PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Liddell Sharpens Boxing with Olympian

Llamafighter
03-31-2009, 01:04 PM
San Luis Obispo, California - Chuck Liddell is getting some extra help on his boxing skills from 1976 Boxing Olympic Gold Medalist ��" Howard Davis Jr., who has been in Chuck’s training camp for the past few weeks. “I’m helping Chuck with his striking and making sure that he uses his hand power to the fullest,” said Davis Jr., who serves as Boxing Director for American Top Team & is Co-Founder of Fight Time Promotions in Florida.

Howard Davis Jr. says he’s providing Chuck with the strong training regimen that professional boxers use. Davis joined John Hackelman, who is Chuck’s longtime trainer of 16-years, two weeks ago and plans to stay in California for another two weeks. Davis Jr. is a busy man. When he gets back to Florida, he plans on putting together his first MMA show as Promoter and is inviting all interested sponsors to contact him at: howarddavisjr.com. Davis’ first show is appropriately dubbed: Brazil VS USA.

Chuck Liddell takes on Brazilian superstar Mauricio “Shogun” Rua in what promises to be one of the most explosive bouts of 2009! The 39-year-old former light heavyweight champion won an amazing 14 out of 15 UFC matches from 1999-2006, and is now focused on winning the title back from Rashad Evans, who defeated Liddell at UFC 88. Liddell is making sure that his renewed boxing skills can assure him a win!

Rumor has it that Chuck is not going out at all. he goes from gym to home. Look out Rua!

Miss Foxy
03-31-2009, 01:58 PM
Im so glad to hear Chucky is focusing on training & winning. :)

Blmfighter
03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I hope Chuck takes this one.

Chuck
04-01-2009, 03:58 AM
Good for Chuck... I hope he tightens his boxing up a little...

Maldonado136
04-01-2009, 04:11 AM
chuck doesnt need a boxing trainer imo he needs someone who will help him use more skills in the cage instead of just looking to land the right hand. someone like greg jackson (not greg himself of course he trains rashad so that obviously wouldnt work)

Llamafighter
04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
chuck doesnt need a boxing trainer imo he needs someone who will help him use more skills in the cage instead of just looking to land the right hand. someone like greg jackson (not greg himself of course he trains rashad so that obviously wouldnt work)

A boxing trainer will clean up and round out his striking. This is as much for defense as for offense. Chuck has a great trainer in Hackleman. Hackleman cracked the Couture riddle for the second and third fights. The problem Chuck had is that his boxing was getting so loose that he kept getting caught. he wasn't hitting as hard as he used to and I think the fact that other fighters (Rashad and Rampage) are training more crisp, tight and technical striking. I think this is a great training move.

When you get with a real boxing trainer it improves your whole game. Head movement, footwork. Look at Rampage. I think Chuck is going to look awesome for the next fight.

Tyburn
04-01-2009, 09:51 PM
I hope Chuck is training well...because remember what Dana White said...winning aint good enough...he must be seemingly flawless :mellow:

Josh
04-01-2009, 10:20 PM
I have never been a huge fan of Chuck but I think it's really cool when a guy changes things up to try to get the upper hand.

KevinD
04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
This just isn't a boxing trainer, For those of you who remember the '76 Olympics Howard Davis Jr. was unbelievable. He was voted the Most Outstanding Boxer of the games. That was a very stacked US boxing team with Sugar Ray Leonard and many more future world champs. Davis will clean up some of the mistakes that lead to Chuck getting clocked in the past.

Chuck also said he is working on his wrestling to sharpen that up as well. I really believe Chuck will win by viscious KO.

Llamafighter
04-02-2009, 12:29 PM
This just isn't a boxing trainer, For those of you who remember the '76 Olympics Howard Davis Jr. was unbelievable. He was voted the Most Outstanding Boxer of the games. That was a very stacked US boxing team with Sugar Ray Leonard and many more future world champs. Davis will clean up some of the mistakes that lead to Chuck getting clocked in the past.

Chuck also said he is working on his wrestling to sharpen that up as well. I really believe Chuck will win by viscious KO.
:sign0011:

Chuck
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM

This was the part that had me the most excited... I wonder if he's working on it to keep from being taken down.... or we see the Iceman take some shots again and do some G&P????

Bonnie
04-02-2009, 01:15 PM
A boxing trainer will clean up and round out his striking. This is as much for defense as for offense. Chuck has a great trainer in Hackleman. Hackleman cracked the Couture riddle for the second and third fights. The problem Chuck had is that his boxing was getting so loose that he kept getting caught. he wasn't hitting as hard as he used to and I think the fact that other fighters (Rashad and Rampage) are training more crisp, tight and technical striking. I think this is a great training move.

When you get with a real boxing trainer it improves your whole game. Head movement, footwork. Look at Rampage. I think Chuck is going to look awesome for the next fight.

He did say he was working on improving his defense and working on his wrestling. He just left himself too open (imho); hopefully he's been working on that. :)

Llamafighter
04-02-2009, 01:19 PM
He did say he was working on improving his defense and working on his wrestling. He just left himself too open (imho); hopefully he's been working on that. :)

Yeah he's definitely working on all aspects of his boxing. It's scary to think how hard he'll be hitting after working with a boxing trainer of that caliber. I think he's got better wrestling than Shogun, too. I think it's going to be a very bad night for Rua. Don't get me wrong I really like both fighters but I'd rather see Chuck make a comeback at this point.

KevinD
04-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Yeah he's definitely working on all aspects of his boxing. It's scary to think how hard he'll be hitting after working with a boxing trainer of that caliber. I think he's got better wrestling than Shogun, too. I think it's going to be a very bad night for Rua. Don't get me wrong I really like both fighters but I'd rather see Chuck make a comeback at this point.

If Shogun isn't in top shape for this fight he WILL go to sleep in the first round. I can just picture Chuck landing a massive uppercut to the jaw and leaving Shogun in a big heap.

Llamafighter
04-02-2009, 01:25 PM
If Shogun isn't in top shape for this fight he WILL go to sleep in the first round. I can just picture Chuck landing a massive uppercut to the jaw and leaving Shogun in a big heap.

Me too:)
It would definitely move him back up the ladder. Who would you see him fighting after that? I'd like to see him avenge a loss or two (jardine, Evans).

pistol-pete
04-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I am really excited for this fight, simply because Chuck has his back up against the wall, just like the Wandy fight. It is put up or shut up time for Liddell. He is talking like he is taking this fight 100% serious, working on cleaning up all his basics. I think Chuck got hung up on the knock out, throwing really bad punches and being out of position(not having the angles) when he threw them. That uppercut that he threw at Rashad when he got bombed was just horrible, he left his whole head unprotected, and didn't do anything to set up the punch to begin with, he just wanted to land a KO blow so bad he got carried away.

Chuck has to go back to his foot work, circling away, using good head movement...

I don't think it is a shocking statement to say that Chuck has lost a step, that doesn't mean he has to stop evolving as a fighter though. Case and point look at Randy. I am sure Randy has lost some of his quickness, but he is still one of the best because he can game plan, and then usually executes that game plan. Chuck will be successful against Rua, and in his quest to get another title shot if he truly has what it takes to evolve as an older fighter, work just that much harder than the next guy, fight every fight like it is his last.

Max
04-02-2009, 03:01 PM
If the shogun that dominated PRIDE shows up I think he will KO Chuck. If Shogun looks like he did in his last 2 fights though, I think Chuck might just kill Shogun. In the end I think Shogun will come in focused and I think he will win by KO in the 2nd.

Llamafighter
04-02-2009, 03:35 PM
If the shogun that dominated PRIDE shows up I think he will KO Chuck. If Shogun looks like he did in his last 2 fights though, I think Chuck might just kill Shogun. In the end I think Shogun will come in focused and I think he will win by KO in the 2nd.

The Shogun that dominated in Pride stomped and kicked a lot of guys in the face to win (Rampage, Arona, etc) I think not having that rule takes some of his arsenal away. We'll see. That Shogun is terrifying.
almost as terrifying as a focused and in-shape Chuck. thsi has fight of the year written all over it.

Vizion
04-06-2009, 02:57 AM
This is it for Chuck...he needs this win if he wants to be relevant in the UFC anymore.

WAR CHUCK :w00t:

MattHughesRocks
04-06-2009, 04:08 AM
Way to go Chuck! Now perhaps he'll win again :w00t:

Hughes_GOAT
04-06-2009, 05:19 AM
i want Shogun to win but i have a feeling Liddell will catch him. i don't think Liddell will improve that much with one camp, being that he's had these bad habits a lot longer. it won't hurt though.