Queen Mary, the same Queen Mary that Purcell wrote his extraodinary Funeral march for....I think both King Edward, and King George were in those photos...but...whilst I know the names...I'm not so sure I know the faces so well :laugh:

The thing I find which must be heartbreaking for her, must be the way in which the Royal family has changed, Shes reigned the longest, and in a few years will alos be the oldest Monarch to reign (Queen Victoria didnt come to the throne quite as Early as Elizabeth) and yet if anything, surely her reign is empitomised by the removal of all her powers...I mean almost everyone has their Independance back...and all these videos you see on Youtube are almost exclusively made by NON Britons...if that makes sense...its as if she finds more favour in the rest of the world, then she does from her own people.

I just think its a little sad...but people will mourn her when she's gone because few have commanded the respect and love, world wide, that she has, and none of her heirs are regarded in anywhere near the same level of professionalism. Elizabeth REALLY believes in the divine right of Kingship. She takes her role increadibly seriously, she HONNESTLY believes that GOD ordained HER, specifically, HER for the role of Queen, she doesnt see it as an accident of birth, she sees herself as selected and ordained...and almost consecrated, to Rule...thats why they lowered the canope over her at the coronation...so noone could actually view the moment of the blessing that made her Queen.

Just like in the days of old, the crowds would NOT be able to see what happens in the sanctuary because of a curtain, to stop the people from actually seeing the moment GOD acts because it wasnt for their eyes. It reminds me greatly of the Consecration of Bishops Ceremony...

Bonnie
04-05-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes, there were photos of her dad, King George. He always looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. I don't think, from what I've read, he was thrilled at the prospect of becoming King when his brother abdicated. I think his health wasn't all that good either. :unsure-1:

Just think, Dave, but for her uncle's abdication, for an American divorcee no less, she might never have become Queen (unless he had no children, I guess).

Do you think Charles will be King one day? I myself doubt it. :wink: I wonder how he "explained" those audio tapes of his conversations with Camilla that went public when he and Diana were feuding to his mum. I imagine she found the whole thing quite distasteful and undignified.

I could never imagine her bringing such embarassment to her position. However, I do think she mishandled the whole shebang when Princess Diana died. I think she underestimated greatly Diana's impact not only in Britain, but the whole world.

I think when she dies, people will be surprised at the outpouring of affection for her at her passing. I also think with her passing a lot of "royal" history and ceremony will be lost.

Tyburn
04-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Yes, there were photos of her dad, King George. He always looked like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. I don't think, from what I've read, he was thrilled at the prospect of becoming King when his brother abdicated. I think his health wasn't all that good either. :unsure-1:

Just think, Dave, but for her uncle's abdication, for an American divorcee no less, she might never have become Queen (unless he had no children, I guess).

Do you think Charles will be King one day? I myself doubt it. :wink: I wonder how he "explained" those audio tapes of his conversations with Camilla that went public when he and Diana were feuding to his mum. I imagine she found the whole thing quite distasteful and undignified.

I could never imagine her bringing such embarassment to her position. However, I do think she mishandled the whole shebang when Princess Diana died. I think she underestimated greatly Diana's impact not only in Britain, but the whole world.

I think when she dies, people will be surprised at the outpouring of affection for her at her passing. I also think with her passing a lot of "royal" history and ceremony will be lost.

Now wasnt that the Edward that Abdicated...also the King that the Nazi party were planning on Restoring once they conqured England? Yes...they wished to share Europe with the King of England :laugh:

As for Charles....Well...even if Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister of Britian, manages to force a change in the order of asscension, based purely on birth rather then gender...Princess Ann would skip over Edward and Andrew...but she was born AFTER Charles, so she cant nip in front of him.

Charles on the other hand has since married Carmilla you know. She would be known as "Queen Consort" if HE took the throne. She would never be known as Queen, even with Him as King, because of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, and because she offers two future Kings.

The thing about Charles is, I doubt his sincerity to The Church...He wanted a Multifaith coronation :angry: How can he have that when as King he MUST be Defender of THE ANGLICAN FAITH :huh: I also dont think much of the common wealth like him...I also dont think he'd be anywhere near as quiet as Elizabeth...you find she meddles with the political system behind the scenes...I think Charles would be like a bull in a china shop...you know...suddenly he'd see himself as quite the politician...and thats, WADR no place for the Monarchy now unless he wants to test the waters of revolution

The big question is what happens when Elizabeth dies...because I dont see Charles wanting to abdicate. IF Charles dies, it goes to William, if William dies, it goes to Harry...if Harry dies it very much depends on whether the order of asscencion has been changed...if the answer is YES, it goes to Anne, if the answer is no, it goes to Andrew...now Andrew only has daughters.

Our best hope is either he dies before Elizabeth...OR he aggrees to abdicate.

I see nither happening :mellow:

I too, worry, that without Elizabeth...many traditions of the monarchy might die off. Now as we are on the subject of Diana princess of wales...watch this video below, it shows the recessional from her funeral. What I LOVE is how carefully its all be choreographed...so that as she passes the grave of the unknown warrior (the slab surrounded by poppies that even royalty must go ROUND rather then over) the piece comes to its climax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_QgNkG5jg

As someone whose led processions, I cant tell you how hard it is to get something choreographed and timed as perfectly as that...btw incase you're interested (sorry to bombard you LOL) below is her processional in...again notice how the Choir Master at the end times the Amen to coincide with the removal of the pall bearers...like clockwork...absolutely beautiful!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNmlXXvl0c

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 12:08 AM
:rolleyes:

Get watching, and get waving your Flag Andreas :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjr-p9Fpktw

Bonnie, look at 7.50-52 and you can see what "the regalia" of The Most Excellent Order of The British Empire looks like, (although the hat with the feathers, I think that The Order of The Garter actually...it gets confusing becuase they all look pretty much...well...the same hahahaha) and thats just the cloak LMAO. I quite imagine THAT was what The Queen wore when she came to the Service of Thanksgiving in Saint Faith...you know...the font :$ underneith its a sort of silver/red/blue type dress

i'm thinking of moving to Europe

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 01:15 AM
i'm thinking of moving to Europe
:laugh: I'm thinking of moving to America :ninja:

TexasRN
04-06-2009, 01:53 AM
So we trade Goat for Dave? :wacko: :laugh:

~Amy

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 01:54 AM

~Amy
yes...you get a bargain....they get...:unsure:

Bonnie
04-06-2009, 02:07 AM
Now wasnt that the Edward that Abdicated...also the King that the Nazi party were planning on Restoring once they conqured England? Yes...they wished to share Europe with the King of England :laugh:

As for Charles....Well...even if Gordon Brown, the Prime Minister of Britian, manages to force a change in the order of asscension, based purely on birth rather then gender...Princess Ann would skip over Edward and Andrew...but she was born AFTER Charles, so she cant nip in front of him.

Charles on the other hand has since married Carmilla you know. She would be known as "Queen Consort" if HE took the throne. She would never be known as Queen, even with Him as King, because of the late Diana, Princess of Wales, and because she offers two future Kings.

The thing about Charles is, I doubt his sincerity to The Church...He wanted a Multifaith coronation :angry: How can he have that when as King he MUST be Defender of THE ANGLICAN FAITH :huh: I also dont think much of the common wealth like him...I also dont think he'd be anywhere near as quiet as Elizabeth...you find she meddles with the political system behind the scenes...I think Charles would be like a bull in a china shop...you know...suddenly he'd see himself as quite the politician...and thats, WADR no place for the Monarchy now unless he wants to test the waters of revolution

The big question is what happens when Elizabeth dies...because I dont see Charles wanting to abdicate. IF Charles dies, it goes to William, if William dies, it goes to Harry...if Harry dies it very much depends on whether the order of asscencion has been changed...if the answer is YES, it goes to Anne, if the answer is no, it goes to Andrew...now Andrew only has daughters.

Our best hope is either he dies before Elizabeth...OR he aggrees to abdicate.

I see nither happening :mellow:

I too, worry, that without Elizabeth...many traditions of the monarchy might die off. Now as we are on the subject of Diana princess of wales...watch this video below, it shows the recessional from her funeral. What I LOVE is how carefully its all be choreographed...so that as she passes the grave of the unknown warrior (the slab surrounded by poppies that even royalty must go ROUND rather then over) the piece comes to its climax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II_QgNkG5jg

As someone whose led processions, I cant tell you how hard it is to get something choreographed and timed as perfectly as that...btw incase you're interested (sorry to bombard you LOL) below is her processional in...again notice how the Choir Master at the end times the Amen to coincide with the removal of the pall bearers...like clockwork...absolutely beautiful!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNmlXXvl0c

Beautiful but so sad!

I can't say I respect Charles much for how he treated Diana or his marriage. But, apparently, he did do the right thing over the objections of his mother and fly to Paris to retrieve her body. I wish Diana had made better choices in the men she chose to associate with. I can't help but feel if she had she would be alive today. :sad:

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 02:49 AM

~Amy

no one is trading me :laugh:

Chuck
04-06-2009, 02:50 AM
Beautiful but so sad!

I can't say I respect Charles much for how he treated Diana or his marriage. But, apparently, he did do the right thing over the objections of his mother and fly to Paris to retrieve her body. I wish Diana had made better choices in the men she chose to associate with. I can't help but feel if she had she would be alive today. :sad:

I agree... it's not like Diana was the most faithful spouse either :wink:

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 02:50 AM
yes...you get a bargain....they get...:unsure:

a bargain? that's funnier than Buffer calling Yamasaki, Herb Dean.

Bonnie
04-06-2009, 05:25 AM
I agree... it's not like Diana was the most faithful spouse either :wink:

I can't defend her in that. Adultery is adultery, doesn't matter which one of them crossed the line first. Two wrongs never make a right.

But, he was just using her from the very beginning. No good faith on his part. So I do put most of the responsibility at his door for what happened with their marriage, and because of that he played a part in what happened to her, in my eyes. :wink:

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Two wrongs never make a right.

make a left

NateR
04-06-2009, 06:20 AM
make a left

Well, three lefts do make a right.:laugh:

Bonnie
04-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Well, three lefts do make a right.:laugh:

Or a U-turn :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 06:37 AM
so do 2 rights make a wrong?

Bonnie
04-06-2009, 06:51 AM
No, just a right angle. :wink:

Chuck
04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I can't defend her in that. Adultery is adultery, doesn't matter which one of them crossed the line first. Two wrongs never make a right.

But, he was just using her from the very beginning. No good faith on his part. So I do put most of the responsibility at his door for what happened with their marriage, and because of that he played a part in what happened to her, in my eyes. :wink:

I don't see it that way to be honest. I don't think he was using her. I will admit she would be a perfect choice for a trophy wife but Diana was simply... amazing. How could you not fall in love with her??? :) I believe he was in love with her... at least in the beginning. He isn't the most handsome fellow so I guess an equally strong argument could be made for her being a gold digger.

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility. I don't think Charles carries guilt or responsibility in what happened to Diana. I think Diana is partially responsible, obviously the driver of the car is responsible and the paparazzi.

Either way it's tragic. She would have brought something to the Royal family that has been missing for a long time.

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 02:50 PM
well the adultorer in all this really is Prince Charles. Camilla was always his "mistress" and now that Diana is dead...look who he's married.

I think the problem with Diana was that she could be a little bit "difficult" and she was radical, something the Monarchy havent really been under Elizabeth

She wasnt liked by the Royals very much, when things started to go wrong...it wasnt just Charles...it was The Duke of Edinborough aswell. Some people even say that Her death hides a conspiracy by the Royals to remove her. Whilst I think thats going too far...there wasnt much love lost between the two familes...after all...her Brother used his speech in the Funeral service to give the Royals a tremendous bollocking.

:ninja: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VUy-wBwBvw (sorry for the fact you have to listen to half of Elton John first :unsure: )

There hasnt been a spontaneous applause like that, in part against the Monarchy, in Westminster Abbey in its entire history... an applause that echoes down the nave for over 30 seconds...

Miss Foxy
04-06-2009, 03:05 PM
well, melissa was pissed a while back when people were talking bad about middle eastern, arabs etc ... so now she is getting pissed for a guy serving his country and speaking a different language ... whatever, basically you are good enough to defend my country but not good enough to speak your mother tongue ....

btw chuck, your deleted post was SPOT ON!
Ok I get pissed if you talk about someone just because of what they look like. Example Arabs, Irish, etc.. You don't think I don't have family that speaks Spanish and German? My fathers parents are from Mexico so guess what when he decided to enlist in the United States Navy our government changed his name from Roberto to Robert and also advised him no spanish speaking will be tolerated my father agreed because he was serving the US. I have no problem with people speaking other languages at all its just very offensive to be on a US base and hear it. I don't give a crap who agrees with me or not and frankly no ones opinion matters but my own. Im not trying to switch back and forth on this topic.

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Ok I get pissed if you talk about someone just because of what they look like. Example Arabs, Irish, etc.. You don't think I don't have family that speaks Spanish and German? My fathers parents are from Mexico so guess what when he decided to enlist in the United States Navy our government changed his name from Roberto to Robert and also advised him no spanish speaking will be tolerated my father agreed because he was serving the US. I have no problem with people speaking other languages at all its just very offensive to be on a US base and hear it. I don't give a crap who agrees with me or not and frankly no ones opinion matters but my own. Im not trying to switch back and forth on this topic.

i don't know how it is now, but when i was in, you had to speak English on duty. especially so in the hospital and clinics because people, in general, get paranoid when a foreign language is spoken around them and they can't understand it. are they talking about me? why are they not speaking English? they don't want me to hear them?:tongue0011:

unfortunately, like in civilian life, there are plenty of non citizens in the military (my experience) who are just there for American dollars and a chance to live in America. they could care less about assimilating (resistance is futile). i wonder how many other countries allow non citizens into their military's?

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 10:02 PM

who is that next to you?

Crisco
04-06-2009, 10:07 PM
i don't know how it is now, but when i was in, you had to speak English on duty. especially so in the hospital and clinics because people, in general, get paranoid when a foreign language is spoken around them and they can't understand it. are they talking about me? why are they not speaking English? they don't want me to hear them?:tongue0011:

unfortunately, like in civilian life, there are plenty of non citizens in the military (my experience) who are just there for American dollars and a chance to live in America. they could care less about assimilating (resistance is futile). i wonder how many other countries allow non citizens into their military's?

Rome did and it worked out great for them:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Rome did and it worked out great for them:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Rome should be an example that PC doesn't work.

Miss Foxy
04-06-2009, 10:40 PM
who is that next to you?
My cousin Lady Leatherneck

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 10:42 PM
:) lets be put back on topic with another groovy video. This was of happier times for the Princess...when she was getting married in Saint Paul's Cathedral :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQpFKLqSPjc

Forget the Princess...isnt the Cathedral fantastic!!

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 10:49 PM
My cousin Lady Leatherneck

Leatherneck huh....sounds very cultured :laugh:

she's either a Marine or her man is a Marine, yes?

Tyburn
04-06-2009, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjURhMRXVxM

...and something for Andreas...to get out his flag and wave it again :w00t:

:happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing: :happydancing:

OMG...Canterbury and his SILVER cope is TO DIE FOR...isnt that spectacular! and he has THE Queens doesnt he...LISTEN to that voice!!

IMHO the Amen was a little TOO slow! HEY...I know the Vestments that the Chapter are wearing all to well LOL (they are REALLY HEAVY, we would have to sort out the Vestments and regularly transport those that would be worn from the store, to the Vestry, The problem with that set is that they are two toned, but different, so the set comes with all of them different...Gold upper white lower, red upper white lower, red upper gold lower...how is a Chapter to determin who wears what and to make sure they look...alright walking next to each other hahahahaha....I think they would have looked better in the Blue/Silver set...but you know...I'm not sure they had that set at that point in time. The Churchill Copes were so much nicer...but obviously...um...grey/black...and that wouldnt really be fitting for a wedding would it...they were after all commissioned for Winstons funeral.

Hughes_GOAT
04-07-2009, 12:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjURhMRXVxM

...and something for Andreas...to get out his flag and wave it again :w00t:

i have a UN flag, that way i don't leave anyone out :Whistle:

Chuck
04-07-2009, 02:47 AM
i have a UN flag, that way i don't leave anyone out :Whistle:

Except for those nations not part of the UN.. :laugh:

Hughes_GOAT
04-07-2009, 06:00 AM

bingo

Tyburn
04-07-2009, 01:18 PM
:huh: there cant be many that arent part of it :mellow:

Neezar
04-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Michelle and Beth sitting in a tree.......

Tyburn
04-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Michelle and Beth sitting in a tree.......