PDA

View Full Version : Advice...

Crisco
03-31-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm looking to start a small business... Sort of like a side income...

It's a lot harder then it sounds and I'm having trouble coming up with something.

Anyone have a small business that could offer some advice?

Twinsmama
03-31-2009, 09:27 PM

It's a lot harder then it sounds and I'm having trouble coming up with something.

I have a small business. I do it fulltime not as a side income. Depending on what you need I can try and help you any way I can. Do you know what kind of business you are wanting to do? There are a few major concerns when doing a business. First off is the financial strains. If it is only side work and not your primary income it may not be much of a concern. Second is the amount of time that is put into a business to make it successful. You have to work hard and be a hussler the first couple of years until it is built up and then you can relax. I have 2 small children and I can't dedicate as much time as I should which seems like it holds me back. Depending on what kind of business it is will say what kind of time you need to put in. Customers want things done when they want it not when you have time to get to it.

It is hard work but very rewarding. I look up to anyone that is brave enough to take the 1st step.

PM me and I will try to help anyway I can.

Moose
03-31-2009, 09:45 PM
What kind of business? You could mean anything from insurance sales to selling weed.

Crisco
03-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Yea... That is probably my main issue. I have not narrowed down what kind of business I'm looking to get into yet lol. I guess I was just looking for ideas more then anything.

bradwright
03-31-2009, 09:48 PM
do you live in a city or the country?

Moose
03-31-2009, 09:49 PM
Yea... That is probably my main issue. I have not narrowed down what kind of business I'm looking to get into yet lol. I guess I was just looking for ideas more then anything.

I'd watch Blow for inspiration.

Crisco
03-31-2009, 09:58 PM
do you live in a city or the country?

City area.

Bergen County NJ one of the richest in the country(If only I had the money that some of these folks have haha)

bradwright
03-31-2009, 10:06 PM
City area.

Bergen County NJ one of the richest in the country(If only I had the money that some of these folks have haha)
well,you play your cards right and you will have their money,:ninja:

we just have to think this over a bit,:)

County Mike
03-31-2009, 11:30 PM
well,you play your cards right and you will have their money,:ninja:

we just have to think this over a bit,:)

I like cat burglaring.

Now I just don't know what to do with all these cats.

NateR
03-31-2009, 11:34 PM
Well, it sounds like the first thing you need is an idea. What skills do you have and what kind of things do you LIKE to do?

If you're going to run a small business, then you want it to fit a few criteria:
1. it should tie into something that you already do well (for instance, do you have artistic, musical, or creative skills of any kind?)
2. it should be something that you enjoy doing/creating
3. it should fill a real need, in other words, there should be a pre-existing demand for it

One big mistake to avoid is to not just follow the money. If you start doing something that you hate, just because it promises a lot of money, then you're going to burn out really quick. It should idealy be something that you would gladly do for free, just because you enjoy it so much.

Of course, we can't always make a living doing what we love, but it's a good place to start if you're short on ideas.

J.B.
04-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I like cat burglaring.

Now I just don't know what to do with all these cats.

Kick, Snare, Crash...:wink:

County Mike
04-01-2009, 02:53 AM
Get your pro fighters license and make some money fighting in local shows.

que
04-01-2009, 04:11 AM
i don't have any advice on starting a small business except that it is an extremely hard time to start a small business right now. good luck

rockdawg21
04-01-2009, 04:23 AM
I'd watch Blow for inspiration.
LOL, yeah, either that or American Gangster.

Mac
04-01-2009, 04:36 AM
Come up with something simple , that wont cost you a bunch of overhead .

Like say Deck Cleaning . You need a pressure washer , some diluted bleach in a pump up sprayer and a stiff bristled broom. Doesnt take really any skill , Spray the deck with the bleach , scrub it with the brook to knock the mold off and pressure wash it . Simple and pays and you dont have much invested.

Interior painting is another one. Paint that generally the home owner buys up front , your expense is masking tape , drop cloths, brushes rollers and your time .

Car detailing is a big one around here for folks lookin for some extra cash . If you have a heated garage that is a big plus , if not find a dealership willing to let you set up shop in one of thier bays and they get a cut from each car. You just buy all the waxes , cleaners , shamois , etc , whatever it takes to make a car all nice , perty and smellin good. Dont limit yourself to cars and trucks , 4 wheelers, dirt bikes , motor cycles etc

Chuck
04-01-2009, 05:02 AM
There is a lot of money in food and beverage...

something as simple as a hot dog cart you take to local shows and festivals can earn you some easy money. Down here we have folks with hot dog and BBQ carts that will set up on Friday and Saturday nights outside of the more popular bars and night clubs... them make ton's of $$$...

starting a small business for extra $$ is an option... but have you considered just getting a part time job?

You wouldn't have to worry about taxes, up front expenses etc...

rockdawg21
04-01-2009, 05:06 AM
I sell library books for a living and there's a guy who travels to some of our conventions. He sells simple cheap screen-printed t-shirts. In 1 day, I saw him make nearly 1000 t-shirts and at $15 a pop, that's a heck of a nice payday! He said that was one of the best sale days he's ever had, but he usually makes $1000 every 3 days at a show like that (after he pays his bills). Good money.

bradwright
04-01-2009, 05:08 AM
try not to laugh,i'm not joking here,
buy yourself a good hot dog cart and then make a deal with one of the busier
bars in your area that would allow you to set up outside the main entrance on Friday and Saturday nights so you can sell to anybody leaving,

after people have a few drinks they are always looking for some good food,
a friend of mine does this and he said he paid for his $3500 cart in a little over a month just working on the weekend,

bradwright
04-01-2009, 05:11 AM
Chuck and i must have posted at almost the same time,
what Chuck said should work.

J.B.
04-01-2009, 05:17 AM
Working for yourself is great, but you need to have something different to offer to ultimately be successful, no matter what business you are in. If what you are offering is a type of service, you need to find a way to market yourself that sets you apart from everybody else around you.

Like Mac said, start off with something that has a low overhead cost in the beginning. I started working as a DJ part time at bars, parties, and weddings between playing gigs with my band and doing other audio work. Before I knew it, I was getting booked all the time and making enough money to pay all my bills. Then I had to get licensed and start filing taxes.

Tyburn
04-01-2009, 11:33 PM

are you sure its the right financial climate :huh:

jason2130
04-02-2009, 12:20 AM
pest control is fairly simple if ya dont mind bugs and can talk to people, ive been doing it 14 years no matter how bad the economy gets people still have bugs, and with the rise in bed bugs and lice outbreaks in the last 2 years the work is out their

1.the license is fairly easy to obtain, as long as you stay away from termite jobs, study a book a couple days, take a test and you certified to use restricted pesticides (kinda scary how easy it is really to become certified to use/buy this stuff)

2. state to state is different and not sure how it is where you are, but insurances isnt to bad and you buy a spray can for $100 and a bottle of pesticides for around $50 (it will last ya 20-30 house, and wont go bad aslong as kept dry) you can buy extra stuff as you get goin but thats really all ya need, if you want a fancy gun and foggers like the guy on "Arachnaphobia" you can get it but its not needed to get the job done (just looks cool!:laugh: )

3, most get sprayed monthly or quarterly, just pick 1 day a week you want to do pest control and schedule it all at once and expand from their until you got all ya want

KENTUCKYREDBONE
04-03-2009, 06:31 AM
If you weren't so far up North I'd say mowing! If you are a good Mechanic folks might pay you cash to work on their cars!

County Mike
04-03-2009, 01:35 PM
The hot dog cart idea sounds good. You choose when to work (sorta) and control your inventory so nothing gets wasted.

Just don't eat your profits.