PDA

View Full Version : Kimbo Slice to start a boxing career

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 08:25 PM
He's still going to have 2 more MMA fights, so that's why I posted it in this section :laugh:

Anyways, he admits it's very hard to train for MMA because it's not one-dimensional like boxing. At least he's man enough to admit it.

I honestly think he'll do great in boxing...unless he gets a jab to the chin by somebody 30 pounds less than him. :laugh:

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/story/11514710/rss

Kimbo Slice has sights set on boxing career

March 17, 2009
By Sam Caplan
FiveOuncesOfPain.com/CBSSports.com

According to comments attributed to Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson in a new interview with The Nassau Guardian, Slice could be set to embark on a professional boxing career soon rather than later.

http://images.cbssports.com/u/photos/boxing/img11514709.jpg
Kimbo Slice might try on a bigger pair of gloves. (Getty Images)

Ferguson expressed to reporter Dahalia Smith that he could be ready to make the transition from MMA to boxing as soon as he has fulfilled the remaining two fights on his existing MMA contract, which is currently property of the San Jose-based Strikeforce promotion following its acquisition of select assets from ProElite.

"I have two more MMA fights scheduled before this year is out," Slice is quoted as saying, without specifying for which organization those fights will take place. "Every fighter and athlete knows that you should not switch camps in the middle of something. Also, I train in Florida. My MMA trainer will also be training me for stand up boxing. Finishing up my contract would allow me to be a free agent."

It is believed that under the terms of Slice's old contract with ProElite, he was precluded from competing in boxing without expressed permission. As such, he would likely need to satisfy his current contractual obligations before transitioning to pro boxing.

As it stands now, Slice is currently not slated to compete for Strikeforce as negotiations between the two sides have reached a stalemate in recent weeks. While Strikeforce cannot legally force Slice to fight for the organization, Slice legally cannot compete for another organization since Strikeforce holds ownership of his promotional rights.

Despite a 3-1 record and becoming one of the most recognizable names in all of MMA, it would appear Slice's true passion is for the "sweet science" of boxing.

"Boxing is really my first desire," Slice revealed. "I have a lot of love for it and believe I can do pretty well. [The sport of] MMA is somewhat of a project for me. Boxing is one dimensional while there are a lot of dimensions in MMA. I don't think it would be a hard transition from MMA to stand-up boxing because of my fighting style."

In addition to believing that his strengths are better suited for boxing, there are some aspects of MMA that have apparently caused Slice to become disenfranchised with the sport.

"MMA training is extremely hard," Slice is quoted as telling Smith. "When you consider martial arts training, you have to prepare for kicks to the head and legs, and opponents wanting to grapple and throwing you to the ground, pounding you with their knees and hands, whereas in boxing you just have to be prepared to weave and bob although the training can be just as intense. At this point in my career, I want to take that same drive and focus that I invested in MMA and put that into training for pro-boxing cards."

It would also appear that Slice's ill-fated showdown with Ken Shamrock this past October -- which resulted in Shamrock pulling out the day of the fight due to injury and Slice getting TKO'd by last-minute replacement Seth Petruzelli -- caused him to sour even further.

"In some cases, if you are too far advanced in promoting a MMA fight, anything can happen to the fighter. A fighter can get an injury, causing him to pull out of the fight; like Shamrock getting a cut above his eye and backing out at the last minute. That left me having to fight an opponent who I knew nothing about."

Crisco
03-27-2009, 08:32 PM
Go away Kimbo.

Put up or shut up

mikthehick
03-28-2009, 06:42 AM
He's still going to have 2 more MMA fights, so that's why I posted it in this section :laugh:

Anyways, he admits it's very hard to train for MMA because it's not one-dimensional like boxing. At least he's man enough to admit it.

I honestly think he'll do great in boxing...unless he gets a jab to the chin by somebody 30 pounds less than him. :laugh:

http://www.cbssports.com/mma/story/11514710/rss

Why would one think that? Boxing is the hardest class I'm taking right now, people don't realize just how much technique and strategy go into it. I'm just getting really tired of everyone thinking it's easy when it's definitely not. Your cardio has to be top notch.

Not alot of people can keep up with us for 90 minutes of boxing, drills, warm ups, 15 minutes of jumprope, and techniques.

As for Kimbo, best of luck to him. He doesn't belong in MMA and maybe he'll do ok in another discipline. I don't hate the guy, but he defintely is not the 'face of MMA', as the circus Elite XC claimed. I rest my case.

Miss Foxy
03-28-2009, 06:52 AM
Ive heard it all!!! He is not gonna go very far in boxing. He has virtually no endurance.. Eyes are again a*rollin'................:rolleyes:

ufcfan2
03-28-2009, 03:48 PM
Ive heard it all!!! He is not gonna go very far in boxing. He has virtually no endurance.. Eyes are again a*rollin'................:rolleyes:
I kindof agree with that for sure. At his age and still having to fight two more MMA fights before doing boxing hes gonna be 40 years old :)
Now I don't agree with a promotion trying to prevent a fighter from earning money especially when fighting is all they know. Its not like hes gonna sign with Affliction or UFC he wants to box and thats an entirely different sport.
If u have watched his streetfights it does look like he's had some boxing training so it might not be a hard transition for him. I don't see him fighting any big names maybe smaller shows at best...Now if we could get a AA v. Kimbo boxing match going ya know boxing likes their sideshow matches and we could somehow get Don King involved:punch:

rearnakedchoke
03-28-2009, 03:53 PM
i think he'd be a good boxer ... training endurance for boxing is easier than mma imo ... you know how to conserve your energy as you are entirely in the stand-up and don't need to worry about people taking you down ... the times he has gassed has been when he is taken down and trying to get back up ... also, he lost to seth yes from a weak jab, but it was an unexpected one ... in boxing, you only need to be ready for punches ... dude can go in there and knock mofos out .. i am not saying he will be champ, but he made more than a mill from his short mma career, why not make more $$ from boxing ...

mikthehick
03-29-2009, 05:53 AM
i think he'd be a good boxer ... training endurance for boxing is easier than mma imo ... you know how to conserve your energy as you are entirely in the stand-up and don't need to worry about people taking you down ... the times he has gassed has been when he is taken down and trying to get back up ... also, he lost to seth yes from a weak jab, but it was an unexpected one ... in boxing, you only need to be ready for punches ... dude can go in there and knock mofos out .. i am not saying he will be champ, but he made more than a mill from his short mma career, why not make more $$ from boxing ...

While I agree with ya, it still doesn't mean boxing is "easy". I think it's still harder than most sports out there. Not only do you need to be in great shape and have great cardio, but boxing AND MMA are also about strategy, being on top of your game, and having the smarts to know what to do, how to execute your move, AND figure out what move the opppnent will try to do.

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Go away Kimbo.

took the words right out of my mouth :laugh:

Miss Foxy
03-30-2009, 02:44 PM
I don't know about boxing endurance being easier. I think just because he had a few good street fights doesnt mean he is ready for boxing. He just needs to go back to Compton or where has street fights and never show his face. Neither sport needs him.

rearnakedchoke
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
I don't know about boxing endurance being easier. I think just because he had a few good street fights doesnt mean he is ready for boxing. He just needs to go back to Compton or where has street fights and never show his face. Neither sport needs him.

I don't understand why people don't like this guy so much ... he has to feed his family too ... how many people here would jump at the opportunity to train with the best and get $500,000 a fight? they flashed it in front of him and of course he is going to take it, just like anyone in their right mind would ... and yes, boxing endurance is easier .. when you don't need to worry about being taken down and fighting your way back, you are able to conserve your energy better ... hopefully he does well ...

i think people are more jealous of the fact that they or they know people who have been training for years and this guy comes along with a couple of street fights and gets all this cash ... again, not his fault ....

rockdawg21
03-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Honestly, I think Kimbo would be good in boxing. All he has to watch for is punches. I saw Gannon nail him with knees in that street fight and he took a beating and kept coming at him, although he ultimately lost the fight.

Kimbo can hit HARD. I like the guy, he was always very respectful to the fans, his opponents, and EliteXC. I think most people just hated him because EliteXC hyped him up so much. But it wasn't Kimbo saying anything like that, so there's really no reason to hate him. He trains hard and respects everything around the sport, and the opportunity presented to him. No hate for Kimbo. Best of luck.

Llamafighter
03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Honestly, I think Kimbo would be good in boxing. All he has to watch for is punches. I saw Gannon nail him with knees in that street fight and he took a beating and kept coming at him, although he ultimately lost the fight.

Kimbo can hit HARD. I like the guy, he was always very respectful to the fans, his opponents, and EliteXC. I think most people just hated him because EliteXC hyped him up so much. But it wasn't Kimbo saying anything like that, so there's really no reason to hate him. He trains hard and respects everything around the sport, and the opportunity presented to him. No hate for Kimbo. Best of luck.

Well said

Neezar
03-30-2009, 05:52 PM
War Kimbo! :w00t:

Miss Foxy
03-30-2009, 06:23 PM
I don't understand why people don't like this guy so much ... he has to feed his family too ... how many people here would jump at the opportunity to train with the best and get $500,000 a fight? they flashed it in front of him and of course he is going to take it, just like anyone in their right mind would ... and yes, boxing endurance is easier .. when you don't need to worry about being taken down and fighting your way back, you are able to conserve your energy better ... hopefully he does well ...

i think people are more jealous of the fact that they or they know people who have been training for years and this guy comes along with a couple of street fights and gets all this cash ... again, not his fault ....
Its not that I don't like him I can care less about him as a person not to sound mean im just being honest. I just think that as a boxing fan and boxer or ex-boxer lol I don't like the concept. I think people don't give credit to boxers for how hard it really is to maintain stamina and endurance. I also think that the sport needs some fresh blood just not Kimbo.

Crisco
03-30-2009, 06:58 PM

I liked him until Bas stopped training him. For Bas to stop training you you have to be a screw up.

Now I want to him put up or shut up. Fight some one so you ae worthy of us bothering to talk about you