PDA

View Full Version : Dennis Hallman: "Serra 1st Round KO Over Hughes"

TheConcretekid
03-27-2009, 09:00 PM
MMA Fiend: (http://themmafiend.com/2009/03/26/dennis-superman-hallman-exclusive-interview/)

Now obviously you have a history with Matt Hughes who is set to fight Matt Serra, how do you think that fight is going to go?

Um, I take Serra by submission. Or knockout. Serra starts hard, and Matt Hughes’ weakness is that you can cold-catch him. He’s like a freight train. If you let him get rolling then he keeps rolling and he’s hard to stop. But if you can take it to him you can catch him. And Serra’s a smart guy, he knows that by watching him. So he’s probably going to take it to Matt right off the bat, and it should be a first rounder for Serra.

Crisco
03-27-2009, 09:01 PM
Little to much confidence in Serra. Still atleast it was a well thought out statement instead of "Serra by whatever he wants yada yada"

He gave a decent game plan but Hughes is 100% ready for that.

matthughesfan21
03-27-2009, 09:02 PM
Little to much confidence in Serra. Still atleast it was a well thought out statement instead of "Serra by whatever he wants yada yada"

He gave a decent game plan but Hughes is 100% ready for that.agreed, I absolutely think he's wrong, but at least he didn't come out bashing and junk like that

Preach
03-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Matt is far from the same fighter he was when he faced Hallman... I think he has it wrong and also I would like to say I hope Serra comes out quick like that... Blow his wad then Hughes GNP from side mount all the fight

Tyburn
03-27-2009, 09:14 PM
MMA Fiend: (http://themmafiend.com/2009/03/26/dennis-superman-hallman-exclusive-interview/)
what would Dennis Hallman know :huh:

TheConcretekid
03-27-2009, 09:22 PM
what would Dennis Hallman know :huh:

He's still relevant in MMA, lets see his last fight was against a nobody in the pitiful March Badness. Then before that he tested positive for drostanolone and nandrolone, then before that he went 3-3 with losses coming from Jorge Rivera, a guy who was 6-5 in the IFL, and one from the very tough Euphoria-USA vs. Russia show.....:mellow:

Edit: Just saw your sig and now it is my life goal to be described as Vampiric

Tyburn
03-27-2009, 09:50 PM
He's still relevant in MMA, lets see his last fight was against a nobody in the pitiful March Badness. Then before that he tested positive for drostanolone and nandrolone, then before that he went 3-3 with losses coming from Jorge Rivera, a guy who was 6-5 in the IFL, and one from the very tough Euphoria-USA vs. Russia show.....:mellow:

Edit: Just saw your sig and now it is my life goal to be described as Vampiric
Has Dennis ever even fought Serra?

Its easy for Hallman to say anyone can beat Hughes, because from his perspective he is one of the very few who caught Hughes very early in his career....but that doesnt mean Serra can do it...Hallmans knowledge of Matt is what...nearly 10 years out of date??? His practical knowledge of Serra is...What?

Figures that whoever you ask Hallman of the question, who will beat Matt Hughes...Hallman always projects himself into the role of opponent. He won...why shouldnt they.

But it doesnt work like that :laugh: Still, I hope it provides Serra some comfort...may he enjoy it like he would a "hearty meal...before tommorows execution" :)

Miss Foxy
03-27-2009, 10:06 PM
MMA Fiend: (http://themmafiend.com/2009/03/26/dennis-superman-hallman-exclusive-interview/) Glad he has that much faith in Serra cuz we all know Matt can hold his own!! :)

cheachea
03-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I've siad it before, but man I hope Matt gets one last chance to destroy Hallman. We all know Hughes would completly destroy Hallman now.

ufcfan2
03-27-2009, 10:42 PM
Im thinking this Dennis guy is trying to talk smack so he can be put back on the 'big boys' map and get a shot at Matt in the UFC or I could be a tad off on that assumption..:frantics:

TexasRN
03-27-2009, 10:54 PM
I am assuming that rockdawg is being sarcastic. If not, then today is a bad day to start something. I'm so not in the mood.

~Amy

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 11:13 PM
Sarcastic? What does that mean? :blink:

NateR
03-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Sarcastic? What does that mean? :blink:

You're only a few clicks away from having your posting abilities on this site restricted. So you really need to hope that you were being sarcastic.

Preach
03-27-2009, 11:17 PM
Jokes are fine and funny but there are a few exceptions.... I find this one classless and ignorant

rockdawg21
03-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I was just making fun of Hallman in a sarcastic manner. Didn't mean to upset anybody here. Sorry.

Preach
03-27-2009, 11:26 PM
cool beans corn bread

TexasRN
03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
cool beans corn bread

You're going to make me hungry. :laugh:

~Amy

rearnakedchoke
03-28-2009, 05:59 AM
Dennis Hallman?? Man, he is about as relevent as Jens Pulver is as a fighter ...... Matt will stifle Serra and out work him all night long

Jason 16
03-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Dennis Hallman?? Man, he is about as relevent as Jens Pulver is as a fighter ...... Matt will stifle Serra and out work him all night long
O.....God here comes dave

mikthehick
03-28-2009, 07:37 AM
Dennis Hallman is a bonehead.....

He should stay away from gambling, since he's obviously bad at it....:blink:

Tyburn
03-28-2009, 01:16 PM
:angry:

CAVEMAN
03-28-2009, 10:27 PM
Hallman needs to lay off the Crack!

Vizion
03-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Hmm...noticed that Hallman has beat Matt twice:cry:

Any chance Matt could get another shot (tho Hallman isn't UFC anymore-like with Royce)?

Chris F
03-28-2009, 11:33 PM
This dude needs to pinch himself because he is in a dream world.

matthughesfan21
03-28-2009, 11:52 PM
Hmm...noticed that Hallman has beat Matt twice:cry:

Any chance Matt could get another shot (tho Hallman isn't UFC anymore-like with Royce)?
what does matt have to gain by fighting a guy that beat him almost 10 years ago, Hallmans career fizzled, Matt's exploded....there is no reason matt should feel that he needs that fight to redeem himself, I think 9 belts is a good redeemer

MMeh
03-29-2009, 03:22 AM
what does matt have to gain by fighting a guy that beat him almost 10 years ago, Hallmans career fizzled, Matt's exploded....there is no reason matt should feel that he needs that fight to redeem himself, I think 9 belts is a good redeemer

Agreed. However, if I were Hallman, I would bring that up as much as possible because that is dude's only shot for a real payday before he hangs it up.

As to his analysis of Hughes-Serra, it's like his victories - valid but dated. Hallman's basis of knowledge of Matt Hughes is a wrestler with limited sub defense skills/knowledge. That has changed to say the least (e.g. Matt out-grappling Royce freaking Gracie, etc.). Does Serra have a chance by lucky punch/sub - of course. But for Serra to win, he needs to fight perfectly AND Hughes to make a mistake. Hughes beats Serra with his C game, and seeing as he really doesn't like this guy, I'm guessing we see the best Matt Hughes possible and Serra is getting beat.

Vizion
03-29-2009, 04:11 PM
[QUOTE=MMeh] Hallman's basis of knowledge of Matt Hughes is a wrestler with limited sub defense skills/knowledge. That has changed to say the least (e.g. Matt out-grappling Royce freaking Gracie, etc.). [QUOTE]Good points, all. But Hallman has won more fights using submissions (77%) than Matt has. And Hallman is still relevant because he is fighting and winning.

I think he'd prove himself a serious threat to Matt Hughes, but there's only one way to find out now (not that it will ever happen).

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 04:46 PM
I think he'd prove himself a serious threat to Matt Hughes, but there's only one way to find out now (not that it will ever happen).
it goes something like this

Everyone should be treated as a serious threat...some people are...and some people are not :ninja:
:laugh:

Vizion
03-29-2009, 06:50 PM
it goes something like this

Everyone should be treated as a serious threat...some people are...and some people are not :ninja:
2 defeats later I'd consider him a serious threat, sorry, I don't care how much better Matt has gotten since. :ninja:

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 07:02 PM
2 defeats later I'd consider him a serious threat, sorry, I don't care how much better Matt has gotten since. :ninja:
Like I said...everyone should be considered a serious threat...but in all honnesty, Neither person is going to be like they were ten years ago.

Dennis Hallman has pretty much been forgotten ever since...like BJ Penn at Welterweight his only claim to fame is beating Hughes. Whilst thats some accomplishment...it does in the case of Hallman appear to be about his only major one...and it was a very long time ago

Matt Hughes went on to be the most dominant and most long running Champion the following Decade...what has Hallman achieved in that time to make you think he is still a threat?

What calibre people is Hallman even fighting :huh:

Nine Titles changes someone. If they fought again, Hughes has that weight of knowledge behind him, all the knowledge of MFS at his disposal, all the knowledge from his own HIT Squad, Knowledge from two title reigns in the premier, and one of the most stacked divisions to boot, Knowledge of fighting the likes of Georges Saint Pierre, Baby Jay Penn, Royce Gracie, Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg (Scrap the latter for hardcore knowledge and settle with fun :laugh: )

Hallman brings What to the table :huh:

I'm not out to be mean to Hallman. He is stuck in the past, he is one of the few to beat Hughes, from his perspective, anyone can beat Hughes, because he could....but he's ten years out dated...and Matt Serra is not BJ Penn, nor is he GSP

So...treat them ALL like serious threats, that way YOU dont make a mistake...but for the rest of the world...lets try and keep things in perspective :ninja:

Vizion
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
But if Hallman is still fighting he is still evolving in fighting, just like Matt. So where is he today? He's prolly much better 10 years later than he is today technically speaking. If the UFC ever brought him back I wouldn't be suprised to see a rematch.

matthughesfan21
03-29-2009, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=MMeh] Hallman's basis of knowledge of Matt Hughes is a wrestler with limited sub defense skills/knowledge. That has changed to say the least (e.g. Matt out-grappling Royce freaking Gracie, etc.). [QUOTE]Good points, all. But Hallman has won more fights using submissions (77%) than Matt has. And Hallman is still relevant because he is fighting and winning.

against who though? think of the level of competition since they last fought, Hallman in small shows, Matt at the top...If I went down to the local elementary school, I guarantee I can tap out 77% of them, that doesn't mean I can do it to the elite fighters

Spiritwalker
03-29-2009, 08:30 PM
[QUOTE=Vizion][QUOTE=MMeh] Hallman's basis of knowledge of Matt Hughes is a wrestler with limited sub defense skills/knowledge. That has changed to say the least (e.g. Matt out-grappling Royce freaking Gracie, etc.).
against who though? think of the level of competition since they last fought, Hallman in small shows, Matt at the top...If I went down to the local elementary school, I guarantee I can tap out 77% of them, that doesn't mean I can do it to the elite fighters

Nice point that many people who love the numbers game just forget about...

Vizion
03-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Everyone starts on the smaller shows, even Matt fought low level talent fighters before. That doesn't rule Hallman out - from all accounts he has excellent submission skills and can fight. Sure, Hallman hasn't faced the same level of talent, but he has experience to make him a threat, and a record of wins over Matt that IMO would make for an interesting rematch.

matthughesfan21
03-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Everyone starts on the smaller shows, even Matt fought low level talent fighters before. That doesn't rule Hallman out - from all accounts he has excellent submission skills and can fight. Sure, Hallman hasn't faced the same level of talent, but he has experience to make him a threat, and a record of wins over Matt that IMO would make for an interesting rematch.
yeah they all start out small and like Matt some work there way up and stay there...Hallman started small went big, started losing and went small again....theres the difference

bj44
03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Hallman has lost to trigg twice fyi

He wouldnt stand much of a chance against matt now days. Unless he knows somthing we all dont lol.

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 10:18 PM
If the UFC ever brought him back.
Ask yourself, why the UFC havent done that :ninja:

They know more then me or you, because they have "scouts" who attend events to see tallent with employment opportunities in mind, and they keep tabs on old employees.

If they believed half of what you do...they'd bring him back like a shot...they obviously dont believe its even worth the effort to market such an idea. That to me tells you that Hallman HASNT advanced enough for it to be the same proportion as it was. Better? maybe, in ten years you would hope for improvement...but as far ahead of Hughes as he was when they last fought...Evidently, not close enough for them to do a Gracie style properganda campaign

"no...Hallman can win...honnest...truely..look if we make him bigger on the page then Hughes, and make his name larger...perhaps we can convince...."

Sorry Vizion...but the UFC havent bothered...that should tell you something :ninja:

Vizion
03-29-2009, 10:35 PM
The UFC rarly asks back people they cut. Some of those fighters stil CAN fight well. Maybe they see no profit in returning Hallman, er maybe they don't see it

...yet:w00t:

Vizion
03-29-2009, 10:38 PM
yeah they all start out small and like Matt some work there way up and stay there...Hallman started small went big, started losing and went small again....theres the difference So then he couldn't possibly pose a threat to Matt? We all know anything's possible.

Perhaps it just isn't a marketable idea, but I wouldn't say its because it would only be route. :wink:

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 10:46 PM
Perhaps it just isn't a marketable idea, but I wouldn't say its because it would only be route. :wink:
Anything is marketable...but it has to be profitable enough to cover the marketting and then some.

Hallman/Hughes isnt profitable

Vizion
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
Hallman/Hughes isnt profitablehmmm...ANY Matt fight is profitable tho. It's like theatre to some people more than sport. I think this would be a profitable fight, heck, there has GOT to be less interesting fights had at the UFC that have turned out to be profitable.

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 11:08 PM
hmmm...ANY Matt fight is profitable tho. It's like theatre to some people more than sport. I think this would be a profitable fight, heck, there has GOT to be less interesting fights had at the UFC that have turned out to be profitable.
what...like Hughes/Riggs was profitable :huh:

Vizion
03-29-2009, 11:26 PM
what...like Hughes/Riggs was profitable :huh:I don't know, was it? And it profited Matt two awesome wins did it not? And Dana White said Matt/Trigg 2 was his favorite fight ever. Seems profitable to me....:huh:

Tyburn
03-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I don't know, was it? And it profited Matt two awesome wins did it not? And Dana White said Matt/Trigg 2 was his favorite fight ever. Seems profitable to me....:huh:
Not Frank Trigg

Joe Riggs...the fool who got his shot at the expense of Karo Parisyan, but failed to make weight...and then pretty much failed to fight.

I'd say it was a dissapointment....to all...Dana White who saw a nice title fight pot, go down the swanny, Hughes who had to fight at catch weight AGAIN because some fool couldnt be arsed to make weight...and Joe Riggs who on top of blowing his chance at competing for the title...then showed why the Instituon cant put just anyone infront of Hughes.

...and the audience...who already wanted to see Parisyan/Hughes...well...bet they were right chuffed to see Hughes spend about 20 seconds demonstrating an arm lock :laugh:

Vizion
03-29-2009, 11:38 PM
Sorry, my bad for not reading it right. I thought the Riggs fight was great myself, it was one of the first fights that got me interested in Matt an the UFC in the first place. I've since been ordering ppv's to the tune of $$$ - I'd say that fights demonstration of Matt's technical skills and power made for a profitable one myself bc it made for an intrguing figure this, person of matt Hughes that is :wink:

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
Sorry, my bad for not reading it right. I thought the Riggs fight was great myself, it was one of the first fights that got me interested in Matt an the UFC in the first place. I've since been ordering ppv's to the tune of $$$ - I'd say that fights demonstration of Matt's technical skills and power made for a profitable one myself bc it made for an intrguing figure this, person of matt Hughes that is :wink:

It was the first Event I ever saw on TV

Before I even joined this forum. I just thought Riggs shouldnt have been in the same organization as Hughes...I mean...he just lay there and took it...he didnt even try

Whats the point in seeing Hughes smush for the sake of smushing???

I mean...with Serra, he's done things that make you WANT him to fight Hughes, just to see Hughes Smush him...but Riggs was like...well we have to get Matt to fight someone....and Hallman, I fear would look equally as...inept

If Serra wernt such a McShouty, I wouldnt want to see Hughes fight him neither. :laugh:

Vizion
03-30-2009, 12:11 AM
Whats the point in seeing Hughes smush for the sake of smushing???

I mean...with Serra, he's done things that make you WANT him to fight Hughes, just to see Hughes Smush him...but Riggs was like...well we have to get Matt to fight someone....and Hallman, I fear would look equally as...inept

If Serra wernt such a McShouty, I wouldnt want to see Hughes fight him neither. :laugh: That's the point of smushing!:laugh: Who likes to watch 2 friends fight? It's all about theatre. That's how they draw in the profits.

Maybe Hallman is inserting his mouth into the picture precisley to draw the attention of the UFC. Mayhaps, just mayhaps, that will lead to a fight. And we all know Matt never can say no when Dana White comes a callin'!:laugh:

As for Serra McShouty, yea, vengeance will be bitter sweet. :punch:

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 12:13 AM
That's the point of smushing!:laugh: Who likes to watch 2 friends fight? It's all about theatre. That's how they draw in the profits.

Maybe Hallman is inserting his mouth into the picture precisley to draw the attention of the UFC. Mayhaps, just mayhaps, that will lead to a fight. And we all know Matt never can say no when Dana White comes a callin'!:laugh:

As for Serra McShouty, yea, vengeance will be bitter sweet. :punch:
Even if it did happen...like I've pointed out.

What EXACTLY makes Hallman a BIG threat?? Two victories ten years ago :blink:

Thats a bit of a B-J-Penn-Stretch-of-belief isnt it :huh:

Vizion
03-30-2009, 12:17 AM
And like I said, it's not ony about percieved threats, it's about profits. If there were enough interest in this fight, the UFC has a goldmine of a backstory to justify it. The foundation has been laid, they would just need to build on it.

I think it would be cool to see Matt smuch Hallman myself! But alas, this is a waste of time in discussing isn't it:wacko:

Tyburn
03-30-2009, 12:32 AM
And like I said, it's not ony about percieved threats, it's about profits. If there were enough interest in this fight, the UFC has a goldmine of a backstory to justify it. The foundation has been laid, they would just need to build on it.

I think it would be cool to see Matt smuch Hallman myself! But alas, this is a waste of time in discussing isn't it:wacko:
You've changed your tune.

Less then a page ago you were saying that Hallman could beat Hughes :blink: Now your saying Hughes would smush Hallman,...its make your mind up time :rolleyes:

The only one "perceiving" threats was you...and it was I who mentioned profits...stop stealling MY memories!!

Vizion
03-30-2009, 06:25 AM
I said anything is possible. Because....anyhing is possible in a fight.:tongue0011:

que
03-30-2009, 06:41 AM
serra is gonna get KTFO

Max
03-31-2009, 12:46 AM

the thing is there is really no reason for the UFC to put this fight together. Fist off the UFC does not want Hallman, if they did he would be in the UFC. Second, the UFC gains nothing from this fight. If Hallman wins, who cares, he was 2-0 vs Matt 3-0 is not that big a deal. If Matt wins, who cares, he is still 1-2 vs Hallman and all his one win did was prove what everyone already knows (he is a better fighter now than Hallman is). This fight also does nothing for Matt. It does nothing to improve his legacy. In the end this fight is never going to happen because no one gets anything out of it.

Vizion
03-31-2009, 04:50 AM
Yea, I can agree with that.

Miss Foxy
03-31-2009, 03:15 PM
HOLLA!! Very well put indeed. Come on Rip Van Hallman you must have been sleeping to know that Matts career did explode. Stop living in the past and put your money where your mouth is cause your gonna get taken straight to the bank $....:laugh: