PDA

View Full Version : Just got back

Neezar
02-22-2014, 04:22 PM
Warning: Do not read with weak stomach. lol

From a 2 day Trauma conference in Mississippi. My favs were the cadaver lab and the disaster lab.

The cadaver lab had three different bodies that we got to work on. And I will say that nothing you see on tv can prepare you for standing by the real thing. Only two people in my group had to go sit down though. We said a prayer and thanks to the people who passed and donated their bodies to further our education. Then we buried our hands in an open torso with the ribs cut away to better understand anatomy. We learned how to intubate a difficult patient while looking at a tv screen (camera attached to equipment) and not the patient. And then the last was learning to stop arterial blood loss with clamps vs tourniquets. Thank goodness we were in the first cadaver lab when they were still thawing. The second day they were having to suction liquid from the bodies.

The disaster lab was awesome and well put together. They set up a wreck, a 10 passenger van vs tractor hauling pesticide. So we had to suit up in haz suits, go in and determine alive vs dead and then which need to go first. They had some live victims and some mannequins. They had some walking wounded trying to leave hot zone (will contaminate others). So we had to deal with that also. Second team comes in, we treat only the ones that need immediate intervention, and transport to de-con. A team on other side of decon does any other initial treatment before transport to the hospital.

I had fun. :)

MattHughesRocks
02-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Oh. My. Gawd! :scared0011:

:sick: :scared: :yikes: :crazy: :eye-popping: :bawling:

:faint:

Bonnie
02-22-2014, 11:40 PM

I don't think it's a good idea to faint in the cadaver lab...with Denise in there. :unsure:

:laugh:

VCURamFan
02-23-2014, 12:20 AM
Warning: Do not read with weak stomach. lol

From a 2 day Trauma conference in Mississippi. My favs were the cadaver lab and the disaster lab.

The cadaver lab had three different bodies that we got to work on. And I will say that nothing you see on tv can prepare you for standing by the real thing. Only two people in my group had to go sit down though. We said a prayer and thanks to the people who passed and donated their bodies to further our education. Then we buried our hands in an open torso with the ribs cut away to better understand anatomy. We learned how to intubate a difficult patient while looking at a tv screen (camera attached to equipment) and not the patient. And then the last was learning to stop arterial blood loss with clamps vs tourniquets. Thank goodness we were in the first cadaver lab when they were still thawing. The second day they were having to suction liquid from the bodies.

The disaster lab was awesome and well put together. They set up a wreck, a 10 passenger van vs tractor hauling pesticide. So we had to suit up in haz suits, go in and determine alive vs dead and then which need to go first. They had some live victims and some mannequins. They had some walking wounded trying to leave hot zone (will contaminate others). So we had to deal with that also. Second team comes in, we treat only the ones that need immediate intervention, and transport to de-con. A team on other side of decon does any other initial treatment before transport to the hospital.

I had fun. :)
That sounds awesome!
I don't think it's a good idea to faint in the cadaver lab...with Denise in there. :unsure:

:happy0198:

MattHughesRocks
02-23-2014, 04:39 AM
Yeah, that bitch will stab me all up and steal my heart :lookaround:

:scared0011:

MattHughesRocks
02-23-2014, 04:41 AM
Hey! What happened to the censor thingy?! :w00t:

Yeah, that bitch will stab me all up and steal my heart :lookaround:

:scared0011:

TexasRN
02-23-2014, 08:30 PM
I would donate my body to science like that but my hubby said no. :unsure-1:

~Amy

Neezar
02-23-2014, 09:08 PM

:laugh: I warned you.

Bonnie
02-24-2014, 01:00 AM
I would donate my body to science like that but my hubby said no. :unsure-1:

~Amy

I'm surprised he said no; did he say why? What isn't Denise telling us?! :laugh:

rearnakedchoke
02-24-2014, 01:09 PM
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lb62i4goIf1qamybzo1_500.gif