PDA

View Full Version : Hamil vs Vera In The Works For UFC101

Country Breakfast
03-30-2009, 08:26 PM
A light heavyweight bout between "The Ultimate Fighter 3" fan favorite Matt Hamill (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) and former heavyweight Brandon Vera (10-3 MMA, 6-3 UFC) could be added to the upcoming UFC 101 card.

A source close to the bout told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) both fighters have been approached about the fight but that negotiations "remain in the preliminary stages."

MMAMadness.com first reported the possibility of the fight on Sunday.

Although not officially announced, UFC 101 is expected to take place Aug. 8 at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.

Hamill last fought in March in front of a hometown crowd at UFC 96 in Columbus, Ohio. Facing former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Mark Munoz, Hamill scored a dramatic first-round TKO via head kick. It was Hamill's third victory in four fights, and his fifth knockout in six career victories.

He could now face Vera, a former top heavyweight contender who's found some success at light heavyweight. After back-to-back losses to heavyweights Tim Sylvia and Fabricio Werdum, Vera made the drop to 205 pounds and defeated Reese Andy via lackluster unanimous decision. He then suffered a split decision loss to Keith Jardine but rebounded at UFC 96 for a dominant second-round TKO over Michael Patt via leg kicks.

Either fighter could enter the fringe of the light-heavyweight division's title picture with a victory.

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
:unsure-1: I dont know who I would support on this match.

How strange would it be for Hammil to enter contention :cool:

Miss Foxy
03-30-2009, 08:48 PM
OMG!! Vera is on my top list of hotties!! Oh yeah!! :laugh:

que
03-30-2009, 08:54 PM
hammil by eliminating veras strong points a la keith jardine and sylvia. don't be surprised to see vera on his back alot in this fight

Miss Foxy
03-30-2009, 08:55 PM
hammil by eliminating veras strong points a la keith jardine and sylvia did. don't be suprised to see vera on his back alot in this fight Boo!! :shocked: j/k

que
03-30-2009, 09:06 PM
Boo!! :shocked: j/k
haha

i like vera but it is too hard to watch a deaf guy lose. i can't root against him. watching hammill's post fight speech when he lost to bisping was really hard to watch

Neezar
03-30-2009, 09:08 PM
I just don't know if I can take all the 'depends on which Vera shows up' arguments this time around. :sick:

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
OMG!! Vera is on my top list of hotties!! Oh yeah!! :laugh:
:laugh: I bet he is :laugh:

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 09:10 PM
I just don't know if I can take all the 'depends on which Vera shows up' arguments this time around. :sick:
you'll just have to deal with it :tongue0011:

matthughesfan21
03-30-2009, 09:23 PM
WAR HAMILL

Jonlion
03-30-2009, 09:51 PM
Good matchup, both are flirting with really coming into contention, this will be a good decider match!

War Vera!

TheConcretekid
03-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Its not fair... both are fan favorites on the comeback trail;

Vera, a normally exciting, technical, crowd pleasing fighting. He's coming back from his loss to Werdum, and then dropping to LHW losing to Jardine, but then having a 2nd round TKO win over Mike Patt

And Hammill, who is everyones favorite, he's like a living Rudy, but MMA instead of Football, and deaf instead of short. Losing a (controversially) close decision to Bisping then acting as Franklin's tune up fight at LHW, he since has a TKO win over Reese Andyand most recently a highlight reel 1st round head kick KO over a very tough Mark Munoz.

That being said, and, as much as it pains me to do so, I must pick a winner.

And it is, without a doubt, Brandon The Truth Vera.

He has very underrated ground game: he got a full ride to Old Dominion on a wrestling scholarship and then wrestled for the Air Force and trained the US Olympic Training Center and he trains with BJJ BB Lloyd Irvin, so if Hammill goes for a take down, Vera will be fine, if not dangerous, on the ground.

His primary fight style and, in my opinion his greatest strength, is his devastating Muay Thai, with 7 of his 10 wins coming by KO or TKO.

He is a much more crisp, precise, controlled, smooth/flowing and technical striker than Hammill. His clinch work is fierce so if Hammill tries to tie up for a take down he'll end up eating many-a-elbow-and-knee.

I just don't see where Hammill could take this to where he would have the advantage, I give Vera the edge in all aspects; stand up, ground, clinch, conditioning, camp... everything

Wow, that was long. I am sorry, I think I did that more for myself than anything else

ufcfan2
03-30-2009, 10:19 PM
I don't know about Vera being a fan favorite at least not mine. I'll be rooting for Hamil in this one though I think it will be rough for him. Vera definately has better striking,but Hamil think is a stronger puncher..

bradwright
03-30-2009, 10:25 PM
it all depends on which Verra shows up this time:wink: ,

Vizion
03-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Have we forgotten Hamil/Bisping 2 ?:huh:

matthughesfan21
03-30-2009, 10:32 PM
Have we forgotten Hamil/Bisping 2 ?:huh:
not in the same weight class anymore

Chuck
03-30-2009, 10:36 PM
Hamill last fought in March in front of a hometown crowd at UFC 96 in Columbus, Ohio. Facing former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Mark Munoz, Hamill scored a dramatic first-round TKO via head kick. It was Hamill's third victory in four fights, and his fifth knockout in six career victories.

I still haven't seen this... anybody have a link to a video????

rockdawg21
03-30-2009, 10:49 PM
Hammill's been engaging in his stand-up too much. If it's on the feet, Hammill will lose, but if the wrestling Hammill shows up, it'll be a long night for Vera.

I just hope that Hammill isn't going to ruin his career like Koschek and rely on his stand-up all the time. He didn't even try to grapple with Rich from what I can remember.

matthughesfan21
03-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I still haven't seen this... anybody have a link to a video????full fight
http://mixedmartialartvideos.com/2009/03/07/matt-hamill-vs-mark-munoz-video-ufc-96/

http://i40.tinypic.com/23w1cvm.gif

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww225/saihabot13/MattHamillKTFOMarkMunozUFC96.gif

Vizion
03-30-2009, 11:11 PM
not in the same weight class anymoreI know, I think he should have to return straight away to 205 and face Hamil...I believe Bisping knew he lost that fight and wanted to duck outta there rather than lose another fight to the retard (pardon my language):ninja:

bj44
03-30-2009, 11:20 PM
I think this will look alot like the hamill-franklin fight

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 11:29 PM
I know, I think he should have to return straight away to 205 and face Hamil...I believe Bisping knew he lost that fight and wanted to duck outta there rather than lose another fight to the retard (pardon my language):ninja:
:angry: He's not a Retard

He cant hear....and the reason he has slurred speach is nothing to do with retardation...its because if you've never heard a word pronounced before, you dont know exactly what it sounds like....I would guess he was born that way because otherwise he would have heard the words

Believe it or not...they also have trouble hearing themselves

Try saying something you've never heard, when you cant hear yourself say it.

Retardation is brain damage...he may sound like he's got it...but thats not true in the case of deaf people, most of the time their brain is fine, its just the audio organs...but the lack of that leads to speach impediments

bradwright
03-30-2009, 11:47 PM
Dave is correct,he is not a retard,
btw,did you take my advice with Jenns Dave?:unsure-1:

Tyburn
03-31-2009, 12:32 AM
btw,did you take my advice with Jenns Dave?:unsure-1:
No :rolleyes:

Jonlion
03-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Its surprising just how much your hearing can affect you and language especially.

I have said before that as a child i had terrible trouble with my hearing and i pronounced words terribly.

It took me a while to catch up once my hearing was repaired but yeah he is not retard its just that if you dont hear it properly you dont know how to say it.Simple as that

lc87
03-31-2009, 03:03 AM
I know, I think he should have to return straight away to 205 and face Hamil...I believe Bisping knew he lost that fight and wanted to duck outta there rather than lose another fight to the retard (pardon my language):ninja:

Ban for fighter bashing

matthughesfan21
03-31-2009, 03:11 AM
I know, I think he should have to return straight away to 205 and face Hamil...I believe Bisping knew he lost that fight and wanted to duck outta there rather than lose another fight to the retard (pardon my language):ninja:If you truly think Hamill is retarded, then you're truly ignorant....if you think Matt Hamill is retarded because of the way he talks, well then pot meet kettle

Maldonado136
03-31-2009, 03:20 AM
hammill takes this one by UD. Vera hasnt been super impressive in a while (yeah he tkod patt but hammill could have easily done the same) so yeah. plus vera annoys the crap outta me lol. just my opinion.

Maldonado136
03-31-2009, 03:23 AM

how incredibly inappropriate

Vizion
03-31-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm SORRY for saying that. I didn't mean it is MYSELF saying that, but as Bisping because on the show he basically treated him that way (talking behind his back like he was stupid etc)

My own brother is deaf, just like Hamil, and that's how many kids at school treated him. Sorry it came off the wrong way:sad: bad choice of words on my end.

Llamafighter
03-31-2009, 01:24 PM
I'm SORRY for saying that. I didn't mean it is MYSELF saying that, but as Bisping because on the show he basically treated him that way (talking behind his back like he was stupid etc)

My own brother is deaf, just like Hamil, and that's how many kids at school treated him. Sorry it came off the wrong way:sad: bad choice of words on my end.

Worst excuse ever...
Why did you put the :ninja: if you didn't realize what you were saying was inappropriate.

I think Vera's key to success is to utilize the Rich Franklin strat. Vera's kicks are vicious.

Miss Foxy
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Your an idiot dude.. He aint a retard my kids use better terms when speaking of someone who is hearing impaired its called DEAF. Do us all a favor and learn some manners.:angry: I know you already apologized, but I had to go back in an edit this so I guess your not too much of an idiot just be careful what you say regarding physical, mental, and emotional differences . Peace!

Vizion
03-31-2009, 03:51 PM
Your an idiot dude.. He aint a retard my kids use better terms when speaking of someone who is hearing impaired its called DEAF. Do us all a favor and learn some manners.:angry: I know you already apologized, but I had to go back in an edit this so I guess your not too much of an idiot just be careful what you say regarding physical, mental, and emotional differences . Peace!
Uhh...sorry again, poor choice of keyboard type. I understand why people got upset, like I said I meant it from Bispings perspective. Living with a deaf brother (who resembles Hamil as well) I know the type. He's been ridiculed his whole life by certain members of society, people who remind me distinctly of Bisping from the TUF show, which is why I bloody hate him.

OP: sorry about the re-directing of this thread. :sad:

Miss Foxy
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
Uhh...sorry again, poor choice of keyboard type. I understand why people got upset, like I said I meant it from Bispings perspective. Living with a deaf brother (who resembles Hamil as well) I know the type. He's been ridiculed his whole life by certain members of society, people who remind me distinctly of Bisping from the TUF show, which is why I bloody hate him.

OP: sorry about the re-directing of this thread. :sad:
No worries and your a better man in my eyes for acknowledging your bad choice of words. I too should apologize for extending the idiot word :ashamed:

CAVEMAN
03-31-2009, 04:30 PM
I predict that every time Vera throws one of those kicks, he will be going down!

Chuck
03-31-2009, 11:46 PM

Sounds like some BS to me to be honest....